Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Am I gonna see WWE die as a business in the next 10 years

if so, I will always remember Jinder the Unhindered for his great contribution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Jinder the Arquette

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Didn't WWE have to take a lowball offer the last time their TV contract was up for renewal? And that was during the peak of the sports rights bubble, when networks were handing out blank checks for any random poo poo.

If they think they can get a higher or even similar deal next time out, they're probably going to be disappointed.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
They basically got a tiny bit of a raise over their last deal which almost seemed out of abject pity on NBC Universal's part because no one else had any serious interest in bidding for them. They were throwing all these crazy NASCAR type numbers out and then got basically nothing. Of course, all the networks that threw out those crazy deals are getting bled dry by them a few years later while cord cutting continues to increase.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lid posted:

Jinder the Arquette

Actually thing is wrong as Arquette campaigned against getting the title because he thought it would bring tge company into disrepute.

Jinder the Abbott

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
WWE still acts like they're super mainstream when they aren't which is probably going to hurt them in negotiations moving forward, esp if their shows just keep getting worse. Even ESPN seems to be kind of suffering right now with all these specialized sports packages giving better content for a reasonable price.

I'm a huge wrestling fan but I'd rather pay $15 a month for a 24 hour baseball network than a 24 hour wrestling network and I barely watch baseball.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Will they maybe have to settle for something without that third hour of RAW? Just for my own sanity really

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Fat Lowtax posted:

Will they maybe have to settle for something without that third hour of RAW? Just for my own sanity really
Nitro seemed to do 10x more with their 3 hours than RAW does now, even if the first hour was a 25 minute throw-away cruiserweight match and 35 minute Hulk Hogan promo

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'd wrestle below my ceiling in WWE just to have an action figure. If that's not what wrestling is about, I don't know what is.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bill Goldberg posted:

can someone verify this

yes

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
UFC next year is gonna be really interesting and they might be in an even spookier situation than WWE because they just bought the company for 4 billion dollars right before Ronda Rousey hosed off and Conor McGregor realized he can do literally whatever the gently caress he wants because he has the entire company by the balls.

Meanwhile, WWE does things in a way where they specifically never have to worry about Conor McGregor problems, but they never have to worry about making Conor McGregor money either. :v:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

VJeff posted:

UFC next year is gonna be really interesting and they might be in an even spookier situation than WWE because they just bought the company for 4 billion dollars right before Ronda Rousey hosed off and Conor McGregor realized he can do literally whatever the gently caress he wants because he has the entire company by the balls.

Meanwhile, WWE does things in a way where they specifically never have to worry about Conor McGregor problems, but they never have to worry about making Conor McGregor money either. :v:
It's still kinda funny to me that Rousey had the chance to work with WWE at her peak and didn't, and Connor was stirring the pot too and WWE just didn't give a poo poo and now he's even bigger than he was a year ago when he was going all that.

WWE's total fear of mentioning any company outside of their bubble is what's going to be their downfall. Which is ironic because they're the first to mention how many IWGP titles that Brock Lesner or Nakamura have won but won't mention what company that was.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

In theory the WWE should be able to make Conor McGregor/Ronda Rousey megastars easier cause they control wins and loses. Of course in practice the WWE can't make a top guy worth a drat right now....

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

In theory the WWE should be able to make Conor McGregor/Ronda Rousey megastars easier cause they control wins and loses. Of course in practice the WWE can't make a top guy worth a drat right now....
Until they realize they've got a megastar to put over Brock Lesner or Charolette Flair, yeah.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I remember when Conor McGregor did one tweet making fun of pro wrestling, and it managed to make so much of the WWE roster mad, including AJ Styles going "Pfft, small fighters, LOL", which is hilarious for many, many reasons, the least of which is that WWE looked at him and looked at Jinder Mahal, and went "Well, of course push Mahal, he's bigger!"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The breadth of reactions to that was fascinating.

On one end of the scale, you had Roman going "your the size of my leg. Shut up" and then having to correct himself on his spelling of "you're".
On the other, you had Samoa Joe posting this:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If Samoa Joe were related to The Rock do you think he'd be getting Roman's push? :thinking:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

If Samoa Joe were related to The Rock do you think he'd be getting Roman's push? :thinking:

Samoa Joe had an offer from WWE in 2005 and chose TNA, so him finally reaching WWE now that he's too old to be a star for a decade is his fault.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think Braun could be/could of been a mega star if they just had him fully destroy Roman and had him go over Brock. It'd also help to take a bit of heat off Roman and you could have Roman beat Braun later. But they 50/50 him so some of the heat died of and welp he hurt his elbow

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Samoa Joe had an offer from WWE in 2005 and chose TNA, so him finally reaching WWE now that he's too old to be a star for a decade is his fault.
TBF the choice at the time was between being a big fish in a little pond and being Evan Bourne in the WWE.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think Braun could be/could of been a mega star if they just had him fully destroy Roman and had him go over Brock. It'd also help to take a bit of heat off Roman and you could have Roman beat Braun later. But they 50/50 him so some of the heat died of and welp he hurt his elbow
Braun's entire push was meant to be a platform for Roman to get over and challenge Brock at Summerslam to win the title and you're foolish if you think otherwise.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Having Roman just straight up beat Braun clean at Fastlane is honestly right up there as a terrible decision with...well I guess all the other stupid poo poo they've done with Roman at Fastlane!

