Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is the biggest fail club
This poll is closed.
arsenal 9223372036854775807 100.00%
not arsenal 1 0.00%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

blue footed boobie posted:

Wengy's contract extension will be announced in Wednesday, following a board meeting on Tuesday, apparently.

Been saying it for months at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

This is certainly £3m for a kid.

We've cooled on Sessegnon and there's increasing noises that Keita doesn't want to go/Leipzeig aren't willing to sell. With lots of interest on VVD and Brandt staying, that's all four of our "top targets" we may miss out on. Which is worrying.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know how good Keita is and I'm guessing 99% of the Liverpool supporters desperate for him have never seen him play.

What I would like is a top quality striker as I think Sturridge should be sold while he's still worth something and a left back. Basically we need some new ideas for how to break down teams that aren't interested in attacking. Firmino is great but he's not a player that gets in behind and he's not overly quick. I think we'd be better playing an out and out forward against sides like that. Moreno should be sold as he's still probably worth someone taking a gamble on him for a decent amount of cash (we got loving three million pound for Brad Smith after all) and Milner, who has done a fantastic job there, isn't getting any younger. He's also pretty average against sides that sit deep as it's too easy to defend against a right footed left back.

Henderson, Lallana and Wijnuldum is an excellent midfield three and I'm happy for that to remain next season provided they're fit. Can was brilliant the last month or two of the season too so we look pretty strong there. The issue is Henderson's fitness. If there is truth that his heel is always going to cause him on and off problems then we need to buy another central midfielder.

People want us to sign another centre back but I think Lovren and Matip were actually very good when they played together. It's when one was injured that we struggled. I certainly don't see the purpose of spending fifty plus million on VvD when we have far more pressing matters.

Just saying there's absolutely nothing in this that signing a kid for £3m will prevent. He's mostly going to sit in the u23s and maybe play some cups (because we're missing anyone in the age range between Wilson and Origi who can step up).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Quite happy with Salah. Yes him and Mane will go to the AFCON at the same time but we have two years and three transfer windows to fix that. He can probably slot in on either wing, or Mane can swap, it just opens up more options for us to change the team.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Hoops posted:

It's unusual to see the annual "we need a striker, a winger, a centre mid, and a leftback, and then we should be fine" post from someone other than an Arsenal fan.

I'm pretty sure all of the top six need players in these four positions.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Yeah lot of talk on twitter today saying the deal is done (as is Salah). Might get some more information this evening when the papers go to print.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

PirateBob posted:

Would be interesting if Liverpoo start paying £60m transfer fees and £200k pw wages... Where will this madness end

Hmm I wonder if any other teams might have had an impact on the rise in transfer fees and wages...

£50-60m nowadays is going to be the new normal for top level players, regardless of position. It's all silly money anyway.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

It was a real poo poo day for Liverpoo

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

The reports last night were saying that the Premier League were looking at the claims but haven't launched an investigation, Liverpool claim to have asked for permission back in March etc. There's no way they'll give us a transfer ban, if they do it'll be the next window anyway.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

We are a disgrace and an embarrassment. For fucks sake.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

tarbrush posted:

Apparently the Salah deal is agreed with him and Roma, and he's due for a medical Tuesday.

Feels like he's a good fit, and he wouldn't be the first ex Chels player to crack on once they've left.

He's precisely what we need. Someone who isn't Mane who has some pace down the wings.

We're going to be losing the both of them for the AFCON year after next but hopefully we can resolve that in the three windows between.

Reports today we're interested in Aubameyang lmao

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Big fan of signing players and not getting caught tapping them up

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

The Ox has rejected a final contract offer at Arsenal, and is apparently willing to run his contract down and leave for free next year.

I'd take him for £25m. He won't start every game but with domestic and European fixtures he could easily get 30 games, and can fill in a number of positions.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

vyelkin posted:

That's a hell of an Englishman tax for a player in the final year of his contract with injury problems who has never actually looked like a top top top player.

He's 23 so plenty of time for him to develop still, and Klopp has a proven track record of turning average players into great players. Injury concerns are a bit meh but Arsenal have a long history of loving up players so a change of backroom staff might fix them.

£25m for a 23 year old versatile English international with Champions League experience seems about right in today's market.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ninpo posted:

At 23 he should be approaching his peak as an attacking player, not still be raw with work to do.

