Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Democrats are weak, out of touch, ineffectual cowards who couldn't win a grade school class presidential race with 100 million dollars, holy poo poo lmao ad infinitum

Just lol if you're a Democrat or identify as one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

super sweet best pal posted:

It emigrated to the Congo to hawk skin lotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbCGVvnaxk4

I actually kinda liked the song.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Democrats are weak, out of touch, ineffectual cowards who couldn't win a grade school class presidential race with 100 million dollars, holy poo poo lmao ad infinitum

i see nothing false in this statement

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Just lol if you're a Democrat or identify as one

The democrats deserve everything they are getting and they deserve to lose big in every election until they are dead and gone.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Pawn 17 posted:

The democrats deserve everything they are getting and they deserve to lose big in every election until they are dead and gone.

i too would love the republicans to remain in power in perpetuity

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, you're a racist sexist bigot if you don't vote for the candidate we decided to do you the favor of selecting, scum. Man I loving detest the uneducated poor, especially whites because we can't use them to advance our agenda or call people racist for not voting for us. *loses catastrophically on election day*

WHAT HAPPENED????

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Darling posted:

i too would love the republicans to remain in power in perpetuity

Apparently so would the DNC lmao

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Heh, you're a racist sexist bigot if you don't vote for the candidate we decided to do you the favor of selecting, scum. Man I loving detest the uneducated poor, especially whites because we can't use them to advance our agenda or call people racist for not voting for us. *loses catastrophically on election day*

WHAT HAPPENED????

Actually, Hillary lost because she ran a mediocre campaign, the Voting Rights Act dismantling killed voting for poor minorities in key states, and oh yeah, white people suck.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

only 1/3 of the votes for party chair come from delegates elected by popular vote lmao

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stexils posted:

only 1/3 of the votes for party chair come from delegates elected by popular vote lmao

The Democrat Party needs to reform or die.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

COMRADES posted:

Spoiler alert: it's not going to reform. RIP

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
the taxman would save us all if only we werent dead and gay

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Holy poo poo they are complaining about voter fraud and voting without IDs? Amazing how the Bernie left consistently ends up agreeing with the right.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Actually, Hillary lost because she ran a mediocre campaign, the Voting Rights Act dismantling killed voting for poor minorities in key states, and oh yeah, white people suck.

this and also bernie ran a fairly white-centric campaign and still lost

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

Don't worry, it's definitely dying

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ron Darling posted:

this and also bernie ran a fairly white-centric campaign and still lost

So his appeals for a more equal America were racially charged? Or are you just blaming him for Hillary's defeat?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

phasmid posted:

So his appeals for a more equal America were racially charged? Or are you just blaming him for Hillary's defeat?

The factors of Hillary's defeat were numerous, and starting with her, but Sanders seems to think that as long as you have economic equality everything else will magically fall into place and we'll turn into this rainbow land of unicorns and dreams and lol that will never happen without first dealing with the very real structural and systemic racist issues that are ingrained within the American fabric

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

honestly though Trump is the best thing for democrats because they would have been wiped the f out in the next midterms if she had won

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sanders made a very salient argument that if the economics continue being as they are then you can have all the tolerance and whatever liberal crap that you like and black people will still remain exploited and abused.

I really can't believe that he is painted as the "white" candidate because he acknowledges the economic realities that black leaders like MLK Jr and Malcolm X spoke about and doesn't just try to push some "just be nicer to minorities" crap versus Hillary "Superpredator" Clinton who offers more of the same with a smile. The man was arrested at civil rights rallies back in the day but yeah he's definitely some racist in disguise.

Ron Darling posted:

The factors of Hillary's defeat were numerous, and starting with her, but Sanders seems to think that as long as you have economic equality everything else will magically fall into place and we'll turn into this rainbow land of unicorns and dreams and lol that will never happen without first dealing with the very real structural and systemic racist issues that are ingrained within the American fabric

If there is true economic equality then there isn't an exploited minority underclass and no white power coming down on people but Sanders never said "racism isn't a problem" so... where is this narrative coming from? The publications owned by a company that Chelsea sits on the board of?

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 23, 2017

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ron Darling posted:

Hillary is after his heart*. They both used broad rhetoric that appealed to emotions, with constant reminders that the way out would not be an easy one. They both promised a land of unicorns. The only difference I see is that Bernie wanted to take gambles that would appeal broadly and Hillary was just a Judas goat for her special interests. Clinton showed no love of poor people, middle class people or minorities. She only cared about her narrowest constituency - big donors.

Are you suggesting that anything short of divine intervention would just whoosh racism away?

*in tactics.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The problem of racism goes hand in hand with the economics but the Democrats don't want to say that or believe that because that means that our capitalist system itself spawns racism and brutality and they don't want to mess up the status quo too much. Then they say other people are the real racists for wanting to fix the conditions that spawn the racism in the first place.

