Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ain't gonna lie, if I won the lottery, I'd go to the states, get a PPL, get a plane (preferably the noisiest I could manage) and fly a big rear end banner from the back of it saying "eat poo poo NIMBYs" until they had to bring me down with AA fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

How long have you been practicing medicine?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

People shouldn't be allowed own stuff like tgat until they've proved they're not dumb.

Never is a very long time.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I remember a story from a hornet pilot who lost an engine on take off from the carrier, he landed it back on the boat iirc.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

There's a lever to manually drop the gear if it won't extend normally. Hope you packed a drag chute though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Load up DCS and try it. :pilot:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pretty sure that it was in "Fate is the hunter" the author talked about a guy who successfully frauded his way into a pilot job on a commercial airliner and it was years before people caught on that the guy didn't have a license.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I forget, is Canada a participant in the Commonwealth games?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That'll buff out

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If you can't handle some old lady wacking you on the back of the head with a clipboard if you porpoise it on landing how are you going to deal with a terrorist or a ferry pilot looking to go out with a crowd? I'm surprised that it isn't part of standard CPL training to get slapped silly midflight after FedEx 705. :colbert:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Not sure if I'm in the right thread but I thought I'd give it a shot since I know there's a lot of pilots in here.

I went up in a 2 seat glider today and it was fun. Except for the part where I was an inch from barfing, which was almost the entire time except for the bits where we were going straight and level. Despite that, I'd still like to try again. I'm not sure i want to go as far as getting a glider licence, but I want to try it again to see how I feel about it, since I like the idea, and I don't think it's reasonable to make a conclusive judgement after one 20 minute very queasy flight.

So to get to the point, what can I do to minimise the nausea? I had the air vents open and the breeze helped, it had been several hours since I ate since I didn't want to go up on a full stomach (for what little good it did), I was reasonably hydrated. I realise that some of the rollercoaster stuff is unavoidable since the only way to get airspeed is nosing down and riding thermals can be bumpy so thats just poo poo I'm going to live with. Is it just a matter of sucking up hours of barfy airtime until I get used to it? Is there anything I can do on the ground or at home to build tolerance? Would air sickness medication help? Help appreciated, especially from glider guys.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Do you get motion sick in cars? Seasick? If no, motion sickness in the first couple times in a light airplane is perfectly normal, and will almost certainly go away.

If yes, it’ll probably still go away, but it will take longer. Motion sickness medications will help, but exposure is just about the best thing. I would get mildly motion sick the first couple times I flew in light planes, but after maybe five or ten hours, it doesn’t happen anymore.

Kinda? I occasionally get carsick but the few times I've been out on a boat I was surprisingly resistant to seasickness.

overdesigned posted:

If the nausea is debilitating, using motion sickness meds a few times can help you get the exposure you need without you spending the entire time hurling or about to hurl.

Source: me, who had to do this in the T-6.

It was kind of bad. I didn't hurl chunks but I had to call "your aircraft" because I couldn't focus enough and needed my hands to hold the sick sack. :saddowns:

Maybe airsickness meds might help.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Can't hurt! Checking out pricing, it seems that per hour costs roughly the same as light sport aircraft training, largely because of tug plane fees, unless you get good weather and can soar longer to offset the initial launch fee. Also having an engine may allow less aggressive maeuvering to help overcoming initial airsickness. Hmmmm

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Could be. The club I'm at launches using a tug and you pay for time on the tug to get you to altitude, plus per minute on the glider. Cost of flying a plane is per tacho hour. Club fees are the same. Member to governing bodies are separate for plane and glider, and curiously, gliders cost more (not much, but still). Other gliding clubs launch using a winch and cost less because of that, but aren't as convenient in location.

The "savings" on the glider only really apply when I can fly solo because the per minute cost of the glider is about half of the dual seat, and also when soaring time gets higher.

