Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I thought this was gonna be an unnecessary revival, but after watching the fan edit of fire walk with me, I'm cautiously looking forward to this and hopeful.

but like, lynch hasn't done any major film or tv work since he made inland empire 10 years ago. that movie wasn't... uh... bad? it was like lynch almost parodying himself which isn't exactly watchable or enthralling.

Junkfist posted:

Will the chinese lady still be a drawer knob?
ALSO loving THIS. PLEASE DAVID ELABORATE ON DOOR KNOB ASIAN LADY. that's all I really want from season 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

welp i'm not watching the show but from the reports coming in i get the impression that lynch isn't going for fan service and is trashing the whole "quirky little town" aspect of the original, c/d?
I just finished episode 1. kinda confirm? it reminds me of fire walk with me more than the series. seems to be more mystery. the whole soap opera drama quirkyness was thrown out in the movie mostly, and right now it feels like supernatural more?

but who knows. we'll see.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

plape tickler posted:

Did they air the first 4 episodes last night?
yea, showtime streaming has all 4 up now.

I watched the second episode. I can't tell if the show is just taking it's sweet time to rev up or we're going to get a combination of meh supporting characters shuffling their feet until spooky poo poo happens or kyle maclachlan graces the screen.

honestly it feels more like inland empire which was essentially a david lynch home video on digital. I'm not really into season 3 but I'm sticking through

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Neurosis posted:

because kyle maclachlan is onscreen like 50% of the time and a fair bit of the stuff that would've been kept overly enigmatic in original twin peaks is fairly clear
I was really sleepy by the second half of episode 2, so my memory is probably iffy. anyways I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. also I can't get over shaggy being in this

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

oh god. I finished ep 4. showtime paid david lynch to make an 8 hour inland empire staring kyle maclachlan. I can't imagine this will be well received. we're in for a ride boys

also the most shocking thing is michael cera, what the gently caress

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

lol. my body is not ready.

Paladinus posted:

Here is my hot take.
:aaaaa: maybe I was right telling my friend lynch is just using this season to troll. maybe this really is lynch's magnum opus.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

i don't like it but i don't hate it.

ps. reposting from the tviv thread:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Yea Fire Walk With Me is mandatory for season 3. You can't willingly pretend it didn't exist anymore.

I highly recommend the Q2 fan edit with 90 minutes of cut material. poo poo is 3.5 hours long though

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

even if I don't really like season 3 in the long run, the ample amount of twin peaks maymays has made me quite satisfied with the revival

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Twelve Batmans posted:

He is clearly coming back bit by tiny bit. The coffee, the lie-detecting, the case-files etc.

People really need to learn to appreciate the slow burn.
I appreciate stuff that takes it's time but I don't need a lingering shot of coop sniffing a statue for 5 minutes. I get it, he's a tabula rasa and experiencing the world in some kind of innocent meditation but I got the hang of it 2 hours ago.
this would more forgivable if the show was actually shot in a not intentionally dull manner. I don't understand what lynch is trying to convey with his pacing, framing, and lighting, but it makes for an awful viewing experience. maybe he's doing it to really spite people and I fell for it.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Don't try to watch 2001 or any other Kubrick movie really. Maybe incredibly talented directors just aren't your "thang?"
I can watch that stuff because it's visually grabbing me. but the intentional flatness of twin peaks season 3 with the dreadful slowness in silence isn't even uncomfortable, because uncomfortable would even be engaging. it's flat out boring.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

for me there's still little nuggets in there and I'm waiting it out for something cool like more glass-box monster poo poo

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

child death 👌 laura dern 👌 midget hit man 👌 we are the 99% speech 👌 casually ending the episode on veteran suicide 👌

all in one episode and we are a third of a way through this season. I am actually looking forward to see where this goes now

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Why cookie Rocket posted:

But but but Dougie Jones so it bad and it boring
oh don't worry. it still bad. I want to see what comes next from senile david lynch

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

the skype call with doc hayward was :smith: . probably because he was too frail to travel on set so they wrote that in. RIP warren frost.

what if the entire show is dougie and evil cooper, and the last episode we finally get the real cooper back. he gets a cup of coffee, turns to the camera and starts to say "excuse my language, that's a DA-" and the credits roll. david lynch just messing with everyone as he laughs into the sunset with that sweet sweet Apple product placement money

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

SPACE HOMOS posted:

GOOD OLE BOY SHERIFF USES COMPUTER BEEP BOP BOOP!!!!
the wooden desk lever to deploy the screen was hilarious. then I was reminded skype existed because product placement which then ruined the scene.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

:stare: well, now I know where all the CGI budget went since apparently there was no money left over for the first 7 episodes.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

Apparently it isn't doing too great in the ratings so i can't imagine they are overjoyed but they'll finish showing it because they already threw a bunch of money at it.
the rating system only accounts for premiere nights, and if I remember correctly, the numbers show twin peaks is doing quite well between streaming and people catching up on the show during the weekday. showtime is getting record breaking numbers for streaming subs thanks to twin peaks. so for now, twin peaks s3 is a success, especially for a 25 year gap in seasons, and letting david lynch having total creative control. it's pretty bold and impressive.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

well, that episode was the closest thing to the old twin peaks so far. sticking it through to see if jerry horne ever sobers up and makes it out of those woods

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Apple Craft posted:

Is this TVIV?
not until we debate about :tvtropes: for 4 or more pages.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Maya Fey posted:

The james thing was really funny

My jaw dropped and I was horribly sleep deprived so I was just in shock for the first half. I thought Lynch had found all the ways to screw with us but goddamn I was wrong.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

The Dennis System posted:

Deserved. The scene in yesterday's episode of twin peaks where the british guy tells the story of the glove on his right hand was the most boring thing I've ever suffered through.
Yea that definitely was the weakest scene. Someone in TVIV said that better not be some deus ex machina but idk what else it could be.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was a great episode.
yup, except it ended with Audrey/Charlie which just sucks the air out of the entire episode/room so efficiently.

I hope the Audrey reveal is something so stupid that even the most vocal defenders of those scenes get upset

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Mordja posted:

Actually, I think her new relationship with a drug-dealing wizard suggests otherwise.
excuse me, it's COCAINE WIZARD

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

this is kinda hosed up, but by the time I grew to really enjoy Dougie, they brought Cooper back soon-thereafter and now I don't care about Cooper.

like, Dougie vs. evil Cooper would have been so much better than whatever we get tomorrow.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

lol people had full trust that Lynch could end the show and ate up everything little thing up until tonight, then spat it out like a child and is now throwing a tantrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Zmej posted:

like, Dougie vs. evil Cooper would have been so much better than whatever we get tomorrow.
I was half-joking but turns out I was more right than I could have ever imagined lol

• Locked thread