Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Problem description:
Sometimes after waking my computer from sleep weird network shenanigans happen. I don't really know how to describe it technically, but here's what I notice:
  • Web pages take a very long time to load ("waiting for response...") and, once loaded, media (images, etc) takes longer still in web browsers and Windows 10 apps.
  • Rarely, things don't load at all and I don't even get responses from ping commands. I assume pings are supposed to time out after a short amount of time, but that doesn't seem to happen either. Despite this, Windows does not report any problem with wifi connectivity.
  • Chrome really loving hates it when any of this happens and will straight-up freeze completely and do it so hard that no amount of ending the process can revive it (it doesn't open again if I try). If I want to use Chrome again I have to restart the computer.

I have no idea how to reliably reproduce it, but it happens very frequently and restarting the computer brings things back to normal. One thing I haven't tried yet is testing it over a wired connection, but the random nature of this would make it a crapshoot anyway. If that'll help diagnose a problem I'll get a cable and keep the laptop tethered to the router for a while for normal use because this is driving me loving nuts.

I also haven't tried pinging/accessing router when the rare "nothing loads" cases happen because I keep forgetting to. However, all other wi-fi devices on the network continue working as normal when this happens.

Attempted fixes:
Fiddled with the power/sleep options, updated drivers, wiped and reinstalled Chrome. I'm not really sure what I can do to try and tackle it, to be honest.

Recent changes:
None, really. This is a relatively new problem (started a couple months ago) but I don't recall making major changes to the system at any point unless a Windows update is to blame.

--

Operating system:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1703 build 15063.296

System specs:
ThinkPad T540p
- Intel i5-4200M
- 8GB RAM
- Intel Dual band Wireless-AC 7260 (driver version 18.33.6.2, 2017-02-19)
- Samsung 850 EVO SSD

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

EDIT:
Alright the load nothing problem happened again. This time Windows actually reported a problem ("Connected, no internet access"). Trying to access the router via browser just timed-out. Trying to ping it shat out this:
code:
C:\Users\Mak0rz>ping 192.168.x.xxx

Pinging 192.168.x.xxx with 32 bytes of data:
No resources.
No resources.
No resources.
No resources.

Ping statistics for 192.168.x.xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
As usual, things returned to normal after restarting :iiam:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try doing this:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-network-reset

Uninstall any antivirus software if you're running it too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zogo posted:

Try doing this:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-network-reset

Uninstall any antivirus software if you're running it too.

Thanks. I'm not running anything besides Windows Defender so we're good there.

I just gave the network reset a try so I'm crossing my fingers that it works. Didn't seem to kill my drivers though as they are still up to date.

Edit: Holy moly all of these WAN devices weren't here before (it was just the two Intel ones). What the heck happened?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 23, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looks like it didn't work afterall. Happened again the first time it woke after the reset :shrug:

• Locked thread