Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't get why when one marine screws up, other marines go "that guy sucks" but every time a cop screws up, every cop goes HOW DARE YOU JUDGE, THAT WENT PERFECTLY.

This strategy of defend everything / blue well is being read by people as "cops genuinely to a man believe they are above the law" and shockingly that is not improving public perception.

If cops want to be treated like individuals with their own moral agency in light of on-tape incidents of bad cops being bad, then individual cops should separate themselves from the hivemind.

Meanwhile, until that happens

https://twitter.com/sbanypd/status/875813747310428162

gently caress every cop who lets this bullshit speak for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

I love me some range time and hoofed forest rats taste delicious but guns in America are basically going to do sweet gently caress all to stop "tyranny" when people vote someone like Trump into office.

If poo poo goes pear shaped and we're trying to resist "tyranny" from the top we need the rest of the government fighting along with the citizens or it's loving over and done with. No amount of pawpaw's shoot-guns is going to stop the entire law enforcement and military apparatus deciding to go along with it. The only effective resistance would be anything that makes those members question orders and change their minds, and I doubt armed resistance fighting back would do that.

Also the same people who have guns to stop "tyranny" really hope trump bans the fake news media. The balance of firepower in this country is divided between the cops, the military, and the subset of civilians that worships the cops and military. The only tyranny the NRA set is ever going to even theoretically rise up against is the tyranny of a lawfully elected left of center government behaving lawfully.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

There's obviously lots and lots of leftists and liberals with guns in America, but the balance of firepower is definitively on the side of the guys sending email forwards about Obama's secret Kenyan past and the sheepdog t-shirt crew. Once the shooting starts to end "tyranny" leftists will be in the FEMA camps within a week, as patrolled by a partnership of the national guard, the local police, and Bud "Bud" McBud's Freedom Warrior Patriot militia.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I agree it's a cultural issue, but it's that cultural issue that drives gun culture in the US and with it, the profits.

Lots of countries have guns and lots of countries have racism. The paranoia, terror at the thought of the other, and cult of baddassery that drives people to stockpile weapons not cause they need the tool or because they just like guns, but because they want to feel tough, and that same urge is a big part in shootings. For street shootings, partner violence and mass shootings, they all so often come down to power and performative toughness.

But you'll have an easier time confiscating the guns than changing gun culture, because gun culture drives the $$. If it was just hobbyists, hunters, and the small handful of people who are more likely to be saved by a gun than blow their own face off, there'd be a couple hundred million fewer guns in America.

• Locked thread