Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

milk milk lemonade posted:

Guns are stupid and human beings are even stupider, it's pretty much a perfect combination. If you want to use a gun outside of oppressing brown people or killing Krauts and Gooks you are extremely lame hth

Counterpoint: Guns are fun, people are stupid, the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Godholio posted:

One answer is that police body armor and vehicle armor is almost never capable of stopping rifle rounds.

Welcome to the wonderful world of wearing 25+lbs of kevlar, cordura, and ceramic composites all day every day. Take a ticket at the counter for your line-of-duty back injury disability claim now, with our current backlog your estimated wait time is only two decades.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Godholio posted:

You could make the argument that the kind of people we'd like to have serving as police officers and military personnel mostly refuse to because the compensation (money, stable family life, etc) is not worth the sacrifices. Which leaves these careers open to racist assholes, window-licking morons, and a handful of people who deserve to be held up as shining examples because despite everything they still loving care, and they still loving try.

See also: Teachers, EMS, etc.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Jury nullification!

The two magic "get out of jury duty" words.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

I think it's a complicated issue and it is going to require introspection on all sides.

The fears of those concerning themselves with federalism and protection are already centuries ago realized: the government already out guns it's citizenry. The fears of those who who oppose unrestricted gun ownership are also sadly realized by recent events, however, if we're willing to restrict one amendment, it would be troubling to imagine they could take other's away.

I think the reality is that most Americans would rather live with the terrible tragedy if it required no change on their part. I think that arguing the government who would take one right that enshrines tools of violence would take other rights is a logical fallacy. I think that good guys with guns don't stop as much violence as we would hope; and that the proliferation of guns has led to several troubling effects on our society, like police who are fearful of the communities they serve, and have led to more easily committed murders, suicides, and accidents.

Guns are not bad. They are a tool and are used to inflict violence upon a subject. Our society is based on egalitarian ideals of freedom and self determination, and people with guns have used them in service of defending those ideas, but many many more are using them to hurt and kill those around them.

Isn't a huge part of the issue with police being terrified of everything laid directly at the feet of the completely adversarial nature the War on Drugs forced them into? The Us vs Them narrative is reinforced, crime spreads like loving wildfire (Prohibition, anyone?), and one of the obvious manifestations is the modern relationship between police and minority communities. poo poo, you kneecap drug crime and suddenly how much of that gun violence just magically goes poof?

There's a Rogan podcast with a former Baltimore City PO that on the whole is a pretty good and wide-eyed honest take at this whole angle, I've got to remember the dude's name.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Sorry, but I just don't see any indication or trend in the last twenty years that would even lead me to assume this.

If there is, let me know, because that's kinda why I'm even in this discussion in the first place, but as it is, I just don't see it.

Twenty actual, book-bag carrying children were waxed at Sandy Hook and what came of it?

All proposed legislation fizzled away or died on the floor of the House and the Patriots retired the rifles in their end-zone militia for a few games.

No one is going to take away America's guns.

Motherfucking ever.

There are plenty of examples to use that don't include mentally ill people stealing guns to go on murder-sprees with. You're trying to legislate away mental illness and extreme ant-social behavior by the absolute statistical outliers.

Hell, it's not like there's some magical secret why people get pissed off when these topics come up. Ignore the NRA hysterics, ignore all of that poo poo. Someone has something, a right, a possession, and someone wants to take that away. On top of that there's the emotional backlash because they perceive themselves as being labeled and lumped in with whatever perpetrator of the tragedy of the day. It's not like this is an original idea, it's the same tired poo poo that's been losing Democrats votes for decades now.

You can logic the gently caress out of it all you want, but you can't do poo poo until you get past the emotive response.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Oh, don't worry: people who like guns would be equally creepy in any political landscape.

:allears:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Let's be honest, if that's the strangest place my dick ends up it'll be a surprise.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Meanwhile, back in reality, there are 30,000 some people dying from gun injuries annually and that number would go down significantly with meaningful restrictions on gun ownership.

"Meaningful" restrictions? Like what, exactly? Feature-list banning scary sounding and/or looking poo poo somebody saw in a movie once? Since when has it ever been a tenable position to legislate away profound mental health policy issues? Or are we talking more about the gang violence fueled by racially-motivated legislation and policy on drugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

Which is why Democrats need to stop harping on guns, get moderates and Independents on board and take back the House and Senate, and eventually the presidency, and pass various laws like the following:

- Improve NICS so that it's a modern and functional database that can be accessed immediately and is constantly updated. 

- Force state and federal agencies to provide the necessary data to ensure the database is current. 

- Prosecute individuals who fail the NICS check and are referred for prosecution and investigate denials. 

- Create a federal process for those with prior mental health commitments to regain their right to own firearms, so that those who own firearms but need help are not disincentivized to seek treatment.

- Federal funding for mandatory saftey training for school age children. Not how to use a gun, or even anything pro-gun, but what to do when you encounter a gun. Same as the 'Stranger Danger' campaigns in the 80's, just get it in kids' heads early that guns aren't toys, and if you find one you don't play with it you go find an adult. Accidental deaths are the ones we can most easily prevent.

- Federally fund research into the efficacy of existing policies and laws. 

Basically fix what we already have.

Address the issue with prosecuting NICS poo poo like mentioned above, add massive increases in funding for mental health initiatives, create/change policies to go along with the initiatives so maybe we can change the public perception of mental illness as a defect instead of just another thing you get help for.

• Locked thread