Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
if anyone wants a good but depressing read on the outlook for integration I recommend Douglas Murray's 'The Strange Death of Europe'. He's a really good writer and put a lot of effort into putting together a coherent narrative behind the shifts that have been happening in Europe since the post-ww2 rebuilding period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

So what's the "best" reaction? They stop immigration and try to enforce some kind of integration policy?

yeah it seems counter to their long-term interests but I guess if you want to maintain a fever pitch of religiousity necessary to ensure your religious values survive and are aggressively pursued and that you maintain your position you're going to get these kinds of things. when you're not relying on rationality don't expect people you influence to act rationally.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bareback Werewolf posted:

I don't think Islam is worse than any other religion. Sorry that upsets you. I realize radical Islam is a problem, but nobody really has a solution and I guarantee you they won't find one.

yeah there are stories about jesus raping a 17 year old whose parents he just killed and also i remember the bit where he married a primary school aged girl and also where he had a harem of sex slaves.

islam is not the loving same as other religions and it's ridiculous equivocation to pretend it is. sure, the old testament is arguably on a par, but as far as christians go the new covenant allows a lot of that to be turfed out, and as far as jews go the text doesn't command forceful conversion and holy war, nor the application of holy laws to gentiles. 'all religion is about people exerting power and all religions are the same' is weaselly equivocation to avoid the discomfort of having to condemn a particular group.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fartbox posted:

Do you think people read a book, go nuts, and then go blow themselves up in a concert?

OR

do you think these people have been broken down by years of hardcore superwar in their country, a war that local propaganda constantly blames the west on?

Which one of these factors do you think contributes most to suicide bombers doing their thing?

these choices aren't exclusive and their lovely regressive religion is important. ideas have power.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

signalnoise posted:

On the other hand, terrorists make up a ridiculously small percentage of islamic people but christianity has the crusades and also they cover up kiddie diddling carried out by the clergy. Christianity is responsible for discrimination in the US every day and it goes into law by punishing people for abortions, being gay, or really anything that some legislator thinks is icky. Christianity is responsible for tons of violence and death and if you don't recognize that you're dumb as hell. You're making the argument that "islam preaches X and obviously muslims all agree with killing" but "christianity, eh, look man it's all muddled up and most christians don't really follow everything in the book" which makes you a huge dipshit with double standards

you're a troll right? THE CRUSADES? THE THINGS THAT ENDED CENTURIES AGO? AND IT'S STILL PUNISHABLE TO BE GAY IN AMERICA? and where in the bible does it say it's okay to gently caress kids?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's your solution? Genuine question.

as far as domestic policy goes - some obvious things like severing connections with saudi, slowing immigration to an utter trickle and barring entry by radical preachers, but i think something that's more difficult to design but equally important is to stop dissembling and equivocating about how integration is meant to occur. western countries are ruled by men, not god, and in our countries it is the law of the state that prevails.

in the uk and other european nations the problem is very difficult because of the state they've let things get to, with autonomous countries within countries, and i do not know what could be done to break down the enclaves that have formed that wouldn't be seen as aggressively interventionist.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Nice fascism you got there

mm it is fascist to think our laws are more important than religious laws good understanding of terminology there.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

VikingSkull posted:

it's not, it used to be humorous but ever since election they have been getting more hysterical about nearly everything and the mods enable them

the fact that it took avshalom that long to be perma'd should tell any normal person what's up with that shithole

the hysteria isn't just d&d. in the games forum i saw the computer rpg Tyranny's lacklustre sales blamed on the government of the us being ethno-fascist (because it's too similar to the game where you play as an official for an evil government you see) and in the comic book forum i saw someone talking having their perceptions of an ongoing comic about the equivalent of an a-bomb being dropped on several us cities at the end of ww2 changing from being horrified to reading it as light escapism because it's now anodine compared to what's happening in the real world under trump.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

gently caress your laws

i encourage you to break a few and show your contempt for the state as publicly as possible.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

That's a good little capitalist boy. Everything is a fad and everything is a brand :allears:

i want to know more about you

what do you do?

what is your ethnic and cultural background?

what are your relations with your family like?

i want to piece together the tapestry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Same but I see traces of a bland suburb in a bland city in a bland state. Possibly never lived in another county or had contact with any cultures except the artificial consumerist orgy people call "lawful society"

I may be wrong tho lmao

Tell us about your eye opening spiritual and mental journeys through those wise (non white) cultures which are so much more meaningful and sagacious than anything we could imagine

• Locked thread