Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
*~tiiiiiiiny bubblessssssssss
iiiiin the marketttttttt
maaaaake me happyyyyyyyy~*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Commerz posted:

The Chinese system is plagued by huge SOEs, misguided intervention, crashes due to one sided reporting on OBOR, ect but it is way more egalitarian than the US market. Both systems are prone to collapse. Americans have nothing to be arrogant about.

edit: please respond with post-autistic economics only, i dont wanna hear some dumb rant about regulation causing distortion on muh free market

the chinese system is v egalitarian as long as you have connections into the omnipresent government and are willing and able to pay constant bribes to connections of your connections which means you need connections and idle money to succeed and WHOOPS i guess that's the exact same as the american system only most of the chinese growth markers are fake as gently caress

also the american bribes are a lot smaller

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

commerz: the article you link explicitly mentions a bunch of american mutual funds etc as the holders of these stocks; did you not put it together that the owners of these mutual funds are, in general, otherwise ordinary people who are bought in through their IRAs and 401ks? the ultra-rich don't bother with mutual funds, they have their own poo poo going on with private hedge funds and other nonsense. also this isn't a CBC report with data, it's an essay that is half screed from a single economics professor at one university.

the only thing it's saying is that more people in China directly own the stocks they hold instead of utilizing professional money management. at best, that's a development problem in china because the firms that service the middle class don't exist/aren't good at their jobs yet. at worst it's because there's such a mammoth trust deficit in China due to the loving rampant corruption at all levels of the society that people refuse to give their money to dudes in suits.

i really don't care enough about this conversation to go searching for bullshit to support one view or the other, but if you look at statistics from corruption NGOs around the world i'm gonna guess you'll find the data supports the worst case far more than the best.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Commerz posted:

Yeah that's what i was referring to when I said pensions. The public do have too much trust in the stock market. There is a study from two chinese economists that found the governments announcement of the OBOR policy caused much of the bubble that led to the 2015 crash. People were too optimistic about the capabilities of their government. If we're just arguing about corruption now then yes I don't care either.

then the poo poo you linked actually has absolutely nothing to do with egalitarianism the way you claimed it did and you're just kind of walking around in circles on this? i don't even anymore

you know what, whatever man, if you think the chinese solution is so much better than go participate in it a little. i guarantee you will be writing traumatized stories that will put you right in stead with the cats posting in the chinese expat thread in gbs within 3 months.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Commerz posted:

I was arguing that 50 years out from now it is possible. BRICS countries are going to be a very large part of the economy, and are already forming extensive rival governance institutions.
this is exactly the argument we heard from every investment advisor in the west in 2005

since then:
- Brazil's GDP was shown to be 8% higher than it really should have been because it was all corrupt bribes and kickbacks
- Russia has paralyzed its economy with belligerent foreign policy that has led to sanctions by most of its trading partners, which in turn has led to mass misery and lowering QoL in the country, which in turn has stifled innovation that spurs greater growth (seriously, Russia is hosed and will be until there is a massive change at the top)
- India has done okay when its government institutions have actually done their jobs and not implicitly tried to re-introduce the caste system in rural areas, but this happens often and has demonstratively damaged economic growth
- China has drifted away from opening up access to private enterprise in favor of large-scale spending on largely obsolete technologies in an attempt to build businesses just by spending a lot of money on business things, which has worked exactly zero times in the great communist experiment.

basically none of the BRIC countries have lived up to their promise and you only made money on them if you got while the getting was good.

the big mistake people continuously make with forecasts like this is presuming that bad governments can't, in fact, be that bad. everyone knew Putin was a problem in 2005, but they always figured he couldn't be that bad, the free people of Russia would demand better lives. everyone knew corruption was a thing in Brazil, but nobody imagined it could be so huge as 8 cents of every dollar transacted in the country. perhaps the biggest thing that should horrify you is that in this world we live in, right now, amerikkka has one of the better governments out there. not the best and not 'good' by any stretch of the imagination, but people are actively failing to imagine how bad governments can be when the USA exists. think about that.

also, "50 years from now" is a worthless preface because one of the world's leading robotics CEOs is predicting the loving Singularity in 30. make up your own mind on whether or not you believe him, the point is if you start out with "50 years from now", you're actually saying "if the world were completely unrecognizable". yeah, sure, in 50 years we might all be getting around with warhammer 40k assault marine jump packs for all we know. the world is loving crazy out there. it doesn't make what you're saying novel, new, or profound.

Coolguye has issued a correction as of 20:13 on May 30, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Vermain posted:

like, the world will absolutely be unrecognizable in 50 years because mass automation will cause an enormous crisis in capitalist economies, but if you think we're hitting the singularity in 30 years i wanna see your drat calculations

the article goes on and fuckin on about superintelligence and the relative IQs of various chips, which at least jives a little bit. most of the problem doing things not retarded comes from software though and while i'm not exactly bleeding edge of machine learning i'm not aware of any great discoveries that would make that bullshit possible, nor am i clear on how making faster and more efficient will enable current theories to so much better we can stop computers from doing massive amounts of stupid poo poo.

the CEO, of course, neglects to explain any of this.

anime was right posted:

that guy bases it on 1 neuron = 1 transistor which... i'm not sure is accurate.

it's KIND OF accurate in that transistors allow a mechanical/electrical discharge and switching setup that SUPERFICIALLY resembles a neural structure, but we already know that neurons will work together and specialize in various ways that transistors don't implicitly do, so all of that is going to need to be way more deeply understood and baked into the hardware driver level, probably

basically the above

Coolguye has issued a correction as of 00:08 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the caste system was way more than racism, it was an entire societal setup that literally made it illegal to do anything beyond what you were told to do. common Indians could not even go home at the end of a day's work and ply another trade for extra money. there were laws on the books that make anyone doing that a criminal. this isn't any de facto stuff, it was literally an inked law that could put someone in shackles.

racism is real and harmful to over a billion people on this planet but reducing it directly to the caste system is super ignorant. it was so much bigger than that.

this is the sort of poo poo lawmakers in India attempt to put back into place on the reg.

yes, that lack of liberalization hurts their economy massively.

this isn't a prediction, this is historical record and widely accepted present fact.

there are no current signs nor hopes that the country will resolve these social problems any time soon. just like nobody sees an end to putinism (even if he dies tomorrow he has cronies everywhere that will continue his bullshit) or an end to the corruption in Brazil (even the president has been caught taking bribes on multiple occasions without consequence - nobody is interested in reform).

it's not my fault you choose to ignore all of these basic facts using the same hand wave bullshit that ecstatic nerds use to talk about the glorious utopia of mechanical overlords. maybe you should consider that the similarities in rhetoric imply a similarity in substance.

• Locked thread