Numerous black leaders have said the exact same thing and were assassinated for their trouble.

But black people don't give a poo poo about whether the white man likes them or tolerates them. It's about economic and political self determination. It's about not having to rely on the white man for a job and to live in the first place. Then it doesn't matter if the white man likes you or not.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 23, 2017

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

phasmid posted:

Hillary is after his heart*. They both used broad rhetoric that appealed to emotions, with constant reminders that the way out would not be an easy one. They both promised a land of unicorns. The only difference I see is that Bernie wanted to take gambles that would appeal broadly and Hillary was just a Judas goat for her special interests. Clinton showed no love of poor people, middle class people or minorities. She only cared about her narrowest constituency - big donors.

Are you suggesting that anything short of divine intervention would just whoosh racism away?

*in tactics.

No but I do see in the current undertow of progressivism a sort of benevolent racism, wherein the white people are going to give these policies to the minorities that would supposedly lift them up without dealing with the exposed raw nerves underneath. I'm not saying that this is all current progressivism, but I'm seeing it crop up here and there. I'm also peeved that every time Bernie candidates lose they always fall back on the old VOTER FRAUD canard instead of looking at their own candidates and nominating someone who's acceptable to everyone

I'm not a bernie person, and while yes I did vote for Clinton I'm infuriated she won't take any personal responsibility for her loss in this because it always comes down to the candidate, win or lose. My problem is this: if Bernie had won and failed to implement like, anything, then what? every time I asked someone about this they'd be all "well we'd just vote in progressives next time" without honestly understanding like any dynamics of midterms. He was some sort of magical panacea that people stuck their hopes to because Obama didn't pan out to their every wish

idk i have feelings on this

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I feel like Bernie was just the leftist populist candidate, the answer to Trump on the right. Then the DNC stamped out that flame in favor of Hillary and got slammed like Jeb Bush got slammed because no one wanted status quo.

He wasn't magic, he wasn't a miracle, he was just actually saying what people wanted to hear instead of the party line of "well the Fed says unemployment is real low so things are GREAT!"

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ron Darling posted:

because Obama didn't pan out to really any wish

I took the liberty of fixing this for you.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

I really can't believe that he is painted as the "white" candidate because he acknowledges the economic realities that black leaders like MLK Jr and Malcolm X spoke about and doesn't just try to push some "just be nicer to minorities" crap versus Hillary "Superpredator" Clinton who offers more of the same with a smile. The man was arrested at civil rights rallies back in the day but yeah he's definitely some racist in disguise.

That is how effective media propaganda is, the "berniebros" and "white candidate" narratives carry on to this day, people still think Jill Stein is anti-vaxx too.

every station that pushed these narratives should be sued for slander and interfering with the election.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ron Darling posted:

No but I do see in the current undertow of progressivism a sort of benevolent racism, wherein the white people are going to give these policies to the minorities that would supposedly lift them up without dealing with the exposed raw nerves underneath. I'm not saying that this is all current progressivism, but I'm seeing it crop up here and there. I'm also peeved that every time Bernie candidates lose they always fall back on the old VOTER FRAUD canard instead of looking at their own candidates and nominating someone who's acceptable to everyone
Democrats usually call "voter fraud" when election booths are closed early or the guy who manufactures the voting machines has pledged his support for George W. Bush. Republicans are the ones who just use it interchangably with "mexicans". If it's fraud, it's fraud. There was a Trump supporter who got arrested in TX for voting twice. He claimed "he wanted to make sure the system worked."

Ron Darling posted:

I'm not a bernie person, and while yes I did vote for Clinton I'm infuriated she won't take any personal responsibility for her loss in this because it always comes down to the candidate, win or lose. My problem is this: if Bernie had won and failed to implement like, anything, then what? every time I asked someone about this they'd be all "well we'd just vote in progressives next time" without honestly understanding like any dynamics of midterms. He was some sort of magical panacea that people stuck their hopes to because Obama didn't pan out to their every wish

idk i have feelings on this
My one reason for voting for Bernie is this: his entire political career has been consistently leftist. I do not believe he would renege on his promises. He counts on his word for support and his record is the reason for his momentum and his close race with Hillary (until superdelegates and the media stopped him - "democrats" my rear end). I firmly believe he would have made Trump look ridiculous and expose his complete insincerity.

As for Obama, he cut his teeth making compromises. He was the perfect company man. A great smile, a strong demagogue and a great grasp of politics. I thought he might be more of a Jimmy Carter. Making that comparison later on in life gives it fresh meaning.

Bernie's candidacy might have changed broader elections. He may have met better terms in Congress, since we also know Clinton left the Rust Belt high and dry. Yes, I do think Sanders would have made some good changes. If you stand up and say "I am for free healthcare" "I am for free school" "I am for better wages" and you MEAN IT instead of dropping it like dead-weight on day one, your enemies are going to look pretty bad for stymieing you.

