Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
Oh hey, new thread. Long time lurker, figured I should add my name to the list.

Foghorn - KGTU ASEL PPL IR

Question: how bad is it getting a ferry permit? I have a PA28-180 whose annual is about to expire and I can't get it to my preferred mechanic (30 minute flight south) before the end of the month. Should I get the ferry permit? Or try a local mechanic instead? I suppose having a local guy is better, but my old mechanic already knows the plane inside and out, rebuilt some of it, and has very easy payment terms.

Also, I realize I should have figured this out ahead of time, but life happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
I've got it based at GTU but my mechanic is over at CVB. I was thinking I would have a CFI buddy fly me back and do an IPC at the same time.

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
I was thinking of going the GTX345 route with ads-b. I just overhauled my gyros so I'm not in a hurry to replace them with glass, plus I kinda like the old school look. Am I making another poor decision with my life?

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

Captain Apollo posted:

Near death experience.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me in my Cherokee 180, hypoxia at low altitude on a long cross country flight. Same cause, same fix. Story here.

You mentioned black oil being an indicator of an imminent engine overhaul. What level are we talking here? My oil gets progressively darker as it goes, but no worse than the Cessna I trained on. Compressions are still 70+, oil consumption is about one quart every 10 hours. Is there anything else I should look for or do? Dangling chicken entrails for signs from the piston ring gods?