Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
iawtp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Here's looking out for all you folks who hate clowns:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/UspG2XE.gifv

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Godholio posted:

One answer is that police body armor and vehicle armor is almost never capable of stopping rifle rounds.
And? If the majority of rifles in circulation are already capable of defeating most common protection, then adding a giggle switch does nothing to change that except make someone miss more rapidly.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Godholio posted:

I meant more as a reason against allowing all rifles while banning handguns. Handguns are more practical for personal/home defense and more able to be protected against.
Ah, gotcha.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Zeris posted:

Remember before guns when cities were the safest place to be but going out in the wilderness after dark was a death sentence
What a time to be alive.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Girls only want boyfriends with great skills. You know, like plumb bob skills, straight edge skills, tape measure skills...

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

:downsbravo:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The world wants headlines, not accountability.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Godholio posted:

The Castile shooter should be in prison. He earned it.
qft

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

You call that a war penis? Hnnnngghhh, that's a war penis! Now let me see your real war penis!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nuke the Internet.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Missionary Positron posted:

cops bad...

but also sometimes good?
fish red...

but also sometimes blue?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Pesticide20 posted:

Pickle

Rick?
:vince:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Now you hosed up.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I think the Hunter Thompson thread is the actual gun chat thread and this one was the weird whatever else shitpost thread.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Can't have a terrible thread without terrible content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om5-wN_176Y

CRINGE FACTOR 5000

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Eat poo poo, DeBlasio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTqRS1_Uvk8

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

For reference:

18 U.S.C. 922 posted:

(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person—
    (4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
This subsection shall not apply with respect to the sale or disposition of a firearm or ammunition to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector who pursuant to subsection (b) of section 925 of this chapter is not precluded from dealing in firearms or ammunition, or to a person who has been granted relief from disabilities pursuant to subsection (c) of section 925 of this chapter.

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person—
    (4) who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution;
to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

As always, IANAL, but nothing about that leads me to believe the VA that has any authority to declare someone a mental defective and thus strip someone of their rights. I doubt that there are any judges on the VA's payroll.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 28, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I've never been summoned for jury duty. I think I'd actually enjoy it. :(

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, I'm well aware of that. Being cut off from the world for an indeterminate length of time isn't exactly new, though, so....

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

If the one idiot had followed some form of escalation of force to begin with then there wouldn't have been anything to deescalate.

e: Yes, I'm well aware that I'm making that comment from the comfort of my armchair. I can sympathize with the stresses involved, I know it's never that simple, etc. There's no excuse for being a stupid, trigger-happy gently caress, though.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 21, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

This is GiP. We all know the answer to that one.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

:lol: if you think youre going to be part of the insurgency against enemy invaders
Real quick: that's not why the second amendment exists. It exists as a check on your own government, should that need ever arise. All other benefits of an armed populace are secondary to this purpose. Our own country's birth through violent revolution should be proof enough of this need; there are plenty of other examples of governments turning on their own (disarmed) people in the twentieth century alone. Additionally, if you believe that people with rifles are powerless against a military with armor and aircraft, you need only look at the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan; tell me again that people with rifles are combat ineffective against a modern military.

If you would like to understand the context in which the second amendment was proposed and written, please read David Vandercoy's paper: The History of the Second Amendmend (pdf link). I strongly recommend that everyone take a few minutes out of their day to read this, regardless of whether they are supportive of or critical of the second amendment. Knowledge is power, yo.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

But what does that have to do with people needing to own deadly weapons that are particularly good at killing people? Yes maybe we can finally knee jerk into banning them, but why was there a need for civilian ownership in the first place.
Please see again the part where I strongly recommended reading this:

Naked Bear posted:

If you would like to understand the context in which the second amendment was proposed and written, please read David Vandercoy's paper: The History of the Second Amendmend (pdf link). I strongly recommend that everyone take a few minutes out of their day to read this, regardless of whether they are supportive of or critical of the second amendment. Knowledge is power, yo.
I don't say this to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but if you really want to know why and really want to have well-informed discussion, please do your homework. I even made it easy for you. You don't have to agree with anything I've written or anything that's in that paper, but please read it so that you understand why we have that in our Constitution. Please.

As an aside, I'd like to remind everyone about how it has always been perfectly lawful for folks to make their own firearms at home. Parts, tools, and plans are already out there for people to lawfully make their own firearms, and in 2017 it's easier than ever. Right now, I would presume that many are doing it for the DIY aspect, because it's certainly not cheaper than just buying a gun over the counter. Banning more things, aside from being a non-solution, will only serve to expand that market, thus making it even less expensive and easier to jump into. We all know how effective bans are at removing various things from the market (hint: they're not).

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I completely agree with that! The good news is that the one really good thing Trump has done (unintentionally :lol:) has been to inspire more folks to learn about firearms.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

You know all of the anti-ban arguments were identical in Australia yet they haven't had any shooting sprees remotely like before, right? There is no good reason for most people to have any type of weapon and I say this as a gun owner. A proper gun buyback and proper registration of hunting/farm weapons would stop the vast majority of the daily gun violence in America.

This isn't like we're reinventing the wheel here. Plenty of places around the world have went from armed populace to not and have been almost entirely free of gun related massacres since.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Australia was actually very federalist and all gun laws were ran by the individual states.

The 2A makes it more difficult for sure, but as for the matter of effectiveness we only need to look to the rest of the world. See also healthcare.
Contrary to what some folks would have you believe, this is not the case. Violent crime has been trending down across the developed world. Gun buybacks have already been shown to have little or no effect. I'll cite some reputable sources later today when I have the chance (I don't want to be that guy talking out of his rear end). Healthcare also isn't a great comparison. The grass isn't greener on the other side, and the Canadians seem to have problems not too different from our own VA. This is only what I've learned from my Canadian roommate and is thus entirely anecdotal, so don't put too much weight in this (it is very nearly talking out of my rear end).

