Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ron Darling posted:

this and also bernie ran a fairly white-centric campaign and still lost

So his appeals for a more equal America were racially charged? Or are you just blaming him for Hillary's defeat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ron Darling posted:

The factors of Hillary's defeat were numerous, and starting with her, but Sanders seems to think that as long as you have economic equality everything else will magically fall into place and we'll turn into this rainbow land of unicorns and dreams and lol that will never happen without first dealing with the very real structural and systemic racist issues that are ingrained within the American fabric

Hillary is after his heart*. They both used broad rhetoric that appealed to emotions, with constant reminders that the way out would not be an easy one. They both promised a land of unicorns. The only difference I see is that Bernie wanted to take gambles that would appeal broadly and Hillary was just a Judas goat for her special interests. Clinton showed no love of poor people, middle class people or minorities. She only cared about her narrowest constituency - big donors.

Are you suggesting that anything short of divine intervention would just whoosh racism away?

*in tactics.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ron Darling posted:

No but I do see in the current undertow of progressivism a sort of benevolent racism, wherein the white people are going to give these policies to the minorities that would supposedly lift them up without dealing with the exposed raw nerves underneath. I'm not saying that this is all current progressivism, but I'm seeing it crop up here and there. I'm also peeved that every time Bernie candidates lose they always fall back on the old VOTER FRAUD canard instead of looking at their own candidates and nominating someone who's acceptable to everyone
Democrats usually call "voter fraud" when election booths are closed early or the guy who manufactures the voting machines has pledged his support for George W. Bush. Republicans are the ones who just use it interchangably with "mexicans". If it's fraud, it's fraud. There was a Trump supporter who got arrested in TX for voting twice. He claimed "he wanted to make sure the system worked."

Ron Darling posted:

I'm not a bernie person, and while yes I did vote for Clinton I'm infuriated she won't take any personal responsibility for her loss in this because it always comes down to the candidate, win or lose. My problem is this: if Bernie had won and failed to implement like, anything, then what? every time I asked someone about this they'd be all "well we'd just vote in progressives next time" without honestly understanding like any dynamics of midterms. He was some sort of magical panacea that people stuck their hopes to because Obama didn't pan out to their every wish

idk i have feelings on this
My one reason for voting for Bernie is this: his entire political career has been consistently leftist. I do not believe he would renege on his promises. He counts on his word for support and his record is the reason for his momentum and his close race with Hillary (until superdelegates and the media stopped him - "democrats" my rear end). I firmly believe he would have made Trump look ridiculous and expose his complete insincerity.

As for Obama, he cut his teeth making compromises. He was the perfect company man. A great smile, a strong demagogue and a great grasp of politics. I thought he might be more of a Jimmy Carter. Making that comparison later on in life gives it fresh meaning.

Bernie's candidacy might have changed broader elections. He may have met better terms in Congress, since we also know Clinton left the Rust Belt high and dry. Yes, I do think Sanders would have made some good changes. If you stand up and say "I am for free healthcare" "I am for free school" "I am for better wages" and you MEAN IT instead of dropping it like dead-weight on day one, your enemies are going to look pretty bad for stymieing you.

But that's just digression. All we can do now is mitigate Trumps damage and try to get the Democrats moving left. Although:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Spoiler alert: it's not going to reform. RIP
Might be sadly true.

a bone to pick posted:

That is how effective media propaganda is, the "berniebros" and "white candidate" narratives carry on to this day, people still think Jill Stein is anti-vaxx too.

every station that pushed these narratives should be sued for slander and interfering with the election.
So every station.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Yes.

vvv I think you're saying the same thing.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 23, 2017

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Tallgeese posted:

I'm not so sure that's the right word, given what a certain Hillary R. Clinton spent to lose.

Celebrity endorsements aren't cheap.

• Locked thread