Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

like, the world will absolutely be unrecognizable in 50 years because mass automation will cause an enormous crisis in capitalist economies, but if you think we're hitting the singularity in 30 years i wanna see your drat calculations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
imagine, if you will

in fifty years

the memes

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Coolguye posted:

this is exactly the argument we heard from every investment advisor in the west in 2005

since then:
- Brazil's GDP was shown to be 8% higher than it really should have been because it was all corrupt bribes and kickbacks
- Russia has paralyzed its economy with belligerent foreign policy that has led to sanctions by most of its trading partners, which in turn has led to mass misery and lowering QoL in the country, which in turn has stifled innovation that spurs greater growth (seriously, Russia is hosed and will be until there is a massive change at the top)
- India has done okay when its government institutions have actually done their jobs and not implicitly tried to re-introduce the caste system in rural areas, but this happens often and has demonstratively damaged economic growth
- China has drifted away from opening up access to private enterprise in favor of large-scale spending on largely obsolete technologies in an attempt to build businesses just by spending a lot of money on business things, which has worked exactly zero times in the great communist experiment.

basically none of the BRIC countries have lived up to their promise and you only made money on them if you got while the getting was good.

the big mistake people continuously make with forecasts like this is presuming that bad governments can't, in fact, be that bad. everyone knew Putin was a problem in 2005, but they always figured he couldn't be that bad, the free people of Russia would demand better lives. everyone knew corruption was a thing in Brazil, but nobody imagined it could be so huge as 8 cents of every dollar transacted in the country. perhaps the biggest thing that should horrify you is that in this world we live in, right now, amerikkka has one of the better governments out there. not the best and not 'good' by any stretch of the imagination, but people are actively failing to imagine how bad governments can be when the USA exists. think about that.

also, "50 years from now" is a worthless preface because one of the world's leading robotics CEOs is predicting the loving Singularity in 30. make up your own mind on whether or not you believe him, the point is if you start out with "50 years from now", you're actually saying "if the world were completely unrecognizable". yeah, sure, in 50 years we might all be getting around with warhammer 40k assault marine jump packs for all we know. the world is loving crazy out there. it doesn't make what you're saying novel, new, or profound.

india is getting some sort of boost from liberalization and foreign investment coming in but it also seems hellbent on reopening ethnic and religions faultlines that should be closed.

it was already one of the most unequal countries in the world, that's gonna be exacerbated with rising living costs and not-rising wages for most of the urban and rural poor, lots of debt bondage and farmer suicides going on. i think it's ripe for an explosion in the next decade

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
replace every acronym with CUM

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
lots of effort happening in here

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Vermain posted:

like, the world will absolutely be unrecognizable in 50 years because mass automation will cause an enormous crisis in capitalist economies, but if you think we're hitting the singularity in 30 years i wanna see your drat calculations

that guy bases it on 1 neuron = 1 transistor which... i'm not sure is accurate.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
maybe i just need more transistors tho.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

techno-utopians really are dumber than lieberals aren't they?

it's basically religion

confronted with the awful mess we've made if everything and the essentially nonexistent chance that we'll fix any of it before it's too late, some people find it comforting to pray that we'll invent a perfect machine god that will make everything better

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

techno utopia at least has a vision for the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x5YDCj-wiE

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Vermain posted:

the article goes on and fuckin on about superintelligence and the relative IQs of various chips, which at least jives a little bit. most of the problem doing things not retarded comes from software though and while i'm not exactly bleeding edge of machine learning i'm not aware of any great discoveries that would make that bullshit possible, nor am i clear on how making faster and more efficient will enable current theories to so much better we can stop computers from doing massive amounts of stupid poo poo.

the CEO, of course, neglects to explain any of this.

anime was right posted:

that guy bases it on 1 neuron = 1 transistor which... i'm not sure is accurate.

it's KIND OF accurate in that transistors allow a mechanical/electrical discharge and switching setup that SUPERFICIALLY resembles a neural structure, but we already know that neurons will work together and specialize in various ways that transistors don't implicitly do, so all of that is going to need to be way more deeply understood and baked into the hardware driver level, probably

basically the above

Coolguye has issued a correction as of 00:08 on May 31, 2017

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Al! posted:

the immortal machines who maintain our perfect society do so with only one goal in mind, to allow humanity to fugghettaboutit

man I would love a Culture book as seen through the lens of NYCguidovoice

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

get that OUT of my face posted:

they weren't gimmicks

i am a communist manga tyvm :colbert:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

I mean silicon valley style transhumanism is the only reasonable extrapolation of the liberal world view

It's literally about turning capitalist growth into a religion with technocratic elites ruling over everything

It's an ideology for people who think they are above ideology

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

mister magpie posted:

lots of effort happening in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLB1W8Yz_X4

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Dreddout posted:

I mean silicon valley style transhumanism is the only reasonable extrapolation of the liberal world view

It's literally about turning capitalist growth into a religion with technocratic elites ruling over everything

lol this is a thing you think aint happened

money is the lie that holds society together and tears it apart

whats an internal contradiction

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

lol this is a thing you think aint happened

money is the lie that holds society together and tears it apart

whats an internal contradiction

That's my point

it's what happens when you take neoliberal ideology and rarefy it into a utopian future