Plane costs $150 per tacho hour,

Glider costs roughly $75 to launch, and then $1.50 per minute in air for a dual seater, or 0.85-1.00 per minute for a solo glider. So at first 2 seating, it might cost more for the first hour. But the plane is going to cost $150 an hour, every hour, while the glider doesn't, and caps out in price after 3 hours.

So the more gliding I do, the cheaper it gets, whereas the plane stays the same.

Seems like a good reason to do both, really.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

sanchez posted:

This might be a good thing, I believe actually puking is the worst thing because it creates a habit/association in your head that you now have to break. It should be a little better next time.

Fingers crossed. I've booked a flight in a powered bug smasher this weekend. We'll see if that makes a difference. I figure air time is air time but I'll probably focus on gliding first. Long term it works out cheaper.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Went up in a Jabiru and felt absolutely fine. No barfiness. :woop:

Going to get up in a glider again today to see how I go.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Well if I'm flying with my eyes closed that's IFR if you think about it. A blink takes 0.12 seconds and you blink on average every 15 seconds so after an hour of flight...

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Had my first gliding lesson today. It went pretty ok. Except the instructor ballooned hugely on landing and smacked the ground half a dozen times like the airfield owed him money. Genuinely amazed I didn't leave with a back injury. Lol.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Saukkis posted:

Our club's ASK-21 has experienced couple landings hard enough to damage the plane with no issues for the pilots. And couple years ago during landing competition I did a steep enough landing on a SZD-51-1 that the flare did nothing and I didn't even experience any kind of aching.

What glider did you use?

Grob 103 twin. I got shaken around the cockpit despite being thoroughly strapped down. It didn't hurt or anything, just surprising how rough it was. The glider was undamaged.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Second gliding lesson today. Unexpectedly put in control while on aerotow. Nerve wracking as hell when I have actual gliding experience measured I minutes. Just as I was getting used to it on low tow the instructor tells me to put it in high tow. I did it, but very much didn't want to since there was a touch of turbulence pulling the nose up as it was, and I'd been doing some reading about such things as "tug upsets" and although I trust the instructor and tug pilot not to let it happen, I don't want to accidentally do it. I felt much better once I was allowed back into low tow. Did the release and gear up for the first time and basically everything until landing checks. I liked flying it better than the grob too. Maybe it's supposed to be "twitchier" and harder to learn on than the grob but I preferred the faster and lighter control response. A deployable landing gear is NBD.

A much better experience all around than last week. Much better instructor and I hope I get him again. I've got some time off soon so hopefully I can line up a few days in a row. I'd like some nicer weather to experience some thermalling soon too. Also just the chance to think a little bit, since the flights being short makes things kind of hectic.

Edit: also discovered that last week when I showed the recording of the horrifically bouncy landing by my instructor to a spectator, turns out the dude I showed it to was the senior flight instructor/club/governing body auditor/rep. Oops.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 24, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sitting in my computer chair with a stupid headset on making my own whooshing noises.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

a patagonian cavy posted:

A lot cheaper this way tbh

Only if you stay away from flight sims.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My gliding club neighbours an airforce base restricted airspace that you can stray into if you go about 2 miles in the right (wrong) direction. Adds a certain je nais se quoi when trying to learn how to turn and stay up when you can accidentally stray and upset some very serious people if you get turned around.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Had 2 glider flights today and got a lot of things signed off in my workbook. Definitely a good one today. Even had my GoPro set up properly this time. Only way it could have been better would be if I'd managed to get up while there was some thermal action. Still good though. :cheers:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

One flight only today, but a significant one. Found my first thermal and rode it up to cloud base. I noticed the wing lift and turned into it. Unfortunately all the continuous high angle circling made me sick (didn't barf). So still have to build tolerance. On the plus side, my control is getting better all the time and I can aerotow passably. My instructor suggested I might be ready for takeoffs. I'm back tomorrow so I'll see how it goes. Zooming around the clouds trying to find the clear bits was super fun and very pretty.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

cigaw posted:

That's super neat! I really want to go get some glider experience. How're landings in a glider? Do you have the option to go around at all if it looks bad?

