Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

I know they've got a bit of a Benedict Arnold image in the industry, but PSA is offering two round-trip, confirmed (not NRSA/non-rev, confirmed) tickets to any AA destination to any new employee who has a hire date on or before July 1, 2017. Apparently, even part-time employees may be eligible.

I...I love the aviation job I have now in Western Ohio, but god drat. :stonklol: Is this generosity or are they that desperate?

That doesn't seem very enticing. What's the max that could be worth? $3-4K?

Maybe if it was business/first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

They're advertising it as a $6,000 value based on a CLT-MXP round-trip priced May 31st.

I tried to think of the farthest place I could go on it if I were to do it (CMH-SYD) and am surprised to see a 10 day trip leaving next Sunday is $1,376 round trip (CMH-LAX-SYD and back) on a refundable ticket. I guess it's low season there, though. CMH-ORD/DFW-NRT is $2,064.

Yeah June is pretty poo poo in Sydney. Decent up on the Gold Coast though.

Check out CMH-KNO if you really wanna push the cost of an economy ticket.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I used to fly through ORD 2 or 4 times a month, and probably once every 6 weeks or so we'd go on the missed due to spacing.. well that's usually what we were told and it always happened when the ceiling was very low.

Edit: Once in an ERJ145 people started to panic a bit because we had been in the clouds for a while and when the pilot started the missed approach procedures it was a little rougher than most people are accustomed to. One guy looked out the window and pointed to the wing saying "look! there are icicles forming on the wing!", which increased the level of panic of those around him.

It was the static dischargers. I explained this but people seemed unconvinced.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 29, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: wrong thread.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

EDIT: Especially the dude who always keeps coming up with excuses for why he made a mistake. No, you didn't make a mistake because the controller had the mic too close to his mouth or the wind was gusting or whatever the gently caress, you made a mistake because we are all humans who fall well short of perfection, and sometimes we just need to admit our mistakes and deal with them.

Yikes.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Yeah, it's extremely difficult to teach someone who thinks that all mistakes come from somewhere other than themselves. Mistakes will happen, to students and to the rest of us, and I don't know how to get through to this guy that, for example, landing halfway to the side of the runway didn't just happen because there was a weird crosswind gust, it happened because there was a weird crosswind gust and then you didn't react to it or there was a gust that destabilized the approach to an unacceptable degree and then you didn't pull up and go around. Or, hell, maybe ATC did give you a weird, unclear instruction -- it happens -- but if you just acknowledge it without a readback and/or understanding it, it's then on you when something goes wrong.

One time he even used the example of another plane doing something wrong, to excuse why he did something completely different wrong. "See? He didn't understand what the controller was saying either!" Well, except that I was in the plane at the time, I heard exactly what happened, and another of my students was solo in that other plane, and we had a discussion about what went wrong and how to avoid it in the future. So, I'd send that other student solo again knowing he wouldn't make the same mistake twice. The excuses guy? Not a chance at this point. This dude is a case study in human factors.

Yeah that dude is gonna be the next Jerry if he gets his ticket.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
*Delta laughs in MadDog*

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Reactor posted:

:rip: 15/33, and soon 4L/22R. I had to take X-wind landings from FOs this weekend not because they sucked (they actually flew well) but because it was out of company limits for them.

I was wondering why we departed ORD with a direct crosswind across the runway. I didn’t realize they closed those crosswind runways.

We also took an intersection departure which was unusual for me. I haven’t been on many commercial flights that have done that.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KodiakRS posted:

I wish we did. We have a lot of weak pilots who don't realize just how weak they are. A few of them have become pissed off at me when I said I'd be more comfortable taking the landing in sketchy conditions. I know a captain is supposed to mentor their first officer but there's a difference between mentoring and teaching basic airmenship. Landing a jet with 80 people onboard in a 30 knot crosswind is not an appropriate place for the latter.

ORD departs from their main inboard runway (10L/28R) at intersections. This allows them to cross aircraft that have just landed on the outboard runways behind them so departing aircraft never have to worry about arrivals crossing the departure runway in front of them.

