Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ever try to do a landing in a high crosswind have your lift drop off right at the flare and then pick right up and blow you off the runway after plopping you down right of the centerline so you hit a runway light and leave a golf ball sized sent in the flap and then have to sit there in the grass waiting for a tow back on to the runway?

Because I have :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Aw. You dinged your first plane. It happens. Glad you're ok.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

The same thing happened to my dad when he was getting his insurance checkout in an AA-5 we'd just bought a share of. I was falling asleep in the back when all the sudden there's a bang and the ELT starts shrieking at us. He'd taken out 3 lights with the skid plate on the tail. That was about 10 years ago, and I still haven't let him live it down. Something about a ~10k hour pilot loving up in a piston single seems like a worthy thing to rib him over. I also find it strange that the insurance company was cool with a CFI that had zero time in type giving the checkout, but whatever.

As long as we're telling plane bending stories, I've got two, both in that AA-5. The first is pretty loving stupid. It had electrical problems all the time. We had just put in our 3rd battery (in about 2 years) and had started using a battery tender to try to keep it alive longer. My dad asks me to crank the engine to see if the battery tender has made a difference. At this point, it's important to note that the AA-5 has a castering nosewheel and that we pushed the plane into the hanger backwards, and this particular plane has wheel pants. I crank, and the prop proceeds to try to cut the tail end of the wheel pant off. Good job us. Thankfully, there was no damage to the engine or prop, and a new wheel pant wasn't that expensive.

The second wasn't really my fault, but was much more exciting. We were flying it back from an annual. I fly one of the best approaches of my life into a buttery landing. As we start to slow and the nosewheel comes down, we hear a bang, then a crunch, then some loud rear end scraping. I do my best to keep the weight off the nosewheel, but we were pretty slow at that point, so I turn to differential braking to get as close to a taxiway as we can. Once we come to a full stop we shut her down and hop out to see the damage. Our shiny new nosewheel pant is turbo hosed, with about an inch ground off the bottom, the wheel is kinked up in there as well, with the same amount ground off it. We drag the fucker off the runway and resign ourselves to doing the same to get it to our hangar. Luckily one of the other residents of the field saw/heard our landing and came out with his powered tug. We brought him a case of beer and a couple fine cigars for his help, wound up hangar flying with that guy quite a bit, cool dude. Anyway it turns out our mechanic hadn't wired the nose wheel axle and the nut had fallen off on the arduous 15 mile flight back home. He flew out the next day and fixed it free of charge, no idea how he got a wheel pant painted in our colors and onto our plane that fast, but he did. Again, we lucked out in that there was no prop strike, and the nosewheel strut wasn't damaged.

If I recall correctly, I had about 10 hours when that landing happened.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya I'm a bit rattled and annoyed because well that sucked and also I'm not enjoying flying nearly as much this year as I was last year and in some ways it feels like a huge waste to keep going.

But then again I'm so close to being done and my wife and a bunch of others want me to finish and everyone says that flying is what finally turned my life and attitude around and it'd be a shame to just quit.

But tbh I have like another grand or so worth of flying to do and I'm just kinda not as enthusiastic about it.

EDIT: poo poo probably closer to two or three.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 11, 2017

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Finish it or you will regret it in the future. I know many people who do. You'll feel a great deal of self fulfillment once you are done.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It's also a lot easier to finish it and not use it for a few years and get current again than it is to get almost to the end, and not do anything for a few years before trying to pick it back up and finish.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Seconding those guys, literally the proudest day of my life was the day I passed my checkride. If you're getting tired of bug smashing, go get a 100$ hamburger or something. Even if you're not solo XC yet, I'm sure your instructor wouldn't mind a leisurely afternoon getting paid to go get lunch.

Also, if your wife is onboard with you finishing then you're basically the luckiest dude in aviation.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Seriously, gather some inner strength to get the motivation to finish it. I know people who have hosed up far worse than you and are now Delta pilots, if that means anything to you. Once you finish it you will come here to thank us for encouraging you. If you don't finish it, you will always be the "I trained to be a pilot and have xx many hours but I didn't finish" guy with the inner sadness that always depresses me.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Looking at the TSA budget, even if we generously assume they've prevented a 9/11 every single year it still makes more sense to let the poo poo hit the tower

E: Specifically, if there's a way to prevent 3000 deaths for less than $2.53m apiece we should totally do that instead

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 11, 2017

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

EvilJoven posted:

Ever try to do a landing in a high crosswind have your lift drop off right at the flare and then pick right up and blow you off the runway after plopping you down right of the centerline so you hit a runway light and leave a golf ball sized sent in the flap and then have to sit there in the grass waiting for a tow back on to the runway?

