Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Yeah add me too, PPL, flying a Super Drifter and building a Rans S20 in North Cacalacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Rolo posted:

Where in NC?

Just outside Southern Pines, an hour south of Raleigh. Near KSOP and BQ1.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

I'd love to finish something one day! I'm in the covering stage, but aside from learning how to do it as I go, life is getting in the way currently. I was hoping to be finishing it up by the end of the year and that's looking less and less likely. On the upside, the weather is warming up and I've got this to fly:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Rolo posted:

Is that on your own property?

Respect either way, that thing is so cool looking.

That's a local grass strip. I am almost never on pavement, which is a good and a bad thing. It makes me work a lot harder when I fly into a real airport, but grass is just so much more fun.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

I flew a Stearman last weekend. It's as cool as it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSsX2xy9Rd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rGSU3kKcvo

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Let's talk about NORDO flying.

We all know it's legal - do y'all think it's ok? If not, why not? If yes, what's your justification?

Do you think there's a cutoff? Maybe you think it's totally acceptable because that vintage A/C over there never had an electrical system, or maybe since deaf pilots are a thing NORDO is fine for everyone.

I personally think it's totally okay, since you're not going NORDO into controlled fields, but I'm curious what you nerds think about it.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

vessbot posted:

Radios are a safety enhancement/capability increase that were originally an added layer on top of see and avoid, which was (and still is, or should be) the basic airmanship tenet. But now, due to their ubiquity, have for many people supplanted that tenet. That leads them to treat NORDO flying like some sort of cowboy or dangerous attitude. From the viewpoint of someone that learned to fly in the era when that was the status quo, that would be an extremely bizarre thing to hear.

Kinda like autopilots.

I think this dude is right on point.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

e.pilot posted:

Have him to put the top of the cowl to the bottom of the horizon in the flare. :)

Rod Machado’s technique is still my favorite way to teach landings:
https://youtu.be/Rv5HEJCyTuk

I miss instructing :saddowns:

Well.... dang, I'd never seen this before. It's great! The sudden expansion is super obvious in the video and anyone with any flight hours would recognize it just by the concept. I'll have to put this into practice!

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

That looks like it will be helpful for my landings, too. However -- he makes a point of how, for this to work, it is important to fly a stabilized approach at no more than 1.3Vs. That seems....awfully slow? In the 152 I'm flying, Vs is between 31 and 35 knots with full flaps. Even taking the high end there, 45 knots is way too slow for my comfort -- we regularly have 10 knot winds and significant gusts. I'm usually coming in at 60-65, which is correct according to the POH.

I mean obviously you gotta slow down to a stall eventually but I'm not gonna fly the whole approach that slow. I guess I just gotta time it so that I'm hitting (in my case) that 45 knots just as I'm coming over the numbers and watching the runway expand?

I think you can use the concept regardless of speed. The runway is going to drastically widen at some point, and this is a great visual cue that your peripheral vision can pick up on while staring straight down the runway. Just one more thing to help you keep track of where you are vertically.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

A small kit plane crashed near my hometown today. He's fine, the plane is wrecked, but both of those things are beside the point. Go ahead, I'll wait.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/small-plane-reportedly-crashes-near-zanesville-airport/1311691503

The Force was not strong with this one.

Is that a Dragonfly? Holy poo poo, that's a Dragonfly. I haven't seen one of those since Oshkosh in the '90's. Weirdo plane, Rutan wannabe kind of thing, but 130mph-ish on 80hp at 4gph is pretty okay.

I won't every fly behind a Jabiru though, that's for sure.

edit: Looking at the tail, I think that is actually a Rutan Quickie, which is even faster using a VW engine.

rldmoto fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 20, 2018

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Did my ASES checkride today, let's get that OP updated!

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Well, it's a different category of airplane, so it's another rating. You've got single engine land and sea, multi engine land and sea.

Unless I'm mistaken, light sport pilots can just get an endorsement.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

Anyone here build or fly a Kitfox Super Sport?

I just finalized a deal on an untouched kit from last year. Going to be using a Rotax 912S (the one I found has about 80 hours on it, and clean).

Very much looking forward to the build.

I previously owned a Kitfox IV Speedster, and I'm currently building a Rans S20, which is probably an equivalent airplane, flaperons and folding wings being the significant difference. Right now I'm kicking the idea around of putting a 180hp engine on in place of the 912.

Let's talk.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

EPIC.

Did you build your Kitfox or did you buy it built from someone?

180? Isn't the S20 rated for 100 (912 right?).

Man throw some massive tundra tires on there and take it anywhere you want...

I bought the Kitfox. The S20 was originally designed around the Rotax 912 as a fully tube and fabric plane, but Rans has since designed some metal wings for the plane and a firewall forward kit for the Titan 340 engine. I'm still undecided on which powerplant I'll go with... my uncle built and flies an Rotax S-7 and goes in and out of everywhere his Carbon Cub buddies go.

See below:

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

Nice.

The Kitfoxes around here for sale (built) have all had some issue or another. With kit-builts I'm more than a bit cautious when buying something someone else did. Yeah I got the build logs (ya' kinda have to), and all that stuff, but usually I end up finding bad welds, bad glue joints or something.

So enough was enough and I bought an un-started kit.

