Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
but he did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Whoops, I accidentally got drunk

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Who was it that pointed at German police for waltzing around with MP5s after a terror threat?

Check out these britcops and their sick gats

/those look like G36C variants, with a bunch of gear and bling on them

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Woof Blitzer posted:

I wouldn't weigh in unless you personally know either of the officers, because I do.

So weigh in? :shrug:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Realtalk: Isn't this supposed to be the thread for Hillary/gun/etc chat? I thought the Hillary lost/etc. thread was renamed to this, but I keep confusing it with the Hunter S. Thompson thread.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Carteret posted:

My job pays for jury duty, you just have to forfeit the pittance they give you.

Jesus gently caress, I was about to ask "HOW THE gently caress DO YOU NOT GET COMPENSATION FOR THAT FROM SOME SOURCE?"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

I'm fine with background checks.

A registry completely undermines the Second Amendment.

Explain this to me.

It's as bizarre to me as the ATF not being allowed to use electronic file processing systems (not even what's state of the art or even feasible in this day and age, but the most basic poo poo).

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

The electronic vs paper thing is stupid, I agree.

Sorry, but I have trouble seeing a causal relationship between "a gun registry has been established" and "lol all your gats are gone now"

I can't even imagine how any push for a registry would (or even could) somehow include legal/constitutional provisions to take away someone's guns.

It makes it sound like the only thing safeguarding the 2nd amendment is "lol we have no idea who owns the guns" which - I assume - is comically inaccurate based on how hard it is to gently caress with constitutional safeguards.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm sorry, but there has got to be a better argument against a gun registry than "well, when natural disasters hit, and authorities decide to act unconstitutionally, then this would help them make their already unconstitutional behavior more efficient"...especially since that argument leaves out every scenario where a state of emergency is not part of the equation.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, that's what he was saying

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

Look at the people in charge of the country right now.

Do you trust them?

Do you really think enough Americans have been flipped in the past 9 months that we're about to jump back on the track to sanity?

Do you think for one minute that in 30 years things are going to be better? The problem with gun confiscation isn't that magically one day SuperHillary is going to be elected and issue a proclamation. The threat is that the right to keep and bear arms will be gradually eroded, because "Hey this one little thing isn't a big deal and it might help a couple dozen people per year." Maybe now you can't buy ammunition without a loving license. Maybe now you're on a no-fly list because you bought too much ammo last year, or you have too many guns. Maybe you've got a flag by your name in the DMV registry.

There's an awful lot of bad poo poo that can happen that doesn't directly lead to confiscation...which is still a thing that could happen. Rights that are given away are never returned. So while Bill A which gets passed in 2018 isn't a huge problem, by the time we get to Bill Q in 2045 we could very well be on that path.

Sorry, but I just don't see any indication or trend in the last twenty years that would even lead me to assume this.

If there is, let me know, because that's kinda why I'm even in this discussion in the first place, but as it is, I just don't see it.

Twenty actual, book-bag carrying children were waxed at Sandy Hook and what came of it?

All proposed legislation fizzled away or died on the floor of the House and the Patriots retired the rifles in their end-zone militia for a few games.

No one is going to take away America's guns.

Motherfucking ever.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I enjoyed the Tropic Thunder reference there, happy to see the argument hasn't devolved into complete anarchy

Gonna watch some Narcos now and go to bed, see y'all on the morrow

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Please, please, please go watch the video where the ATF shows what sort of records they usually get from FFLs. The NRA has pushed to ensure that the 4473 cannot be digitized, and usually when the ATF gets the 4473, its in either poor or unrecoverable shape.

[url]https://youtu.be/1N118jYj2cA[/url]

https://youtu.be/_ECYMvjU52E?t=356

The dude's reasoning for .50 cal rifles being used for hunting: "Well, you've maybe got some disabled people that can't walk very far, so these rifles shoot up to half a mile" :lol:

/edit:

The ATF has to scan every single paper record, then convert it to pdf because of the automatic character recognition of the scanning devices, then convert it to .tif because .pdf is still "too searchable". The .tifs are then tagged afterwards with gun specs.