Because I have :smith:

Still not a total gently caress-up

At least it was a runway - and you didn't have passengers:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...NG-airport.html

NB There but for the Grace of God go I
NB 2 The taxiways in that part of the world are marked as Back-Up runways... most are still labelled L/R even though one is a taxiway
NB 3 on a check flight I landed at an airport non-radio because we managed to lose the frequency- had to go around as a microlight decided to join straight on top of us - and yes I know the law but... I'd rather be late than dead on time

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 11, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Ferret King posted:

Aw. You dinged your first plane. It happens. Glad you're ok.

Animal posted:

Finish it or you will regret it in the future. I know many people who do. You'll feel a great deal of self fulfillment once you are done.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

Looking at the TSA budget, even if we generously assume they've prevented a 9/11 every single year it still makes more sense to let the poo poo hit the tower

E: Specifically, if there's a way to prevent 3000 deaths for less than $2.53m apiece we should totally do that instead

jfc

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

shame on an IGA posted:

Wait what

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Animal posted:

I know people who have hosed up far worse than you and are now Delta pilots, if that means anything to you.

"Tier 1 candidates", lmao

shame on an IGA posted:

:wow:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

Wait what

For certain types of analysis the government puts a price tag on the cost of a human life when comparing it to how much something costs (ie, this will save 100 lives so its worth 300 million dollars or whatever).

Those numbers can always be misused in impressive ways.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya the thing is this has nothing to do with my little mishap.

The thing is I don't make a lot of money, I have other expensive hobbies I enjoy, and even before this mishap and being hit by a car on my bike and all the other things that have heaped a ton of annoyances on my life that got me all stressed out... when I got back into the cockpit this year my reaction was 'meh'.

Like this weekend. I spent all day at the school doing study and ground work and did a practice exam. And it all felt like work. Even being in the cockpit feels like work. I'm paying about 140 an hour wet and 225 an hour if I go up with an instructor to do something that doesn't feel fun anymore.

But you're all right that I may regret quitting down the line.

gently caress, IDK what to do. If I had more time in my life to enjoy the things I like and more money to do it with this wouldn't be such a problem.

Also I'm not the only person who's had a really poo poo landing at that airport this weekend. After my practice exam I was supposed to go flying but it was another gusty day. Not as bad as yesterday and well within my limits... until someone landed an amphibious Caravan with the wheels up. Now 31 is closed all day and the crosswind is so bad on the new active that some people are barely making it in, nobody's really taking off and some are even having to divert.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Being in pre-flight-test mode is awful. There's a reason I did my flight test on what turned out to be a lovely, bumpy day, after a whole bunch of things had already gone awry to the point we were leaving two hours late, and it wasn't because I wanted to show off -- I wanted that poo poo to be over with, because it's stressful, expensive, and generally poo poo.

Once you have that done, though... you never have to fly again if you don't want to, but if you feel like it, you can. Take a month off and relax. And if you don't fly for another nine years, like I did, and then decide you want to again, it's still way easier to get current again than it would be to finish off your license after a huge delay.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If you can afford it take a leisurely XC somewhere with your CFI for lunch to relax and enjoy flying for flying's sake. Constantly being in the grind of training and pattern work and practice area gets old fast.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Yeah I was working on getting ready for my checkride too, but then my instructor got hired on at a regional, and I learned I'd be moving across the state in a few months, so spending 1-2k more didn't really make sense. I'll get back to it when it makes sense time and money wise, and I got a lot out of it already.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

it's still way easier to get current again than it would be to finish off your license after a huge delay.

This. Spending $1000+/Mo with no end in sight sucks, but it'd be even worse to walk away now and pretty much waste a decent amount of what you've already spent. 5 or 10 years from now you'll be a good student but a student all the same. Why deal with that when you could bang this out and have a license for the rest of your life that can be reactivated with a few hours dual and a BFR.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya. I'm gonna keep going.

Scary thing though is because of rescheduling my flight test is now Friday of next week.

A 23rd.

Now, I'm not superstitious, except for that loving day of the month. So far most of the cool things and most of the loving terrible things that have happened in my life happen on the 23rd.

So I'm either going to pass my checkride or it's going to really go badly.

EDIT: they usually go poo poo good poo poo good though.

Last 6:

- Got the job where I met my wife.
- Engaged
- Married (not planned btw, that just happened to be the day that worked)
- Lost the job and started the two years of pain and bullshit the flight sim crew knows allll about.
- Bought the best bike I've ever owned.
- Got hit by a car.

So next notable event to fall on a 23rd is gonna be a good one.

