Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

EvilJoven posted:

Oh my loving god what the gently caress is wrong with these people?

It was like an 80 year old superstitious chinese peasant, kind of hilarious actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

AWSEFT posted:

Don't forget that you can live anywhere and commute to NY. I live in FL and commute to NY. Yeah it costs me ~$300/m in crash pad but I'm not paying NY income tax (or any state income tax for that matter).

Don't forget about the free time it costs you every month... Commuting on a regional schedule is a really great way to make your life shittier than it has to be

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Two Kings posted:

It is funny to me that the common perception of corporate pilots is that if you ever worked for an airline you can’t fly corporate because of some lack of customer service skills. As if you ever fly a n airliner you lose the ability to load golf bags and get coffee, ice and papers from an underpaid line guy.

That's kind of the friendly spin on why corporate doesn't like to hire ex-airline, but it's really mostly about airline guys being spoiled, entitled, whiny jackasses with very rigid union-trained views on what a work day should look like.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
How can you have an offer at Hawaiian airlines and not know about it? It's a career stop airline

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Oh yeah, sorry I guess this is the aviation thread and not just the pilot thread. I've got a couple of friends that are pilots there and it's a great job, but nonflying jobs I have no idea about.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

e.pilot posted:

I've been commuting for all of three months and I don't know how people do this for entire careers holy poo poo.

It is truly underweighted as a determining factor in your job selection. As long as I am making decent money, no commuting takes huge precedence over my paycheck. Im convinced that a huge part of the pilot misery index is the average pilot’s inability to understand spending multiple days every month getting to and from work is making them miserable.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Since you guys are talking about headsets, I am selling my zulu 2s over in sa-mart for dirt cheap. I'm just working on clearing some stuff out of the house and no longer use them. Buy them if you are a student pilot or flying turboprops!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852033

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Yes incidents will be reported, but it's clearly not pilot fault so you have nothing to worry about. You may not even hear from anyone. It's nothing but a TMAAT story for future interviews.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

e.pilot posted:

It actually was a lot better riding than I was expecting for bumfuck missouri, nice rolling hills, drivers were all super polite, I had a great time other than the humidity basically being 100% on a 90º day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1642827830

Hey man, welcome to the south.... please don’t tell anyone

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Anyone who posts in this thread work at allegiant? Mind PM'ing me if you do?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

simble posted:

There's obviously a difference between dunning kruger idiots and students.

Shaming a student on internet forums won't prevent them from getting killed.

How big of a weenie are you that showing a student common pitfalls that lead to major mistakes via scenario training in a simulator is "shaming"? That's how people learn and remember things, particularly when they are showing patterns of negative behaviors. Fuckin millennials, man.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

MrYenko posted:

Welcome to aviation, where you get to chose between your health and continued employment!

Even after a mentally Ill guy ran a plane full of passengers into a mountain, they still encourage hiding things. Unbelievable

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

fordan posted:

The argument is usually that by banning certain meds/conditions the medical certification process encourages pilots to allow potentially serious conditions to go untreated. In the Germanwings case the pilot was actively in treatment including prescription meds and had a sick note from the doctor saying he was medically unfit to fly (without giving details since that’s barred by German law) but chose to fly and kill himself and his passengers anyways. The only way being in the open about his condition with his employer and regulatory authorities would have changed things would be if he was barred from flying because of his meds/medical condition which I think is the opposite of the point you’re making.

I’m all for more loosening of the FAA’s strict stance on medicals (and BasicMed is a huge step forward for those not looking to fly commercially), but invoking the Germanwings crash doesn’t really make the case for that.

He hid it from his employer in order to keep flying. He was essentially seeking out treatment in secret instead of completely ignoring the problem, which admittedly is slightly better than ignoring it, but it’s still the same result caused by the same bad policy. There have been some strides made regarding alcoholism (HIMS program), and I’m not saying people with potentially dangerous conditions should be allowed to keep flying- just that there should be support systems in place for jobs critical to public safety so people can get help without fear of losing their income. HIMS does this and I have seen it essentially save people, but it really only applies to substance abuse. It is very complicated though.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
So standard of living or "real" purchasing power improved 20% since the 60s... That seems pretty good to me? Certainly doesn't answer the question that was posed in any way.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 26, 2018

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I would also highly recommend staying away from auto parts haulers. THAT SAID, there is almost no better way to force yourself (albeit, dangerously) to become an excellent stick. Royal air is a "good" operator. You will mostly be on the road M-F every week and home on the weekends (unless things have changed, I've been out of the on-demand world for about 7 years now) IFL a so-so operator, but has some better/bigger equipment. Those convair 5800s are fuckin sweet. These ratings are relative to the on-demand industry, they would all be considered "lovely" operators on the entire scale of aviation jobs. You will likely fly more hours at Royal, so if the objective is to get in and get out to a regional with flow or whatever, I would recommend them over IFL. Either way, you will be flying with the Scrappy redneck cowboys of the aviation world, so brace yourself and make sure you have the right disposition to deal with that kind of thing.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

e.pilot posted:

