Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

whos looking forward to it?

Laura best girl

Her cousin was hotter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Every woman on Twin Peaks was gorgeous, including the Log Lady. Especially the Log Lady.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GET loving HYPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRh2L7tJqcI

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

I'm REALLY excited about this new season OP, but I gotta say I'm not looking forward to some of the GBS hot takes about this show. It seems to me that a lot of people here like to be contrarian just for the sake of it, which is a really lovely attitude to take through life.

I don't know if it's possible to take a contrarian stance on David Lynch's work, most of it resides in a quantum state where it is simultaneously good and bad.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It sucks that Harry Truman isn't coming back

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When people talk about season 2 being terrible they're generally talking about after everything after the resolution of Laura Palmer's murder right? Because I think those first 9 episodes of season 2 are every bit as good as the first season, and if the show ended there it would more or less be considered a perfect run.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think my favorite scene might be when the rear end in a top hat jock teen's army dad meets him in the diner and tells him about the dream he had where he was proud of him and everything was okay. It comes from nowhere and I think goes nowhere, but it's just an unexpected, beautiful moment.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Dennis System posted:

Best girl was Madchen Amick, although I have no idea if she held up. (Also, Madchen is german for "girl", so her parents basically named their daughter "girl", which is odd.)

She looks like she's had a lot of work done; meanwhile Peggy Lipton somehow looks better at 70.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7NitmzzZX8

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Every post, review, and thinkpiece is "aww man, this is full-on Lynch, I think people are going to hate this but I (a man of refined tastes) loving love it", and actually nobody is saying they don't like it because the people who wouldn't like it knew not to watch it to begin with.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Paladinus posted:

I don't know why they had to go with two brothers Truman just because the original Harry wasn't available. Donna was played by a different actress in FWWM, and ostensibly Harry Truman could look like anything after 25 years. But they went through the trouble of introducing his brother, who is basically the same character, in the official novel before season three and stuff. Lynch loves the theme of duality, so who knows.

As far as the show is concerned, it's basically no trouble at all to introduce him as a separate character; it takes like 5 seconds. The recasting in FWWM was kind of unavoidable by virtue of it being a prequel.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I thought The Man from Another Place was dead, but actually he passed on the new series because of money and also had a big meltdown on Facebook where he accused Lynch of raping his own daughter and having Jack Nance murdered and also said Twin Peaks was boring :rip:

So anyway, that's why he's a brain on a tree now

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I'll give it a shot but I have very low expectations for any 90s TV revival.

It's better than Fuller House, but not as good as a theoretical David Lynch-directed Fuller House.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The real Michelle has been stuck in the black lodge ever since her horse riding accident at the end of the original series.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

WaryWarren posted:

the olsen twins being raped and killed by bob saget. lol

C'mon, we know who the real culprit would be

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neurosis posted:

yeah. people complain about this being slow but it's moving at light speed relative to the original series. this is just the good stuff [if the relativity expression there made anyone reading this feel a strong compulsion to correct me go kill yourself you are the ur-goon].

I guess it depends on how you define pace- Twin Peaks chewed through tons of plot every episode, it was just that barely any of it mattered.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

1 sentence review

https://mu6.me/144614

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If they had decided to recast BOB (separate from evil coop), Brett Gelman would have been a pretty good choice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm halfway through the pilot, S1,E1. This sucks so far, when does it get good?

It gets good when Jack Nance says his "She's DEAD. WRAPPED in PLAStic."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

basic hitler posted:

anyone who thinks the black lodge and the supernatural elements of the show are some figurative display of trauma or w/e are dumbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Within the world of Twin Peaks they are literal, but within our world, watching Twin Peaks on television, they are representations of abstract ideas like pain and sorrow (garmonbozia)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Coop gonna be back in the last, or second to last episode. There's the shot of him driving from the trailer we still haven't seen, and Dougie can't drive.

That could be evil Cooper in disguise.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This one is intentionally going to end with more cliffhangers than season 2 did.

-Does the last thing Dougie says mean that he's Cooper again?
-What happens to the Sheriff's department after it turns out Frank Truman is Harry's doppelganger, not his brother?
-What did Tina say?
-What was on James' setlist for the roadhouse that caused Trent Reznor to self immolate?
-Will Dr. Jacoby and Nadine be able to shovel themselves out of the poo poo with an unpainted shovel?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Odddzy posted:

SPOILERS ON EPISODE 16

So I guess the real Diane got killed by BadCoop the night he visited her and replaced her with a fake of her to be used as a spy?

She said she's at the Sheriff's station. That's where the real one is.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Some interesting things about 18:

The woman who owned the house is the real life woman who owns that house.

One of the biggest changes in tone is that there's literally no music after that scene.

I feel like the transition there was into the "real" world, or at least world closer to reality than the one we had been shown before.

I know what you're saying about it looking more "real" (I think that Valero station is the first real-world business we've ever seen on the show), but when Laura screams and the lights burn out, it feels a lot like she's shattered some sort of illusion, like she's broken the world they're in.

Maybe they're in our world, but in the reality of Twin Peaks maybe our world is fictional.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

17 is the Frost ending, 18 is the Lynch ending

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Some interesting things about 18:

The woman who owned the house is the real life woman who owns that house.

One of the biggest changes in tone is that there's literally no music after that scene.

I feel like the transition there was into the "real" world, or at least world closer to reality than the one we had been shown before.

Coop and Dianne's new names should have been Kyle McLaughlin and Laura Dern, and they track down Gordon Cole and he's David Lynch, film director.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Then Lynch spends 20 minutes showing them how to cook quinoa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIcvTluLb2w

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also Warren Frost (the doctor) (not Dr. Jacoby, the other doctor)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The log passed away as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's a log that dispenses helpful information, what else is there to explain?

• Locked thread