Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is the biggest fail club
This poll is closed.
arsenal 9223372036854775807 100.00%
not arsenal 1 0.00%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i've only sort of been following this van dijk thing but holy poo poo are they really about to break the David Luiz barrier for this guy? w...why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
perhaps I'm being nostalgic but it seems like the silly season used to make a lot more sense.

also kinda funny Bonucci went for so much less than big virgil

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does this mean that Barca is going to drop 150m on Cooter, and then liverpool will turn around and spend most of that on whoever is the modern equivalent of andy carroll? is that josh king?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

kcer posted:

Real Madrid aren't backed by an almost infinitely rich state that can and does provide bullshit sponsorship deals to PSG to try to circumvent FFP and whatever other bollocks they're doing with Neymar to get the deal through

it's entirely reasonable for every club in the world to be a bit pissed off

the only difference between RM and oil sheik teams is the oil

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can someone explain international transfer law here?

Spain requires a buyout clause in every contract. this apparently is different from a release clause that is relatively common in that instead of being a transfer offer, it is paid by the player in exchange for release from his contract?

so, is this neymar thing a buyout clause or a release clause? and if it is a buyout, assume he's being given the money by PSG, does that not count as taxable income, and thus double (or something) the amount he needs?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Actually the contract is signed in Qatar so it'll be tax free.

I think this is probably what I was wondering about.

"we bought this pencil from neymar for 300 million, what of it"

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hegay posted:

Tebas masterplan is to stall this so Barcelona can't get any new players before it's too late

This appears to be the latest theory, one that I like.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
When's the last time a player of Sachez caliber and age even came up on a bosman? I dunno if Lewandowski counts, he was always going to BM. Ballack?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
on the one hand I feel like liverpool would be really stupid to not take 120m for cooter, but on the other hand I honestly do not know who they would spend 120m on. like, seriously, who are some targets? that pizzi guy from benfica? that one center back from athletico? like half the starters from porto?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so does that mean cooter, who was not even the beset player on LFC last year, is now the second most expensive footballer of all time?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

wicka posted:

Arsenal are supposedly interested in Luan, anyone familiar with him?

he was brilliant for me on FM a couple of years ago so he's probably a very good player

edit - is LFC still in on William Carvalho? I like that guy a lot

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure all of the sport's governing bodies are directly incentivized to not say or do anything about what clubs like PSG are doing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'll reiterate that I feel like LFC should be looking hard in Portugal but instead we'll wind up spending 80m on danny drinkwater or something.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
does ronaldinho count?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
PSG will dominate championship-level competition every week in L1, then deploy 8 attacking players and a couple of mediocre center backs in a CL match and lose to shakhtar or something

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
according to sources, PSG is seeking to buy manchester united outright, to serve as a feeder club and social media affiliate

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
goddamn rakitic would be an absolutely massive signing for LFC. I feel like he's a better player than Cooter, am I off in thinking that?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Modern slavery IMO. Let the man follow his dream.

i assume this post is ironical, but i swear i see this "slavery" said all the time all over the internet with regard to teams holding players to their contracts, what is with that?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
if you want to be free to move between clubs at your leisure then only sign one year contracts

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Here's a question for you lads. Why are football contracts so iron clad like?

Why can't someone like Costa, who's clearly unhappy at his current place of work, hand in his notice, so to speak and leave? You can do that in most other places of work. In football though, if you're unhappy at a club you have to hope you get sold or tough poo poo

sporting contracts generally stipulate you can't play for another pro club while the contract is in force.

the way they're constructed like that is to give both sides a degree of predictability. when you sign a long term deal, both sides are conceding some economic freedoms in exchange for financial certainty. counterpoint to a team unwilling to sell a player who wants to leave: if a player falls off hard or gets hurt, his team still has to pay him.

that being said if you want to be shocked and horrified take a look at labor relations and contract policy in the NFL.

how good is draxler these days? I remember him doing well in the UCL last year but haven't seen much of him otherwise

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

So its kinda like how players get drafted in american sports now?

or traded, yeah.

congratulations you now play for the edmonton oilers, I hope you like heartbreak and 9 months of winter

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
rakitic pls

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

no...no, he's finished

also what's the current record for number of undersized technically brilliant attack-only players in a starting 11?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
tell me more about the "total football" approach, maybe PSG could try some strange positionless approach where neymar rotates with cavani at center back

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
surely that isn't the same aquilani that was once tapped to replace xabi alonso

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
remember when Arsenal had viera and Henry in their primes

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
bet they just paid his release clause plus a few mil extra for the privilege to get it done now. that's...actually kinda smart

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

In what world is it smart to sign a player for a club record fee then let him play elsewhere for a year?
Quote this post when he blows an ACL in March 2018

1) i'd imagine they can include a clause of some sort that they can nix the deal if he doesn't pass a physical next summer

2) there's no way LFC was getting him next summer when that release fee kicked in

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
they must've been wowed by his performance yesterday

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

Don't get it. If you paid the release, why isn't he signed today...?

RBL knows they're going to get an offer for the release fee amount from every big club on earth day 1 of next summers transfer window and he's gone for that amount regardless of what they do. from their perspective they might as well get some extra cash if he's gone for sure, plus they get him for all of this season which is big for them. LFC...get to sign him, which wasn't happening if he had offers from every other big club on earth.

basically compared to LFC's previous offer RBL is loaning him for the season for at least a 15m loan fee, plus paying his wages, which is not a bad deal for LFC at all.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

This is some incredible mental gymnastics

if you picture liverpool as a guy wandering around a crowd of people yelling TAKE MY MONEY and no one wants to take his money it makes more sense

edit - AS likely submitted transfer request some time in the second half yesterday

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
as i understand it about half of the italian male population are elite defenders, perhaps they should look there more carefully

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
there isn't any way that arsenal would offer sterling a comparable contract in a swap deal, right? i think i'm remembering correctly that city paid him like twice what they should've

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
pool just spent 70m on dusan tadic

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
that reddit thread is hysterical, they're all earnestly trying to figure out the ownership history of THE VAN

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/6wr1jr/the_club_car_leaving_the_airport/

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i still do not understand why sakho isn't at least a rotation guy for a team that regularly dresses ragnar

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

Does anyone who is a non-boom-buster please tell me if Naby Keita is worth $48 million one year in advance of actually getting the player?

I've never seen him play outside of highlights

i kind of inadvertently watched a fair amount of RBL last year and I absolutely loved him...he's a real live box to box player who does just about everything well except be tall (caveat: i have a permanent hardon for B2B mids in general).

that said I think forsberg is better

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
liverpool should probably respond by trying to unsettle mascherano and then buy him back on the cheap. he's still good, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
can someone please make some more crazy deals happen, i'm getting bored

• Locked thread