Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Victor Vermis posted:

Guy runs before they've searched him, then stops and wheels, raising his hand and directing it towards the cop.

Shouldn't be a cop if he can't wait to see if that fraction-of-a-second motion ends with a bullet through his brain, right?

Cops are never wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

This is correct.

But pretty easily circumvented.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have no plans to google this but I wonder if anyone has legit tried to stick their dick in the barrel of a gun and had a ND.

The answer is obviously yes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

*police seize weapons illegally and murder people during a disaster*

"guys there's nothing wrong here"

yeah, if only the people the police murdered were armed.

bad guy with a gun against a good guy with a gun.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah. Slippery slope and all. Can't let the gays marry either because in 2045 people will want to marry robots.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

new friend from school posted:

Sorry, I thought the Darren Wilson memorial would be the slapfight thread. Is that it, or is there another one I didn't notice?

E: checked both threads' OP's, and while this is clearly not the main cop thread, I'm still not sure about the other one?

This is the thread for all of the topics that derail the current events thread until it either gets closed or a bunch of probations get handed out.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Chichevache posted:

poo poo, man. Let's take this dumb thought experiment further to see if we can't warp the argument into complete chaos: I bake cupcakes sometimes because they are easy and it tastes good. Sometimes people get diabetes and heart problems and other fat people poo poo and die. Also I'm actively trying to kill people with my sugar-loaded goodness.

You catch more flies with sugar and you kill more people with guns.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If a registry could flag a guy for buying 30 rifles in a year that might help with prevention but idk

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

Could. It could do that.

Maybe we should have a registry of people who aren't allowed to own firearms? Like a no-flygun list. That way we focus on the mentally ill and criminals, rather than sane and law-abiding citizens who like to go punch holes through paper once in a while and defend their homes.

Because people like you will see the slippery slope of a registry for mentally ill people and how arbitrary that is.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

And I'm not saying slippery slope, I'm straight up calling it a prerequisite for any kind of enforceable firearms ban.

You could probably straight up call any firearm legislation a prerequisite for any kind of enforceable firearms ban.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If the government wants your guns and they knock on your door and you point to the constitution and federal statute number 69 section 420 and show them your concealed carry permit and your expert marksmanship badge and call of duty kdr they are going to be like "yep this guy has us, we won't seize his firearms. Next house!"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Doc Hawkins posted:

If we're actually talking electoral politics, as a registered Democrat, I want our party platform to drop gun control entirely except for cops, because as much as I'd happily take all y'all's guns, it's not happening in our lifetimes and there's even worse human tragedies at stake.

59 people dying and 200 wounded is pretty high up on the list imho, so you're going to need to define human tragedy for me.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah my bad.

59 people died? Well, we can't try to do anything about that because of this this and this.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Professor Bling posted:

That's not what I said. The options I laid out would absolutely reduce gun crime outside of statistical anomalies like the Vegas attacks, and lol if you think any ban on assault weapons would be anything other that 1) punishing law abiding owners of the nation's most popular rifle platform, 2) vague enough to be an actual infringement on the 2A rights of American citizens, or 3) so tightly written as to end up ineffective when confronted by anyone of means, like, say, the Vegas shooter.

VT was committed with pistols, one of which was a .22 caliber Walther. The Northern Illinois University shooting in which four students were killed was committed with a shotgun.

People that want to commit mass murder are going to find a way. Anders Breivik managed to jump through every legal hoop in Norway and still holds the world record for deadliest mass shooting.

So, yeah, when you suggest something actually effective at stopping this, then we'll talk. Bans aren't effective in any guise that doesn't punish lawful owners for a tragedy they had no hand in.

The last ban we tried didn't work so we should never try it again.

I'm also not personally advocating banning firearms, but I don't think anyone needs a high cap assault rifle. Just because something is fun and most people don't break the law doesn't mean you should be granted ownership. I wouldn't advocate everyone having tanks even if every single tank was 100% guaranteed to sit in someone's driveway and never moved.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
There's more than one firearm for every person in the country. I would be willing to bet the sheer volume of firearms in the US is part of the reason there's so much gun violence.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Professor Bling posted:

Just because a couple batshit dudes broke the law doesn't mean I should be denied ownership. Work on the cause, not a symptom. Otherwise the disease is still there.