Boy, that show is a real rear end in a top hat, huh.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Braun's entire push was meant to be a platform for Roman to get over and challenge Brock at Summerslam to win the title and you're foolish if you think otherwise.

The plan was for Braun to face Brock at Great Balls of Fire, and for Balor to face Brock at Summerslam, so uh...

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The plan was for Braun to face Brock at Great Balls of Fire, and for Balor to face Brock at Summerslam, so uh...
Either way the long-term plan had to be Roman getting his win back against Lesner

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the only firm Wrestlemania plan is Brock vs Roman, which given the way ratings are going seems like a Wonderful idea.

But yeah, Braun in the end would of lost to Brock and than Roman would beat him and than we're in Rumble season get in!

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I'd use the word "choice" instead of "fault"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

VJeff posted:

Having Roman just straight up beat Braun clean at Fastlane is honestly right up there as a terrible decision with...well I guess all the other stupid poo poo they've done with Roman at Fastlane!

Boy, that show is a real rear end in a top hat, huh.

Its funny Roman beat him but for sure everyone thinks Roman would never beat Braun and not in a "he cant possibly lift Andre" disbelief. Kayfabe and real life are mixed with Roman so people look at him and say "nah Braun wins" and if Roman wins hes not an underdog its "thats just bad booking". This only applies to Roman, if Finn beat Braun it would be seen as the impossible is possible. Roman has broken kayfabe by existing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lid posted:

Its funny Roman beat him but for sure everyone thinks Roman would never beat Braun and not in a "he cant possibly lift Andre" disbelief. Kayfabe and real life are mixed with Roman so people look at him and say "nah Braun wins" and if Roman wins hes not an underdog its "thats just bad booking". This only applies to Roman, if Finn beat Braun it would be seen as the impossible is possible. Roman has broken kayfabe by existing.
It's not even that, it's more like he's just so glaringly "The Guy" that WWE wants to push that everything he does looks phony. It's like they've found a Samoan Triple H and are pushing him as such.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
when's roman v jinder

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

When shameful backs collide

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
but backlash just passed

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Roman is never going to be a credible underdog without losing a lot of matches clean. which would be stupid because he,s the face of the company

you'd think Vince and wwe would be able to do the math and stop booking him as an underdog but welp

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

4 inch cut no femmes posted:

but backlash just passed

If someone actually backlashed Jinder then they'd have to hand out ponchos to the first few audience rows.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If someone actually backlashed Jinder then they'd have to hand out ponchos to the first few audience rows.

gently caress now I want to see Jack Gallagher smash Jinder's back with a sledge hammer.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Roman is never going to be a credible underdog without losing a lot of matches clean. which would be stupid because he,s the face of the company

you'd think Vince and wwe would be able to do the math and stop booking him as an underdog but welp

Cena was an underdog overcoming the odds for 10+ years. They think that if they just say he's an underdog enough, people will believe it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Your theory has actually been tested by Liger

https://youtu.be/6gS2nSn42Ag

This is more entertaining than anything WWE has done in a long time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Smackdown results added to the OP. I thought for sure Breezango were going to win the tag titles :(

The point isn't what you make out of the gate, the point is that if you get pushed to the main event, you'll make more than what you could otherwise. New Japan isn't shelling out Okada money for anybody who isn't Okada.

Bushiroad: You're paying this Okada HOW MUCH!?! He better be the best and most perfect wrestler in the entire world! :argh:
Gedo: :smug:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is a general thought, but I like it when certain wrestlers don't come to WWE.

I like it when they value their time, their sanity, and their autonomy over making it to "the big leagues".

Kenny Omega is an example. He likes what he is doing. He likes where he is living. He likes his schedule, and teh way his character is going. And I for one respect the fact that he values all of that over a pay jump, (how much of a jump is to be argued) to go to WWE. Same with the Young Bucks, or Ibushi who turned down an opportunity because it wasn't right for him.

Now it is right for some, and good on those who have set WWE as their goal and work towards it, but expecting every good wrestler to eventually end up in WWE, or to say that a wrestler is a failure because they didn't make it there is bullshit.

Some people have priorities outside of WWE, even wrestling career priorities outside of WWE. And I for one like and respect those people, and hope that they continue to enjoy their lives away from Vince, Hunter, and the machine that those lunatics run.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ibushi is probably the exception to that list, because he might be legitimately insane

Gave up DDT to work for NJPW
Gave up NJPW to work for DDT
Gave up both to work for the CWC
Gave up the WWE to go back to Japanese indies
Gave up Japanese indies to become a literal anime

He kinda just does whatever he thinks will be the most fun at the time

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 24, 2017

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RealFoxy posted:

Ibushi is probably the exception to that list, because he might be legitimately insane

Gave up DDT to work for NJPW
Gave up NJPW to work for DDT
Gave up both to work for the CWC
Gave up the WWE to go back to Japanese indies
Gave up Japanese indies to become a literal anime

He kinda just does whatever he thinks will be the most fun at the time

Which is kinda my point. YAY to a dude having fun and living his life the way he wants to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah but his youthful good looks won't last fore-
Looks at Ibushi
....nevermind....

• Locked thread