Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just got off a flight into ORD that had to go around twice because both times he plane in front of us struck birds on the runway. The third time a different runway was used. Flight path: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL2552/history/20170628/2230Z/KMSP/KORD

Don't major airports have bird control measures, especially after US air 1549? Or is this type of thing common and it would've just been a stray birds near an airport like O'hare instead of a flock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Most airports do, such as using cannons and other explosives to make noise that scare birds. Some airports fight fire with fire though and use birds of prey to chase other birds away.

From personal experience I usually run into birds near airports at least once per trip, with once nearly smacking a pelican on very short approach (we're talking like 500' from the runway, at about 100' AGL) flying into Norfolk. So yeah, it's uncommon for a random bird or two to get into the way of things and cause go-arounds.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I had a flight at 9:55 out of ORD and when I was tracking the inbound plane I saw they went around but I assumed it was wind shear. I didn't get to see the crew before they left though, but it did land at pretty much the same time

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Probably a previous arrival on the runway not clearing in time. Happens multiple times per day at busy airports.

Other options:

Unstable approach
Birds
Other wildlife on the runway
Crossing traffic not clear in time
Crew wants to pad their hours

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I used to fly through ORD 2 or 4 times a month, and probably once every 6 weeks or so we'd go on the missed due to spacing.. well that's usually what we were told and it always happened when the ceiling was very low.

Edit: Once in an ERJ145 people started to panic a bit because we had been in the clouds for a while and when the pilot started the missed approach procedures it was a little rougher than most people are accustomed to. One guy looked out the window and pointed to the wing saying "look! there are icicles forming on the wing!", which increased the level of panic of those around him.

It was the static dischargers. I explained this but people seemed unconvinced.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 29, 2017

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
So far, every time I've gone around has been due to the airplane ahead of me deciding that "Maintain 170 'till FINKA" is just too complicated to follow.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

I used to fly through ORD 2 or 4 times a month, and probably once every 6 weeks or so we'd go on the missed due to spacing.. well that's usually what we were told and it always happened when the ceiling was very low.

Edit: Once in an ERJ145 people started to panic a bit because we had been in the clouds for a while and when the pilot started the missed approach procedures it was a little rougher than most people are accustomed to. One guy looked out the window and pointed to the wing saying "look! there are icicles forming on the wing!", which increased the level of panic of those around him.

It was the static dischargers. I explained this but people seemed unconvinced.

Being based here for just over a year I've only had to do it once. I think it was an Air Choice One Caravan in front of us

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Saw this flying over near Pax River Airfield in Maryland but can't identify it. Closest I've seen was a NASA test craft that hasn't flown in a decade. Any ideas?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaled_Composites_Proteus

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there an updated list of low-average-high corporate jet salaries? Like this but not 5 years old:

http://www.safetystanddown.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Salary-study-6-12-lyt_June.pdf

I got a type, moved into the left seat, am acting as PIC and I've been at my company just over a year. I'm thinking of asking for a bump.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Someone at SCF is having a really awful day:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Is there an updated list of low-average-high corporate jet salaries? Like this but not 5 years old:

http://www.safetystanddown.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Salary-study-6-12-lyt_June.pdf

I got a type, moved into the left seat, am acting as PIC and I've been at my company just over a year. I'm thinking of asking for a bump.

You can use this, but hold your nose while you do. This year's Pro Pilot survey is reportedly about 15-20% low - at least in large-cabin jets. I personally know half a dozen pilots who submitted their salaries for this year's survey and the magazine left their submissions out of the results. I know my 7X pay is 13% higher than the top pay listed, but I loving hate Murray Smith and Pro Pilot magazine with a passion so I don't participate anymore.

Use your network to figure out how much your peers are being paid. The Stanton and NBAA surveys aren't much more accurate these days, as corporate pilot salaries are going up about 7-15% per year - depending on size and location. I left my last job for a big pay bump, but the new gig was extremely NOT a good fit. I was heavily recruited by the place I had left and just went back last week for about 50 large more than I was making there four months ago.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

Captain C.B. Sully Sullenberger
51 mins ·

The U.S. Senators on the Commerce Committee yesterday passed an amendment to the FAA Reauthorization Bill that would weaken critically important pilot experience safety standards put in place after the tragic and preventable crash of Continental 3407 in Buffalo in February 2009. The amendment passed in a party line vote 14 to 13, with all Republicans voting for the amendment to weaken pilot safety standards and all Democrats voting to preserve them. This action by Republicans puts them on the wrong side of safety, of logic, of evidence, and of history.