The amount of gun violence in the US isn't perpetuated by a "couple" of anything.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Professor Bling posted:

And the majority of that violence is committed by pistols. Keep moving the goalposts if you want but you're trying to conflate two very different things here.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

The last ban we tried didn't work so we should never try it again.

I'm also not personally advocating banning firearms, but I don't think anyone needs a high cap assault rifle. Just because something is fun and most people don't break the law doesn't mean you should be granted ownership. I wouldn't advocate everyone having tanks even if every single tank was 100% guaranteed to sit in someone's driveway and never moved.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When you go get mental health care because you want to kill yourself they take your shoelaces and belt even though your shoe laces and belt aren't the problem.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

Right, because there's evidence (arguably) that you might pose a threat to yourself.

They don't the laces and belt from everyone in the nation.

What if your belt and shoe laces posed a threat to other people, though, as we as a culture have pretty much shown to be the case with outrageous gun violence levels?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

this is at least as dumb an analogy as Godholio's shoelaces and belts

That was my analogy, friend.

And it's a pretty good analogy when people say you absolutely under no circumstances can do anything about or change the second amendment given the constitution has been altered a bunch throughout history.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Fwiw it seems people have drawn their lines in the sand and the only thing that will change anyone's mind is a drastic life event (like the dude who changed his mind about gun control after he lived through Vegas) so most of my posts can be seen as low effort trolling.

Although I've never heard of someone going through some crazy poo poo and thinking we need less gun control, only the other way around. Which I think should count for something.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Professor Bling posted:

Shhh, no, see, the problem is guns, not the actual sources of violence

Yep, it's the shooty tubes entirely and without shooty tubes everything would be rainbows and unicorns

Like 20 people have said that both should be taken care of.

There's more than one firearm per person in the US and if you don't think that contributes to the violence then you're just kind of stupid.

Do you really think we shouldn't at the very least take a closer look at someone who buys 30+ firearms in a 12 month span?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

There are a lot of other things that contribute too. You're trying to focus on ONE, using means that are either unconstitutional, unenforceable, or of little/no preventative value.
People have suggested actual ideas for gun control. You've just said "no we need to focus on this instead" without suggesting actual ideas. It looks like you're more anti-taking your guns than actually solving the problem.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

ive got a brilliant idea that will solve the problem:

lets ban murder

This won't work at all because criminals don't follow laws

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you own a firearm you have to carry "I Shot You" insurance. It works like car insurance.

Watch how quick the laws change when insurance lobbyists don't want to foot the bill for 250 people getting shot and 59 of them dying.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

That's not how insurance works.

Companies won't offer it if they judge it'll be a bad financial investment.

Hmm... and why would it be a bad financial investment?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

It's not, inherently. That's why it already exists. But once again, if we're talking about making this mandatory, how about you explain what it's supposed to fix?

A bunch of billion dollar companies having to shell out a shitload of money because a bunch of people are idiots?

Nothing. Nothing about America's gun culture fetish would be affected in this, a country that values money above all else.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Bored As gently caress posted:

I'd agree with you about the "liberals are the real racist" thing being bullshit under any other circumstance, but mandatory training (not carry them concealed), insurance, or safe storage laws to simply own firearms will disproportionately affect the poor, and a disproportionate amount of the poor people in this country happen to be minorities due in large part to the systemic racism that has existed in this country since its founding.

Lol

"I would agree with you on everything except this because it would conflict with my viewpoint"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

How do the voter ID laws target minority voters to prevent them from voting? What, are minorities incapable of getting an ID card? Last I checked white people are still annoyed by the DMV hours and locations, just as much as any minority. There are no private whites only ID offices. That seems like a very weak point.

Minority: Hi I'm here to vote
Polling Officer: OK do you have any form of ID that proves who you are?
Minority: Yes I have a drivers license like 98% of the USA.
Polling Officer: OK here is your ballot :patriot:

You aren't eligible to vote just because you have a photo ID. If you were, a lot of this issue would be resolved.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

Is 'voter ID law' just a pretty label that is applied to the actual law which is more nefarious? Unless the law was called 'voter ID law' but in reality you had to provide a passport in order to vote, that might be a real problem.

