Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

rudatron posted:

There's a difference between worshippimg amerikkka, and just recognizing that China isn't going to save you, or the world, or China, or anyone else who isn't a ccp member/chinese business leader

I was arguing that 50 years out from now it is possible. BRICS countries are going to be a very large part of the economy, and are already forming extensive rival governance institutions. I'm not really that interested in how posters here think that is ridiculous as many professional China scholars believe it is in the realm of possibility. Some of that is probably fueled by Trump hysteria and resent towards USGAY but it's not that outlandish to suggest rival China led institutions will become powerful. It's important to note that they're still developing and may be a less transactional partner in the future, while the US seems to be regressing into a shittier worse country and ally by the day.

gucci bane has issued a correction as of 03:22 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

So what?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Maggotmaster was the Bolivian (Peruvian?) kid who got perma'd for posting a thread about assassinating Obama.

chilean

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only good permabanned lf guy was the person who's now known as lowenaffchen, everyone else sucked

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I don't know if the individual guys were good but dumb threads where communist anime gimmicks argue about abstract political topics is funnier to me than 1000 page threads of serious people earnestly posting their outrage at twitter liberals

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I still remember the Anime is Reality thread, and I've never been able to find it since.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Commerz posted:

I was arguing that 50 years out from now it is possible. BRICS countries are going to be a very large part of the economy, and are already forming extensive rival governance institutions. I'm not really that interested in how posters here think that is ridiculous as many professional China scholars believe it is in the realm of possibility. Some of that is probably fueled by Trump hysteria and resent towards USGAY but it's not that outlandish to suggest rival China led institutions will become powerful. It's important to note that they're still developing and may be a less transactional partner in the future, while the US seems to be regressing into a shittier worse country and ally by the day.
The point of contention want that China wouldn't attempt to create other institutions, or that China may eclipse the US. It's that those institutions would be anything other than self-serving, or would represent an alternate economic order to the current one - rather, they're just going to be a continuation, with themselves being the beneficiaries of exploitation instead of the US.

See the South China Sea stuff for just how much respect China has for anyone else (none).

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

China is surrounded by US allies and heaps of bases so claiming a few islands isn't that bad. It may be breaking UNCLOS but guess what, USA didn't sign that agreement because they also do whatever they want. If you live under the assumption that you can trust USA to be a reliable state that follows the rules based liberal order then I can understand you position. however China probably does not share your opinion on this and in my eyes they are justified for fearing or at least being skeptical of the US. in terms of political change you should probably have a think about how long 50 years really is before you make sweeping claims about what is possible. remember that the US walked away from the TTP however China is still working on RCEP. they aren't really that comparable as agreements but in terms of commitment to establishing regional Asian orders China is making headway. I'm not sure if China will become a more reciprocal partner over time but it's possible and would be a smart move.

gucci bane has issued a correction as of 06:29 on May 29, 2017

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Commerz posted:

The Chinese system is plagued by huge SOEs, misguided intervention, crashes due to one sided reporting on OBOR, ect but it is way more egalitarian than the US market. Both systems are prone to collapse. Americans have nothing to be arrogant about.

edit: please respond with post-autistic economics only, i dont wanna hear some dumb rant about regulation causing distortion on muh free market

ah many of those huge SOEs are just not for profit pass through vehicles for infrastructure (energy, transportation) or are used to to develop raw material processing overseas to supply cheap commodities to domestic companies.

maybe 13% are a "problem" because of "debt" *

debt to itself and those debts are honored over a long rear end period of time because that's how national finance works

for example, the US is still carrying debt from WW2

as long as china retains a semi floating peg and capital controls on inflow and outflow it will be fine

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

I'm not sold on Central Bank versus Party control. Technocrats at the ECB, for example, seem to align with the concerns of finance capital while leaving ordinary people out to dry.

e: I'm not saying the CPC gives a poo poo either, just that democratic control is a preferable thing.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Typo posted:

you know where chinese insiders/rich people invest in?

Vancouver housing.

Should tell you a lot

the cancer has spread to toronto as well.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
here's a bubble for ya, fuelled courtesy mainlanders trying to get their money out. i hope xi cuts their heads off but half of them are probably party members lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/InvestTranscend/status/867803024483332096

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
so whens our economy going to pull a hot wheel ramp manuever

it is an accelerationism joke

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tekz posted:

gotta nip that poo poo in the bud so that it doesn't spread. it didn't happen in san francisco and seattle, so those parasites are starting to leech portland dry

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Rip Alberta

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Commerz posted:

I don't know if the individual guys were good but dumb threads where communist anime gimmicks argue about abstract political topics

That world still exists it's just on Twitter nowadays

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

why maggotmaster ofc

it was goatstein

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rudatron posted:

