Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I've got MEI now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

shame on an IGA posted:

It's a whooole lot easier to ignore noise complaints now that somebody did some basic data analysis and showed that, as an example, 80% of all the complaints to Reagan National were from the same loving guy calling 19x every day.

Denver is the same way, something like 99% of the noise complaints are 2 or 3 people, a majority of which are one dude that calls like 10-15 times a day.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
This is the most mid century thing I think I've ever seen. Noisy 4 hole TWA jetliner pouring black smoke taking off over a factory belching even more smoke with a clear smog layer, amazing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Jesus, the 30+ minute drive to DEN is bad enough, can't imagine if they put it properly in the middle of nowhere.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My approach in to DEN the other day was....interesting.

Apparently ops was doing a check on the runway and 17R was closed and they thought it'd be opened by the time we got there. It wasn't, so they asked us to do a wide s-turn to the east, then changed their mind and switched us to 17L, then changed their mind again and had us do a 360 instead and roll out on final for 17R.

My friend worked us in on approach that morning and was like what the poo poo did tower have you doing yoloing all over the place.

Skip to 28:35, my FO was just confused as hell, can't imagine what our pax thought of it lol.
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kden/KDEN-Twr-Jun-07-2017-1130Z.mp3

Just doin' some hoodrat turboprop things.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It's also a lot easier to finish it and not use it for a few years and get current again than it is to get almost to the end, and not do anything for a few years before trying to pick it back up and finish.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If you can afford it take a leisurely XC somewhere with your CFI for lunch to relax and enjoy flying for flying's sake. Constantly being in the grind of training and pattern work and practice area gets old fast.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

You studied 18% too hard

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

two_beer_bishes posted:

I did spin training 10 years ago when I first started CFI training that I never completed. Now that I'm more than likely looking at a career change in the next couple months I'm going to go back and finish that fucker. Does the spin endorsement expire at any point?

Nope, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go do it again just to brush up on them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

This is ORD every day.

ATC: "Goon 1234 say speed"
Goon1234: "320 knots"
ATC: "American 1234 say speed"
AAL1234: "270 knots"
ATC: "Goon1234 maintain 270 knots or less"

me irl every day going in to DEN in a PC12 at 210

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It's super easy to get the UAS cert, literally a 40 question test that you can take until you pass and fill out iacra.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

an awesome job with a fantastic pilot group, flying insanely sweet aircraft; but with a really stupid management group bordering on criminally negligent
If you look up the definition of Part 135 operators in the FARs this is what you'll see

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Either that or our sim is particularly hosed. It's loving impossible to trim that son of a whore properly, and the strange elastic feel on the controls makes everything 10 times harder.

This is pretty much every non-full motion sim ever, if you have any over controlling tendencies it will magnify them immensely. What kind of sim are you flying?

quote:

Real Edit: I think simulators are lovely and difficult, but sadly not in a way that would ever prepare you for actual problems you'll face in flight.
A decent simulator is actually surprisingly accurate if you get the over controlling out of your system, slow yourself down a bit and make really small, slow, and deliberate inputs.

That said, for instrument training, a sim is best for laying the foundation of an instrument scan and building situational awareness before it gets really expensive in a real plane. They're just not that realistic.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I got to have a fun chat with my DO once when I refused to take off in to thunderstorms in a plane with MELs limiting it to 10k ft and VMC only.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'll refer back to my post a couple pages ago:

e.pilot posted:

Animal posted:

an awesome job with a fantastic pilot group, flying insanely sweet aircraft; but with a really stupid management group bordering on criminally negligent
If you look up the definition of Part 135 operators in the FARs this is what you'll see

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
For anything piston GA, mini is the only way to go.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

two_beer_bishes posted:

Anyone with DA20 experience? The school I'm looking at spending some money at has a bunch of them for $30/hr less than a 172. The majority of my time is in Cherokees and ~40hr or so in 172s, are the DA20 good planes?

I've got quite a bit of time in them. Go for it, they're a lot more fun to fly than 172s. Just bring water and a good hat, the bubble canopy gets hot in the summer.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dupersaurus posted:

What's there for a pilot to do if they don't want to make a career out of it and can't afford their own plane, other than occasionally renting a 152 and puttering around a bit for fun when it's nice outside? Is volunteer piloting a thing? I really want to get my license, but it's a lot of money to spend just to tick something off the bucket list.

I know plenty of CFIs that do it for fun part time outside of their normal jobs.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dupersaurus posted:

Coming up with the money for lessons isn't a problem (lord knows I've probably spent that much on other hobbies over time), I'm just trying to answer the "what then?" question for myself. Something like volunteer piloting sounds attractive but I don't know if that's a thing that exists.

