Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

nah you were right too probably

and like 3 of those pms were silly things anyhow ;)

You watch the thongs, I'll watch the soft serves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, instead of holding individuals accountable for their behavior, we should definitely continue isolating and blaming all of them, and inciting further violence.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
but they're not being held accountable, it doesnt seem, aside from giving them some sweet paid vacation time

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

Yeah, instead of holding individuals accountable for their behavior, we should definitely continue isolating and blaming all of them, and inciting further violence.

"accountable"

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I highly encourage occupying Zeris' time with PMs and bullshit reports. What else is he gonna do?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
cole all cops

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Things cops do:

Give speeding tickets at random

Shoot dogs

Shoot brown people

Dress up like SEALS

Be general Assholes because there is no recourse.

Fuckem. My mail lady doesn't blast anyone and she's in more danger than the roided up assholes that roam the major cities around here.

In addition, people with blue masking tape on their back windows should be subject to citizens arrest and summery execution for being such blatant lick-spittles.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

bird cooch posted:

Fuckem. My mail lady doesn't blast anyone and she's in more danger than the roided up assholes that roam the major cities around here.

The rest of your post was nonsense, too; I just wanted to hear more about this.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Bureau of labor statistics yo.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 25, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Statistically there is no justification for the paranoia law enforcement happily fostered with its US VS THEM WAR ON COPS SHEEPDOG HURRRRRRRRR bullshit.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Deathy McDeath posted:

I highly encourage occupying Zeris' time with PMs and bullshit reports. What else is he gonna do?

DIA LEAKER

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
So much copsplaining in this thread

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

So much copsplaining in this thread

don't break the law if you can't do the time, kid

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TBeats posted:

"accountable"

The Castile shooter should be in prison. He earned it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Godholio posted:

The Castile shooter should be in prison. He earned it.
qft

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Same, but 'ole yeller'ed instead of prison.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Chances are rising that one of these guys getting acquitted at trial will result in a riot.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Chances are rising that one of these guys getting acquitted at trial will result in a riot.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Furguson wasn't that long ago.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

If the rest of them stopped undermining efforts to hold those individuals accountable, you would have a point.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

bird cooch posted:

Bureau of labor statistics yo.

Wow, we really need to do something about these construction workers getting murdered!

Dumb.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

"Bill would still be with us today if he had just hit that nail instead of giving it the benefit of the doubt"

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
If you dig around in the stats you will find that a huge amount of injuries happen due to transportation. Even for cops it's the highest method of injury.

Getting in a car is the most dangerous thing people do.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Victor Vermis posted:

Wow, we really need to do something about these construction workers getting murdered!

Dumb.

Dead is dead. If even a small portion of what is spent on police armament were diverted to give OSHA more teeth more people would be alive. Probably cops also since most of their deaths are accidents too. But good luck convincing someone with that mentality that a defensive driving class is more likely to save their rear end than being paranoid about anyone who fails the paper bag test.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

bird cooch posted:

Furguson wasn't that long ago.

Tfw ur pic is in the montage...

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
A black off-duty cop tried to help stop a crime. Another officer shot him.

quote:

The other officers ordered the off-duty officer to the ground, then recognized him as a fellow policeman and told him to stand up and walk toward them.

As he approached, another officer arrived and shot the off-duty officer in the arm, “apparently not recognizing” him, police told the Associated Press.

The black officer, who is 38 years old and an 11-year veteran of the force, was treated at the hospital and released. The shooter, a 36-year-old officer who has been on the force for eight years, told investigators he had feared for his safety.

:discourse:

there are like 5 cops at that point at scene in addition to the shooter, how do you feel threatened enough to shoot at that situation

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

Tfw ur pic is in the montage...

I just screenshot the gis for furguson. You are famous!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Missionary Positron posted:

A black off-duty cop tried to help stop a crime. Another officer shot him.

:discourse:

there are like 5 cops at that point at scene in addition to the shooter, how do you feel threatened enough to shoot at that situation

because nobody else was shooting him

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I wouldn't weigh in unless you personally know either of the officers, because I do.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Reverand maynard posted:

I wouldn't weigh in unless you personally know either of the officers, because I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yThfdrdFL8

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Dead is dead.

You can't have it both ways. If law enforcement is just another job, and actual risk to life can be extracted from raw numbers, let's start stringing up every white collar cracker who misplaces a decimal regardless of what his intentions were and without any regard to the information that was available to him in the moment. HE WAS TRAINED TO KNOW BETTER! RAWR!