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Dreddout posted:

That's my point

it's what happens when you take neoliberal ideology and rarefy it into a utopian future

utopian futures say more about the present than the future

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

why did you have to gently caress the thread up by mentioning some computer geek poo poo you loving nerd

BRICS owns and you don't know anything. lol at arguing India will be fine unless it reopens its racism factories, it didn't seem to the affect USA at all

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
why do u keep loving the thread up with your god damned opinions lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dreddout posted:

man I would love a Culture book as seen through the lens of NYCguidovoice

GSV Take The Cannoli

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

mister magpie posted:

LF was really good but CSPAM is the new political shitposting paradigm.

the realignment towards liberalism as the defacto ideology of shitposting illustrates the leadership team had it out for the anti-imperalist LF membership and wanted a much more establishment friendly shitposting environment

honestly if c-spam really is just liberal shitposting, it's kind of sad because that means in reality we're the neoliberal memes we pretend to mock

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Al! posted:

why do u keep loving the thread up with your god damned opinions lol

you're right. how could I possibly not be swayed by really good arguments such as Brazil Had a Corruption So It Won't Grow, or India Will Grow Unless It Does Racism, or Computers Will Think For Themselves

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

cargo cult posted:

goatstein was funny as poo poo

his king obama post was the best

King Hussein Obama I, flanked by his bodyguards, stepped out of his blinged Limoscalade and marched up the gold-lined marble steps of Washington Palace. It should have been a glorious day, yet under his heavy yet exquisite crown of carved human fetus-ivory his brow was ridged deeply as he silently brooded. Still, his posse, boomboxes on their shoulders, dance-walked up the steps, chains and gats jangling over the din as they grabbed their crotches.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

utopian futures say more about the present than the future

get this...

thats... My point...

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

his king obama post was the best

King Hussein Obama I, flanked by his bodyguards, stepped out of his blinged Limoscalade and marched up the gold-lined marble steps of Washington Palace. It should have been a glorious day, yet under his heavy yet exquisite crown of carved human fetus-ivory his brow was ridged deeply as he silently brooded. Still, his posse, boomboxes on their shoulders, dance-walked up the steps, chains and gats jangling over the din as they grabbed their crotches.

lf was too good for this sinful cyberspace

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
who is having sex witha ll our utopias

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

Dreddout posted:

lf was too good for this sinful cyberspace

maoism third worldism dies for our sins

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i mean i sit down at a park and watch a sunset and someone sticks their dick in ti

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
writhing, undulating vulva pressed against the glass at the aquarium

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
sit down to sketch a little bit, maybe write a poem and there's just sex everywhere, all over it, all inside the pages, and they're sticky

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i mean i try to rub bees on it, on the sex, but it doesnt do much

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
just makes it worse, if anything, from all the swelling and agitation

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
and what if they're allergic? i mean im upset but not enough to murder people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
here's the full thing in case someone hasn't seen it yet

quote:

As his trusted associates T-Von and Mook-Mook the Bushman pushed open the grand organic farm-grown cruelty-free redwood doors paid for by his 95% tax rate, he stepped into the antechamber of the gold-domed palace. Outside, ShariaVentalism reigned, but in here his word was law, and all his white teen sex slaves cowered before his glare more than even the hemp whips of their latte-drinking tweeded atheist masters.

He walked down the hallway toward his office and a prisoner in chains passed before him, lead by two turban-wearing Mexicans. He spotted the King and began shouting curses.

"You loving fascist! I knew it! I knew it! I told them, but they wouldn't listen, that your health care platform was a slippery slope to all this! You won't get away with this! The will of the Free Market will not be denied!"
"Seelenceo een the prezence of the Keeng, preesoner!"

King Obama spotted a chance to improve his ill mood.

"Bring him here. Good. Give me his file." The king looked over the prisoner's dossier. A long list of crimes against the state, and a repeat offender.
"You'll never get away with this! Never!"
"Hush now, Mr. Jack. We have ways of dealing with unruly sorts such as yourself."
"Praise be to Allah, seenyor."
"Peh! I spit at your torture! The Free Market gives me strength!"
"Oh, no, not anything as gauche as torture."

The King grabbed a syringe from the outstretched hand of one of his nearby breakdancing bodyguards, and plunged it into the man's helpless neck.

"Now you are immune to rubella."

Kyle's lingering, echoing screams of tormented horror brought a slight smile like a crack in Obama's stony brown face as he walked into his lavish velvet-lined office and shut the door behind him. He motioned for his bodyguards to leave the room, and he addressed the giant screens hanging over his desk.

"Screen one on. Connect to Emperor bin Laden of Eurabia. Screen two: Hugo Chavez of the U.S.S.A.R.. Screen three: The High Elder of Zion."

The three figures appeared live via satelite.

"Gentlemen," began Obama darkly, "it's time to have...a conversation."

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i miss a good moment in the woods with the sun's rays peeking through as i turn a corner to see a deer and also there isn't a winking butthole as much as anyone

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
but there's some lines you still dont cross anymroe i guess

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
maybe that line is a 2d cross section of the bubble

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
and then where are you?