EDIT2: oh ya I also got engaged on a 23rd and married on a 23rd. So much for that pattern.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 12, 2017

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Awarded captain upgrade, July 12th class omg omg :D

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Slaughter posted:

Awarded captain upgrade, July 12th class omg omg :D

congrats!!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So: my landing light failed on final. No problem; we practiced landing with no landing light. I land perfectly.

What we didn't practice was taxiing without any sort of landing light or taxi light. That's significantly more of a nerve-wracking challenge. A wee headlamp, though quite enough to have in the cockpit while flying, does next to nothing. Occasionally you might get a lucky reflection off a centerline. Luckily there was another plane arriving right behind me, and they were able to shine some light on the ramp before I ran into anything.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

AWSEFT posted:

Have a great buddy whose dad owned an MU2. He always tells me how awesome an airplane it is and how much he likes it. Years later he told me it was the MU2 that killed his dad.

Something about the how the engine pulled itself to idle, on an approach, because of a faulty ITT sensor. Even with all of his experience it dragged him into the ground.

That being said, I now pilot an airplane shaped computer. A computer that can (and has) killed people.

Yeah engine outs in this thing are no joke, but manageable with practice/training, hence why the accident rate went down so much after the SFAR/Type Rating. You have multiple things going against you in a low-level engine failure. The wing, for one, is tiny, so in order to be able to land at sane speeds they put massive flaps that increase the surface area by 40%; if you retract them immediately as part of your engine failure drill as we are all taught, well you just dumped a massive amount of lift. Conversely if you leave them down, that is a huge amount of drag for one good engine to overcome. So the solution is a new engine failure drill that sets minimum airspeeds for flap retraction from 40/20/5. Similarly, 40 flap approach speeds are well under Vmc, so there has also been a shift in training to just do higher-speed flap-20 approaches to mitigate this. Even in this new higher-speed configuration we can stop on a 3,000' strip without breaking a sweat. Oh and then there is the whole issue of roll-spoilers to add into the mix - don't roll unless you absolutely have to until you've got your airplane cleaned up after an engine failure so as to not destroy much needed lift. So yeah, its weird and squirly and engine-outs need to be practiced.

SCOTLAND posted:

Just curious if they ever fixed or reinstalled the autopilots? Also coming in with that much mpic is great, I couldn't upgrade on the mu2 so I got moved to the king air instead after a year or so.

Yep, all 5 MU2s have functional autopilots. They're not very good but they do work. I find most of the time its easier to just hand-bomb the thing. How long ago did you work here? It's utterly insane up here right now and they cannot staff the airplanes as nobody that has 500mpic is looking for a job. I'm toying with the idea of leaving for the regionals or just asking for a big sack of money to stay a year.

Desi fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 16, 2017

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
This plane sounds like a hoot to fly

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Written exam today. I feel totally unprepared for this. Also the bill for the dent in the plane is going to be less than $200 and I probably don't have to pay for the runway light.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

EvilJoven posted:

Ya. I'm gonna keep going.

Scary thing though is because of rescheduling my flight test is now Friday of next week.

A 23rd.

Now, I'm not superstitious, except for that loving day of the month. So far most of the cool things and most of the loving terrible things that have happened in my life happen on the 23rd.

So I'm either going to pass my checkride or it's going to really go badly.

EDIT: they usually go poo poo good poo poo good though.

Last 6:

- Got the job where I met my wife.
- Engaged
- Married (not planned btw, that just happened to be the day that worked)
- Lost the job and started the two years of pain and bullshit the flight sim crew knows allll about.
- Bought the best bike I've ever owned.
- Got hit by a car.

So next notable event to fall on a 23rd is gonna be a good one.

EDIT2: oh ya I also got engaged on a 23rd and married on a 23rd. So much for that pattern.

Late to the party here, but when I was rapidly losing interest in becoming a professional pilot/continuing training, I knew I had to at least finish Instrument because I was so close to being done that it would've been a shame to stop so close to the finish line. The instrument checkride was miserable, but I felt a massive weight come off my shoulders knowing I'd at least followed through. Glad to see you're sticking with it.

And when it comes to dates, my first solo and (passed) Private checkride were both on August 9th. (Out of overthinking, I did the best ever right traffic pattern into a left pattern airport anybody's ever seen on the first try, so...don't do that.)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
88%

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

You studied 18% too hard

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So apparently a Traiblazer crew deadsticked their Beechjet into Buffalo from FL390 with Jennifer Lawrence aboard a few days ago.

Hope they didn't have to buy drinks at the bar. Good job, guys.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

e.pilot posted:

You studied 18% too hard

25.7%

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did my full checkride practice. I would have particalled it because I really sucked at the workflow for a precautionary landing because I'd only ever done it the one time during my training and never practiced since then.

