Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Reverand maynard posted:

Hillary as president would have been four years of Republicans passing things like hearing protection act and her being dumb enough to veto it. The current events thread would be completely unbearable. Gun control chat 24/7 with bi weekly bans getting tossed around.

Pretty much, but now the HPA is already getting pushback from an unexpected source:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/gun-news-law-enforcement-coalition-joins-gun-control-group-to-lobby-against-reciprocity-hearing

gently caress you cops, tinnitus is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Capn Beeb posted:

Pretty much, but now the HPA is already getting pushback from an unexpected source:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/gun-news-law-enforcement-coalition-joins-gun-control-group-to-lobby-against-reciprocity-hearing

gently caress you cops, tinnitus is bullshit.

lol unexpected?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

To the average person, sorta. :v:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

As much as I would love easily access to suppressors a DC sniper scenario but with a suppress rifle would be a nightmare. Image a coordinated group taking potshots at civilians and/or cops in an urban environment where a suppressed rifle shot would be a lower volume than just the background noise of traffic

Now imagine that the year is 2021 and terrorists use suppressors in a sustained sniper terror campaign and democrats control the white house and congress.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 23, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Imagine a competent machinist making a functional suppressor or worse.

The deeper argument against guns has always been that they're an easily accessible way for one disgruntled person to kill others. Removing guns and suppressors doesn't change the fraction of deady incidents involving weapons of opportunity (which may be guns or may be knives or bludgeons) and most certainly doesn't stop premeditated destruction.

For example an average college chemistry student is deadlier per capita than an average person with a gun. If you assume educated people are less likely to commit violent crimes than said student is far less of a threat overall. So students with access to deadly materials are vetted not at all. Because we assume they'll be law abiding citizens and not use their knowledge for ill. Same with an engineering student, skilled machinist, or intellectual forums poster.

Suppressors are something law abiding citizens should be able to buy and register. Register is kinda key there, because it allows tracking on the back end in case other events go south and you need to investigate. A terrorist group competent enough to conduct "a sustained sniper terror" campaign can easily source suppressors already.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Yeah I'm in favor of making suppressors easier for people to obtain by streamlining the process so that it doesn't take however many months to get your stamp from the ATF, but completely deregulating them would be incredibly dumb.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Suppressors are something law abiding citizens should be able to buy and register. Register is kinda key there, because it allows tracking on the back end in case other events go south and you need to investigate. A terrorist group competent enough to conduct "a sustained sniper terror" campaign can easily source suppressors already.

So treat that poo poo like a regular firearm instead of an NFA item like the HPA wants to do :shrug:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The HPA removes suppressors from the NFA

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

The HPA removes suppressors from the NFA

And makes them equally regulated like regular 'ol firearms, yeah? Not like I can pop into the hardware store and just buy one without a NICS check and poo poo.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Maybe yall should stop cooking up wild theoretical situations to justify something. The biggest threat is always going to be a concealable small caliber pistol

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 23, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The biggest threat is these guns
*flexes biceps*

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

Maybe yall should stop cooking up wild theoretical situations to justify something. The biggest threat is always going to be a concealable small caliber pistol

Which were on the NFA until a lot of people realized that the privilege tax to own their preferred defensive firearm was the same as $$$New Car$$$.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

yeah but that cat is already out of the bag.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yessssss this thread is finally going places

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Oh snap I was seriousposting

:smugdog: I hope guns are banned, gently caress the police also

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
just give in. let the D&D consume you. this is your safe space.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Lol at a bunch of folks who have literally been involved in a hosed quagmire of bullshit that would've been way easier had the everyday populace not had access to firearms advocating easier access to them and various accessories

I hope we disarm the populace of the US so the poor Chinese infantryman don't get their WZ-551 shot at on every drat precense patrol when they invade to remove the insane, 90 year old president for life Trump from power

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BACK the BLUE!

:suicide:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Hey you loving idiots debating about legalizing guns, here's a brilliant idea: make murder illegal. Hmmm now what bitch

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

Hey you loving idiots debating about legalizing guns, here's a brilliant idea: make murder illegal. Hmmm now what bitch

drat you're good

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

But what will stop the criminals from murdering????