I'm having a tough time putting this in a post without it being an essay so just read a brief summary of issues here:

https://www.brennancenter.org/new-voting-restrictions-america

I remember some dumb story about a place to get IDs in one district only being open on the 5th Wednesday of the month.

Yes. The 5th.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 13, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

:lol: if you think these are strong feelings.

A voter registration card isn't held equally by democrats? :thunk:

My Florida, Mississippi, and Texas CCWs all have had photos on them. CCWs are state issued licenses, how can they not have pictures on them? They would be useless otherwise.

Then get a state ID.

Hey, just like gun laws!

You're talking from your hip and don't really have a clue about the actual issue. If it was as simple as "just go get a state ID" then it wouldn't be an issue at all.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

A fair point.

I'll go see what I can find about it since I'm likely not going to be convinced here, and it's just "you don't know what you're talking about" followed by "we're not here to educate you" snark.

If the only place in your area to get an ID only issued the on the 5th Wednesday of the month, would that seem fair to you?

Because that is the type of thing that happens in poor minority areas.

Like yeah you can plan for it, but the nearest place that does it every day is an hour drive away. And the wait at places like that isn't usually short. So you have to take an entire day just to get an ID. Whereas that affluent county is able to drive five minutes and do it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

vains posted:

I never said they were equivalent, you stupid bitch. It wasn't implied and it wasn't overtly stated. I neither implied nor overtly stated it because I don't think that voter suppression and gun control are related.

You could be replaced by a bot that just posts random liberal talking points in response to keywords and no one would know the difference.

Right or wrong, you're an idiot and I would disagree with you out of spite, crybaby.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

vains posted:

dude. you are literally the dumbest man alive.

Dude. Where's my car

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

vains posted:

1-for the record, i didn't buy you a title change because that is the biggest bitchmade move there is. however, i don't disagree with the sentiment.

2-you called me a bigot in response to a joke about the similarities in rhetoric used. your first move is 'attack person directly'. you do realize that, right?

but, to be clear, you are garbage and cole is babyshit soft and a moron. neither opinions are related to the political positions held.

we have nationwide id in almost everything but name. as a citizen, you can't get a drivers license without a ssn(and 2 bills, a character witness and the moyle who performed your bris). it should be relatively uninvolved to just make a national ID, run it through state DMV offices, and provide some funding to make it all happen without loving over old people who dont drive.

but, i agree. i dont think that there can be any debate that the state level laws aren't about protecting the sanctity of the vote.

Nice meltdown crybaby.
And an internet crybaby at that lmao

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Victor Vermis posted:

The one where he can turn around, use it on you, and then murder you?

I may just be a simple pervert wrangler, but

That seems like something you shouldn't have to roll the dice on. Good for you for knowing yourself with such a high degree of certainty that you can say another man deserves a ~20 year sentence for not handling the situation as well as you've handled it.

.. I assume that's happened to you. Can't imagine why else you'd be so certain of his thought process.

i think there are rare occasions where shooting someone in the back is justified as self defense. this wasn't one of them though.

but i mean if you want to play "what if" with people and shoot them because your "what if" scenario ends with them killing you, then i guess cops should just be weapons free on everyone.

because...

like...

what if, man?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Victor Vermis posted:

Questionable use of lethal force aside,

In your opinion, someone who just wrestled a tazer out of a cop's hand presents the same amount of baseline risk as "everyone else"?

Shut up Cole.

Is his back to me because he is running away from me? He serves as much risk to me as everyone else in that situation, yeah. Probably less risk than someone legally open carrying an AR, to be honest.

But lmao at prefacing your question with "questionable use of lethal force aside"

Keep doing mental gymnastics to justify cops murdering people.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Nevermind, you're right. Reality is a lethal weapon movie and we should just plug everyone like an action scene because maybe... just maybe... they'll do some wicked 360 noscope on me from 20 feet away with a taser.

Just like in the movies.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Victor Vermis posted:

It's your premise. If you think it's "mental gymnastics" then maybe you should..

Shut.

Up.

Cole.

i agreed with you in the next post fam.

walter scott was armed to the teeth with a taser and was running away and would have done a flip like nic cage in face/off and popped the cop clean and accurate with that taser.

the cop had no choice.

no.

other

choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
how VV saw Walter Scott acting with that taser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmjrgmeWWJA

• Locked thread