I learned to fly over 50 years ago. The Wright brothers first flew 114 years ago. So, I have been a part of aviation for 44% of its entire history.

In aviation, we have learned important lessons at great cost, literally bought with the blood of dead passengers and crews. And those of us in aviation know that we have an obligation not to forget and have to relearn these important and costly lessons.

Those who support this effort to weaken critically important safety standards may not have forgotten the important lessons of Flight 3407, but think it too inconvenient to remember them.

Can somebody tell me what the amendment contains so I don't have to try and decipher from the senile old man shaking his cane on his porch at YOU drat KIDS and has gotten to where he's criticizing lobbyists in spite of essentially being one himself?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I can't find the actual text of the amendment anywhere, but The Hill described it as something that would "allow pilots to receive training credit through alternative means, as long as the FAA deems it to be safe".

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ausgezeichnet posted:

You can use this, but hold your nose while you do. This year's Pro Pilot survey is reportedly about 15-20% low - at least in large-cabin jets. I personally know half a dozen pilots who submitted their salaries for this year's survey and the magazine left their submissions out of the results. I know my 7X pay is 13% higher than the top pay listed, but I loving hate Murray Smith and Pro Pilot magazine with a passion so I don't participate anymore.

Use your network to figure out how much your peers are being paid. The Stanton and NBAA surveys aren't much more accurate these days, as corporate pilot salaries are going up about 7-15% per year - depending on size and location. I left my last job for a big pay bump, but the new gig was extremely NOT a good fit. I was heavily recruited by the place I had left and just went back last week for about 50 large more than I was making there four months ago.

Any objections to me straight up dropping numbers here, or is it not good thread etiquette? I absolutely don't want to go to any aviation forum.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/06/30/horizon_air_is_canceling_hundreds_of_flights_because_of_the_pilot_shortage.html

Nice to see an article calling out airline management for a self-inflicted pilot shortage.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Any objections to me straight up dropping numbers here, or is it not good thread etiquette? I absolutely don't want to go to any aviation forum.

Fine with me. What are you flying, where is the job located and what kind of experience do you have?

If you're flying pt 135 (I think I remember that you are), upward pressure on salaries is delayed compared to pt 91 positions. Seriously, the only effective upward salary pressure I've seen in pt 135 comes when people leave and can't be replaced. In pt 91, if the boss likes you and is comfortable with your presence you can usually negotiate about a 10% increase per year.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

This article warms my cold, black, trade-unionist heart.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ausgezeichnet posted:

Fine with me. What are you flying, where is the job located and what kind of experience do you have?

If you're flying pt 135 (I think I remember that you are), upward pressure on salaries is delayed compared to pt 91 positions. Seriously, the only effective upward salary pressure I've seen in pt 135 comes when people leave and can't be replaced. In pt 91, if the boss likes you and is comfortable with your presence you can usually negotiate about a 10% increase per year.

It's a part 91 operation in the SE USA. Quality of life is good, management is both very cool and professional, but the cost of living here is very high. I'm PIC type rated in a CJ2 as of 2 weeks ago (:toot:) and I've been there 13 months.

The only negative kicker going against me is that I only have about 1400 total flight time, 900 being turbojet because I spent a year working for flight safety, racking up 500+ hours in a level D sim, so I got into jets early and I'm left seating now. I'm making 50k.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Meanwhile everyone at my company is in a giddy panic because we'll probably pick up the slack until QX gets all of their ERJ 175s online :stonklol:

I couldn't agree more about the paragraph summarizing the self-inflicted wounds the airlines created regarding labor, however.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

It's a part 91 operation in the SE USA. Quality of life is good, management is both very cool and professional, but the cost of living here is very high. I'm PIC type rated in a CJ2 as of 2 weeks ago (:toot:) and I've been there 13 months.

