Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

um excuse me posted:

Ft*lb is a gross unit of energy a lot because it's the same unit as torsional force. Confuses a lot of people for that reason. But to answer the question, you can use that to figure out if the brakes will be large enough simply by knowing a vehicles mass and speed. E=1/2mV^2. If the energy of the vehicle is greater than the energy rating of the brake, you need a bigger brake.

Why should this be a memory item for the pilot of the aircraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xaarman posted:

C-17 4 ship low levels 300' @ 300 KIAS. Won't even get into the SOLL2 missions.
C-130 air drop on NVGs with assault strip landings

C-146 and U-28 missions are generally classified.

C-5s have 26 yr olds in charge of international flights with (multiple) inflight 90k+ lbs of fuel onload.

To call anything C or U related boring seems a bit out of one's lane.

After having done both, you know whats boring? Flying 737s doing an ILS 2x a day. Thankfully, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

To be fair helicopter pilots are crazy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chicago owns though, you should live in Chicago instead of ORD. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Animal posted:

This is true. You also have guys who are great pilots and have paid their dues and then legacy airline HR departments will reject them for the most fickle reasons like “he’s got too much PIC time maybe he’s too set in his ways.” Then they’ll turn around and hire some 26 year old rich kid with only two jobs in his resume.

Speaking of which, I actually have one of these 20-something dudes in my facebook who was genuine bitching that he got assigned the MD88 at Delta. Literally all “I’m grateful for the job BUT I was expecting the 737 this is disappointing but oh well”

I was daydreaming I could telekinesis his smartphone to explode in his eyes

:lol: did that guy know anything about Delta?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AWSEFT posted:

Meanwhile at PSA:

They can only afford one 'r' per word? Things must be really bad!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'd forgotten about Kent Wien, but he seems like he'd be a top quality guy to fly with.

Also, watching that video and seeing all the little quirky, glorious things the Mad Dog can do makes me sadder they'll all probably be gone (at least in the MD-80 form) by 2021, though the magic mirrors watching the compass might be a pain in the dick if you really had to lean on the mag compass itself.

At least Delta's keeping the MD-90s around a while longer.

With Boeing throwing temper tantrums and Trump in the White House it would not surprise me to see Delta flying them well into the 2020s because they can't get the C-series and A321s they ordered.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AWSEFT posted:

Both are being built in the USA. Shouldn't be a problem.

Never underestimate how stupid Trump is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

simble posted:

As long as your number of ups equals your number of downs.

Well, it always will in the end.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

The memory items and checklists are insane.

Max brake energy is 10,841,169 kJ.
Vmca is 82.5 knots.

Is max brake energy ever required anywhere in the procedures?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

simble posted:

I love shaming people who are trying to learn.

That sounds like a pretty important lesson to learn though?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

While it won’t be exactly the same sort of stress, I’m pretty sure that airline pilot is pretty far down the list of jobs that let you stay home a lot.

You go home at the end of a trip, no? So you’d gone a week at a time at most, not months at a time?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

So why are they delivering so few? Just because there are no pilots, or because they're so expensive?

Probably because maintenance requirements for aircraft mean that some massive percentage of every plane they've built is still flying.

The new car market would be pretty hosed if used cars had their engines replaced every 5 years and the body didn't change.

edit: I mean you're flying the very first cessna 152 off the line and its looks all shiny. What do you think a 1977 model year car from detroit that student drivers drove every day would look like?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are the standards for flying through/around thunderstorms different in other countries? Supercells with powerful down bursts that can knock a plane out of the sky are not as common outside the US

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Does the airplane have American or Delta painted on the side?

At least the US aviation industry stopped going anywhere near thunderstorms after those two crashes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Entone posted:

Future Flight out in Princeton, TX is one of the better PPG schools from what I've heard. I'm sorry to hear about your medical. Being out in the open is amazing! Canopy flight can be really rewarding as well. You'll love being on a ppg.

If you'd like to be able to fly a passenger with a fixed wing, you can obtain a private glider pilot license with a self launch endorsement. That can allow you to fly things like a Grob 109b or a Diamond HK36 while having a revoked medical.

The Diamond HK36 seems like a pretty amazing loophole.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Or he just committed suicide.

https://twitter.com/jwsthomson/status/1028134044502908929

Well, maybe?

https://twitter.com/jwsthomson/status/1028137142524891136

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 11, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Very close proximity

https://twitter.com/drbmbdgty/status/1028130383911501824

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Could this be the first time a Q400 went inverted?

https://twitter.com/cameronthomsen/status/1028157648158568448?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

That makes sense. It’s amazing he didn’t kill himself doing the lopsided maneuver he did at such a low altitude. I’m just amazed the thing could handle the Gs he pulled doing it.