Congrats! :toot:

The landings depend on the pilot. I haven't done any myself, but all the instructors have done really smooth landings except the very first who hit the ground like it owed him money. Half a dozen really hard bounces.

As for going around? Not really. I suppose if you have a motor glider you could go around, but otherwise in a normal glider over you've got low enough, you're landing whether you like it or not. The idea is to set it up so that it doesn't "look bad" in the first place.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Started nose and wing stalls yesterday. I have decided that I do not like the sudden sight of ALL THE FUCKEN GROUND that comes with a wing drop. :piss: :supaburn: Enough g's pulled to get out of them for me, thank you very much. Super pissed I forgot to set up my GoPro for that flight. The first time the instructor did the wing drop was loving terrifying. Forcing myself to do the maneuver myself was not easy.

Also at least the instructor was a youngish, fit dude. Most of the instructors are old as poo poo and hearing about old dude's quadruple bypass does not inspire a lot of confidence for when I eventually do proper spin training. I've got a lot of motivation to get my landings and spin recoveries absolutely perfect on the first try though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Its more for vanity journalling and for stuff to show my friends and parents later than anything else. I don't see it as a distraction. Camera goes on before take off, and switched off after landing. I don't even notice it while in flight.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Rolo posted:

Also reason number whatever: dealing with absolute morons that have money.

I’ve been asked to disable the WiFi because of the radiation, to not make eye contact, to angle the door away from the FBO, to not let more than one line personnel near the plane, to take off smooth so their ears don’t pop, to PRAY WE SURVIVE. I’m not joking about that one. Rolo, will you lead us in prayer so god will keep us safe on our six figure ski weekend?

"No because God isn't real and you're the proof"

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gliding training is going well! I had the sky to myself yesterday and had my longest flight so far. Even got some thermalling done.

Also barfed, despite all the precautions taken, which was a first. Hopefully tolerance comes soon.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Animal posted:

This is cool, I wanna fly gliders. What made you throw up, the bumps and sudden changes in altitude?

Heat (hotter day than I'd experienced so far) combined with dizziness from constant banking in a bumpy thermal. I tried to stay hydrated which might have been the exact wrong move as the few sips of water reminded my brain that I had a digestive system and then :barf:

Could have been worse. In time I'll have an iron stomach. Still the longest flight so far and probably the most adverse conditions for my guts to handle till now, so net improvement overall. My total flying time is like 2 hours only anyway, so considering that, my tolerance has improved from my first flight where I felt very ill in perfectly still and calm conditions, and the aerotow doesn't bother me at all anymore.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 16, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

All that sounds fantastic.

Shame about the dudes who don't fly with a radio at all, or just switch them off even if they have them installed.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Fly a glider. Can't have engine out crash if you never had one in the first place. *Man_tapping_temple.png*

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

HissCFIT

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Let’s do stalls in a light twin over a populated area at 1500agl, oh also uncoordinated as gently caress because why not.

:catstare:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Woof. I barfed last time out in the glider but tight circling in hot turbulent air for lift does bad things to a body. Hopefully I'll get over it. Putzing about in a powered plane is gentle as hell by comparison.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Went gliding again for the first time since September yesterday and had to cut down to a 10 minute flight because the motion sickness and heat got to me right away :saddowns:

I think I must have lost some of my conditioning because I've been far longer through more turbulent flying before so I get to build up again. Oh well I've got some time off over the holidays to get going again and at least this time I didn't barf. Looking forward to having it properly under control.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Get him in a glider once he’s a little older, you can solo a glider at 14 instead of 16 like a power airplane.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

MrChips posted:

This tho. Gliders own hard and everyone should fly them!

:yeah:

Flew 4 times this week after a long break. The first time back I realised I'd lost a lot of my airsickness tolerance and have to build up again.

The instructor said my tow was perfect after the last flight though so hopefully takeoffs/landings in full soon :unsmith: