Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Victor Vermis posted:

EVERY other thing aside,

I get why 1 round becomes 10 rounds when there's a perceived threat.

Dude looked fine right up until his body realized it was dead.

Dealing with someone non-compliant (for whatever reason), radio on the ground, the individual grabs something off his belt which could be mace, and then he can't draw his gun.

This particular instance is one where the fear is real. The purpose of mace is to incapacitate, and potential for the cop being incapacitated and then killed or severely injured is there.

Whether or not the situation was handled correctly leading up to this point however is yet to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.
I'm not saying it's justified, just that the fear is real in that situation.

As for why they are engaging them alone, do you really think the profession attracts the best and the brightest who make smart choices all the time?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But until we get to that point, universal background checks and a federal registry are a relatively cheap and straightforward way to crack down on guns diverted from legal channels.

The Govt. is prohibited from establishing a registry thanks to FOPA in '86

No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary's authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926

So that's a small hiccup that needs to be rolled back first before a registry could happen.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah Canada tossed their registry a few years back and outright said it didn't solve poo poo and was costing more than it was saving.

Scrapped the Long Gun Registry. The "Restricted" registry, which is for handguns, AR-15's, and select other long guns is still intact.

The system is still broken, but it's a little better without the LGR

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, and if only Auto Manufacturers funded a lobby to defund studies into Automotive safety. THEN maybe your comparison would be a LITTLE valid.

If you are talking about the CDC, while that's not quite what happened the end result is the same as if they had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickey_Amendment_(1996)

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

"Sure hope we picked up all his firearms and he wasn't just hiding a bunch of them, but we'll never know!"

Wasn't this the case with that Oklahoma shooting last October, Michael Vance?

Had another gun stashed that he took possession of after he got out of jail. Then he killed two family members, went on the run, ultimately shooting a couple police as well before they killed him?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

DoktorLoken posted:

systemic racism, poverty and a lack of proper mental health care

DoktorLoken posted:

so isolated and angry at society that they're willing to lash out and murder 50+ people

These things are quintessentially American, and I really don't think you'll find a way to change them any time soon.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

brand engager posted:

lmao this is basically a fuckin command&conquer story cutscene

Greg Burdette was more convincing.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

Seems weird to me that people in the military forum are outraged that armed agents of the state charged with making life or death decisions may get it wrong sometimes and kill the wrong people on the basis of imperfect knowledge, without any malice or having committed a crime.

It's because it's not us, you see.

Or you know, we've just gained additional wisdom.

But my nickel is still on the fact that it's not us, so we can be critical.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

As a gun owner, I just want the gun loving and the gun hating retards to stop loving it up for the rest of us. It's not that hard to get along with one another.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

and background check requirements on all transfers of firearms.

This part is a little sticky.

If you tell me that I can't give my brother or my cousin a rifle, either to keep or borrow for a range trip without calling in a transfer, I'm likely to just ignore it as will many others (see washington's Initiative 594, both wording and gun owning public response).

I've been through that system before, and it required me to keep a goddamned certificate with me whenever I took the rifle out to the bush.

It was an expensive waste of time and money, and it had no appreciable value. The police were actually overly reliant on the broken thing, trusting the flawed data and dropping their guard because the computer said no guns were in the house.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I fear that all of that could be jeopardized if they come out too hard and too fast on federal-level gun legislation. I think any candidate who comes out in favor of another AWB, or who makes that a plank in their platform, is going to be DOA outside of a safe liberal enclave.

I fear you are correct and they'll gently caress the whole thing up.

Guns are what they keep using to shoot themselves in the foot. If they could backburner it while they fix the rest of the country and set the path in motion to enforce whats on the books, they would be in a much more tenable position to implement useful legislation without instant furor shortly after.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

ZombieApostate posted:

I just want to say I'm glad you're doing this because I'm flipping my poo poo just reading the conversation and therefore don't think joining in would be constructive.

This one is actually pretty tame. I advise you to avoid some of the other ones because they are full of both sides who are so entrenched and pulling the no comprise bit that it's nothing but a mess.

And Mr. Nice, the US Culture is vastly different and pretty toxic. Yes you share a fair amount of the same media/information culture, but the way Americans actually behave is pretty abhorrent to a lot of the rest of the world. Don't discount the effect your culture has on how this plays out.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've met plenty of Aussies, Brits, and Germans that are basically bog standard Americans and I've met plenty of Americans that are bog standard Europeans. Yes there is some cultural differences, but the American Way doesn't explain mass shootings every 3 days.

I should have taken a couple more minutes to word things a little better, but I'm starting to suffer from the same flu that has already killed off over 40,414 Americans so far this season (That number was from the 10th, so I don't doubt it's jumped. 22 kids alone died from it in the last week) so I'm not putting in the effort as much as I should. I'm kind of tempted to just request you disregard what I said, because I'm clearly not up to discussing it even though I would like to, and not for combative purposes. I wanted to discus some crimerate data with you as well, but now is not the time.

There are plenty of kind hearted individuals, honest and hardworking, and those are the ones who are for the most part interchangeable.
And then plenty of people like I'm talking about. And you know them when you meet them, because gun or no gun you want some space between you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also to your comment about Paddock being wealthy enough to buy, there's no need for anyone to buy as many weapons as he did unless you're running a shooting school or something, and even then he would have documentation or proof. That's what I'm meaning about regulation. No one needs to buy 50+ guns in a year.