The only negative kicker going against me is that I only have about 1400 total flight time, 900 being turbojet because I spent a year working for flight safety, racking up 500+ hours in a level D sim, so I got into jets early and I'm left seating now. I'm making 50k.

50k seems awfully low. Your level of experience and recent type (which I hope the company paid for) isn't going to offer you much leverage, but you should be able to draw at least 70k. Like I said, the PP salary survey skews abnormally low and their average pay for your type is 72k. Are you single pilot in the CJ2? That's a plus. Are you in a high-cost area that isn't south of Orlando? That's a plus. Did you power straight through your type training without issue? That's a plus.

Conversely, are you based in Miami? That's a minus. Are the rest of the pilots at your company equally underpaid? That's a minus.

If you answer directly to the principal, I'd put together a package with a couple of the big pilot compensation survey numbers for your position (you can probably find a fairly recent NBAA survey using Google-Fu) and some government or well respected website cost of living data for your metropolitan area. Express to him/her how much you like working for him/her and want to make a long term commitment to the company, but you're choking on the local cost of living and the company's modest pay. Ask to at least be brought up to the PP average.The worst that can happen is that they say no... well, actually they could get pissed and fire you the next day. If you are valued by them, though, that won't happen.

If you report to a Chief Pilot or Lead, the layer of insulation from the person who approves raises is somewhat problematic. One useful bit of leverage in situations like these is reminding the CP that if pay for the underlings goes up, their pay should go up as well. This is only useful if your CP isn't one of the South Florida aviation losers who measures his value by how many pennies he saves for a billionaire... at the expense of everything else.

As in any negotiation, the ultimate leverage is the willingness to walk away from the deal. If I were you I'd casually keep an eye on other, like positions at outfits in your area and be willing to consider leaving your current job to get your pay up to where it should be. There is exactly zero downward pressure on pt 91 salaries these days and a huge pilot shortage is going to explode in the next couple of years. If the pay is really important to you, I'd be willing to walk. If you aren't willing to do this (not being critical, really), use the time before the pt 91 pilot-supply apocalypse to punch up your resume. Get the ATP. Finish your degree if you don't have one. Get a Masters degree, especially if your company will pay for it. Get 1000 PIC turbine, pronto. Network like your career depended on it - it does. Meet other pilots in your area and areas where you might want to relocate to. Be active on responsible pilot forums (I recommend Pro Pilot World - well worth 15 bucks a year or whatever Mark is charging these days). Access NBAA and get on their AirMail job notification service. Register with Jet Professionals (Jet Aviation), EJM and maybe Solairus with your qualifications.

I don't know if you have a family yet or not, but remember that your loyalty is primarily to them, not the company that uses your labor. If you're single, move to where the best paying jobs are - get paid, gently caress bitches, save like a MF for retirement.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Butt Reactor posted:

Most airports do, such as using cannons and other explosives to make noise that scare birds. Some airports fight fire with fire though and use birds of prey to chase other birds away.

From personal experience I usually run into birds near airports at least once per trip, with once nearly smacking a pelican on very short approach (we're talking like 500' from the runway, at about 100' AGL) flying into Norfolk. So yeah, it's uncommon for a random bird or two to get into the way of things and cause go-arounds.

MIA has some propane cannons set up, heard them a bunch when I was hanging out there with a friend for an afternoon.

I'm not sorry for this.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I did spin training 10 years ago when I first started CFI training that I never completed. Now that I'm more than likely looking at a career change in the next couple months I'm going to go back and finish that fucker. Does the spin endorsement expire at any point?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

two_beer_bishes posted:

I did spin training 10 years ago when I first started CFI training that I never completed. Now that I'm more than likely looking at a career change in the next couple months I'm going to go back and finish that fucker. Does the spin endorsement expire at any point?

Nope, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go do it again just to brush up on them.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

two_beer_bishes posted:

You still in New York?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

AWSEFT posted:

You still in New York?

Yeah, for another couple months. My FAA career went CFIT and I don't see that recovering. I washed out of ZNY and they're sending me to Alaska flight service unless the long shot grievance goes through.

e.pilot posted:

Nope, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go do it again just to brush up on them.