I imagine he hit the "must overhaul aircraft if this is hit" g limit but thats different from the "airplane literally falls apart" g limit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cigaw posted:

What are the penalties levied against you if you land on a taxiway like that?

Nothing if you file the NASA report fast enough! :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nuggan posted:

Which state is this, so I can not fly there?

Is this even enforceable?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also while in Covington don't forget to go to the creation museum!

And the aquarium! And uhhhh... I think thats literally it. Oh, theres also parking for walking across a bridge to Bengals/Reds games!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

My previous airline managed to get someone not only hired, not only through training, by golly not only just through IOE, but actually making it TO THE LINE before realizing he didn't have a single engine commercial, just a multi commercial.

That one seems more understandable

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Can't you go straight to a mainline from the military or was that a very brief thing?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

What I'm concerned about is the students who feel like they will be ready for an airline gig at 300 hours. That indicates a dangerous lack of self-awareness. I'm over 400 now and I still don't know jack poo poo; one of our former instructors who's just now upgrading to captain at Georgian admitted he felt the same way even after he'd got his ATPL. Being a safe pilot means realizing you always have new stuff to learn.

How many hours does the typical military transport pilot have when they hop in the right seat?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xaarman posted:

About 180, but the training isn't even remotely close to the civilian side of the fence.

Not looking to start a debate, but USAF pilots are soloing an 1100HP P-51 lite at 14-17 hours.... the infrastructure that allow the students to do that are cost prohibitive to the outside world.

--

I don't know if a solid 1,500 hours is the right number, but I really enjoy being on the plus side of that. I wish there was a more quantifiable way to make quality worth more. Personally, I learned more in one 2 hour military pattern only sortie than I have in 220 hours on the 737.

My point was more that an order of magnitude difference there probably means that congress and the FAA haven't put much thought into it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They both had little experience flying into icing conditions... which clearly doing 1500 hours of pattern work at a flight school in Florida will help with

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is the captain was thinking "the plane is WRONG I can't be in a stall!" or he didn't realize what those systems are and what they do; either way, a big failure of training that goes beyond inexperience with icing conditions.

Which is why the FAA went with "he was fat and didn't have a CPAP" :psyduck:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Normally I'd say that its because his checks clear but apparently you have a waiting list so thats not it?

Is the owner friends with him or his parents or something?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The real question with SeaTac is why Delta started a pissing match with Alaska

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/28/asia/lion-air-plane-crash-intl/index.html

737 Max just went down off the coast of Indonesia. They still claim to be looking for survivors but have so far only found debris. Not a promising sign.

The ADS-B data is scary.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1056758281929154565?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Still, it seems like a total failure of HCI practice that the software doesn't go "hey, you just put in a value that's seventy degrees below what I'm reading as the external temperature. Are you sure that's right?"

Like, if the temperatures disagree that much, then either

a) you hosed up your input
b) you are deliberately messing with the computer to trick it into doing something abnormal, or
c) the sensors are reporting wrong data

and in any of those cases the pilot should be alerted to take extra care.

Also I would love to experience a full-power takeoff at -52C :getin:

I wonder what the record for the LC-130s serving the South Pole station is. Daily mean temperature in March when they stop is -53C.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Hey now, that’s insulting to pieces of poo poo. :v:

It’s poo poo after it hit a turbofan

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

We have many computers on this ship, but they are not networked.

Many fine men lost their lives just because someone wanted a faster computer, to make their job easier.

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

This isn't the first time something like this has happened:

From what I recall they flew all the way into the river with the thrust levers never going above about 50% travel despite the FO obviously having doubts about what was going on.

Did they do that too? I thought it was icing on, well, everything that was the main cause of the wreck

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

Call me cynical, but any time I see "central Florida" in the same sentence, my mind immediately and directly goes to "fraud on a massive scale".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

The Tech thread in D&D has some much good opinions about autopilots and flight directors, let me tell ya!

Did you know that planes can now taxi and take off by themselves? I didn't, but clearly I just don't know as much about flying as fishmech.

Isn't there a drone that can do that now but they have to shut down the entire airport to use it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I found the heading vs course argument with fishmech in YOSPOS amusing at least.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Strange, that flight appears to go from London, ON to YYZ. I figured flight 666 would go to hell, not depart from it.

Its the number of the beast, sometimes he needs to do stuff on earth too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Jesus it’s a Q400 not the Space Shuttle. Three green? Flaps down? Okie dokie!

Space shuttle doesn't have landing procedures like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4cfIyNvts

(its under auto pilot until subsonic)