There are plenty of people who own 50+ Mosin Nagant rifles. An outdated bolt action. Any big collector of anything will have specimens that range over a products production run and encompasses design changes and variations. Gun collectors are no different.
Locked in my safe I have several .22lr rifles from the 1950's that are the same base model, and each one has various design changes as production continued. The bolts changed, the lifters were simplified. These kind of things make it interesting to collect them. Boring to everyone else who just sees a couple "identical" rifles, but interesting to a collector.

The thing about guns, particularly long arms, is you, the user, still only have two hands. Doesn't matter if you own sixty rifles and fourteen handguns, you sure as hell can't use them all at once. Even with new york reloads it's a ridiculous concept and a non-issue.

One of the things about Paddock's rifles is that they were essentially five thousand dollar varmint guns. This is GiP damnit, everyone here should be well aware that the 5.56x45/.223 cartridge is a speedy varmint round that is useful primarily because the higher ammunition load a soldier can carry fits the infantry doctrine. It's not particularly effective against larger (than varmint) game when hunting either.

If you can safely store 50+ guns, then fill your boots. If you live in a ramshackle hut and can't secure them, it's not such a good idea.

Legislation for storage isn't bad, as long as you find a balance between "unlocked guns everywhere" and Australia's "Needs to be in a expensive safe rated at xx, and bolted to such and such." Trigger locks are a joke, but they are all you need for compliance in some jurisdictions. I have a whack of them. I store my guns in a safe in a locked room, and if they are out of the safe but still in the locked room they get a lock on them. Even airguns get locked up in there.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

Well you could take them all to the same hotel room and use them to murder over fifty innocent people

That would truly be a dick move.

But if you start banning some things that "could" be misused, you're going to have a mess pretty quickly.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

jfc this actually happened did you forget

No.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not really, we have more substantial controls around most things that effectively kill groups of people and are not guns. Go start buying bomb ingredients or chemical weapon precursors or anything remotely radiological in large quantities without a commercial license and see how long it is before you have a conversation with law enforcement. And the license requires proving you can handle the stuff safely, makes you liable for any diversion you should have reasonably protected against, usually will force you to carry sufficient insurance, etc. And by golly, some random schmuck using those things to kill people happens to be extraordinarily rare. Just a coincidence?

I'm not against licenses. I have one.
The point is there is a poo poo ton of unregulated things that can kill, and if you ban them, not just slap restrictions on them, it's going to cause a mess.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

SimonCat posted:

He had 23 in his hotel room, and how many of those did he actually shoot? You only need one and a stack of magazines.

Also, he apparently had ammonium nitrate stocked up in his car. Why wasn't he arrested by the FBI for that?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-04/las-vegas-shooting-what-do-we-know-about-the-guns-that-were-used/9013764

Probably several of the .223's, those large magazines he was using are notorious for jamming and feeding incorrectly. Plus with the volume of fire the gun would be heating up quite a bit. It doesn't take long to heat the handguards doing a normal magdump, let alone extended ones of high volume inaccurate fire.

I believe the authorities stated that a .308 was used in the attempt to shoot the avgas tanks.

So, you have at least one .308 (but probably only one), his suicide handgun, and then in all likelihood several of the high-end .223's.

You can buy ammonium nitrate without much trouble, or you can buy a poo poo load of binary targets, since they aren't regulated until they've been mixed. (whether or not they should be is an ongoing debate) It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was binary mixed in bulk in his trunk.

If you stack enough binary together you can get some pretty impressive results, it'll blow up a vehicles, a barn, fridges or a lawnmower (not gonna link that one, it doesn't end well.).

People do some pretty dumb things when they aren't explicitly prohibited from doing so.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Also if you're into guns and want to keep them, you should probably be for some forms of gun control. Eventually someone is going to really up the ante and its going to involve multiple people and bombs, while democrats have control, and you're not going to like the results of it.

Its not going to happen though. I don't see Republicans in this climate doing anything that could be labeled gun control even if its just a campaign for gun safety and encouraging gun safes.

I hold out hope that democrats can put together a decent gun bill, but I'm not holding my breath because I've seen the quality they come up with.

If we could just prevent the lunatics from acting out in the meantime it would be wonderful, but we can't and they won't, and we'll get knee-jerk reaction laws.

Gun safes, gun cabinets, and gun locks, are a decent standard to make the norm. The only problem is cost. You have to keep the bare minimum affordable and not an entry barrier or you'll raise the ire of people who can't afford a safe, or don't live somewhere they can install one (and/or their advocates).

Training is good for all ages. Making sure children understand that guns aren't toys and aren't for playing with is important. Making teenagers understand that guns aren't toys and life isn't a loving videogame is important.

My biggest fear though is the democrats are gonna gently caress the whole thing up and allow the republicans to stay in power. The country is going to be even more hosed if that happens.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the lawnmower video guy loses a leg fyi

That is why I didn't want to link it. I figured anyone in GiP with half a brain would understand that turning a lawnmower into an IED is a horrible decision.

And since it doesn't get said enough, gently caress the nra. Those morons have made things worse since they did their little coup and went hardline no-compromise.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Steezo posted:

One that has very clear consequences if it's used by law enforcement to harass people minorities.

Need these kind of protections for more than just safes/storage. It's (firearms/self defense) been historically leveraged against minorities and those deemed undesirable (poor, among other types) by those in control and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Some of those tiny pistol safes are promising, a balance between low cost and basic security. They cost about the same as a hipoint, and would determine casual access like curious offspring and quick smash and grab type of thieves. Can still get them open and have your handgun ready in short order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

Redneck Revolt as well

Just make sure you nope the gently caress out if they start getting a little too inclined towards violence.

• Locked thread