:catstare:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 10, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

My worry is that we'll keep pursuing do-nothing, knee-jerk reactions that restrict the liberty of law abiding citizens so you can feel good about yourself.

What I don't understand is how trying to slowly get closer to standards that every other developed nation on the planet with a ton of guns has adopted is deemed "do-nothing" or "knee-jerk", because it doesn't solve THE ENTIRETY of mass shootings and gun deaths.

And I'm not even talking about standards of restriction, the paperwork clownery at the ATF would the a start.

The self-proclaimed greatest nation in the history of the planet has a government agency intended to enforce firearms legislation but comes with the administrative equivalent of an automatic dick-punching device that prevents it from having even the remotest semblance of efficiency in its paperwork operations.

And when it is suggested that this government agency could maybe be brought into the 21st century and could have its dick-punching device detached, the response is "NOOOOOO, IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE AND DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM REEEEEEEEEEE".

Not specifically referring to you there, but this is the general impression I'm getting to the aversion to change in that matter.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Man, if only the Jews had had guns

loving :laffo:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

are y'all for actual realz

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Regulating firearms similar to motor vehicles would be an amazing start. Mandatory liability insurance, registration, licensing requirements, etc.

DRIVNIG IS A PRIViLIEGE, NOT T A RiGHT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is what I encounter in almost every instance where a guarded approach of common sense it attempted, and there's no real way to get the conversation back in any goal-oriented fashion after that. Not that it was going in a goal-oriented direction to begin with, but whatever.

Also, another lol at the Hitler taking the guns argument from last page

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

As I, too, hail from such a godless nation of unrefined chaos and anarchy, it blows my mind that gun control discussions can go from common sense to DRIVING/FLYING/ETC IS A PRIVILEGE, NoT A RIGHT, while loving with people's ability to vote is fair game.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi thread.

:lol: at people that ignore the advice of literally every expert ever and invest money into bitcoin

:lol: at people who willingly decided to ignore the advice of every expert ever "being taken advantage of"

The people that got in on the ground floor of this poo poo are dumb. The people that decided to put money in it once the media was talking about it because it was taking off decided to ignore the fact that literally everyone on TV called that poo poo a bubble and advised towards caution.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Won't anyone think of the people that had to sift through layers upon layers of information telling them bitcoin is not a good idea to be able to get themselves IT-literate enough to buy bitcoin.

Oh, the humanity.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

Yeah they deserve to be homeless.

Or die.

Whatever it’s hilarious either way.

You're hilarious, my dude

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Here's another thing that's hilarious. There's apparently a "Doge-coin"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRItzSX0aCM&t=151s

A "coin" that people based off the dumb shiba inu picture meme.
There's a 300 million market cap on a cryptocurrency based on a meme. :lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

pretty sure doge coin started as a goon run spoof coin, then people took it seriously and the original spoof on how stupid bitcoin was was lost in the haze.

Isn't that the creater of the dumb coin in the video up there?

That doesn't quite seem like a guy that feels like a part of a big ol' laugh.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

psydude posted:

Yeah? Do you think he would have had time to run to his room, pull his weapon out of his safe, load it, and put rounds on those guys? Or do you walk around your house constantly at the low ready waiting for a threat. How about when you're taking a poo poo? When you're at the gym? What about when you're at the grocery store?

If guns were an instant remedy to getting unexpectedly killed, then we wouldn't have armed soldiers in Afghanistan being killed in green on blue attacks, or armed police officers being shot in the head while they're in their car. How many people at that country concert in Las Vegas were armed? How many of them accurately returned fire on the guy?

Guns as self defense are a safety blanket for people who are afraid of the world. People who own them for that reason have nothing more than a solution that's looking for a problem. See: George Zimmerman and Treyvon Martin.

Uh, excuse me, Dan "Most Dangerous SEAL MAN" Bilzerian was there, and he only couldn't return fire because the cops wouldn't give him their gun :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bd3qgLsqJs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I just saw the latest video some kids took as their classroom was being cleared.

Just absolutely everything in that is disturbing. The kids standing around petrified as a dead kid is bleeding out on the floor in front of them, them leaning in to film it, the cops leading them out the classroom, past yet more dead bodies in the hallway...just loving everything, jesus christ

• Locked thread