Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Doc Hawkins posted:

If police came to illegally take your guns, what would you do?

bah gawd I'd ask for a receipt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

didn't have to scroll very far to find this guy whining about automatic phone and text reminders for court dates because PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Syrian Lannister posted:

Guess you didn't click the link

That friendly reminder is for defendants

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...-call-reminders

What's your point? I'm mocking the reactionary twit of a blogger who's complaining that people will get reminders about court dates.

edit so we're not talking about different things:

quote:

No personal responsibility at all:

[article about court date reminders]

The Cook County Courts have become an advocate for the criminal instead of victims. No significant bail, the Courts are holding your hand throughout the process, and on the off chance you get convicted, you don't even get sentenced to hard time. No wonder crime is going up.

Labels: county, dumb ideas

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 9, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
if you take away people's guns, their shoes will come loose and their pants will fall down

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm for responsible slave ownership. I think there needs to be more restrictions on the types of slaves people have and we can't allow just anyone to go get a slave.

I say this as a slave owner.

this is at least as dumb an analogy as Godholio's shoelaces and belts

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

That was my analogy, friend.

And it's a pretty good analogy when people say you absolutely under no circumstances can do anything about or change the second amendment given the constitution has been altered a bunch throughout history.

No, I meant Godholio's. You intended it differently and Godholio took it in a willfully stupid direction.

e: Gun ownership is not like slave ownership. Jesus Christ. And the 2nd amendment is itself an alteration to the Constitution. You don't have to reach to slavery to make the point that the Constitution changes.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 12, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The Retard Olympics:

"Owning a gun is like tying your shoes!"

"No, owning a gun is like whipping a slave!"

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
At some point, some kind of evidence has to clear the threshold for reasonable doubt or else the people questioning it are clearly arguing in bad faith. A rock-steady, high definition, uninterrupted video of a complete police encounter from the exact perspective of the shooter is that kind of evidence. Like, what the hell more do you want. You don't need a Canadian nerd to make a documentary to clear this one up.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Godholio posted:

:stare:

And people here think DR is a robot. Jesus.

That's not how you're going to fix police recruiting problems (to clarify, I mean getting better applicants).

Maybe the police would recruit fewer trigger-happy sadists if recruits knew going in that they would be held to a marginally higher standard for shooting people than "I feared for my life!"

I mean, probably not, but it still seems worth a try.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Godholio posted:

Are you arguing in favor of cops shooting people or guys pulling guns from waistbands shooting people?

this was not the choice presented to the officer who started this convo

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
https://harpers.org/blog/2017/12/weekly-review-41/

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 11, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Issuing traffic tickets and rounding up drunks in your hometown is similar to patrolling a foreign war zone, you see,

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Gun control can be achieved within the framework of the Constitution. Constitutional government is not worth throwing away for less than, like, a hundred thousand dead kindergarteners.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Ah yes, American culture, that is a thing that both exists and explains mass shootings

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

DoktorLoken posted:

So you're saying nobody collects firearms and that it isn't a valid reason?

If stamps were frequently used to kill large numbers of children at once, I'd demand a better justification for buying them than "I like looking at them laid out neatly in a row," and I definitely wouldn't include it on a list of "valid reasons" for buying stamps that is supposed to counterbalance mass murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

DoktorLoken posted:

:allears: Can you be any more smug? It's a constant in your posts, I've never ignored anyone in GiP but the urge gets stronger and stronger.

I'm just reminding you of the other side of the argument and why the value of guns as redneck beanie babies doesn't tend to appear in any serious discussion of gun control.

e: and, btw, you calling me smug when on this very page you posted this—

DoktorLoken posted:

So you're saying nobody collects firearms and that it isn't a valid reason?

is mindblowing

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 20, 2018

• Locked thread