Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Is this worse than when The Shiek bought the NWA Championship?

No one cared. At least compare it to one of the AWA title reigns that were bought when that title kind of meant something... this is dumber than either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

reignofevil posted:

Jinder is the new face of the brand.

And it's awful.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
where do i buy steroids?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

keevo posted:

where do i buy steroids?

Target

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

No one cared. At least compare it to one of the AWA title reigns that were bought when that title kind of meant something... this is dumber than either.
MRT and the forums groupthink share an opinion?!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

SamuraiFoochs posted:

And it's awful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDw1nECBqN8

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/joegagne/status/867131580283846662

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Like seriously though no fooling that Jinder promo tonight was more painfully awkward than any Roman promo I think. Jinder can't cut a promo without losing his voice halfway through.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jimder

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Like seriously though no fooling that Jinder promo tonight was more painfully awkward than any Roman promo I think. Jinder can't cut a promo without losing his voice halfway through.

He started the promo without a voice because he was probably up all night celebrating his monumental title win along with 1.3 billion other people

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Magic beans

Tater tots

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Jinder was brought in as as Enhancement Talent

In his jobber career he managed to stand out by actively making wrestlers look worse, and injure them.

He can't cut a promo.

He is objectively worse than James Ellsworth

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jinder sucks but Talking Smack doesn't suck.

Lid posted:

In his jobber career he managed to stand out by actively making wrestlers look worse, and injure them.

He can't cut a promo.

I really miss when Ellsworth was a main eventer.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lid posted:

He can't cut a promo.

Imagine thinking Zayn or Cesaro stand a chance of progressing from here

Like I'm close to actively thinking worse of them for sticking around in such a doomed situation

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I missed the new day a whole lot

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Imagine thinking Zayn or Cesaro stand a chance of progressing from here

Like I'm close to actively thinking worse of them for sticking around in such a doomed situation

You've got to think at least Cesaro is either looking at ROH or New Japan the moment his contract is up.

It's not like Vince hasn't had crazy ideas like this before. It's just when he had them he had cold hard bad PPV buy rates to tell him the idea sucked and he changed directions. In the era of network subs he's not gonna see those numbers till it's way to late.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Maybe those guys are holding out for 2019 because when the TV deal sucks a dick, Vince'll get forced out and for all his flaws, HHH's booking philosophy seems to be "push the guy that is good and talks good and wrestles good and gets over."

SatoshiMiwa posted:

You've got to think at least Cesaro is either looking at ROH or New Japan the moment his contract is up.

It's not like Vince hasn't had crazy ideas like this before. It's just when he had them he had cold hard bad PPV buy rates to tell him the idea sucked and he changed directions. In the era of network subs he's not gonna see those numbers till it's way to late.

He has the number to tell him his ideas are poo poo, he just ignores them and comes up with explanations why constant record low ratings don't matter at all.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 24, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lid posted:

Is this worse than when The Shiek bought the NWA Championship?

Yes, because nobody has cared all that much about the NWA title in like 20+ years. The titles in WWE have maybe lost some shine with some of the choices they've made, but they still are the titles most everyone in the business wants to hold

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 24, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Or maybe they're sticking around because they can make more money being in WWE than anywhere else (which is why they signed in the first place), and you should look down on them for wanting the maximum monetary compensation for the limited time they're able to perform their job, the selfish fucks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you're a big name (which Cesaro, Zayn and the other stupidly unpushed guys definitely are) you can make probably just as much money on the indies while having much more control over your schedule and your character.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave's acknowledged before there are numerous people in the company who would absolutely be paid better in the indies, especially in comparison to lower card (tag scene, non-title scene) and NXT, much like there are people in the indies who are currently better paid than they ever would be in WWE (Young Bucks, Okada)

Demand is there and high for Castagnoli and Generico; no matter how bad booking gets, companies won't be swayed by it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Dave's acknowledged before there are numerous people in the company who would absolutely be paid better in the indies, especially in comparison to lower card (tag scene, non-title scene) and NXT, much like there are people in the indies who are currently better paid than they ever would be in WWE (Young Bucks, Okada)

Demand is there and high for Castagnoli and Generico; no matter how bad booking gets, companies won't be swayed by it

I wonder if that includes Omega, as well.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
CM Punk took a paycut to join WWE and that was back in 2005 when indie wasn't as big. Now i'm flashbacking to "No, you want Sheamus".

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I feel like Omega wouldn't come unless they backed the truck up to his house, so, probably not? They'd have to give him more than he's already making to lure him away from what he's doing now.

But I also feel like Omega's definitely waiting out Vince.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The point isn't what you make out of the gate, the point is that if you get pushed to the main event, you'll make more than what you could otherwise. New Japan isn't shelling out Okada money for anybody who isn't Okada.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jinder Mahal

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

can someone verify this

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

He started the promo without a voice because he was probably up all night celebrating his monumental title win along with 1.3 billion other people

He has sounded lovely every promo he has cut this run. I'm not even talking about his delivery (which is also poo poo), I mean his voice is literally painful to listen to. Also his mean face looks like he is making GBS threads.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, his voice has been hoarse as gently caress for basically every promo he's cut. It's extremely jarring and drags me out of the promo even worse than him saying YOU AMERICANS for the 57th loving time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They'd probably offer Omega decent money but than F it up and say he needs to spend a year in NXT. Hell they'd do the same to Okada too

Edit:

VJeff posted:

Maybe those guys are holding out for 2019 because when the TV deal sucks a dick, Vince'll get forced out and for all his flaws, HHH's booking philosophy seems to be "push the guy that is good and talks good and wrestles good and gets over."

