Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

I completely agree with that! The good news is that the one really good thing Trump has done (unintentionally :lol:) has been to inspire more folks to learn about firearms.

I bought my first gun after watching Trump give a nice soft kiss to the alt-right after Charlottesville!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

[quote="“Mr. Nice!”" post="“477052661”"]
You know all of the anti-ban arguments were identical in Australia yet they haven’t had any shooting sprees remotely like before, right? There is no good reason for most people to have any type of weapon and I say this as a gun owner. A proper gun buyback and proper registration of hunting/farm weapons would stop the vast majority of the daily gun violence in America.

This isn’t like we’re reinventing the wheel here. Plenty of places around the world have went from armed populace to not and have been almost entirely free of gun related massacres since.
[/quote]

How do you determine what the criteria would be for a proper gun buy-back would be, or describe a "farm gun?" Why would people who live in rural areas be more privileged to own a firearm than those in urban areas? Further, given that police response times to some predominantly minority urban areas are quite high (or that minority communities are also victims of police violence themselves), why should they be denied lawful forms of self defense while whiter, rural communities can retain that capability?

I'm asking this in a good faith attempt to not engage in the kind of pedantry or semantics that end up derailing a lot of these conversations.

FWIW, I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to legally purchase a firearm where I live (DC), including being fingerprinted and photographed at the main police station over two visits that required me to take time off of work (I'm a salaried employee), pay nearly $200 in fees between the one FFL in the district and the background check, and that process will repeat if I ever buy another gun here. While I'm generally pretty OK with this arrangement, I'm privileged enough that I can afford both the time and money to stay within the law.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Like if you legit have livestock, it makes sense to own a shotgun or two and some hunting rifles.

You do not need an ar-15 with a bump stock.

Basically if the only purpose of the weapon is killing people (handguns, assault rifles, etc) it should be banned from regular civilian use. This is common sense unless you really think that an armed populace is going to overthrow the government. I hazard that even if every gun owner banded together now that it couldn't be done. The original intent of the 2nd is null in a modern context.

Frankly, I'll agree with you that bump stocks are loving dumb and don't serve a legitimate purpose. I'm really quite okay with them going away. I also think that :tinfoil: chat about THE GUBMINT and mass insurrection is basically Brackenchat.

I realize that we're veering close to that semantics chat that I said I wanted to avoid, but "assault rifles" are already tightly regulated by, well, the same legislation that bump stocks attempt to circumvent. If we're talking about a magazine-fed semi-automatic rifle, then there's no real difference between an AR-15 or a Mini-14 (commonly regarded as a ranch gun) beyond features that don't affect how the weapon functions (ie pistol grip, flash hider, etc.) I'm sure you know that as a gun owner and a vet, and apologies if I'm somehow coming across as condescending because that is not my intent.

If I could, I'd make every gun in the world disappear in a flash. Until I rub the right lamp and get that wish, I'll still believe in an individual right to firearms ownership. I don't hold that belief because of some slavish devotion to 2A or rejection of regulations en masse, but from personal experience in talking with survivors of Hurricane Katrina, and being in some seriously hosed up places and meeting people who had been victimized before.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

According to this WaPo article the cop giving the commands and the one who eventually fired were different. Not that it excuses either of their conduct.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So as not to poo poo up the CE thread, I’m gonna leave this here. It looks like the Florida shooter trained with a white supremacist group.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nikolas-cruz-trained-with-florida-white-supremacist-group-leader-says

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I want a blue wave in 2018. I want Democrats to win big and act as a huge loving wall for Trump. I want them to help roll back the damage done on/to environmental regulations, the social safety net, immigrants, etc- all things that have a demonstrable effect on huge swathes of the country.

I fear that all of that could be jeopardized if they come out too hard and too fast on federal-level gun legislation. I think any candidate who comes out in favor of another AWB, or who makes that a plank in their platform, is going to be DOA outside of a safe liberal enclave.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Which is why Democrats need to stop harping on guns, get moderates and Independents on board and take back the House and Senate, and eventually the presidency, and pass various laws like the following:

- Improve NICS so that it's a modern and functional database that can be accessed immediately and is constantly updated. 

- Force state and federal agencies to provide the necessary data to ensure the database is current. 

- Prosecute individuals who fail the NICS check and are referred for prosecution and investigate denials. 

- Create a federal process for those with prior mental health commitments to regain their right to own firearms, so that those who own firearms but need help are not disincentivized to seek treatment.

- Federal funding for mandatory saftey training for school age children. Not how to use a gun, or even anything pro-gun, but what to do when you encounter a gun. Same as the 'Stranger Danger' campaigns in the 80's, just get it in kids' heads early that guns aren't toys, and if you find one you don't play with it you go find an adult. Accidental deaths are the ones we can most easily prevent.

- Federally fund research into the efficacy of existing policies and laws. 

Basically fix what we already have.

I like all of this except for “prosecute NICS failures,” if only because of mistaken identity. My uncle got on the no-fly list because of that and had to hire a lawyer to clear it up; several years later, I found out I had a warrant out for my arrest because some clerk at the county courthouse confused my last name with someone else’s. I had to pay for a lawyer out of pocket to clear that up. I wouldn’t want to potentially face another charge because someone fat-fingered inputting my name into the database and confused me with some wife beater.

Add “throw straw purchasers in the same cell with the shooter” and I’m really into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, I'll never be an NRA member. I wish there was a more viable non-partisan/left leaning equivalent to the NRA that I could become a member of.

I think that if people want the right to bear arms to remain longer than a generation, they’d wise up and ditch the NRA, or orchestrate a coup to get LaPierre and the other crazies out as soon as possible. It’s pretty clear that they’re going to be on the losing side in the long term, and they may end up taking the whole 2A with them when they finally collapse.

• Locked thread