It's a different job. You don't need to like people who are police officers or hate black people to admit that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Actuaries aren't expected to carry a gun and judge its use. They're job is to tell the police force that statistically their department have more black shootings per capita. If he's wrong by a few decimal places then the system actuaries exist in acknowledges the discrepency and adapts.Engineers acknowledge mistakes and revise. Etc

None of those pull a gun and shoot people in their yearly continuance! Their risk to another's life is precise and measured and their systems are designed to minimize it. Police departments defending processes and officers that result in completely unjustified deaths just deepens the divide between them and the purpose of their job

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Victor Vermis posted:

You can't have it both ways. If law enforcement is just another job, and actual risk to life can be extracted from raw numbers, let's start stringing up every white collar cracker who misplaces a decimal regardless of what his intentions were and without any regard to the information that was available to him in the moment. HE WAS TRAINED TO KNOW BETTER! RAWR!

It's a different job. You don't need to like people who are police officers or hate black people to admit that.

I don't know where this article got its numbers and they are obviously skewed to show US police in a negative light. But the point of the article is other countries manage to not have as many shootings per capita.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries

quote:

Police in Canada average 25 fatal shooting a year. In California, a state just 10% more populous than Canada, police in 2015 have fatally shot nearly three times as many people in just five months.

Behind the numbers: So far in 2015, police in California have fatally shot 72 people, according to the Guardian’s database – the most thorough accounting for officer-involved fatalities ever built in the US.

In Canada, reliable nationwide numbers on police shootings don’t yet exist.

But a journalist for the Independent in Canada did combine data from the provinces that report police killings – and extrapolated that Canadian police kill an average of 25 people by gunshot every year.

The US has an intentional homicide rate two and a half times that of Canada, according to the World Bank.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Flikken posted:

I don't know where this article got its numbers and they are obviously skewed to show US police in a negative light. But the point of the article is other countries manage to not have as many shootings per capita.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries

And the ratio of Americans doing violence against one another is probably similar. Statistically speaking, Americans are more violent. It follows logically that our police would utilize force more often and to deadlier effect because they are dealing with a population that has a higher rate of violence.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Actuaries aren't expected to carry a gun and judge its use. They're job is to tell the police force that statistically their department have more black shootings per capita. If he's wrong by a few decimal places then the system actuaries exist in acknowledges the discrepency and adapts.Engineers acknowledge mistakes and revise. Etc

None of those pull a gun and shoot people in their yearly continuance! Their risk to another's life is precise and measured and their systems are designed to minimize it. Police departments defending processes and officers that result in completely unjustified deaths just deepens the divide between them and the purpose of their job

Right. Back to square one. "Unjustified".

With the Castile shooting, I've yet to meet anyone who, after forming an opinion based on the FacebookLive video, changed their opinion after the dashcam video.

You see what you want to believe.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Um. What?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Did you see a cop sootif a compliant black man in front of his family as justified... because that's what you're arguing.

The dash cam shows this the officer was very wrong in his actions. The audio playback shows he was wrong in his action. And the kicker is that the officer, at the window, looking and talking to Castile and his family, would have obviously had more information regarding just how non hostile Castile was. Black man tells him he has a gun. White cop shoots black man in reflex.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Did you see a cop sootif a compliant black man in front of his family as justified... because that's what you're arguing.

The dash cam shows this the officer was very wrong in his actions. The audio playback shows he was wrong in his action. And the kicker is that the officer, at the window, looking and talking to Castile and his family, would have obviously had more information regarding just how non hostile Castile was. Black man tells him he has a gun. White cop shoots black man in reflex.

Dashcam didn't show the inside of Castile's car prior to and during the shooting, strangely.

The audio indicates Castile was instructed three times not to reach for his weapon.

And then he was shot dead.

You're watching the same video I am, have access to the same facts as I do, but you're absolutely positive something criminal happened there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The officer could have simply stepped behind Castile and the rear passenger door and been out of danger.

Apparently Castile telling him he had a gun was enough to escalate to deadly force in 3 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Victor Vermis posted:

Dashcam didn't show the inside of Castile's car prior to and during the shooting, strangely.

The audio indicates Castile was instructed three times not to reach for his weapon.

And then he was shot dead.

You're watching the same video I am, have access to the same facts as I do, but you're absolutely positive something criminal happened there.

Castile also had to reach to get his registration and insurance card, and was trying to explain that, but the cop wouldn't let him explain and then went straight to shooting.

edit: Had the events mixed up, Castile had already handed over his information. The cop still didn't listen to him explain that he wasn't going for the gun.

• Locked thread