Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Who the hell is complaining about Denver? The airport was built waaaay out in the middle on nowhere on purpose. Partially to avoid noise complaints.

AWSEFT posted:

Have a great buddy whose dad owned an MU2. He always tells me how awesome an airplane it is and how much he likes it. Years later he told me it was the MU2 that killed his dad.

The MU2 really is the motorcycle of the aviation world isn't it? The people who fly them insist they're great planes and not at all dangerous if you know what you're doing but the accident statistics tell an entirely different story.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

:stonklol: Is this generosity or are they that desperate?

The latter. Every AA employee including those at wholly owned regional is getting those: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article127165484.html

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

My favorite is the WestJet 737-600 pulling back to 230kts 100nm from the airport without telling me, and Southwest is ten in trail with the throttles buried somewhere forward of the weather radar.

This is ORD every day.

ATC: "Goon 1234 say speed"
Goon1234: "320 knots"
ATC: "American 1234 say speed"
AAL1234: "270 knots"
ATC: "Goon1234 maintain 270 knots or less"

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rickety Cricket posted:

Awesome. I start indoc on the 175 in early August. Just hit my 1500 and am taking a nice vacation til then.

Start 175 CA long term in about 2 weeks. Are there really going to be 3 of us from this thread in 175 training at the same time?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The problem with universally terrible sim controls is that it builds bad habits. As an example our sim has notoriously unrealistic lateral stability. Even the slightest asymmetric brake application above 100 knots will result in the aircraft entering an uncontrollable slide off the runway so people learn not to use them. Now all of our new hires are afraid to touch the brakes after landing because the sim has taught them not to use them at high speed. It usually takes them about 100 hours of flight time before they un-learn this bad habit. V1 cuts, windshear/terrain escape, single engine ILS's, stall recoveries, crosswind landings, ect. are all flown differently in the sim than they should be in reality because people have to adjust to the unrealistic controls of the sim.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

It's 8:30pm on a Saturday night. I'm sitting in an airplane with no less than 10 MELs waiting on the FAA to give us a SFP so that we can fly back to the hub then out to an overnight getting us done after 2am and my seat is rapidly developing a serious case of swampass.

I should have gone to law school.

/bitterpilotrant

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

One of our new hires who's supposed to finish their IOE this weekend was just awarded a captain upgrade. Need to change the title to "Cleared for hire, minimum delay in the right seat"

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

Ah, that's a real shame. I don't hate on Airbus just for the sake of hating, but that seems like a really poor design choice.

The Airbus flight control and automation system is really good right up until it encounters a situation the automation can't handle. Then it becomes a disaster waiting to happen. The human factors part of the design is basically non existent which has lead to multiple crashes that could have been easily prevented.

I'm in 175 ground school right now and embraer seems to have designed a much more pilot friendly but still highly automated system.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Once, but she didn't work for my airline. We dated for a while but it turns out making a relationship work between two people who are never home is kinda hard.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Slaughter posted:

Flight attendant, no. Gay pilot, yes.
Bad idea, would not recommend.

General rule #1: Never stick your dick in crazy
Aviation rule #1: Anyone who becomes a professional aviator is at a minimum 1/3rd crazy

MrYenko posted:

It's related to a change in our duty priority; We are now obligated to issue weather information at the same priority as separation of aircraft.

Sounds about right. Flying into the side of a fully developed thunderstorm generally ends with the same result as flying into the side of another airplane.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

6am check orals suck. On the plus side I'm pretty sure the examiner is so tired that's could tell him our fuel tanks hold 10,392lbs of bananas and he wouldn't notice.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Just got done with my first IOE trip as a captain. Didn't get hit by a NORDO 172. Can confirm NORDO flying is safe. My taxiing on the other hand...

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Anyone know of a reputable place to buy a used Bose A20? I can get a %15 discount on a new one through work but $950 is still kind of a steep price.

And before someone mentions it, I know I can do the uflymike tso thing for less money.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

azflyboy posted:

This evening, the entire pilot group I work with received an email informing us that our chief pilot had been fired, along with emails from management freaking out about an upcoming Seattle Times story about our inability to run an airline, along with a set of "talking points" to tell the public about the current dumpster fire here.

Clearly, a group of very cynical pilots would never dream of telling the public anything except the ridiculous talking points someone in management distributed...

Article is up. As far as I can tell it's actually one of the more accurate pilot shortage articles to appear in non aviation specific media: https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/pilot-crisis-has-horizon-air-grappling-with-industrys-new-reality/

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

azflyboy posted:

From what I can tell, the panic is due to Horizon/Alaska management really not wanting to accept responsibility for the disaster they created, and I was very pleased to see that the reporter correctly identified the "10 year contract" management pushed on us as being the thing that directly lead to the current mess at Horizon.

Delta seems to be the only Major that realizes the current regional model is unsustainable and is making changes to it's fleet to accommodate that. Most regionals are throwing wads of money at anyone with a pulse and the requirements to be an FO but they're still treating their current employees like it's the lost decade. Reserve and captain pay at my regional are so bad that most of our senior FOs don't want to bother with the upgrade. The company recently put out a notice saying that if they don't get enough volunteers to upgrade that they're going to have to displace FOs out of the right seat into becoming captains. Despite that, the mainlines are still just chugging along like nothings the matter and their regional feed isn't on the verge of collapse.

I have no idea how the next 5 years are going to go but I'm willing to be it'll be one hell of a ride.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

SeaborneClink posted:

Does going from Mid/Senior FO to Jr Captain mean a big paycut? My novice understanding of similar payscales was that there would be some overlap at the top FO and lowest captain but apparently not? It's a kick in the dick to have to sit in the left seat, just a massive increase in responsibility but negligible compensation increase?

