Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Agean90 posted:

I found out that Germans at bizarrely obsessed with the American West and research every little thing about it and wind up with dangerously/hilariously incorrect info.

See this one German couple a co-worker took to Yellowstone who packed tazer in case of bears

If they had a real taser with probes, and not a basic shock device, it would probably work. The more muscular the target, the more effective the lockup. I've thought about using mine to haze bears before, but the margin for error is pretty thin if you gently caress it up and I'm usually working solo. Our taser instructor at refresher training this year said he's seen video from a hazing project that used them to great effect. Apparently it's so disorienting and bizarre to them they flee once the NMI ends, instead of getting up and owning the person who tased them.

The Germans are legit terrific visitors, at least in Alaska parks. Every time I see a Jack Wolfskin jacket I perk up a little bit. It's really endearing the way they say bears like beers, even though it's pronounced the same in both languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
About six days ago a brown bear took a poo poo off the edge of a cliff on the coast of Lake Clark National Park and it almost landed on me.

Welp that's my national park story of the day, please continue enjoying your public lands.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

is there a thread around for hiking advice? like what to pack, how much water to bring, etc?

i did an overnight last september by Leavenworth, crossed on the pacific crest trail for some of it, and it was gorgeous but also got below freezing overnight, even in a thick sleeping bag in my tent and wearing clothes and gloves and thick socks I was still shivering until I got out my emergency blanket too. and I had two water bottles plus a gallon in hand and I barely used the gallon despite hiking 15 miles up and down hills that second day. I wouldve stayed another night to have more time to enjoy the scenery but I didnt want to suffer the cold again so rushed back to my car.
i also saw a fresh bear print in the mud in one spot, but had no bear mace so I kept a brisk pace to gtfo of that area asap.

One trick is to boil water and fill your nalgene with it, bring it into the sleeping bag with you. Adds a little active heating to the system. If you are boiling water to purify it you can do this without expending any extra fuel if you time it right. You can also try a sleeping bag liner. I don't really like them because they make me feel a little claustrophobic, but they add around 10F as a general rule.

• Locked thread