Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KungFu Grip posted:

People wanted Daniel Bryan to face Brock and win

Mat wrestling is an OK style for a little guy to face a big guy with. When Finn does that stupid rear end double stomp I can't possibly think it'll hurt someone that's like twice as big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well it doesn't look like it hurts even when Finn does it to someone his own size, so,

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Getting double stomped from a height by a man Finn's size could legitimately easily kill someone if it wasn't worked, also you're dumb.

well yeah, and there are a ton of submission holds that hurt but don't *look* like they hurt as much as say, the Steiner Recliner. The thing these moves have in common are that they are bad wrestling moves

e) honestly this isn't a "making GBS threads on Finn" thing, I always think top rope stomps look like one of the least impactful moves you can do from the ropes. Even a flying elbow looks so much cooler.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vaguido posted:

Guys did you know if you do an irish whip in real life the guy will just not move???????

Can't believe this fake fighting is so unrealistic.

yeah in fake fighting how could you possibly care about moves that "would hurt in real life" versus moves that look like they hurt

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vaguido posted:

The point is that this is fake bullshit fighting and that if you can't suspend your disbelief enough to believe the coup de grace would hurt just because the guy is tiny, maybe you should watch a different form of entertainment. This, of course, is completely ignoring the fact that Finn's finish is legitimately deadly and could kill someone twice your size in a shoot.

the whole point of using moves that look like they hurt, rather than moves "that would hurt in real life" is to help the audience suspend disbelief

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jinder Mahal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jinder Mahal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

why wasnt owens vs jericho 4 stars?

jericho isn't dave's source anymore. the big dog is dave's new guy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have an important scoop.
https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/867882529533177856

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

projecthalaxy posted:

Imagine how many more 4* matches Roman would have if he got to work with your Owen Harts and Shawn Michaels as opposed to, like, Sheamus and the Big Show

Imagine the stars Roman will get when WWE signs Okada and Omega. I'm imagining it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The standards are almost certainly higher today, it's just that there's so much more good work in the US compared to the 90s that people became accustomed to it. I sometimes rewatch Razor/HBK and wonder if it'd crack **** today.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FWIW there are very few matches from the 90s rated ****+ that I think would get like, "adjusted down" today, Mankind/HBK is still ****+, ditto Austin/Hart (SS 96 and Mania) and most Rey matches (though I still think the GAB match with Malenko was like, ***1/2, like, c'mon, don't debut a high flier with a mat match)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cronox2 posted:

Were there even monthly PPVs back then anyway?

There were from 1995-1997.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm not saying its a fair comparison or anything its just Owen indexes in my brain as "always has great match", as does the Shield trio, and the Bret vs Roman comparison made me interested to look it up

Owen wasn't a main card guy for most of his career so he had far fewer opportunities to have great matches.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Roman's probably a source, like Dwayne.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's a lot, but that makes sense because John Cena is really good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
John Cena owns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Roman has lost clean, as has Cena. Honestly Stone Cold was probably protected far more than those two, not to even mention Hulk.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

reignofevil posted:

Get this.

They are gonna shoot the first black president lol.

shoot on*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It turns out that Bray stinks so the right man went over

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Babyfaces working heel against crowd favorites is kind of in the WWE style guide at this point. Roman does it pretty frequently.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
To be fair NXT let the wrestlers script out the matches really heavily and rehearse it repeatedly, which isn't how WWE works. Maybe they should change that so people will actually get trained.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HHH is wrestling. Wrestling is HHH

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think anyone in the world would call DDP an all time great worker

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jinder Mahal