Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

my kinda ape posted:

I've always held that if Democrats actually gave a poo poo about saving lives they'd pass laws restricting handgun ownership instead of constantly crying about "assault weapons".

Non starter. Fhey couldn't even keep that in tje original NFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Ooh man, it's gonna be super awkward at the office next week.

Put up pictures of Roland Pryzbylewski as "Officer of the Month."

:drat:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Victor Vermis posted:

You can't have it both ways. If law enforcement is just another job, and actual risk to life can be extracted from raw numbers, let's start stringing up every white collar cracker who misplaces a decimal regardless of what his intentions were and without any regard to the information that was available to him in the moment. HE WAS TRAINED TO KNOW BETTER! RAWR!

It's a different job. You don't need to like people who are police officers or hate black people to admit that.

I don't know where this article got its numbers and they are obviously skewed to show US police in a negative light. But the point of the article is other countries manage to not have as many shootings per capita.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries

quote:

Police in Canada average 25 fatal shooting a year. In California, a state just 10% more populous than Canada, police in 2015 have fatally shot nearly three times as many people in just five months.

Behind the numbers: So far in 2015, police in California have fatally shot 72 people, according to the Guardian’s database – the most thorough accounting for officer-involved fatalities ever built in the US.

In Canada, reliable nationwide numbers on police shootings don’t yet exist.

But a journalist for the Independent in Canada did combine data from the provinces that report police killings – and extrapolated that Canadian police kill an average of 25 people by gunshot every year.

The US has an intentional homicide rate two and a half times that of Canada, according to the World Bank.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh gently caress I thought he was army because he had that SGT Chowdown Avatar

Sgt Chowdown was air force.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

While that is a sentiment I can agree with that would also be an argument about racing cars. Same logic apply's there, cars are regulated, but people still street race and accidentally hit bystanders. Yet much like guns 99.9% of the time people aren't driving fast with the intention of killing somebody.

I uhhhh.......what? There is no way those numbers are similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/02/18/kasich-common-sense-gun-laws-make-sense-sotu.cnn

Kasich must not be running for anything after his stint as governor is up.

Also, it would have owned if he had gotten the GOP nomination.

• Locked thread