He has the number to tell him his ideas are poo poo, he just ignores them and comes up with explanations why constant record low ratings don't matter at all.

The only down business number for them right now is TV ratings though, everything else is doing okay. They just keep foolishly believing the TV ratings is due to Cord cutting/NBA/whatever.

Now granted we haven't seen what the Orton/Jinder house shows will draw in the US. Given the way Backlash ticket sales went once that main was announced I expect them to be bad. So unless we see a huge upswing in merchandise/Network subs in India we should see probably some of the worst Network era numbers

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 24, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

reignofevil posted:

Jinder is the new face of the brand.

I should invest in Proactiv.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Professor Funk posted:

Don't want to hinder the Jinder talk, but I guess they're telegraphing Balor/Lesnar for GREAT BALLS OF FIRE? I'm not sure I want to see that match yet. Maybe I'm a stupid idiot though.

They sure are. A large part of me doesn't want to see the match as much because they had Finn lose twice in the last 3 weeks because they're insane.

KungFu Grip posted:

People wanted Daniel Bryan to face Brock and win

drat loving straight.

DLC Inc posted:

So the storyline for Raw's No.1 Contender is basically nothing more than "smash these 5 guys together in random matches with basically no storyline or deeper meaning"

Including, as Bryan and Vinny pointed out, they did the initial segment backwards by having Kurt make the match then they said they deserved the shot, as opposed to the other way around.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Your theory has actually been tested by Liger

https://youtu.be/6gS2nSn42Ag

For those wondering, Liger tries to pin 4 NJPW stars after a night out, at 5am after sneaking into their rooms. If his enemy is drunkenly asleep, can he pin: Tanahashi, Nakanishi, Togi Makabe, or Honma?

Vaguido posted:

And that's what I'm saying. I don't know in what world an entire man (190 lbs or 300 lbs doesn't matter) stomping his feet down full force directly on your chest, where your heart lives, doesn't look like it hurts to you.

It makes sense, but Finn's style often looks worse. The style where you buckle your legs and fall forwards looks better than his, where he looks like he slips on his opponent.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They'd probably offer Omega decent money but than F it up and say he needs to spend a year in NXT. Hell they'd do the same to Okada too

Edit:

The only down business number for them right now is TV ratings though, everything else is doing okay. They just keep foolishly believing the TV ratings is due to Cord cutting/NBA/whatever.

Now granted we haven't seen what the Orton/Jinder house shows will draw in the US. Given the way Backlash ticket sales went once that main was announced I expect them to be bad. So unless we see a huge upswing in merchandise/Network subs in India we should see probably some of the worst Network era numbers

I mean, a massive chunk of their revenue comes from TV, so if the ratings keep falling as they have been for the entirety of the TV deal...that's not gonna be good for the next one.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

I mean, a massive chunk of their revenue comes from TV, so if the ratings keep falling as they have been for the entirety of the TV deal...that's not gonna be good for the next one.

Not pictured: Merch sales, also down.

They got a year to improve any of these if they want even the same deal they're currently on at this point, and uh with how TV ratings and attendance are doing so far in this second quarter, it uh doesn't look good at all. Leverage is nonexistent.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean who is going to bid against USA? ESPN? Fox? Given the ratings decline and the state of TV I don't see anybody putting up any kind of cash.

And if they go network only for the show...well that's a huge loss of money they won't be able to replace.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The point isn't what you make out of the gate, the point is that if you get pushed to the main event, you'll make more than what you could otherwise. New Japan isn't shelling out Okada money for anybody who isn't Okada.

The young bucks and omega signed a deal with Hot Topic. Not NJPW, but The Bucks and Omega.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I can't get over Jinder's facial expressions. Every time he tries to look angry, he just scrunches up his nose in a goofy way. It looks less like "pissed off heel" and more like "smelled a fart."

Dude is clearly trying hard, but he's just not main event material. Doesn't help that his henchmen are baby-sized cruiserweights who weren't good enough for the actual cruiserweight division.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 24, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The_Rob posted:

The young bucks and omega signed a deal with Hot Topic. Not NJPW, but The Bucks and Omega.

That's not really a fair comparison because The Bucks work harder on their brand than anybody not named Vince McMahon works on anything.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Jinder Mahal is a signal to all the lower card talent mired in 50/50 feuds and jobber purgatory that you too can have a meteoric rise to main event WWE title holding status as long as you train hard, believe in the product, do unbelievable amounts of steroids, live your character, be devoted to your diet, and be able to pass for a race or ethnicity that the WWE is currently trying to make inroads with as an emerging market.

It's just that simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chris James 2 posted:

Not pictured: Merch sales, also down.

They got a year to improve any of these if they want even the same deal they're currently on at this point, and uh with how TV ratings and attendance are doing so far in this second quarter, it uh doesn't look good at all. Leverage is nonexistent.

the company's dyin' cloud

• Locked thread