Important thing to remember is 80% of ALL home built serious incidents are engine related. And almost 40% of them are from folks sticking unrated engines in the airframe. Luckily yours won't have this issue with the Titan. And goodness that RoC is amazing...

Using an alternative engine is definitely in line with the E in EAA, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I do see something wrong with using a one off engine conversion and sticking your family in the plane. There are, however, some pretty decent conversions out there. Some of the automotive engines tested in airboats (http://aeromomentum.com/) seem promising. Others, like the Viking engines (https://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/), I'd advise everyone in the world to stay away from at all costs. The biggest advantage to the modern automotive conversions are the mass production of parts, FADEC, and fuel injection. Aircraft engine technology just hasn't moved appreciably forward in the last 50 years.

The real issue with alternative engines is that you are legitimately becoming a test pilot, and you are acting as R&D for these companies when you mount their engines to your airplane. They can't afford to make and test FWF kits for every airframe, and even the AeroMomentum guys say they are looking for "beta testers" for engine/airplane combos. If I'm your test pilot, you're gonna pay me for it.

For what it's worth, my father's RV6 is powered by a Lycoming O-360, and one of the exhaust stacks broke off mid flight a couple days ago. Just because something comes from an "approved" engine factory doesn't mean you will never have problems... but you all know that.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

a patagonian cavy posted:

Power off in the US requires a descent to simulate an approach, to do it to ACS standards. Power on we'll normally slow down to Vr+5 or so and then apply full power, but I don't think that's an ACS requirement. The way I normally teach power off specifically is to put the nose on the horizon to "stretch the glide" and hold it there, noting it takes more control pressure all the way to the stall break just to keep it level. The reason why is because I feel like it better simulates the actual scenario when you'd stall on approach- Not yanking to ten degrees nose high with power idle, but on the horizon and ignoring your airspeed as it winds down. I also sprinkle in "Okay, you're in slow flight, let's see a power off stall from here" to save a bit of time and connect the low airspeed regime to how you'd actually stall it.

The only problem with this is that some of our aircraft have stall characteristics in which you do this and the stall break never happens, you just peg the VSI to -1000 or so and that's when you know you've stalled. To get a full stall break you do have to pull to 10 degrees nose up.

Also of note is that the altitude loss requirement in the ACS is "Minimum", not a number, which I believe was a change after the Colgan crash.

I'm not an instructor, but I like this guy's approach. Level flight with a power setting that can't keep you there taught me more about power off stalls than any other method.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Rolo posted:

Super theoretical question:

I don’t want to ever move to the Miami area, correct? A rumor that a plane I fly may be moving down there is circulating.

I live down in Key West, and I'd say that the area from Miami to Key West is hands down my least favorite part of America. For a frame of reference, I like North Carolina.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

which parts of NC this is important

lol at any man who claims love for lumberton

Lumberton? I'm not trying to get stabbed, man.

Rolo posted:

Small world! I live in NC.

I think we've talked about this in the past? Maybe. I have a house near KSOP and kept my plane at BQ1.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Pro-rata means cost/participants. So 500/2 = 250. Pilot pays all rounding errors.

This is definitely the bad part.

Whaaaaaaaaat? The bad part is the stretch between Ft Bragg and SC. We are only slightly inside the okay area. Granted, the westernmost part and the easternmost part are the best parts, but the north of the Piedmont area isn't so bad.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Just watched the Blue Angels routine - pretty cool. I always liked airplanes as a kid and I like them more now as grown up... but the coolest part was watching my kid watch the airshow.

Here's to steering kids in the right direction!

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Neat.

edit: I didn't mean that in a condescending way, I really think it's neat.

rldmoto fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 1, 2019

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Re: Overteaching

I'm not a CFI, but I am an instructor and I spend all day teaching students the technical aspects of a technical skill. I've seen algorithmic teaching from some of my colleagues and it just creates a mediocre to well functioning robot. I've tried very hard to teach the same concepts conceptually, rather than saying "Do this because that's what you do." The result is someone who can make the right decision in a multitude of situations rather than just in the canned situations presented in training.

I've found that a student who understands the concepts and can apply some critical thinking to get to the right answer will be more proficient in the end. There are absolutely parts of flying that have hard and fast numbers, but I think a PPL student could benefit from some seat of the pants flying or feeling the airplane. The how fast to flare or how much rudder/aileron in a crosswind issues are good examples. During my PPL training, I bounced back and forth between two instructors. One was a good ol' boy who'd been flying for years and the other was an active duty F15 pilot. Both had different styles of instruction (feeling the plane vs. do this at that stage of flight), and I while I think I benefited from both methods I learned more from "feeling" the airplane.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

I feel like NC is pretty affordable, unless you're in Charlotte/Asheville.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

So I moved back to North Cackalacky, which is cool because I'm back to work on my homebuilt. I know there's a homebuilt thread, but I'm not active in it and there might be someone here who I might be able to motivate into EAB stuff. Here's my build log: https://s20build.wordpress.com/

Also, I'm about 15 minutes from BQ1. If anyone ever is flying into Pik n Pig, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Some of you might get a kick out of this.

I recorded myself recovering an elevator. Took about eleven and a half hours all in. I know there's a homebuilt thread, but it's not super active. I'll upload a 1080p version overnight - you can really see a lot more detail there, but my upload speed is terrible. I'll change the link below when I do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNzkrJ2eQMM

rldmoto fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 20, 2020