Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I really like this game although the combat difficulty can be brutal at times.

I suggest Konrad the Assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Scare him.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
C

If I'm remembering that fight correctly Bill Nye's build is nowhere near where it needs to be to wreck those bandits.

I think I'm going to revisit this game. I've never played it the whole way through, always starting new playthroughs since the early game and difference between starting situations is so interesting. I'd really recommend this to anyone who can tolerate the graphics.

The other game with this engine, Dungeon Rats, I don't care for as much. It has none of the strengths that this game has but all of its weaknesses. It's combat difficulty is much more reasonable but it has way too much combat and not enough intrigue.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

PurpleXVI posted:

poo poo, at a glance I'm hugely tempted to go grab this game and try it out myself. Anything to be aware of before I make that decision?

This game in a nutshell:

Pros

++ Interesting and novel setting, world building
++ Interesting and novel character creation and skill system
+ Surprisingly varied early game, and one of the more engaging "tutorial cities" in any game
+ Good and not overly-long dialogue
+ Competent art design
+ Competent crafting system
+ Variety of viable combat builds

Cons

- Difficult and RNG dependent combat system necessitates save scumming some fights, even with an optimized combat build (to the game's credit, there are a number of different and viable ways to optimize a combat build. No way to guarantee you will survive a given fight, though)
- Skill checks can be bullshit at times, and trying to pass some skillchecks are completely impractical (may have been changed since 2015)
-- Extremely dated graphics. The graphics would have been good c. 2003/2004

EDIT: I personally would recommend it to just about anyone at the 7.99 or whatever sale price it was just on sale for, I think I payed about $20 for it during its early access and I consider it one of my better video game purchases.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 28, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, I don't care about the graphics, but...

Is the combat more RNG-based than, say, the Infinity Engine games? If it requires more save-scumming than Baldur's Gate due to save-or-die effects, it may be just too far gone for me. :v:

And with regards to the skill checks, is that to say that for some skill checks require extremely high values to pass, for the point of the game which they're at? Or is it something else?

There are not really any save-or-die effects, and there is probably less save-scumming overall than Infinity Engine games just because there is less combat and the combat tends to be more decisive. Combat is rarely mandatory and usually takes the form of you vs a tough handful of enemies and is often decided in a few turns. However combat often comes down to whether you roll a crucial dodge or land an especially important knockdown hammer strike, and that's where the RNG really shows.

The skill checks are generally ok but there are some skill checks that are completely unworkable. To give one example that comes to mind, solving a certain situation early on requires either a very high impersonate check, a series of much more reasonable but much more varied skill checks and a single difficult combat, or ~3 difficult combat encounters in a row. In that example the impersonate check is basically impossible, the series of skill checks probably requires some foreknowledge, and the full-combat option requires a combat-heavy build and probably some save scumming. It's not hugely dickish and not indicative of all sequences but those types of situations do show up from time to time and can be frustrating.

• Locked thread