Mass shootings are not statistically significant and they are not the lens through which we should seek to regulate firearms. It sounds cold and uncompassionate, but it's the hard, uncomfortable truth. The "we need to do something" attitude is good and admirable, yes, and we certainly should! Mass shootings are just one problem among many. There are a number of root causes of violent crime, for which we must come up with a similar number of solutions. To suggest that there exists a one-size-fits-all solution is disingenuous at best, disastrous at worst. It's quick and easy to propose one solution; it's difficult to tackle a number of different problems and come up with solutions for all of them. That's hard work, but it needs to be done. I think we can all agree that civilian firearm ownership is an overall net positive, details aside.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Basically if the only purpose of the weapon is killing people (handguns, assault rifles, etc) it should be banned from regular civilian use. This is common sense unless you really think that an armed populace is going to overthrow the government. I hazard that even if every gun owner banded together now that it couldn't be done. The original intent of the 2nd is null in a modern context.
"Common sense" isn't common anymore. We don't have to agree on the feasibility of this, but I think that saying "it's clearly impossible, therefore we shouldn't bother" is an asinine and defeatist position to take.

e:

M_Gargantua posted:

See I can't justify arguing that a semi-automatic handgun is not primarily ideal as a defense weapon since its something you can conceivably carry often should the need arise. But youre not going to be walking around town with a mini-14 for self defense and deer hunting at the same time.
Handguns are great because they're portable and concealable; nobody needs to know that you're carrying and everyone can go about their business. Nobody carries rifles around town anyway, even though it's perfectly lawful in the vast majority of locales.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

As another aside, I'd just like to thank everybody here for being cool cucumbers even though we don't all agree on some things. This seems like a rarity these days, especially through the semi-anonymity of the internet.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

We all have different experiences. :shobon:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Grem posted:

David Vandercoy is approaching his evidence in the wrong way. While Madison was fearful of government tyranny the majority of the Senate, who made Madison rewrite the amendment, had in mind a military that would assist the government in putting down insurrections and rebellions, as is evident in the Militia Clause. Shay's Rebellion and the government's inability to effectively control the situation had much more to do with the Second Amendment we have than the American Revolution or all the British history he goes in to does.

Phone posting or I'd go into greater detail, maybe tonight!
That's pretty interesting, I'd like to hear more about it!

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

There isn't enough name calling itt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A3WEMPZJD8

-

Also, I am totally not welching on my earlier promise to cite some things. I was a bit distracted by other... tasks, so I apologize for the cock tease. It's on the way.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Deathy McDeath posted:

GUN CONTROL QUESTION AHEAD

Hey fellas. I was at the march yesterday, and a questioned popped into my idiot head. See, I like shooting for sport. I don’t carry, I live in the suburbs so I don’t need some home defense gun, but I also am starting to really hate guns in general. Really, I would be fine with just banning all the guns because we really don’t seem to be able to handle them as a country.

But until then, I still like shooting as a hobby. How can I reconcile those things? Is it possible to participate in the gun control fight while still enjoying a shooting hobby?
I apologize in advance if any of this sounds condescending; that is not my intent. Frankly, I think that supporting any form of gun control while also enjoying shooting as a hobby is quite contradictory and even a bit misguided (hang on! I don't think this is your fault). I don't think that the images or narratives being shoved down our throats every day is representative of Americans in general, and the notion that gun ownership or America itself have somehow fundamentally changed is ludicrous.

Certainly, there are folks who can't seem to handle gun ownership, but I think we all know that the idiots who get the spotlight are an incredibly small minority here. Consider yourself for a moment: you're probably just a normal dude who happens to like shooting. The vast majority of folks out there with guns are ordinary people like you and me who happen to enjoy shooting; they're not mall ninjas, they're not white supremacists, and they're not buck-toothed sister-fuckers. "Ordinary" people are just that. Why do I say this?

People haven't changed much since the days when you could mail order anti-tank rifles to your door, but the way that we interact with one another has. We live in a society where everybody is connected twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. There have recently been plenty of good articles exploring the ways that social media, 24/7 news, and an always-connected society gently caress with peoples' mental health and generally make life miserable, and the biggest takeaways from those are that a) echo chambers are incredibly easy to form and b) the opinions you're exposed to every day aren't necessarily representative of the populace as a whole. This isn't to imply some wacky tinfoil hat conspiracy poo poo is going on, merely that it's easier than ever for voices to reach further, especially when they're curated (for better or worse) and targeted at a particular audience (again, for better or worse). Unfortunately, some voices scream louder than others, and sometimes in an always-connected society some of those voices will drown out others, especially the quiet voices of people who are just trying to mind their own business and don't want to be bothered.

The country we live in today is the safest it has been in generations. I don't think I need to preach to you guys about how poverty is the biggest driving factor behind violence in any given community, or show you lots of charts about how crime has been trending down for decades, or go on about how few crimes are committed by ordinary people who just so happen to own firearms. I think it's worth briefly mentioning these things here if only so that you keep them in mind the next time some unhinged lunatic starts screaming about blood in the streets or fascism or some other nonsense.

You do what you want to do. That's the beauty of a society in which you're free to make your own choices.

e: typos

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 26, 2018

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

"well regulated militia"

this is the part where you try and claim every white male 16-40 is technically part of a militia
I, too, have a difficult time grasping English sentence structure.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

hmmm so the unorganized militia is by definition not well regulated

do go on
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Dogs are better than alphabet soup.

• Locked thread