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

milk milk lemonade posted:

Lol at a bunch of folks who have literally been involved in a hosed quagmire of bullshit that would've been way easier had the everyday populace not had access to firearms advocating easier access to them and various accessories

I hope we disarm the populace of the US so the poor Chinese infantryman don't get their WZ-551 shot at on every drat precense patrol when they invade to remove the insane, 90 year old president for life Trump from power

I always kind of wondered, in a Red Dawn scenario, how many of the "take my guns from my cold dead hands" types would actually have the balls to die for the cause.

Everybody talks big, but I imagine the fight would go out of most people after they watched their neighbors' children burn to death in a napalm strike with the implicit promise that theirs would be next.

Edit: poo poo, too drunk for proper spelling/grammar.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 24, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Capn Beeb posted:

And makes them equally regulated like regular 'ol firearms, yeah? Not like I can pop into the hardware store and just buy one without a NICS check and poo poo.

What's the point of going through the process twice? Without the gun, which you already have to get the check for, it's useless.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Arc Light posted:

I always kind of wondered, in a Red Dawn scenario, how many of the "take my guns from my cold dead hands" types would actually have the balls to die for the cause.

Everybody talks big, but I imagine the fight would go out of a most people after they watched their neighbors' children burn to death in a napalm strike with the implicit promise that theirs would be next.

I disagree.

Many of them would have plenty of "fight".

But they would do it during the initial invasion, and get immediately dusted by Soviet air, artillery, and armor. Accomplishing nothing.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

all the doomsday preppers and militia types always have this idea that its going to just be dudes with guns shooting it out but thats not going to be the scenarios that unfold at all. the cops could have wasted everyone involved in the bundy standoff with a single drone and they would have been completely ineffective.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MRC48B posted:

I disagree.

Many of them would have plenty of "fight".

But they would do it during the initial invasion, and get immediately dusted by Soviet air, artillery, and armor. Accomplishing nothing.

Yeah in the red Dawn insurgency, they'd be a big nuisance until they blew their load on the first sustained firefight and run dry.

Alternatively, they'd be too chicken poo poo to resist a big authoritarian government promising to wipe out their enemies, and would maybe even welcome it.

My personal guns are for marksmanship and underpants protection. Dying for a cause is hollow.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I would flip on my neighbors and offer to kick doors in and send people to the gulags

I like being part of the winning team

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I would flip on my neighbors and offer to kick doors in and send people to the gulags

poo poo with their records at Waco and Ruby ridge, they can't resist a single engagement with a big bad government.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Someone who's eyes are wide open, finally.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Someone who's eyes are wide open, finally.

We can call it "The Flynn Maneuver".

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a revolutionary Marxist and a nihilist, let's take it a step further and let our military contractors open up dealerships where you can purchase a monkey model mortar truck or something. No way it can end badly

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
iawtp

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So is Obama taking my guns or

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yes, but only if you own less than twenty, fifteen of which need to be bought straight from the manufacturer this quarter.

this message brought to you by the NRA and the campaign to protect gun manufacturer profits

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

He already did

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
its a bit different when its resist the us government and potentially die a stupid death, or go back to your big macs and iphones vs resist a foreign invader and potentially die or go back to bread lines and crushing poverty

if a bunch of middle eastern rednecks managed to give the most powerful military ever known some problems, im sure our local stock could give some chinese conscripts a run for their money

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If I'm reading these laws right I can make a 40mm "gun" as long as it's not full auto and I never sell it.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

its a bit different when its resist the us government and potentially die a stupid death, or go back to your big macs and iphones vs resist a foreign invader and potentially die or go back to bread lines and crushing poverty

if a bunch of middle eastern rednecks managed to give the most powerful military ever known some problems, im sure our local stock could give some chinese conscripts a run for their money

haha no way bro cause they cant run. just ride their freaking rascal scooters lmfao!!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

pretty sure our chinese/russian overlords wont give a gently caress about winning our hearts and minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
hey here's a hottake to not poo poo up the CE thread with

Obama was a great Republican President and a terrible Democrat one

• Locked thread