Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shame on an IGA posted:

Has anyone here interacted with a Hondajet enough to have opinions about them?

It’s a lightish jet; Kinda slow in the climb, but speeds up at cruise and climbs well. They seem to be a nice airplane.

The flight test guys would fly them around my airspace quite a bit before deliveries started. They were cool dudes.

Also cool dudes; Gulfstream’s test department. They came out to the facility and passed out Gulftest patches. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody designed an aircraft that gives the CRJ-200 a run for its money. :allears:

There’s a CRJ200 that comes off VRB or FPR every day going somewhere up north, and every day, the low side flashes it to us, hoping that somehow, this day is different. Every day, we point and laugh, saying “look at this poo poo, Coastal is flashing us that Mainer CRJ again.” And every day, that loving thing is just barely clearing FL230 (the bottom of high altitude airspace for us,) thirty miles past our northern boundary in Jacksonville center’s airspace.

They are AGGRESSIVELY poor climbers. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gently insert a pair of earplugs in his nose.

He’ll either stop snoring, or die. Win/win, either way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Russian helicopters have an opposite-direction rotor and tail rotor, as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Talked to PC-24 serial number one (101, technically) today. The jealousness on frequency was palpable.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Janitrols are known for mixing exhaust fumes with the heated air, as well. Carbon monoxide poisoning, hypoxia, and fire hazard in one!

They are bad-rear end heaters, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ausgezeichnet posted:

Any time you're even peripherally involved in a safety-related incident you should get in the practice of submitting a NASA Report (ASRS). It helps saturate the system with data points and keeps you from certificate action unless you were a complete jackass (willful misconduct or gross negligence).

Dear ATSAP, it’s me again.

(Controllers use the system a lot more than pilots do.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

The educational background is also another element of the cluster that is the R-ATP.

"You got a bachelor's degree in aviation from a school we approved? Good on you, son, here's 500 hours off!"
"You got an associate's degree in aviation from a school we approved? Hmm...you're probably not as good a pilot. 250 hour discount."
"You got an aviation degree, flew Part 141, but we haven't blessed the program yet? PAY YER DUUUUUUUUUES!"
"You flew at a mom 'n pop Part 61 FBO as was seen to be totally acceptable until the future Senate Minority Leader pretended he knew about airplanes? :lol: you, go get all the time, you chump."
"You already have your instrument rating and have a degree from one of the schools we approved, but you didn't fly Instrument there? I'm sorry, sir or ma'am, no discount for you."

...and then you see Slaughter get turned down by the Widget in spite of having gone to The Harvard of Aviation. :confused:

e- And this post comes from somebody having seen it from both sides now (student and administrative).

I just want to know if Riddle paid in (campaign) cash, or in kind (hookers and blow) to the dear congresscritters.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

That’s so lovely. Basically “gently caress you, your number’s up!” *wing fucks off*

Assuming maintenance was carried out according to procedure, what could’ve been done?

Maintenance being carried out according to the MM/Maintenance program doesn’t result in ”preliminary examination of the left wing main spar revealed that more than 80 percent of the lower spar caps and portions of the forward and aft spar doublers exhibited fracture features consistent with metal fatigue.”

The sound you hear is pencils, whipping furiously.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

Doctor. Bonanzas. Apollo.

Approaching maximum irony. Possibly irony overload. More seriously, congrats and don't die.

Content: I overrode our supervisor and TMU yesterday and closed the only remaining open departure gate out of FLL/MIA because we had a Challenger pilot come over requesting higher, reporting "a very poor ride, at least continuous moderate," that sounded exactly like he was flying around in a UH-1. I've never heard a fixed-wing pilot getting the poo poo kicked out of him that badly.

To the flight crew of that Challenger: Sorry my TMU tried to loving kill you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Was that due to the storms in the afternoon and evening?

Summer thunderstorms in south Florida are a surprise to TMU, every time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The world wonders.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This one will never not make me chuckle:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

Sounds way better than the grumpy captains that come unhinged every time there isn't a push crew on time or there is bad weather. Like jesus christ man, you signed up to do this for a living. Just shut the gently caress up already. Anytime I hear "I hate when these idiots..." I want to blow my brains out.

I had a captain magic up a (bullshit) reason to reject an airplane one night for an AMC flight, (which were easy money for the airline, Miami - Dover - Kandahar) after throwing a fit when the catering showed up with no Diet Coke.

Needless to say, that airline went out of business during the 2008 crash.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Did they fly DC-10s with the world's most unintentionally good-looking livery?

Our G-spot was large, prominent, and on display for the world to see. :bigtran:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Was talking to a Riddle DA40 the other night, and he unabled a climb to 7000. I came back around a couple minutes later and asked him about it; Apparently Riddle policy is no flights above 5000msl at night. What the actual gently caress?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

The next time dispatch wonders why I want enough fuel to go around the line of thunderstorms instead of sneaking through a gap I'm just going to show them these two pictures from last night:

I'm going to get 8x10 color glossy prints of these with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is, and post them all over our TMU.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Does the Harrier have a brake on the nose gear, or just the main?

Also, is differential braking any good in the real jet? In DCS it actually works ok, which is astonishing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

overdesigned posted:

It does not, and there isn't any differential braking in the real jet since the outriggers don't have brakes either.

Both pedals apply the rear main brake, then? Are they tied together, or separate?