How long have they been doing that? I went through ORD almost weekly 2013-2014 and I don’t recall any.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Arson Daily posted:

Die hard 2 was a documentary filmed in real time

I love the giant dial they have to lower the field elevation or whatever the gently caress it is they’re doing. So realistic.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

As realistic as the "too little fuel to be redirected part" because BWI and DCA aren't a stone's throw away.

I’d like to think eventually some of those crews would just say “ok somethings hosed we’re going to PHL”.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Did large commercial airliners have TAWS back then? And I feel like, given how the change was represented as purely a glide slope change without an approach fix location change, the required rate of descent to stay on the glide slope would be obviously too high and the crew would notice.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

An unrealistic depiction of aviation topics in the media and/or by journalists? I'm extremely shocked and dismayed.

I thought Die Hard was all about realism

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I know guys I was looking for a gif of that and couldn’t find it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
drat ATC is lit af I had no idea

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

My new worst student found a new way to scare the poo poo out of me. Today, he showed me what I like to call the “anti-flare,” which involved an approach into ground effect, much like a normal flare, and then instead of just sort of being lazy and touching down on the nosewheel with no flare, he did a short push to really force that fucker onto the nosewheel.

In the debrief he claimed he landed on the mains. What the gently caress do I do with this guy? He was a cunthair off of a propstrike and/or actual nosewheel damage and he refuses to even admit he did this. 60 hours in, and I’m scared as poo poo of sending him solo (he has gone solo; his last one ended with a CADORS and a legendary liveatc recording).

He should not be a pilot, this is not an appropriate career path for him, but the school doesn’t want to kick him out. Poor fucker drives truck for work and is probably going into debt for this and I just feel like poo poo about him continuing to piss money away.

Please don’t just pass him on. I don’t want to die on some regional flight because this dipshit can’t learn from his mistakes.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I’ve been flying Frontier lately because they’re the only carrier with a non-stop on the route I need.

Their takeoff and landing profiles seem unusual to me. On departure, the roll seems excessively long and we frequently don’t rotate until the piano keys, and the chevrons go by uncomfortably soon after takeoff. Then, the climb out is insanely slow. It felt like it took forever to hit 10k and eventually cruise. I was shocked at how long the slats were out.

Here’s a comparison of the flight I was on to a similar type that departed just prior to my flight but operated by United. The difference in pace is clear.

Is this a fuel savings strategy by frontier? I thought getting up to thinner air faster, and getting the aircraft clean faster in the climb would be more efficient.

Frontier A321

United A320

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AWSEFT posted:

321, especially one with as many seats as Frontier will be a dog. Plus, if there is runway beyond the "end" of the runway we can sometimes use that for takeoff performance. So they probably flex as much as they can. A 320 is quite a bit lighter and I bet they've got some first class seats (making it lighter again). It isn't unusual to leave the flaps out longer to meet the speed/altitude requirements, the 321 speeds can be quite a bit higher than the 320 speeds (again, weight). Finally, everyone has different climb profiles. Pretty much all of them are 250 to 10k but I've certainly waited to speed up above 10k if I'm pointed the wrong direction.

Thanks. I didn’t realize the 321 was so bad.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you've got a student that isn't afraid of weather that's a good thing, just encourage them to fly for southwest so they can be with their people

I had never had the opportunity to see flashing thunderheads up close and personal until I flew Southwest recently.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That’s what, a $25k upgrade?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Apollo posted:

6k for 430w.....
5k for g5......

I’m hoping for 15k fully installed but who know anymore.

I thought each g5 was $5k.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

Is there anything on why a captain would want to go out on a fully loaded plane like that?

The cockpit was the only place he felt at peace anymore, so that’s where he wanted to go out. According to the article he would just sit in his house alone between flights.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So is air travel going to suddenly get much more expensive due to the pilot shortage or will the government intervene?

Or will all regional flights in 2025 be flown by 20 year old Chinese nationals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So it’s just like wage work where paying everyone at McDonalds at least $15/hr would only raise the price of a Big Mac meal by $0.35 but that would be FILTHY COMMUNISM?