Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Captain Apollo posted:

...and a 430w and be ads-b compliant (fan USA thing).

We just did this exercise on our club Cherokee 180, and we ended up deciding against the no-longer-in-sale GPS platform. You should do yourself a favor and price out a GTN650, it's amazing how close even a used 430w is in price. (In that the 430w is still worth huge money, almost the retail price of the brand new 650) The price delta between the two for our club plane was about 2k.

Also, if you're going to do this, do it NOW. Or at least get in line now. All the shops in northern California are booked out to September right now for this kind of work. The deadline to claim the ADS-B rebate is also September, +90 days to get the work done.

Edit: We skipped the G5, but that was just because ~money~, otherwise we would have gone that way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Captain Apollo posted:

430w for 6k or an ifd440 for 11. Am I missing something here?

You need WAAS to feed your ADS-B equipment, but if you can find a working, WAAS capable set for 6k, it's more of a toss-up. (Except for the fact that it's end of sale, and therefore probably end of life at some point in the next couple/few/several years - there is some debate over when it will be sunset for real given the huge install base) We were seeing the used market at 8k for a 430w when we looked.

The main thing is that you're going to spend a ton of money on labor to install the thing, and you'll spend it all again when the old equipment retires. How soon that comes back to haunt you is the guessing game you're playing with the old unit.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Anybody have experience with Foreflight on different sized ipads? I want to go for a smaller device but don't want to go too small.

My instructor used a Mini 4 and it was a great size for our Piper Archer II. However, I think I'll take the extra real estate and bump up to the new smaller Pro. Those are the choices, basically. :) There's a good comparison here, you can see that there isn't a huge difference:

https://www.foreflight.com/support/buying-guide/

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Are there any goon flyers/controllers in the KRHV (SF Bay) area? I'm just getting current again, wouldn't mind some recommendations for fun places to go.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I'm thinking about diving into an Instrument Rating (US), does anyone care to recommend materials that were especially good for actually learning it?

I somewhat enjoy the goofy Rod Machado books, but was curious if there was anything new out there for self-study.

Thanks!

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
For anyone that added UAS rating, does the FAA send a new card completely for it? Or should they just add it to an existing card?

Asking because I just got a fresh card but can't call them because of the stupid shutdown.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Thanks, that's a relief to know. Was worried I'd have to do some kind of correction process. Merry Christmas y'all!

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Do folks here have a favorite checklist resource for a BFR? I think I'm caught up on everything required, but would like to be sure. I would like to limit the ground portion to as short of an experience as I safely can.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Precisely so, such a list is exactly what I would be interested in. My current guy does not have one and I'm hoping to just make sure I'm prepared for anything.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Long shot I guess, but are there instructors in the thread in the SF Bay area, South Bay? I'm having a heck of a time doing recurrent training with my existing guy due to scheduling.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

e.pilot posted:

If you have access to a plane I’d happily drive down from Sacramento.

PMed, thank you! I think you might be a nut to consider driving that far, but we can discuss. At least it’s always beautiful down this way compared to my old base @ 3G3.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
If it makes you feel any better, I very nearly failed my first time around by having a head-on collision illusion, pulling power back, and leveling off at pattern -200ft. (I WAS catching up with the guy in front of me hella fast, but not head-on as it appeared.)

OK, that all said - I guess the thread wants me to post, because I have two things to post about now. I'm also in the "get nauseous to the point of horking" club, to which e.pilot can now attest. Exposure is indeed the only way to inoculate yourself to the effects, so if you're like me you'll just have to tough it out until your resistance comes up to meet your interest in flying. I went through a private pilot with this weakness, and if you love it enough, you'll find your way through in time.

Related to that, the only medication that I believe works *while you are NOT PIC* is Bonine/meclizine (generic), as you won't fall asleep immediately. I've found it will still put you to sleep...later. (2-3 hours later? Maybe a bit more) Many others are just practically sleeping pills. Once you are solo/PIC, you can't use this crutch anymore, because the FAA (rightfully) finds it a little too mind altering. If you have an instructor to be PIC, feel free to try it and see how you react. You might warn your instructor that you're doing so if you do.

If you want to look up exercises, the terms are "motion sickness habituation" - basically making yourself sick repeatedly on the ground.

Do eat a small something before you fly, empty is worse than a little, but don't eat a lot. Fruit is great because it mostly comes back up the same if it needs to.