This is becoming the norm (with players being written off before they're 25) but I don't think it's necessarily true. There's plenty of players who have only kicked on after 25.

tarbrush posted:

I like the Ox but I wouldn't pay more than £10m for him

£10m in today's market will barely get you a Championship-level player. Also:

Xabi posted:

A reminder that we sold Jordon Ibe for £15m last year.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Weaponized Cum posted:

So Harry Kane is worth like 110m?

I was talking to people today who suggested that either United or Chelsea (not sure which is funnier) should consider going for Harry Kane instead of Lukaku.

Because, you know, Spurs are so desperate to sell their best player, and Harry Kane wants to leave his boyhood club for their rivals or a team they've finished above for the last two years.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Heskey was an unsung hero :colbert:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Lucas to Lazio is done:

https://twitter.com/OfficialSSLazio/status/886688385036845057

Goodbye sweet prince :(

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Anae posted:

I would very much like it to be OFF.

If you get Salah and Keita while our 'statement' summer consists of Rooney and £45m for Sigurdsson I'll just die

Everton are making some good signings but (barring a collapse ala Chelsea, United, Liverpool) I just can't see them bridging the gap to the top six. Lots of decent EL players coming in but no real "intent" signing.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Brony Car posted:

Is the Robertson transfer off?

Robertson should be done tomorrow.

Diva Cupcake posted:

That would take an assload of money and I'm not sure FSG are ready to drop upwards of 200m in a window. Be thrilled with either Keita or VVD.

Before the summer the talk was that we had £200m to spend before sales. Salah was £30m and Robertson is going to cost £10, so we theoretically have £160m to spend. One of the two would be fine, VVD is probably more important, but it's not like we are desperate to fill someone in either position like we were with Salah.

Lucas going has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works, we're know missing a fourth/fifth choice CB or a third/fourth choice DM. I think we should be looking to bring someone in if we can't get either but I have no idea who that might be.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

The Keita stuff is a bit odd. Firing up the scouse conspiracy machine, it sounds like we were under the impression that Red Bull would accept the latest bid and Keita wanted to join (that last bit was apparently all legit and not at all tapping up like VvD), then they turned around and rejected it. So either:

a) we were being fobbed off so Red Bull can save face and stand up to the "big boys"

b) Red Bull are holding out for even more money

c) it's all bollocks and Red Bull are evil masterminds (this is the most likely option)

I'm not convinced it's all completely done and dusted yet. Keita would be a good purchase but it's not a position we're desperate for so if it all comes to nought I wouldn't be too disappointed. CB is more important though.

Robertson is almost done, supposed to be announced tonight.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

MrBling posted:

Red Bull has literally all the money, they don't need to sell. The club just finished 2nd in the Bundesliga and are going to play CL football so why would the player want to leave?

There are lots of reasons a player might want to leave. Like it or not Liverpool are a more prestigious club then RB, perhaps he wants to advance his own career that way?

Brony Car posted:

Another possibility is that a player or a player's agent will tell Liverpool they want a move, but they don't want a move bad enough to put in a transfer request.

Entirely possible.

blue footed boobie posted:

Red Bull have been saying all along that they would never sell him and it's been obvious that it' was never going to happen. It's top fan fiction.

There has allegedly been a bit split in the board, with half wanting to sell and half not. Again, the suggestion (from the German side) was that we were told that a sale was possible:

https://twitter.com/honigstein/status/886944541542109184

It's not fan fiction. There's clearly been some discussions behind the scenes and we would not have been after him for so long if RB absolutely would not sell under any circumstances.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Aston Villa's defence: John Terry, Chris Samba, Micah Richards, Alan Hutton and Aly Cissokho.

What a side lmao

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

sassassin posted:

Is Neil Taylor still there?

Yes he is.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

cheese posted:

This is the second transfer this summer that we have very publicly offered huge money for and been very publicly rejected. At this point, any further transfers that are actually completed are no doubt going to make 35m for Mane look like the steal of the century (I have no idea how Hull are not making us pay 25m for Robertson, but then again Hull). Are we only capable of pursuing one target at a time?