Or if you hate life Key Lime

What I'm about to say is kind of a matter of opinion, but my opinion comes from a background of lots of both single pilot flying and crew flying. I believe, especially in the current flying climate where very low time guys are being hired on in the 135 world, that it is very possible to isolate yourself too much by going to single pilot outfits like ameriflight or key lime (i know the 120 is crew, but the majority is single pilot) when you are paying your dues in aviation.
Aviation has a *ton* of tribal knowledge you have to acquire over time to be good at the job, and you generally absorb that knowledge by flying with people that have been doing it for a long time. I would argue that, on an average boring day on the line, more of your workflow comes from experience and habits built up over time than textbook knowledge. Even if you fly with a crazy person with bad habits, it can be very helpful to see what *not* to do. When you fly by yourself from the get go, you develop your own bad habits and often have no one around to tell you what you're doing wrong. And its not just bad habits, you also miss out on all the little 'tips and tricks' that trickle down through generations of pilots. I've seen a lot of very weak, and outright bizarre, pilot skill sets develop in the single pilot world.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
He was a loser freshly upgraded captain nervously chatting with and trying to look cool for his cute female fo and forgot to pay attention and add power back in, then fully panicked. He was a very poor pilot to start with- 5 checkride busts, 2 of which were at colgan in only a few years. He should have never been turned loose(and management emails later came out that indicated colgan *clearly* knew that as well) it took him like 100hrs to kill a bunch of people. That's kind of harsh, but overanalyzing that crash drives me crazy.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I used to have to ride an a380 from Dubai to Kuwait City, I won't miss that airplane. Like an hour and 45min flight crammed full of 500 locals

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

ausgezeichnet posted:

Sorry, Dude. As statistically safe as aviation is, I don't know anybody who's been flying for a living long that doesn't know several people who died at work in accidents.

It's the 3rd deadliest job behind fishermen and loggers

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

vessbot posted:

With what they've released as of now, every possibility is open. With my fictional details that you quoted, it might point to a cargo shift or control malfunction.

I can pretty much guarantee it wasn't a cargo shift on an Amazon flight

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
It's up to $50k now, it's on their website

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

e.pilot posted:

Jackie_chan_wtf_face.jpg

121 Pilots, as a whole, are the most unselfaware demographic I have ever encountered.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Jealous Cow posted:

So it’s just like wage work where paying everyone at McDonalds at least $15/hr would only raise the price of a Big Mac meal by $0.35 but that would be FILTHY COMMUNISM?

Or like when Papa John cried out that if he had to give health insurance to all his employees he'd have to raise the price of his pizzas by 14 cents

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/papa-johns-john-schnatter-obamacare-pizza-prices/story?id=16962891

This country is insane

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well, that's a thing.

1 plane to start and it's going to be operated for DHL, let's all welcome another shitbag airline to the CVG ghetto

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Absolutely agree with pt6a, make sure everyone knows not to take him up. He is not well and doesn't have any interest in learning how to fly. He like checks every warning box, why would you risk that

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 6, 2019

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Allegiant is an investment in not only an airline, but a base. You don't want to commute on allegiant, but if you want to live in one of their big permanent bases it's probably one of the best jobs in aviation for people that value qol over the biggest paycheck. I commute on them regularly and everyone seems pretty happy (for pilots).

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

NightGyr posted:

I'd imagine most pilots are young and healthy enough that it doesn't show up as anything worse than a cold.

Haha, New thread title

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Sagebrush posted:

Nice clean emergency landing on a highway outside Quebec City this morning

https://i.imgur.com/HhFooHH.mp4

also pictured: Quebec drivers

et voyons quoimanann espèce d'idiot hein? GET OFF DE ROAD, FUK, putain, tellement de bizard *HONK*

Did that guy seriously tailgate an airplane that dropped out of the sky in front of it then swerve around it and continue on?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Its not new when youve been there 30 times. I like visiting new places, but at this point in my career i take the short, easy flights with proper sleep schedule layovers

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

two_beer_bishes posted:

Anyone have info on how things are at ABX? I wouldn't be surprised if I get furloughed in the next few months since I'm at the very bottom of the seniority list at OO, and I have a friend who says he can get me in.

I work there, PM if you want but we arent hiring very many people at all and the resumes are really pouring in. The job itself is ok but our company/union relationship is insane and as a result we have lost a lot of business to our “sister” carrier, have no contract, and our president is a guy who has never done anything positive in the aviation world. Go to ATI if possible, they’ll likely get merged eventually anyways but its way better and more positive over there even though we have “better” work rules. It could all change though and if its your only option it isnt a bad job.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 9, 2020

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

KodiakRS posted:

Good News:

Pilots from our cancelled new hire class in March have been told to expect to be back in class in July.

I dont follow this thread very closely, are you a regional guy? Only way I’d think this is feasible is if another regional is going to get shut down and you guys are going to get the planes and they just havent announced it yet

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Oh, ok that makes sense

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
My favorite boomerkiller is when they inevitably say “sorry if this offends you” or some variant of that, I just say “Id never bother to be offended by any of your bad opinions” and then laugh a *little* too hard. It has a 100% stfu success rate so far

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 21, 2020

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I dont know a lot about paramotors either, but they sell a like hip mounted rocket propelled emergency chute that will fully deploy in like 150ft or something crazy

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Pretty sure they are just testing things and no one intends to take off an airliner like that...

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
ABX has been doing non-CPDLC oceanic crossings at FL270 for at least a year now. A little bit of napkin math says they could have paid for the full FANS upgrade with fuel savings alone (I suspect the customer is paying for the fuel and ABX has sometimes...opaque... techniques for being competitive). We have multiple CPDLC equipped aircraft, and they sometimes do the crossings, but as often as not they are doing like CVG-JFK while one of the nonCPDLC is doing crossings. Efficiency!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Arson Daily posted:

E.pilot are the southern guys going to get your work rules and pay scale? That would be the difference between a yay or nay for me. Atlas vs. Southern was night and day different when I was there and I wouldn't ever recommend going to southern if you were still going to put up with being the B team in an already underpaid part of aviation. Going from a regional to southern seemed like a lateral move at best and didn't seem worth the effort.

Atlas… work rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

e.pilot posted:

The only redeeming thing about CLT is if you have enough time on a layover to get Bojangles

Maybe you mean just the terminal, but if youre talking about the city this is one if the worst opinions ive ever encountered 😂