I have a friend with a Pitts who does competition flying, I'll be going up with him when I have time. I just didn't want to have to wait for our schedules to line up if I didn't have to.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

azflyboy posted:

So far, every time I've gone around has been due to the airplane ahead of me deciding that "Maintain 170 'till FINKA" is just too complicated to follow.

Remember we all have different SOPs - we have to be on Landing Speed, Configured and engines spooled up before 1000ft, also we have to be gear down by no later than 2000ft (all AGL, if radio is later we can "risk it" but that gets a tea no biscuits meeting)... Finally, other than in a stonking headwind we pretty much have to start reducing/configuring by 7/8 miles or we will not be stable - so we pretty much have to go gently caress everything and slow down. There is a rumour we may end up being changed to being stable by 1500 ft in which case every approach will be fully configured. In fact, last time in Vegas empty we had an approach speed of 120 and had to start reducing at 8 miles as the only way to get in... SouthWest reacted strongly on air to this information...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Then don't accept the speed and not actually do it.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

Then don't accept the speed and not actually do it.

That's what we find funny... we do tell ATC... who don't mind... other pilots do! (Or don't bother to listen)

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Funny day today, picked up an hour of a delay departing because some idiot was flying a drone near the threshold in LGW. Runway shut down, god knows how many aircraft in the stacks and at least 4 or 5 diversions while they got everyone down. Then on the return we got lasered as we turned downwind.
People shouldn't be allowed own stuff like tgat until they've proved they're not dumb.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

People shouldn't be allowed own stuff like tgat until they've proved they're not dumb.

Never is a very long time.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Isn't there a drone register in the US? That delay yesterday combined with work being done on my rail line home made what started out as a nice day into a bit of a slog.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
ATC: I know you're in a CJ2, but I need 300 in the climb.

Me::lol::lol::lol:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

ATC: I know you're in a CJ2, but I need 300 in the climb.

Me::lol::lol::lol:

My favorite is the WestJet 737-600 pulling back to 230kts 100nm from the airport without telling me, and Southwest is ten in trail with the throttles buried somewhere forward of the weather radar.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Isn't there a drone register in the US? That delay yesterday combined with work being done on my rail line home made what started out as a nice day into a bit of a slog.

There was. But the FAA's novel interpretation of laws Congress passed specifically regarding model aircraft means the FAA regulations requiring participation in the registry were struck down by the courts.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fordan posted:

There was. But the FAA's novel interpretation of laws Congress passed specifically regarding model aircraft means the FAA regulations requiring participation in the registry were struck down by the courts.

Careful, if you speak about it too much you'll summon the idiot libertarian drone pilot who was always bitching about how the FAA was infringing on MAH RIGHTS.

Seriously, though, why the the US seem drawn towards always doing the worst version of everything? We have drone regulations in Canada and they're fine, although they do poo poo up the NOTAM pages with tons of warnings about unmanned aerial vehicles in the middle of buttfuck nowhere. I guess that's better than a simpleton flying a drone in the approach path of a busy airport.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MrYenko posted:

My favorite is the WestJet 737-600 pulling back to 230kts 100nm from the airport without telling me, and Southwest is ten in trail with the throttles buried somewhere forward of the weather radar.

This is ORD every day.

ATC: "Goon 1234 say speed"
Goon1234: "320 knots"
ATC: "American 1234 say speed"
AAL1234: "270 knots"
ATC: "Goon1234 maintain 270 knots or less"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

This is ORD every day.

ATC: "Goon 1234 say speed"
Goon1234: "320 knots"
ATC: "American 1234 say speed"
AAL1234: "270 knots"
ATC: "Goon1234 maintain 270 knots or less"

me irl every day going in to DEN in a PC12 at 210

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

PT6A posted:

Careful, if you speak about it too much you'll summon the idiot libertarian [...] pilot who was always bitching about how the FAA was infringing on MAH RIGHTS.
Let's leave Apollo out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

There's also a drone rating now for commercial operations (which, as I found out recently in a discussion, apparently isn't an Airman Certificate). You can either take an online ground school and test or, for the previously-aviation inclined, get current on any of your ratings and fill out the appropriate 8710 form!

...you don't get any operations training, so you may not actually know how to operate something like a quadcopter but, hey, :911:.