Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Ariana Grande concert of peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

staberind posted:

One of the nice things about living next to a mosque is the slight reduction in chances of getting blown to eleventy billion smithereens.

naw they blow up mosques all the time too. it's usually muslims themselves getting poo poo on\exploded by muslims which is too much to compute for most people on the left

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
good a time as any: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLOHhzLlaJo

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
talking about who actually did this is playing into their hands! stop generalizing! broad brush etc!!

stop saying 40% of muslims believe X, that is generalizing even though it is literally the opposite of generalizing!

it's funny i think "sit back and get exploded" is playing right into their hands too!

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
jesus christ there is no motherfucking backlash you idiots. half of the stories are literally made up, and even if you pretend 100% are genuine, it's absolutely miniscule. this is the dumbest analysis ever.

"if we weren't so mean to them they wouldn't be so mean to us" is weak white guilt bullshit

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

SBJ posted:

Maybe not bomb them but at the moment it seems like there is reluctance governments and media to criticize islam in particular. It should be relentlessly ridiculed and humiliated into submission like christianity.

correct answer

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
it's like have some respect for the people who want to murder you; they can have motivations completely removed from anything *you* have done, you spineless and yet somehow incredibly pompous slug person

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Why Islam in general instead of Sunni Islam? When was the last time a Shia set off a bomb in Europe?

Iran is shia you loving oval office

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

You’re going to have a hard time ginning up that they’re a grave existential threat to Europe when the Saudis are actively funding ISIS.

Yes Sunni has much more influence. Iran is still a place that exists. You were saying we shouldn't criticize it or something?

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
The thing about them MOSLEMS is that if you write even ONE racial slur on a mosque they will go running directly into their cartoon terrorism training camp headquarters

orientalism is bad btw.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Psycho Society posted:

The backlash I was talking about was Shia Muslims against Sunnis.

Oh well THATS better!

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I’m saying you’re wasting your breath trying to pin the blame Iranians and Lebanese for these attacks. The only hope to come out of it is some other dumbfuck military adventure that can only end with the Saudis spreading influence of their backwards poo poo religion further into the region.

Oh cause I thought you were saying "Why criticize anything other than Sunni islam specifically?" and immediately my brain goes "because there are millions of people immiserated by shia islam also"

But I agree we shouldn't blame iran or lebanon for this particular attack.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Fushigi Yuugi fansub posted:

actually devout muslims have more in common with republicans than democrats, sorry

what??! NO!

muslims are my favorite pet demographic to virtue signal about, so I really need them to all be one homogeneous monolith that's like me if you don't mind

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
here's every conversation about this topic for the next 2 weeks:

sane people: "80% of men report liking red shirts. how can we change this?"

far right: "80% more like 100% amirite?!"

far left: "did you know that 20% of men DON'T like red shirts you loving biggot??"

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
A big problem is that if you're a potential Muslim ally in combating Islamism, you kinda have to keep it to yourself lest you get beheaded by your neighbor. Just look at what keeps happening in places like bangladesh (often cited as "moderate"). Even posting anonymously, secular reform Muslims are getting literally hunted down and hacked to death with machetes.

There are a few public Muslim reformers who, if liberals had any god drat sense, would be supporting. People like Maajid Nawaz, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Faisal Al Mutar, Sarah Haider, Ali Rizvi, and Maryam Namazie. Pretty much all of whom have insane security concerns everywhere they go.

But nawww, all it takes is one meek muslim woman in a hijab saying "this is empowering!" and liberals line up to support conservative religious slut shaming. Orientalist as gently caress, and it comes exclusively from "progressives".

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

signalnoise posted:

On the other hand, terrorists make up a ridiculously small percentage of islamic people but christianity has the crusades and also they cover up kiddie diddling carried out by the clergy. Christianity is responsible for discrimination in the US every day and it goes into law by punishing people for abortions, being gay, or really anything that some legislator thinks is icky. Christianity is responsible for tons of violence and death and if you don't recognize that you're dumb as hell. You're making the argument that "islam preaches X and obviously muslims all agree with killing" but "christianity, eh, look man it's all muddled up and most christians don't really follow everything in the book" which makes you a huge dipshit with double standards

bahahah this is so insanely hilariously distorted and wrong.

"problem A? well, problem B, also, so.... you're a racist."

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
islam and christianity: pretty much the same! :downs:

there are 12 islamic countries that execute homosexuals for existing, just like christianity oops i mean buhhwuhhhh??

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
why do you want to talk about the 80% of men who like red shirts?? 20% of men DON'T like red shirts, so, I mean, what's to talk about it??? stop being racist.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

My middle eastern religion is better than your middle eastern religion

naw they are all dogshit, at this moment in history one of them is doing way way way more than it's fair share of murdering and raping though

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Rates of criminality are insanely higher for black americans than any other demographic too, so they will be represented in every conceivable crime statistic, per capita, more than any other race. Both sides use this to justify their own baseless fear mongering, sadly.

I personally just hold all people responsible for their own actions regardless of their race or socioeconomic standing.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's probably the shape of their skulls.

Hmm no I don't think so. It probably *is* caused in large part by a social glamorization of criminality though. You know how white people have aspects of their culture that aren't really very cool or good, and should be criticized and hopefully improved upon? Well, black people are people too!

I want fewer black kids dying at the hands of other black kids, because I am racist, basically.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
the young turks coverage of this atrocity is truly groundbreaking. cenk is here to let us know that it's not all, in case you were thinking it *is* all. It's not.

not all.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
hey now, cenk realized the error of his ways and changed his official stance on the armenian genocide from outright denial, to one of non-confirmation.

i mean who knows what really happened, I am NO historian! :shrug:

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
well see hate speech is a form of violence and

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

FactsAreUseless posted:

It is, it's just not a form of violence that you can create good laws against. This is why the standard for things like threats or incitement are way higher than just hate speech.

Well yeah actual incitement, maybe, could be reasonably construed as a "form" of violence. Some nutjob standing around saying how much they hate the jews or the blacks or the mexicans or whatever isn't violence, but it's being spun that way to justify really dumb acts of pre-emptive *actual* violence. It's like this big dumb explosion of irony and self delusion.

People know you can only justify violence in self defense, so if you really want to punch somebody just claim they are guilty of some nebulous form of "violence" that no two people can ever quite articulate in the same way, and you're good to go.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Actual terrorist attacks are kind of just part of the problem though. I mean, people get exploded at ariana grande concerts for the same reason women in the middle east have to wear black trash bags everywhere. There are fundamental problems with mainstream islamic ideology that need to be intellectually terminated. Westerners can help by at least trying to support actual reforming muslims, who admittedly are not very visible due to the whole "constant threat of being decapitated" thing, instead of opportunistic theocrats like linda sarsour who exploit our good nature and dupe useful idiots into embracing the hijab out of "solidarity with women" (loving lol). Liberals have completely failed on this topic, which is now a feebly unhot take but is truer than ever.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

FactsAreUseless posted:

but you can't act like American conservatism is somehow more supportive of Islamic reformers. Instead, it's increasingly moving in a direction where the rhetoric matches ISIS' "clash of civilizations" ideas. This isn't even Bush, who had plenty of issues with Middle East policy, who at least differentiated between radical and moderate Islam. Current conservatism is built on xenophobia, sometimes isolationism (seems to vary among conservatives, it's not universal), racial tensions, and anti-immigrant sentiment. You can't pretend those aren't there when they're part of mainstream American conservative rhetoric. I know you hear it. And American liberals don't blindly support Islam - we're perfectly aware of the many problems in Islamic countries - but many have adopted more pro-Islamic rhetoric as a response to anti-Islamic ideas on the right.

I know my av confuses things sometimes but I *am* a liberal just fyi. And it's not that I think american conservatism is more supportive in a genuine sense, but they do kind of end up being the supportive party from the perspective of muslim reformers. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is relegated to fox news for some mind boggling reason. Liberals have seemingly left her out in the cold, meanwhile bernie is tweeting about "standing with linda", who has publically smeared virtually every reform muslim with any influence in western media, while singing the praises of sharia law no less. Both sides are confused on Islam and the reason I'm hard on the left is because they're the ones actively supporting the worst elements of it (usually, probably always, unwittingly). The left has no balls to speak honestly about it, so it creates a vacuum for genuine anti-muslim biggots like pam gellar to swoop in and kick the fear mongering into full gear.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Agag posted:

%100 of those atheist vs. non-atheist debates are trash.

No not really. I mean the arguments from the religious side are always trash, but you are very dumb if you think you can listen to christopher hitchens talk for 2 hours and not get something out of it. And that's coming from somebody who used to absolutely loathe that guy.

and fuckkkkkkk omer aziz

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Agag posted:

Because she's a proven fraud who only exists to tell white people that Islam needs to be destroyed.

You called her a "theocrat" before. I don't know enough about her to say you're wrong so hit me with the money quotes.

Lol "proven fraud". You sure know a lot about her, and no doubt research her in good faith.

And linda sarsour literally advocates for sharia law in western society. I dont really feel like splitting hairs about what "theocrat" means to you. She wants her dumb religion to control other people.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Just fuckin lol if you can't parse who the actual feminist is between ayaan hirsi ali and linda loving sarsour. Perfect crystalization of the problem right there.

wtf 3 posts in a row thread is slowing down, too much effortposting

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
"I heard that ayaan said that that brevik guy was COOL AND GOOD. Why do you support a NAZI?" -dumb guy

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
btw here is ayaan being interviewed by d&d: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08EYqwyns-k

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

so she is either insanely ignorant of her own religion or is a huge obscurantist? possibly both?

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Bholder posted:

Alternative viewpoints like "every muslim is evil and they should leave"?
Why won't they tolerate your intolerance :pedophiles:

i mean poo poo man thank god muslims have you to defend them from the mean words of people who "have a problem being murdered with bombs"

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
did you guys know it's *not all* muslims who are murdering, religious lunatics? I'll bet that you thought it WAS all just because they are reliably exploding children with nail bombs

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

What would an Australian version of ISIS look like?

allahu ackbahhhhh there love!! blimey, it's a roo!!

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

theperminator posted:

If you destroyed any country and then left without cleaning up some horrible jerk is going to fill the power void, race and religion has nothing to do with it you naive moron

sweet theory that you won't investigate beyond that one sentence because it would fall apart instantly lol

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
it is definitely not the racism of low expectation to assume that young arab men, when oppressed, can't help but blow something up

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
all religions are the same because they are all called "religions" much like "sports" are all called "sports" so i mean yeah tennis and bowling are pretty much the same you know

and yeah ariana grande is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
so, the decision to invade iraq and remove saddam hussein was morally correct who agrees?!

• Locked thread