Thanks for answering questions, btw.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My favorite procedure is still the STCed EFB we put in our DC-10s right before the bankruptcy. In the emergency checklist was:

“In the event of an EFB fire, don the fire retardant gloves, remove the EFB from its mount, and stow in the lavatory toilet.”

So if the EFB caught fire, you were supposed to get an oven glove from the FE’s desk, unhook the thing, and flush it down the toilet.

:allears:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Last 727 flight for Amerijet, and the last flight for that airframe, ever. Landing Sebring to get turned into beer cans.

:(

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AJT99

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shame on an IGA posted:

Boeing just bought an 80% stake in Embraer.

Holy poo poo. More things Boeing didn't design to put in Boeing commercials!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xaarman posted:

I liked to teach via fear, sarcasm and ridicule. It was a lot of fun that way.

I see that you are a controller.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

The controller at RDU used to give me so much poo poo when I was an instructor.

“Hey, you guys see a helicopter about ten miles south of the airport?”

“I see a beacon, but I don’t know if it’s a helicopter.”

“Ok maybe this will help, helicopters are the ones with the propeller on the roof.”

Everyone laughed at me. It was hazy! Hazy!!

The controllers at HWO keep a mouth harp in the tower, and will ocassionally give studens a single PRAAAANG over the radio when they bounce it in.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A truly unholy thing.

:canada:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

overdesigned posted:

My dad, a literal lifelong pilot, has, after a stroke and 2 years learning to walk/everything else again, gotten his BasicMed, completed his BFR, and soloed the family 140.

:unsmith:

gently caress. Yes.

:black101:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

i am kiss u now posted:

...but I’m slowly questioning whether traveling and being away from home for months at a time is going to take its toll on me. It’s a very fast-paced, high-stress job where my day is usually 14+ hours long and then move on to the next city.

While it won’t be exactly the same sort of stress, I’m pretty sure that airline pilot is pretty far down the list of jobs that let you stay home a lot.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you’re trying to get into MCO or ORL today... I’m so, so sorry.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

taiyoko posted:

Kind of frustrating, because I'm the best I've ever felt on this medication.

Welcome to aviation, where you get to chose between your health and continued employment!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

my dad built a dragonfly. we keep it in the hangar, it's kind of scary to fly and one killed my dad's best friend.

our m201j is way less frightening

I’m guessing that it has all the rotor inertia of a bag of feathers in a wind tunnel.

Has he ever practiced autos in it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cigaw posted:

Well, after lurking this thread for ages, I am now (kinda technically, start date is Oct 8th) a student pilot. :toot:

I'm looking at all sorts of expensive exciting things, such as ipad-compatible kneeboards, flight bags and headsets. Will gladly take recommendations on the the first two, as these don't seem to be discussed here as often as the latter.

Would a combination of this non-aviation headphone and this microphone adapter thing be worthwhile considering? Or is it just a janky arrangement and at that combined price point I might as well grab a used Lightspeed Sierra for an ANR headset?

For a student pilot, you need a comfortable aviation headset (That does NOT mean it needs to be ANR. Physical comfort and passive noise reduction is way more important until you’re doing it for a living or making long cross-countries on the regular,) a fuel strainer, the applicable checklists for the aircraft you’re training in, a couple charts (a local sectional certainly, a TAC chart if one is available for the area you’re training in, and a diagram of your home field,) pencils, and a pad of paper. I like 5x8” notepads.

All that Sportys poo poo is just expensive noise until you have your PPL. Don’t try to hack a headset together; Get a pair of David Clarkes or something reliable and cheapish. You’ll probably replace them later, so don’t go nuts. Every nickel you spend on junk is a nickel that would be better spent in the airplane.

I wouldn’t even mention bringing your iPad into the airplane. Also, get off my lawn.

:corsair:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

You'll need a different plug (I believe that is a helicopter one) but as you can see they're interchangeable and DC sells the spares.

Anyone in here know why the hell this is? I can not seem to come up with a reason that helicopters use a different interphone jack standard, but here we are.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Are the standards for flying through/around thunderstorms

Does the airplane have American or Delta painted on the side?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

At least the US aviation industry stopped going anywhere near thunderstorms after those two crashes.

lol I wish

Every day in the summer here is a crapshoot of “who’s going to get a FA or passenger thrown against the header because a UPS 767 said there was just moderate chop through that three mile gap in a thunderstorm.”

Delta and American go the opposite route of going seventy miles around anything at all, playing merry hell with all the same flight crews and controllers in the area.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oops.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

He refused to seek medical attention so as to not lose his pilots license.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I'm getting ready to dive into Paramotoring. There's a club with instructors in McKinney TX that I'm going to check out in the next week or two.

Anyone else tried it? Looks like it's a bit tough to try out without buying equipment but maybe I'll find out differently when I visit the club. I've purchased a copy of the Powered Paraglider Bible and I'm working my way through that. Seems quite a bit different to aircraft piloting but I can't imagine a cooler way to fly through the air.

Aviator PPG’s home base is in my airspace, and we’ve worked with them and the jump op next door a couple times on stuff. I really want to get up there and learn, but time and money is kicking my teeth in.

:(

Edit: Never buy a house.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 29, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We call these nope.

In reference to the ground track over Florida...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AWSEFT posted:

The radar doesn't look like its live based on that flight but I was here for that weather and it was nasty.

It's not, and ya, it was pretty ugly.