Our FOs are getting a retention bonus, and senior FOs can bid for lots of days off then pick up open time at %200. If they upgrade they lose the retention bonus and end up on reserve with 11 days off a month max. Its a n egligible pay increase and a huge decrease in quality of life.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

10 month upgrade captains

oh my sweet summer child.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Do you want structural damage? Because that's how you get structural damage.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Today in crazytown: My regional just officially displaced a few new hires with less than 3 weeks senority into captain positions because roughly 200 senior pilots chose not to upgrade.

Ironically the "it's a pay shortage not a pilot shortage." line turned out to be more true than previously thought. Throwing money at first officers gets them in the front door but the increased pay kills any motivation to become a captain.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

vessbot posted:

"Confirm?"
"Nope"
*hits execute anyway*
*plane starts flying toward wrong fix*

"Uhhhhhhh" seems to work a lot better than "nope" or "that's wrong."

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rekinom posted:

Congrats, man. Any idea who's next? According to my e-mails, the Spirit guys are going through some issues.

Pretty sure envoy is going to take a swing at it. The contract is good for a few years but if all the new hires suddenly start going to Edeavor the company will probably play ball. Of course with things being the way they are who knows what's going to happen.

In the meantime congrats to Endeavor. You guys deserve it.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

1708191116-1803311116EST

There's a end time to the NOTAM so unless they extended it the approach will be valid again next April. Based on this NOTAM it looks like the VOR is currently out of service. They may authorize the approach again once it's fixed. !BUF 11/183 GGT NAV TACAN AZM OUT OF SERVICE 1711291527-1712152000EST

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Isn't Tucscon basically out of water at this point?

As far as PHL vs MIA, if you have to live in the city itself move to MIA. If you're ok with living on the outskirts and driving an hour or so to work every week move to PHL.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Dalrain posted:

I'm thinking about diving into an Instrument Rating (US), does anyone care to recommend materials that were especially good for actually learning it?

I somewhat enjoy the goofy Rod Machado books, but was curious if there was anything new out there for self-study.

Thanks!

This is one of the few places where computer flight sims come in handy. Find a cessna/piper/whatever with an autopilot for your favorite flight sim and use it to practice holds/arcs/approaches without having to pay for the airplane. There's no replacement for hand flying but practicing your navigation and VOR usage without having to worry about anything else makes learning it in the airplane a hell of a lot easier.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Finally got to fly over the best named VOR in the system today: https://imgur.com/a/PstFw

Welcome to the good life.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

From what I remember of LGA the hotels are super expensive and it can be hard to find rooms sometimes. Back then we mostly had a "don't ask don't tell" policy about sleeping in the crew room so that happened a bunch. I think most people these days just get a crashpad.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

sleepy gary posted:

Do any schools have strictly ground instructors? Do you need to be a CFI to do ground instruction?

We're hiring ground instructors so we can keep our line pilots out flying instead of stuck in a classroom. Want a job in DFW?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Do they actually teach high speed/altitude aerodynamics at sky west now? Last time I talked to a sky west buddy of mine about it he basically had no clue and told me they still fly speeds waaay slower than any of us are comfortable with. This was after the FAA put the limit in place. We had a single low speed incident a few years ago after which they started teaching that stuff fairly heavily in recurrent.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

Not me! I’m actually awesome.

Well yeah you're awesome, you're a pilot, we're all awesome! But just for the record I am the most awesome and pilots from my airline are the best pilots around. If you doubt my/our superior awesomeness you can meet me in the crew lounge/bar/crashpad/van/urinal and I will tell you endless work stories to establish my awesomeness regardless of whether or not you want to hear them.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Does anyone know of NTSB reports out there where the pilots were high? I know there are a bunch where the pilot(s) were drunk but those are just sad, not funny.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Good decision. Also, this is yet another reason why it's a good idea to get an instrument rating.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rickety Cricket posted:

The Jepp charts are great, but JeppFD sucks a big one.

JeppFD Pro; mother of frustration, breaker of batteries.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I'm in a bar in fargo, alone, trying to drown the stress of this trip in the sweet bitterness of an IPA. Another crew just walked in, sat near me, and won't shut up about work. Work, work, work, work......I wanna go home.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

azflyboy posted:

"Right rudder, right rudder, right rudder"

-Every CFI, endlessly.

Reminds me of this you tube classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eopl5QLQ5zs

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

fordan posted:

I want to throw up when I have to ride on a CRJ too.

It's not *that* bad. Just make sure you're shorter than 5 feet tall, don't have a sense of smell, and are so drunk that you pass out before takeoff.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBSNews posted:

United President Scott Kirby

How is this guy still allowed to make decisions relating to labor groups?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Edit. I'm just complaining about bullshit never mind.

Well that's like 75% of what pilots do when they're talking so feel free to edit it back to your original post.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I'm really glad I don't work in United's PR department

Rolo posted:

I had to be the tie vote once between the DOM and the DO because the brakes were out of wear limits and the DO “knew for a fact it would stop just fine.”

Yeah, uh, no? Also I quit?

One of the few things that are good about 121. Brake wear out of limit? Write it up, call maintenance, and go grab a coffee because it's no longer your problem.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I hope the dog that united accidentally shipped to Japan doesn't have that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

It may be worth mentioning that David Clark makes two different ANR headsets, the pro-x which sits on top of your ears and the one-x which surrounds your ears like a regular headset.

On a different note: http://www.newsweek.com/airline-denies-its-flight-attendants-held-orgy-despite-video-naked-romp-850795