But that's just digression. All we can do now is mitigate Trumps damage and try to get the Democrats moving left. Although:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Spoiler alert: it's not going to reform. RIP
Might be sadly true.

a bone to pick posted:

That is how effective media propaganda is, the "berniebros" and "white candidate" narratives carry on to this day, people still think Jill Stein is anti-vaxx too.

every station that pushed these narratives should be sued for slander and interfering with the election.
So every station.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Ron Darling posted:

The whole crux of Bernie's economic inequality argument is that racism, classism, and social inequality are always going to be ingrained into society, so why not repair the issues with our economy, health care system, social safety net, education, and overall quality of life? Then maybe we can start confronting the very real problems we have with systematic racism when it's much easier for all people to have a decent life despite those issues. It's certainly not some perfect utopian ideal, but it's a very good concept that many people were very interested in.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
the whole point of the sanders campaign was to "build a movement"

he was explicitly clear that electing him wouldn't do poo poo and it was up to voters to keep pursuing their ideals by voting in more people that supported those ideals

having the president of the US directing and helping people select candidates that would support his highly popular vision isn't some loony magical thinking. people begged obama to do exactly this and he flat out refused saying that his grass roots organization was "like a tiger he couldn't control"

bernie was popular because he was a step in the right direction and someone who was interested in continually moving in that direction. the whole point is he would lend the power of the office to building that movement. having the president willing to call out people who weren't supporting his policies, to call on the voters to get involved and elect people that actually represented them, and stand apart from the widely despised, seemingly corrupt insider politics could have potentially done wonders for this country.

or it could have not worked. but even if he failed, his impacts on the country while in office would have been considerably better than clinton or trump. he was a win-win candidate. at best creating real change, at worst mitigating the damage the ruling classes are doing to this country.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

phasmid posted:

So every station.

ya.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Yes.

vvv I think you're saying the same thing.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 23, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The whole crux of Bernie's economic inequality argument is that racism, classism, and social inequality are always going to be ingrained into society, so why not repair the issues with our economy, health care system, social safety net, education, and overall quality of life?

I feel like I followed his campaign closely and never once did I get that message.

As far as I'm aware the point was very much that you need to address the economy and education and overall quality of life hand in hand in order to address racism, classism, and social inequality in any kind of meaningful way.

If anything it was Clinton promising to help racism, classism, and social inequality while not really addressing the economics of the situation whatsoever, which made it an empty promise. Hillary's solution was more equality in boardrooms, meanwhile the boardrooms are grinding the people into dust daily.

Yeah

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 23, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

COMRADES posted:

I feel like I followed his campaign closely and never once did I get that message.

As far as I'm aware the point was very much that you need to address the economy and education and overall quality of life hand in hand in order to address racism, classism, and social inequality in any kind of meaningful way.

Which is true. The problem is selling that to people because they want their specific needs taken care of first, and so on, and so on...

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

a bone to pick posted:

Jill Stein is anti-vaxx too.

um she has confessed on several occasions to be deeply skeptical of the FDA vetting process for new vaccines which basically see a revolving door between top level pharma executives and the companies they are supposed to regulate

so are anti-vaxxers

heh, guess vaccines are actually good.

wrap it up, anti-vaxxailures

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
LOWTAX FOR PRESIDENT

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Luxury Communism posted:

um she has confessed on several occasions to be deeply skeptical of the FDA vetting process for new vaccines which basically see a revolving door between top level pharma executives and the companies they are supposed to regulate

so are anti-vaxxers

heh, guess vaccines are actually good.

wrap it up, anti-vaxxailures

It really doesn't matter because vaccines literally save lives and own hard. Heh.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The whole crux of Bernie's economic inequality argument is that racism, classism, and social inequality are always going to be ingrained into society, so why not repair the issues with our economy, health care system, social safety net, education, and overall quality of life?

Because the general level of education in this country has regressed to the point where winning elections with identity politics is cheaper and easier than using an old-fashioned policy platform, long term race relations be damned.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

Korranus posted:

Because the general level of education in this country has regressed to the point where winning elections with identity politics is cheaper and easier than using an old-fashioned policy platform, long term race relations be damned.

Uh-oh, spotted the racist gamergate supporter!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Korranus posted:

Because the general level of education in this country has regressed to the point where winning elections with identity politics is cheaper

I'm not so sure that's the right word, given what a certain Hillary R. Clinton spent to lose.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Tallgeese posted:

I'm not so sure that's the right word, given what a certain Hillary R. Clinton spent to lose.

Celebrity endorsements aren't cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Tallgeese posted:

It's cheaper than funding a fair education system.

• Locked thread