Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

National Parks own, and Zion is a good #1 choice. Did you hike The Narrows at all? That one is in my Top 5 list, and we'll be back to do the whole thing from the top down on an overnight some day. I'm a little bummed out because we're not traveling to any awesome NP's this summer due to a baby on the way, but we did make it to the Grand Canyon back in April.

Since kicking off our NP trips in June 2012, we've been to:

Yosemite

Glacier

Bryce Canyon
Zion
Capital Reef
Mt. Rainier
Olympic
Mammoth Cave

Yosemite again
Volcanoes
Haleakala
Kaloko-Honokōhau
Shenandoah

Some of the historic sites around Boston that are part of NPS
Acadia (twice)
Crater Lake
Mt. St. Helens
Point Reyes

Montezuma Castle
Grand Canyon

Rocky Mountain, Great Sand Dunes [??]

national forests and wilderness areas are also extremely good and cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Concerned Citizen posted:

one of my shots from highline trail in glacier national park

yesssssssssssssssssssssssss favorite trail, probably favorite park

My wife and I both hyper-extended our knees on the way down the "loop" trail on the way down because we ran across a couple of bear cubs and were trying to keep up with the party ahead of us. Of course this was Day 1 and it made hiking the rest of the trip a little difficult until we found some hiking polls and ace bandages a couple of days later.

We also unintentionally recreated this Ansel Adams shot our first night at Lake MacDonald

e: this is the Adams shot, our composition isn't as good (duh) but apparently we had the same eye for a great spot to take a photo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

not nearly enough love itt for acadia

I don't have my Acadia photos available online, but both my wife and I felt like it was the best park we've been to for pure day hiking. So many trails all over the place.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Starved Rock is really cool for Illinois. I had a coworker who used to go ice climbing on La Salle falls in the winter. Whole bunch of eagles feast on the fish near the dam in the winter.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Larry Parrish posted:

If your out this way on a parks tour you oughta stop at the valley of fire near Lake Meade and also Crystal basin/loon lake/desolation wilderness near Tahoe

We did the hike from Echo Lakes to Aloha Lake back in 2012. That was a great trail.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We saw about a dozen condors up close as Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park in the Big Sur area a few years ago. They were in a tree right next to the McWay Cove overlook

McWay Cove (not my photo)

Condors (my photos)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/867364590547587072

:(

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lancemantis posted:

The trick is to go out of season, on weekdays, and/or not go to the 4 anyone actually remembers

Also hike out more than a couple miles and most people will disappear

Yeah that is the trick. My wife and I had the entire Panaroma Trail at Yosemite to ourselves a couple of years ago until we got back down to Nevada Falls because we got out on the trail early.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

went to the Midewin National Tallgrass Prarie yesterday

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Coolguye posted:

this was basically my reaction when i went hiking with my friend and dog in the Wichita Wildlife Reserve in Oklahoma last fall. we crested the top of a small ridge and rolled up on a wild longhorn bull no more than 10 yards away.

it was an amazing animal but even my dog (a ~50 lb australian shepherd mutt) seemed to inherently get that this was very much not a situation we wanted to be in and he stuck by me as we veerrrryyyy sloowwwllyyy backed away and left that big mf the hell alone. great hike though.

The ones we saw were behind 8' fencing, because apparently 1500 lb buffalo can leap over 6' fences :stare:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Crazyweasel posted:

Went on a 2 week national park trip in May...Zion, arches, Grand canyon, Bryce. Before that my friends and I camped cross country after college and hit a lot.

I like starting low and getting high so Zion was extremely my poo poo. Way too busy to go to Angels Landing. Yosemite edges it out a bit due to being bigger and having a much more active community.

Both out west NP trips I've been on ended with Grand Canyon so I'm always beat to poo poo and too tired to hike in. It's a pretty view but doesn't quite hit me like Yosemite, Zion, and Redwood did.

Also for any folks thinking of visiting these places in a big trip, heed advice and plan wisely with on weather. I hit Glacier too soon and they still had ~15 ft of snow, Mt Rushmore was buried in clouds, etc.

We got to the narrow part/the base of where the real scramble on Angel's Landing starts and decided against it because it was so drat busy and neither of us are super comfortable with exposed heights. We did Observation Point the next morning instead, 5/5 would recommend, start early so you get really cool shadows in the slot canyons and so it's not 100 degrees full exposure hiking straight up canyon walls.

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

entire hiking suforum here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=272

• Locked thread