Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

Oh my loving god what the gently caress is wrong with these people?

Pension too high - had spare change in pockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like a perfect cue to remove pilots from autopilots.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sleepy gary posted:

I mean, at least the Air Canada moron went around.

edit: ok I guess that video wasn't really an auto-land attempt.
Yeah, that's also pilot error. :v:

And I was joking if it isn't obvious, you obviously want someone around for when the computer breaks. It is true, however, that computers have a far better track record these days.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.flightradar24.com/BOE004/e54ad6b

:lol:

zoom out

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats why I was surprised that the official procedure for a flameout landing for any aircraft ever would be "don't"

I've read the MiG-21 flight manual a few years ago, the phrase "cut throttle, disengage fuel pumps, and vacate the vehicle immediately" pops up on several occasions, including the "failure to restart engine in flight" section, it owns. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Saukkis posted:

As a glider pilot that concept also sounds weird. Either you are close enought to the airfield for a glide or you aren't.
Heh, yeah.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about about F-104, but since it's similar in age, role and configuration (late 50s, mach 2 interceptor, more a long jet powered pipe with some stabilizing winglets than a plane) as a MiG-21 I'm going to assume it's similar enough in characteristics too, which would also mean the correct and safe way to land one is at 70-80% N1.

The MiG, specifically, also features blown flaps, which obviously don't work if you don't have power. I'm sure it's possible to land one after a total loss of thrust, but considering how many of these planes were built it was probably considered cheaper to just ditch the plane and not risk the pilot dying performing an unpowered landing in a plane that lands at 320-340km/h.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Carth Dookie posted:

Load up DCS and try it. :pilot:

I deleted DCS because it runs like poo poo :shobon: Used the space to install IL-2 instead, that thing is so loving rad in VR, I load it up basically every evening I have some time now. It's not a real polikarpov, but it's about as close as you can get without owning one I think.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

So why are they delivering so few? Just because there are no pilots, or because they're so expensive?

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mortabis posted:

This isn't accurate. There are lies, drat lies, and CPI over long time scales.

sorry i posted the wrong graph, i'll find the correct one tomorrow if you want

the tl;dr though is, wages adjusted for inflation have been stagnating since the 70s, but since poo poo like rents, education and healthcare have been rising faster than inflation, people get to spend the majority of their paychecks on those things, and the middle class is disappearing.

purchasing power is totes better now, though, because I can buy a 4k tv for fifty bux. :v: