Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

All of the little low-wing Pipers are that way too. My instructor had a kitchen egg timer in his flight bag for when he was in those planes.

I'm surprised that a Cirrus doesn't have a cross feed and balancer, though. Just who do they think this plane is for??

the Cherokee I fly has left right and off, but also off doesn't work, as tested on the ground :psyduck:

the 2 gps in there do the switch tank reminders, which is handy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
One of the techniques is "selector always stays on the same side as the minute hand of your watch"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Two Kings posted:

It was speculated John Denver died in his crash because of his unfamiliarity with the tanks of his new Long-EZ.

More than speculation, really. Unfamiliarity played a role, but more important (imo) was the way the idiot builder of the Long-EZ relocated the fuel selector switch from where Rutan put it to an incredibly un-ergonomic location, resulting in an airplane that would try to loving kill you if you had to use it in flight. The other major factors were Denver declining to add fuel that day (possibly because the idiot builder also had put in unergonomic and unlabelled fuel gauges which may have misled Denver to think the tanks had more fuel than they really did), and when the incident happened it was at under 500 feet because Denver was doing touch and goes.

NTSB posted:

The pilot had recently purchased the experimental, amateur-built Long-EZ airplane, which had a fuel system that differed from the designer's plans. The original builder had modified the fuel system by relocating the fuel selector handle from a position between the front pilot's legs to a position behind & above his (or her) left shoulder. There were no markings for the operating positions of the fuel selector handle, which were up (for off), down (for the right tank), and to the right (for the left tank).
[...]
The fuel selector valve was found in an intermediate position, about 1/3 open between the engine feed line and the right tank, and about 2-4% open to the left tank.
[...]
Conditions were simulated using another Long-EZ to evaluate the maneuver required to switch tanks from the front seat. The simulation revealed that 4 actions were required to change the fuel selector in flight: 1) Remove pilot's hand from the control stick; 2) Loosen shoulder harness; 3) Rotate upper body to the extreme left to reach the fuel selector handle; & 4) Rotate the handle to a non-marked (not logically oriented) position. During the evaluation, investigators noted a natural reaction for the pilot's right foot to depress the right rudder pedal when turning in the seat to reach the fuel selector handle. With the right rudder depressed in flight, the airplane would pitch up slightly & bank to the right.

The pilot who checked Denver out in the airplane said he'd simulated changing tanks on the ground, and thought it was such a bad idea that he took pains to never be in a position to need to do it in flight. Two other people who'd piloted the accident airplane reported "nearly catastrophic consequences" after inadvertently running a tank dry - it wasn't even the first time N555JD tried to kill its pilot.

Some more terrible details from the NTSB report: Denver discussed these issues with an A&P technician before flying that day, and they even tried to brainstorm ways to make it easier to reach the lever (like attaching a Vise-Grip to it, but that didn't work). They also had to come up with a makeshift way (a mirror on a pole) for him to be able to see the fuel gauges in flight at all, because they were located in a terrible place that was not easy to see from the pilot's position.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Sitting at LIH on a delay and in the last hour I’ve watched 4 women charge straight into the men’s restroom. Do people’s brains just shut off at the airport?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I had a checkout at the club in a Piper* Sports Cruiser Friday. It's a neat little plane that handles really nicely in the air, it needs not at all any more force to steer than playing with a computer joystick. Glass cockpit, too. Visibility is kinda meh though due to the low wing and big nose, and my 5 foot 7 rear end is almost too short to reach the pedal. Flipside: it's extremely roomy. If you want two adults and full fuel, it better be two petite adults, because payload is minimal. Not like you could bring much baggage anyway, because the baggage compartments are in the wings, and you need to remove like a dozen of screws to access a compartment that fits a grocery bag. But overall it's a very enjoyable machine. Really, really zippy. And perhaps most importantly, it's the cheapest among the club fleet so I might actually be able to afford flying it.

There are three things I don't like about it: first, it's my first time flying a Rotax. And I don't know if all Rotax engines are like this, but this one seems to have a really weird power curve: at low and max power it is almost binary so that the tiniest movement of the throttle can be too much, and in the cruise range that occupies 80% of the movement, you hardly feel any impact. Second, not having nose-wheel steering sucks majorly. Yeah I can keep it on the taxiway but using wheelbrakes on the runway feels so loving weird. When I was doing a couple of patterns I was seriously afraid I'd just shoot off into the grass. Third, seems to give very little indication of a stall. Doesn't have a stall warning, the glass cockpit doesn't yell at you, but most importantly it feels completely under control and smooth until it just suddenly drops. The stall speed is very low (low 30s) and it recovers quickly, but still, that's several slices cheese of the Swiss Cheese model if accident causation right there.

*Not actually a Piper, but a European type that was marketed as a Piper in some markets -- idk, I read the story, found it confusing, and forgot about it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CFI and student in Kentucky went in a couple days ago due to severe thunderstorms.

CFI posted through it:
https://twitter.com/aviationbrk/status/1707761722398802303?t=9Ab__-63xjPtftvcXeqTxg&s=19

So, so much wrong here.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

CBJSprague24 posted:

CFI and student in Kentucky went in a couple days ago due to severe thunderstorms.

CFI posted through it:
https://twitter.com/aviationbrk/status/1707761722398802303?t=9Ab__-63xjPtftvcXeqTxg&s=19

So, so much wrong here.

https://www.flyingmag.com/death-by-time-builder/

Normally I don’t care reading beyond the Jumpseat column but their CFI-in-residence had an excellent breakdown on this

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I liked a lot of points in the article but this one bugs me:

quote:

Is This One Age Related?

It has been suggested that age is a factor in this event. How mature were you at 22? Were you starting a business? Going to school? Still living off Mom and Dad? Starting a career? Trying to find a career? Maturity at any age runs the gamut.

Grrrr young people!

Get the gently caress out of here with that. I think him using Snapchat was more likely at 22 but being an immature bad pilot because of his age? Psssh, I’ve known way more stupid shithead pilots in their 50’s than 20’s. How many times have you had to hear from some lunatic about Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, BLM, etc while below 10,000 feet? They’d be all over Snap with their poo poo if they got further into tech than opening Candy Crush.

Kinda feels like a slap in the face considering how hard I was trying to be a good instructor in my early 20’s and the students I had who were even younger and hungrier to learn than I was.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rolo posted:

I liked a lot of points in the article but this one bugs me:

Grrrr young people!

Get the gently caress out of here with that. I think him using Snapchat was more likely at 22 but being an immature bad pilot because of his age? Psssh, I’ve known way more stupid shithead pilots in their 50’s than 20’s. How many times have you had to hear from some lunatic about Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, BLM, etc while below 10,000 feet? They’d be all over Snap with their poo poo if they got further into tech than opening Candy Crush.

Kinda feels like a slap in the face considering how hard I was trying to be a good instructor in my early 20’s and the students I had who were even younger and hungrier to learn than I was.

Read the next 2 paragraphs:

quote:

While there is a numeric quality to maturity, it very much depends on the person. There is no maturity test for flight instructors, which is unfortunate since, although it is an entry level position to a flying career, the stakes are quite high.

There are 18- to 20-somethings who work as CFIs as a means of building their hours and are good teachers.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I did but why even say the first part if you’re just gonna walk it back.

I probably just need a nap, these old bones get mighty triggered sometimes :corsair:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Just take a bite of your cheese block and you'll be right as rain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah idk about the age comment. Yes, it's true that young people can be reckless and ignorant; many people in here are CFIs and I am a college professor so we both know this quite well. But a conscientious young person can make up for their inexperience through carefulness and dedication. I've had 21-year-old students where I felt comfortable tossing them the keys to the machine shop and going home, and other 21-year-old students who I wouldn't turn my back on if I had eyes in my rear end. You can't paint them all with the same brush.

It's also true that your reflexes are sharpest when you're young, your eyesight and hearing are memory are the best, you're generally in your best physical shape, and so on. Who was it in here who had the middle-aged CFI who was obese and apneic and would nod off during steep turns?

Best to just say some people are lovely fuckin teachers (and in this guy's case a lovely fuckin pilot too, failing to make the call to abort) and it would be nice if there were a way to keep them from getting in these positions.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There’s a simple solution here.

1500hr requirement for CFI.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I just think giant pilot mills specifically need more oversight, either from within or the feds.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

MrYenko posted:

And 40 years of age, so they're mature.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

cigaw posted:

I'm gonna prove this hella wrong in a couple years.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Lost a CFI and a kid from my company to a crash the other night, the other occupant (also one of our airline flight academy students) is still alive and in critical condition. Nobody older than 22 in this case too. Very sad.

https://www.wivb.com/news/national/two-people-killed-after-plane-crashes-into-oregon-home/amp/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

I wouldn’t be opposed to 500hr for CFI

and lower the total time requirement for restricted atp to 750

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Lost a CFI and a kid from my company to a crash the other night, the other occupant (also one of our airline flight academy students) is still alive and in critical condition. Nobody older than 22 in this case too. Very sad.

https://www.wivb.com/news/national/two-people-killed-after-plane-crashes-into-oregon-home/amp/

Jesus Christ, I'm so sorry.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It’s really sad, poor kids. I heard from a coworker that the girl who survived is stable and conscious in the hospital so that’s good at least. She’s really banged up though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

I wouldn’t be opposed to 500hr for CFI

Canada's system is pretty good. You can start pretty early, but until you prove you know what you're doing, you're under very close supervision, sort of like an apprenticeship. If you start at 500 hours, those extra hours you spent not-instructing aren't going to make you any better at instructing. The question is: how do we take new instructors, at any TT, and make them effective, safe instructors quickly?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
We need a much more standardized objective criteria for PPL level instructing, the ACS is far too open ended and allows for lots of wild west nonsense.

Rote knowledge is the absolute bane of my existence.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aviation Megathread 10: It’s going to be all rote

Changed my mind.

Aviation Megathread 10: The kids are all rote

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

this is excellent :hmmyes:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Actually since AWSEFT is MIA what’s everyone’s thought on starting a new thread?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m just honored I got to name this one.

I say yeah sure let’s do it.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

Canada's system is pretty good. You can start pretty early, but until you prove you know what you're doing, you're under very close supervision, sort of like an apprenticeship. If you start at 500 hours, those extra hours you spent not-instructing aren't going to make you any better at instructing. The question is: how do we take new instructors, at any TT, and make them effective, safe instructors quickly?
From what you've described about the Canadian system in the past, it really seems to add a great layer of oversight and training for new instructors. It's be great if the FAA could institute something like that.

MrYenko posted:

Aviation Megathread 10: It’s going to be all rote

Changed my mind.

Aviation Megathread 10: NTSB Report - That's all she rote

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrYenko posted:

cigaw posted:

Paging Sully to Twitter with some gibberish about pilot quality and safety of flight, which scares John Q. Public and pulls the ladder up for Boomers even more.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

We had one with a forced landing a few years ago and, even though they both walked away, still messed me up for a bit. I'm sorry there wasn't a better outcome here.

E- as for those time-building alternatives to being a CFI:

quote:

The threat of litigation is real. Since July, Southern has filed roughly 80 lawsuits against pilots who left the company, accusing them of breach of contract and “unjust enrichment,” according to a review of Florida court records. The Palm Beach-based airline has only a few dozen aircraft and around 300 pilots.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/southern-airways-express-pilots_n_651ee853e4b0bfc227bf9b9d

Key Lime also has a similar lawsuit going on.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 6, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cigaw posted:

From what you've described about the Canadian system in the past, it really seems to add a great layer of oversight and training for new instructors. It's be great if the FAA could institute something like that.

Yeah, and now as a class 2, meaning I can supervise, it's been really rewarding because you get to have these daily discussions with the new instructors about what they've struggled with, what they've found that's worked well, and overall I think it strengthens the whole flight training unit.

Of course, you only get out of it what you put into it. If you have an instructor who treats direct supervision as an imposition rather than an opportunity to build experience beyond hours, or if you have a flight training unit where the supervision is half-assed (and, of note, there's minimal requirements for what "direct supervision" entails, per Transport Canada), then it doesn't fulfill its goal, and that comes down to the employer and the instructors involved as much as anything.

At the end of the day, flight training as an industry is on shaky loving ground as long as it's treated like a stepping stone rather than a career, and that holds true regardless of the system. It's fixable, but it requires investment from the stakeholders who are going to suffer from it turning into complete poo poo. It's not yet reached that point, not here at least, but that day is coming sooner than a lot of people would like.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

e.pilot posted:

Actually since AWSEFT is MIA what’s everyone’s thought on starting a new thread?

I’m all for it. I floated the idea a few months back but it never went anywhere.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ll start working on a new one tonight

anyone that has any new ratings or type updates post them here so the first couple pages of the new thread won’t be shitted up by updates

I’ll request this thread get locked in a week

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 7, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

anyone that has any new ratings or type updates post them here so the first couple pages of the new thread won’t be shitted up by updates

CPL ASEL/AMEL / Group 1 Instrument Rating / Class 2 Instructor Rating / Implied CFII/MEI per the differences between Canadian and US regs

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Probably a bit cheeky to list 737 yet, but I'll hit you up in a couple of weeks

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

e.pilot posted:

drat mine’s old
KSNA - ATP CFI/I/MEI C500 C56X types

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
new thread
:siren::siren: :siren:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4043724:siren::siren::siren:

I’ll update the first post a bit later tonight, and get the ratings done as well

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 7, 2023

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Updated types: KDTW - ATP CL65 CL30 BBD700

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Canada/USA/Kenya - PP, glider, hot-air CPL, RPAS, Dispatch.

Italics are additions for me.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

USA - Dispatch

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

e.pilot posted:

I’ll request this thread get locked in a week

PHNL - ATP CFI/CFII/MEI CE-525S ERJ-170/190 A330

cigaw fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
I got my PPL a couple weeks ago. Not important for the new thread or anything, I just like saying it :)