There are a lot of volunteer opportunities, look in to Angel Flight, Veterans Air Lift, and Pilots and Paws to name a few.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Apollo posted:

If you were to get your license, by the time you've gotten it you'll have made a ton of new friends and acquaintances and somebody is always going flying sometime. It's a cool social network.

I would bet all of us here in the SA forums are probably connected to each other in the flying world by only 3 degrees of separation or so.

I'd honestly be surprised if it's even that high. Aviation is an amazingly small community.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I like to stretch out a gooooooood morning/afternoon/evening when I check on to see if I can get them to do it back

I really win the game when I hear them reply to other aircraft the same way

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

The OP needs updated, I'm now officially a commercial pilot!

Noooice

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I don't really know the history of SFO so I don't know if this is the case, but there are many times that old runways are converted to taxiways during airport remodels

While true this doesn't excuse the fact that they somehow managed to line up on a taxiway instead of a runway AT NIGHT and failed to realize their error until they were told to go around.

Lining up to land on a taxiway during daylight hours (especially if there were no airplanes on said taxiway) would at least be a little more forgivable, but night time? I mean how?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

I posted a bit about how this sort of accident can happen but it must have been in the AI thread. Delta actually landed on a taxiway at Atlanta and the NTSB and FAA investigated it and found that certain lighting conditions were conducive to mistaking the taxiway for a runway.

Obviously takes a lot of contributing factors.

Interesting, seems like such an impossible thing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Literally never

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Plus we also have ADS-B in on our company iPads so we can just look at those for all of that stuff.

e: also do the same for NOTAMs, check them before I leave and get any updates via ADS-B, my legs are usually 0.8-1.0 flight time and I have better things to do than get ahold of FSS so they can tell me about that 300ft unlit tower 15 miles from the airport

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 11, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I use unusual attitude recovery as an opportunity to practice my lazy eights. Gentle is best imo because you don't get the inner ear sensations and lends itself to a more realistic unusual attitude. Getting a plane in to a graveyard spiral while your student sits there thinking we're straight and level is just the best.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I landed with 43kt sustained once.

Chinook events are a hell of a thing, luckily it was straight down the runway.

Observed I've seen in the 50s a few times.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Hmm, where was that, out of curiosity? As far as I know, this (Calgary) is the only area that calls those winds Chinooks.

If it was indeed Calgary or area, yeah, I can believe it. Our winds are right hosed around here. My max was sustained 20, gusting 25, but in a 172. We're not allowed to fly much beyond that. Straight down the runway, though.... usually when those winds hits, it's straight out of the west.

The front range of Colorado, we call them that here too.

I wouldn't do much more than upper 20s low 30ish in a 172. Did the 40+ monster in a PC12.

My friend put it well once, flying GA you check the weather to see if you're going to fly or not, flying commercial you check the weather to see how much your day is going to suck.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 26, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Two Kings posted:

Dispatcher: I gave you 1000 lbs extra for deviations and an alternate. It looks like it's starting to die down. I think you'll be fine.

:laffo:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Well now that the time has arrived and the pieces are mostly in place, after next week I am finally done doing hoodrat pt135 things and have the required hours for ATP and a class date for Skywest.

Been working towards this for so long it doesn't feel real.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Plus you can turn on pilot controlled lighting when you drive by airports on road trips, the possibilities are limitless.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

This is a thread about aviation not philosophizing about the American condition

:smugdon:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Pics of your enlarged quads on your right leg?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Deets on the tecnam incident? Sounds like fun.

That plane looks really good on paper but just kinda sucks in the real world.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It's a great time to be an up and coming pilot that's for sure. I don't know that the employment landscape has ever looked like this.

Hopefully another 9/11 doesn't happen decimating the industry again.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Instructing for time is all about finding a good school to teach at. If I could go back and instruct to 1500 instead of the 135 job I had flying EAS I'd do it every time. Schools are starting to feel the crunch of the shortage too so you should be able to shop around a bit and find a good one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
[quote="“Rekinom”" post="“476944614”"]
Well the other thing is that Delta is hiring like crazy (with <1 year captain upgrades) but I can’t help but think the second there’s an economic hiccup and the music stops, guys are going to be out on the street whereas everyone else just kinda be stagnant but at least keep their jobs.
[/quote]

The thought of this terrifies me. I'm just getting my foot in the door at a regional and I'm hoping if poo poo ever hits the proverbial fan I'll have enough seniority to survive.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Does the company have an FAA approved ops spec that requires a second pilot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Michael Scott posted:

I'd like to fly for the military for a guarantee that I wouldn't get shot at stuck at a desk not flying. And a whole lot of loving cash.