The Van Dijk deal was a massive gently caress up that has been a long time coming. Our journos have had far too much information for about a decade - since before the whole Jen Chang thing. As a club we clearly became too confident in getting deals done and fed things to the press who reported it (as they will do) without actually having deals settled. Since that came out though, all of the journos have been saying that the club has basically shut up shop. Almost all of the news about Keita has been coming from Germany, his agent, or Ghanaian journalists. Leipzig are the ones revealing that we've been bidding. The Robertson stuff is similar, it was very very quiet on the Liverpool front until the last couple of days when a deal was agreed.

And, you know, we're signing Robertson at the same time as pursuing Keita, so yes we can look at more than one target. It's not "Keita or nothing", it's "We want Keita but if we can't get him that's cool I guess". Like I said CB is more worrying because we absolutely need an upgrade there, but I guess Klopp wants to make sure that is definitely over before moving on.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Soylent Green posted:

Medel played in the premier league for Cardiff but I don't remember ever seeing him at centre half for them.

Didn't he play at CB in the 6-3 game?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Robertson's fine because it means I get to see less of Moreno woo.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Have we talked about future Liverpool legend van Dijk is training alone after telling Southampton he wants to move to glorious Merseyside?

PirateBob posted:

Don't post a link or anything. :D

https://tomkinstimes.com/

There's a free article once a week but usually it's a subscription.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Honestly if Barca came in and gave us £100m+ (and I don't think we would even think of selling below that figure) then fine because we can probably replace him (both within the squad and through transfers) for that amount. He's not as important as Suarez was.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

vyelkin posted:

Also to the person who said Liverpool wouldn't need to replace him because a midfield of Can/Henderson/Lallana would be just fine, lol just lol, Coutinho probably won us like 15 points singlehandedly last season by being the only player on the team who could make something out of nothing

Little bit mental but I genuinely don't think Coutinho going would be as big a loss as Suarez was.

And our midfield is Hendo/Wij/Lallana.

It's all irrelevant because he's going nowhere.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hendo is forever broken though. Coutinho isn't getting sold either; Barca is just trolling them for trying to buy players that aren't for sale.

Hendo's apparently fit but yeah who knows how long that lasts.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

We didn't break our transfer record on Salah to put him on the bench, our front three will be him, Firmino, and Mane. Coutinho will be going back to midfield.

I meant without Coutinho obviously.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I like Can and would like to keep him

edit: because one of you mentalists will probably pull up a post where I called him a useless twat: he can be braindead at times but he's a decent footballer (and a good looking dude) and I don't think we can get someone better than him who can fill the same squad position

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

oliwan posted:

liverpool being happy with the likes of Can is why they will never be a big club.

Can is no worse than someone like Fellaini or Elneny. A decent squad player who fills in when necessary.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Pep has had to completely rebuild the City defence to be fair. It was falling apart, full of ageing players and permacrocks. I'm not saying he necessarily had to go out and spend £50m of Kyle Walker but there was certainly a need to splash out.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My Saints supporting mate reckons VvD to Liverpool is a done deal. My source is on par with the Metro to be fair.

A couple of Saints twitterers are saying the same. The attitude has definitely switched (in the media and the fans).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

RideTheSpiral posted:

lol at all the sour grape nerds who don't think psg will make £200m of neymar shirt sales in 5 mins. good cheeky bit of business imho

quote:

No club has ever directly recouped a player’s transfer fee through shirt sales. Adidas, Nike, Puma and other kit suppliers get 85-90% of shirt sale revenue and this is the industry standard.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

Shrapnig posted:

Mbappe just went off injured.

Injured or "injured"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Blinkz0rz posted:

That's a goddamn absurd reason not to improve the squad when all the other contenders are dropping obscene sums of money.

It's okay we're not buying anyone else because Milner is our new midfielder and Moreno is our new left back

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

http://www.espn.com.mx/futbol/espana/nota/_/id/3441903/barcelona-amarra-al-brasileno-coutinho

Some guy from ESPN reckons Barca have agreed a move for Coutinho and he;s handed in a transfer

Don't believe it but there you go

Except...

https://twitter.com/marcelobechler/status/894260220528087040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

CyberPingu posted:

Your gimmick is really confusing.

What's the policy on gimmick posting in TRP?

Is being a bad poster a gimmick because uhh I may need to change some things

Klopp's said he's totally fine with having three permacrocks and Klavan as his center backs going into a season with (hopefully) CL football. This is all absolutely fine.

• Locked thread