And I stalled entering slow flight (lolwut, first time that's happened ever) because I've actually been practicing slow flight all wrong this entire time; with my flaps up. Apparently once I drop them to 25 it'll be so easy it'll be funny because I've had so much practice doing it in clean config.

Hopefully a little chair flying and a little practice and I'll have a PPL by next weekend.

EDIT: also, for the last couple of days I've been actually enjoying doing airplane things.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 19, 2017

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Did my full checkride practice. I would have particalled it because I really sucked at the workflow for a precautionary landing because I'd only ever done it the one time during my training and never practiced since then.

And I stalled entering slow flight (lolwut, first time that's happened ever) because I've actually been practicing slow flight all wrong this entire time; with my flaps up. Apparently once I drop them to 25 it'll be so easy it'll be funny because I've had so much practice doing it in clean config.

Hopefully a little chair flying and a little practice and I'll have a PPL by next weekend.

EDIT: also, for the last couple of days I've been actually enjoying doing airplane things.

You've got this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Good to hear you're enjoying it again. I think everyone goes through periods where it seems like more work than fun, but at least for me, the fun has always come back at some point.

So I had a new experience tonight: activating the ARCAL system at a large airport with approach lights and poo poo. That was extremely cool looking!

8.4 hours left before I can apply for my CPL... it's getting really close now.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think a big contributor was my job going to poo poo, my bike being totalled by a car and and a few other stupid poo poo things all going on at the same time right when I was trying to knuckle down and study.

But I just got my insurance payout, used it to buy my bike back from the salvage auction and fixed for a pittance... along with another bike off the showroom floor, and the guy mostly responsible for my job going to poo poo getting fired, everything's starting to settle down so I can just chill and fly planes.

Im really having fun with this again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So, question about airports with mandatory frequencies: from everything I've read and heard, when there's no ground station in operation (in Canada, at least), you're meant to join the circuit in the same way you'd do at an uncontrolled airport (i.e. you should join on downwind, not base or straight in), but it's not law that you must do so. Last night when I was flying out of Lethbridge, which usually has a ground station but it was after-hours at this point, there was an airline flight on approach that declared they were joining right base for the runway the wind favoured. In this case, I had just departed, and there was an automated weather observation being broadcast so there was no ambiguity as to which runway to use. In that circumstance, is it acceptable to approach in whichever way you find most convenient? Does it matter that they were probably on an IFR flight plan?

I did the same thing at a different MF airport previously (AWOS available, but no ground station) but I looked it up and it seemed like it was frowned upon.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
IIRC even at MF airports, if it isn't an actual control tower, the people manning the radio are there to advise only. In the end what you do is up to you. Radio procedures are mandatory but you can pick whatever runway you want.

Check out AIM RAC 4.5.2. The buzz words are 'Should' and 'Shall'. 'Should' in the legal aviation sense is 'we really want to you to do it this way but we aren't going to force you' and 'Shall' is 'if you don't do it this way we will loving ground you'

That being said, if you just go in and do whatever the gently caress you want you may hit another airplane and kill them and yourself. So in practice if you treat every 'should' as a 'shall' you're going to be the safer pilot.

EDIT: check this page https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/geninfo-generalinfo-116.htm and look for the section 'Mandatory and Permissive Words'

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 20, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

IIRC even at MF airports, if it isn't an actual control tower, the people manning the radio are there to advise only. In the end what you do is up to you. Radio procedures are mandatory but you can pick whatever runway you want.

Check out AIM RAC 4.5.2. The buzz words are 'Should' and 'Shall'. 'Should' in the legal aviation sense is 'we really want to you to do it this way but we aren't going to force you' and 'Shall' is 'if you don't do it this way we will loving ground you'

That being said, if you just go in and do whatever the gently caress you want you may hit another airplane and kill them and yourself. So in practice if you treat every 'should' as a 'shall' you're going to be the safer pilot.

EDIT: check this page https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/geninfo-generalinfo-116.htm and look for the section 'Mandatory and Permissive Words'

Yeah, that was my understanding, I'm just curious why another aircraft was ignoring the "should" bit. I guess it's a bit harder to fly a circuit in a Beech 1900 than a Cessna. Ultimately it was both safe and legal though, so it's more just for my curiosity than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It was legal. I wouldn't call that safe.

The part about a 1900 being hard to fly is BS. I've performed landings via overhead break in one Flying the notoriously unrealistic Carenado model in FSX.

EDIT: also if there's a published approach procedure IFR guys can be arriving on a straight in or circling approach.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/publications/en/tp11541/pdf/hr/tp11541e.pdf

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 20, 2017