Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

milk milk lemonade posted:

Lol at a bunch of folks who have literally been involved in a hosed quagmire of bullshit that would've been way easier had the everyday populace not had access to firearms advocating easier access to them and various accessories

I hope we disarm the populace of the US so the poor Chinese infantryman don't get their WZ-551 shot at on every drat precense patrol when they invade to remove the insane, 90 year old president for life Trump from power

I always kind of wondered, in a Red Dawn scenario, how many of the "take my guns from my cold dead hands" types would actually have the balls to die for the cause.

Everybody talks big, but I imagine the fight would go out of most people after they watched their neighbors' children burn to death in a napalm strike with the implicit promise that theirs would be next.

Edit: poo poo, too drunk for proper spelling/grammar.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Here's a prime example of why treating individual cops as 'bad apples' doesn't work:

An entire group of cops witnessing an extrajudicial beating, and they all joined in for fun. Not a single one actually tried to actually stop the crimes taking place.

And of course no one will be punished.

Alternately, they applied force until the guy stopped struggling and they were able to cuff him. The suspect clearly wasn't in the mood to surrender.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

In all seriousness, if I resist arrest and drive around like a maniac, I'd expect to get physically restrained and then elbowed or punched until the arresting officers were able to gain control of my arms and cuff me.

It genuinely sucks, but sometimes there's no way to restrain a suspect without force. Obviously, the minimum level of force necessary should be applied to enact the arrest. From the helicopter view of that car chase, I couldn't tell if the officers had wrist control. I'd like to see body cam footage, if any exists, to see up close what the suspect was doing, and what the nearest officers were up to.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yeah, this was the thread for quarantining circular discussions of the latest cop shooting and/or why Hillary lost, to keep that from infecting the CE thread. But now I guess it's the probation honeypot thread?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Victor Vermis posted:

I dunno, I think every agency/facility/institution should have a judge on payroll to deem people mentally incapable of whatever.

There could be a whole mess of them reporting to one government agency.

And they could be issued sick helmets.

Just thinkin out loud here.

They could probably handle adjudication of guilt more effectively than juries, too. Stands to reason that a judge would understand the law better than twelve idiots who couldn't get out of jury duty.

It's a thought.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If that's justification, why are cops engaging people alone?

In a lot of police departments, you can chalk that up to low manning. Agencies, especially smaller ones, can barely send one officer to calls, much less two.

My city has a population of 70,000, with maybe 10 officers patrolling at any given time. We have at most one officer to a district, and some officers have to cover two districts. Whenever possible, the officers from the bordering districts will respond to calls so that two or three cops are available on-scene, but sometimes that's not possible. If the bordering district officers are busy, one cop will need to handle the situation.

Manning is so low that reservists are allowed to patrol on their own and respond to calls.

It's all about budget. Years ago, my department offered competitive pay, annual bonuses for degree holders, and stipends to attend college.

During the recession, back in maybe 2009, pay stagnated and the educational bonuses were cancelled. Now we can't retain officers. 60% of my department has less than 3 years of experience. They train and qualify with my department, then laterally transfer to other agencies with better pay and benefits. A cop with three years on the job clears $1600 a month after taxes. Small wonder they jump ship.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

There isn't enough name calling itt.

Current events thread is thataway.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there even any doubt that exercising more caution would result in far more alive suspects than dead cops?

e: Like it makes sense to have a zero injury/zero death mindset when it comes to occupational safety in most jobs, but if the result in your industry is that a bunch of other people end up dead maybe reconsider things some?

The two ideas aren't even mutually exclusive. By virtue of living in a state with easy concealed carry and license-free open carry, at least 1/3 of the people I come into contact with are armed. If we know or believe that a suspect is armed, we order them to the ground at gunpoint and then at least one officer covers them while another officer cuffs and searches them. I don't want to say this is "routine," per se, because no armed encounters are, but it's common enough that literally every cop in the city has done it multiple times. We've had exactly one officer killed by gunfire in our 68 year history. This is in a city with a higher violent crime rate per capita than Chicago.

We're also trained to keep our fingers off the triggers and outside the trigger guards, even when aiming at a suspect. The only time we're supposed to touch the trigger is when we're actually about to fire. This is to prevent accidents in high-stress situations.

I'm not normally a fan of Monday morning quarterbacking, but this is nuts. Issuing contradictory verbal commands to an already compliant suspect, while delaying the actual act of taking him into custody, just seems like they were looking for an excuse to shoot him. The cop's "YOU'RE hosed" dust cover on the rifle really doesn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

A bullet is restrained only by the heroic effort of the cop. Naturally, in a high stress environment like a dude answering the door, a bullet or two might get loose.

• Locked thread