Rip Alberta

it's genuinely amusing what a pack of jackals have been running this province for the past 50-odd years

the provincial NDP's gonna get shitcanned next election because they got handed a no-win fiscal situation spawned by a nearly unbroken line of conservative profligacy and everyone's got their head so far up their rear end that they think it's somehow the NDP's policies driving away investment instead of oil now being permanently in the toilet

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

we're on a god drat windswept, sunsoaked prairie and the only thing people can think of to do to generate money is to dig poo poo out of the ground at enormous cost, it's insane

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

tekz posted:

I live in t/o atm so yes, I would know

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

tekz posted:

I'm not sold on Central Bank versus Party control. Technocrats at the ECB, for example, seem to align with the concerns of finance capital while leaving ordinary people out to dry.

e: I'm not saying the CPC gives a poo poo either, just that democratic control is a preferable thing.

depending what you mean by "democratic control", is the fed under democratic control because he/she are appointed by and can be removed by elected officials?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Vermain posted:

we're on a god drat windswept, sunsoaked prairie and the only thing people can think of to do to generate money is to dig poo poo out of the ground at enormous cost, it's insane

stupid stpid stupid when u can always maek money selling farting on opeoples faces

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

it was goatstein
goatstein was funny as poo poo

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

lmao the brics are a hot mess

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The brics were always actually just a meme, except for China (I wonder why...). Convergence is a lie but it sure does make for good middle brow airport reading in the Economist I guess.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the economy is a bubble pipe

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Commerz posted:

I don't know if the individual guys were good but dumb threads where communist anime gimmicks argue about abstract political topics is funnier to me than 1000 page threads of serious people earnestly posting their outrage at twitter liberals

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

they weren't gimmicks

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
LF owned.

I still have Filipino anti-American mtwist propaganda on my HDD somewhere.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
LF was fun because everyone in there rightly knew that China was America Painted Red.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Commerz posted:

I was arguing that 50 years out from now it is possible. BRICS countries are going to be a very large part of the economy, and are already forming extensive rival governance institutions.
this is exactly the argument we heard from every investment advisor in the west in 2005

since then:
- Brazil's GDP was shown to be 8% higher than it really should have been because it was all corrupt bribes and kickbacks
- Russia has paralyzed its economy with belligerent foreign policy that has led to sanctions by most of its trading partners, which in turn has led to mass misery and lowering QoL in the country, which in turn has stifled innovation that spurs greater growth (seriously, Russia is hosed and will be until there is a massive change at the top)
- India has done okay when its government institutions have actually done their jobs and not implicitly tried to re-introduce the caste system in rural areas, but this happens often and has demonstratively damaged economic growth
- China has drifted away from opening up access to private enterprise in favor of large-scale spending on largely obsolete technologies in an attempt to build businesses just by spending a lot of money on business things, which has worked exactly zero times in the great communist experiment.

basically none of the BRIC countries have lived up to their promise and you only made money on them if you got while the getting was good.

the big mistake people continuously make with forecasts like this is presuming that bad governments can't, in fact, be that bad. everyone knew Putin was a problem in 2005, but they always figured he couldn't be that bad, the free people of Russia would demand better lives. everyone knew corruption was a thing in Brazil, but nobody imagined it could be so huge as 8 cents of every dollar transacted in the country. perhaps the biggest thing that should horrify you is that in this world we live in, right now, amerikkka has one of the better governments out there. not the best and not 'good' by any stretch of the imagination, but people are actively failing to imagine how bad governments can be when the USA exists. think about that.

also, "50 years from now" is a worthless preface because one of the world's leading robotics CEOs is predicting the loving Singularity in 30. make up your own mind on whether or not you believe him, the point is if you start out with "50 years from now", you're actually saying "if the world were completely unrecognizable". yeah, sure, in 50 years we might all be getting around with warhammer 40k assault marine jump packs for all we know. the world is loving crazy out there. it doesn't make what you're saying novel, new, or profound.

Coolguye has issued a correction as of 20:13 on May 30, 2017

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol

mags
May 30, 2008

LF was really good but CSPAM is the new political shitposting paradigm.

the realignment towards liberalism as the defacto ideology of shitposting illustrates the leadership team had it out for the anti-imperalist LF membership and wanted a much more establishment friendly shitposting environment

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

techno-utopians really are dumber than lieberals aren't they?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KaptainKrunk posted:

techno-utopians really are dumber than lieberals aren't they?

techno utopia at least has a vision for the future

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i prefer triphop-utiopia myself

mags
May 30, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

i prefer triphop-utiopia myself

gabber utopia

mags
May 30, 2008

by shubelmorgan

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
gabba

gool

utopia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mormonpartyboat posted:

gabba

gool

utopia

the immortal machines who maintain our perfect society do so with only one goal in mind, to allow humanity to fugghettaboutit

• Locked thread