Finally, THANK YOU to e.pilot for a great experience getting back into flying, and coming all the way down south to silly valley at least once. The exposure to someone with so much commercial experience was a real eye opener in being able to fly the aircraft to a higher standard than I previously thought possible.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I have a slightly newer setup with the Bose QC25 and avmike1. It works pretty well with the newer headphones and then hey, extra headphones for normal stuff.

Also got a QT Halo which is great tech, but support can be limited as it appears to be almost a one man shop. The no weight aspect is fantastic, though no ANR of course

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
The shortage is only getting worse in that timeframe, I'm really jealous of today's aviators. When I graduated school first year pay was under 15k so I couldn't see any way to do it and live. Now I think it's back to being a viable career. Pay is the only actual barometer for demand, and it has actually started to climb!

Really though, I love all you folks going pro. Flying with e.pilot was an eye opener for what that level of experience means.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Is there a good accelerated program for instrument rating offered in a structured path without a lot of other overhead? I was interested in the Redbird flight center kind of approach with a lot of enhanced sim time, but they are out of business of course.

Located in the SF Bay but willing to travel since training would be stupid expensive here due to instructor cost being sky high.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

e.pilot posted:

I broke you :getin:

I know some CFIs at my club at MYV that may be interested, we have a sim as well.

e: and a warrior for that matter.

Yeah, I think you got me with that ability to get down to the nice restaurant in the fog. I'm definitely jealous of having the ability to do so! I really need to find some way to take off the couple/few weeks it would take, and see how the "place to stay" would pencil out. Not sure how stupid it would be to have some kind of extended stay place. Might also be better to get completely proficient before the attempt, as I'm still stupidly afraid of myself. (For probably no reason, but having psychological barriers to overcome is nothing new to pilots)

I've been doing the King knowledge course while we're all 'rona'd indoors. Also did their GTN650/750 course, which is stupidly expensive for learning how to use a GPS, but also nice to actually get proficient with the thing. At least it has all been 21% off or better. I'm mad that I spent the GPS course money, but also glad and I'm going to share the knowledge by teaching it to my lil' 12 person club at RHV.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
The old school I used in Ohio wouldn't endorse with anything less than 100% in the practice exams. It was slightly frustrating but they did have an excellent pass rate on the real deal.(!)

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

PPL checkride is approaching fast. Of course, right now the forecast is 20g25 + rain when I'm scheduled lol :gbsmith:

I got rescheduled 3 times in Ohio, and my written expired between try 2 and 3. Still got there, don't worry about it. Examiner will appreciate it if you exercise good judgement with weather.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Sagebrush posted:

There's been a guy in a PA18 towing a GEICO banner back and forth over the beach here every day this week, flying 30 knots over the ground according to ADS-B, and that seems like either a really relaxing job or a really mind-numbing one.

If you want to see that guy take off, he's operating out of south county, E16

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Why does 'my' Arrow say to avoid 2150-2350 rpm? (Cruise is '2400 or 2000 rpm')

Could be harmonics, the engine tries to shake itself apart if left somewhere in the range.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Sagebrush posted:

I passed my checkride! :wooper:

Now I am going to go sleep for 24 hours

Congrats, pilot! Let me know if you go anywhere fun to celebrate, I'm looking for some new spots to try in the area. Our club alternator is currently kaput though, RIP battery.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
The link is correct, but you should be searching for designee Type AME - airman medical examiner.

I’ll also slightly disagree and say get through an intro flight and maybe 3 hours before bothering just to be sure you’re into it.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I just passed AMT Airframe and got the certificate, now I can be an airplane computer toucher! Don't think it'll ever pay anything worth doing but it has been a fun ride so far.

Still can't afford a hangar to build anything in California but it's fun to dream. The Sling looks so good but they're so expensive for a kit!

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

e.pilot posted:

lol what military people are you working with

signed:
a former military people

One of the students in my A&P school was also former military using his benefits to get free education while being homeless. Overall he was a cool and chill guy, used to fix and/or break tanks. Bought a Cessna 170 while a student, possibly contributing to the homeless issue, but I attribute that to young and full of dreams rather than service connected. I guess I'm saying our armed forces are a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I guess to update the new one I’ll be more particular:

KRHV - PPL ASEL, A&P