Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Finish it or you will regret it in the future. I know many people who do. You'll feel a great deal of self fulfillment once you are done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Seriously, gather some inner strength to get the motivation to finish it. I know people who have hosed up far worse than you and are now Delta pilots, if that means anything to you. Once you finish it you will come here to thank us for encouraging you. If you don't finish it, you will always be the "I trained to be a pilot and have xx many hours but I didn't finish" guy with the inner sadness that always depresses me.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Did my full checkride practice. I would have particalled it because I really sucked at the workflow for a precautionary landing because I'd only ever done it the one time during my training and never practiced since then.

And I stalled entering slow flight (lolwut, first time that's happened ever) because I've actually been practicing slow flight all wrong this entire time; with my flaps up. Apparently once I drop them to 25 it'll be so easy it'll be funny because I've had so much practice doing it in clean config.

Hopefully a little chair flying and a little practice and I'll have a PPL by next weekend.

EDIT: also, for the last couple of days I've been actually enjoying doing airplane things.

You've got this.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just wanna know how much you make so I can tell my regional pilot friends to become balloon pilots

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Oh my loving god what the gently caress is wrong with these people?

That's actually part of my walk-around inspection ritual. I haven't had an engine failure yet so it works

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I'll probably start B-767 captain training soon. I haven't bothered checking when I'll get it so I'm sure I will be notified by a friend and then I'll be super stressed out trying to catch up on all the studying I should be doing already

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

Wow that seems really quick. You've only been with them about a year right?

A year and a half. Upgrade is down to 2.5 years, expected to drop down to 2 years thanks to Amazon. I have been bidding all the flying to crazy destinations so at least I'll have some experience. Don't wanna be the clueless captain with a brand new FO who fucks up and violates airspace over some conflict zone. A few weeks ago I had to go-around at Incheon (thanks Air China for stopping to do your after landing checklist right there on the active runway) and let me tell you, when you are just a few miles from the North Korean border, you make drat sure your missed approach procedure is spot-on.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yep, if you think about it, it's scary. The way attrition is going, with negotiations for a competitive contract in a stalemate, a lot of the new hires are regional FO's with not an hour of PIC time outside of their instructor days. They may fly the 767 for a few hours a month for two years (a guy from my Feb 2016 class hasn't even finished consolidating), and then they will upgrade after maybe two and a half years. At which point if things in Congress go a certain way, they may possibly be flying with a sub-1000 hour FO who doesn't even have regional experience...

...with a couple of hundred US soldiers sitting in the back, around conflict airspace, with Trump in power.

Let that sink in.

This is an awesome job with a fantastic pilot group (for now), flying insanely sweet aircraft; but with a really stupid management group bordering on criminally negligent. I'm having a blast, but unless we get a good contract yesterday to attract quality pilots in command, it's a powder keg.

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 9, 2017

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Complete shot in the dark, but I'm based out of Chicago and interested in learning to fly. Anyone around the Midwest that could help me reduce the cost of a private certificate in any way? Sorry if this is frowned upon, I figured a slim chance to reduce any amount from $10k would be worth it. :)

Get over to Texas and fly with Captain Apollo. He'll give you a huge discount if you are immune to CO2 poisoning.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

No pilot WANTS to live in the shithole of EWR/LGA/JFK/HPN but EVERYONE is based there. We need to set up a goon meet (I'm not flying to DTW again unless I have to).

Uhh... I'm the weirdo who lives in Brooklyn cause I love it, yet work for an airline that allowed me to live wherever I want.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Hey Animal, seen you around SA and didn't realize you were a pilot. How did you get your start?

Thanks for the info guys, I am excited to schedule my next real lesson and open my wallet wide!

If anyone is ever around ORD/MDW/PWK with a rental or whatever for fun let me come with :)

Hey!

I soloed when I was 19, but didn't get into a serious structured program until I was 24 because of a combination of youthful irresponsibility, lovely flight school with rotating door for CFI's, and poverty. I started out in Puerto Rico, but ended up getting all my ratings in an accelerated flightschool in Florida (Sunstate Aviation in Kissimmee.) I feel accelerated flight schools are fantastic for the right person who is self motivated. I also instructed at Sunstate as a CFI. All of my ratings up to CFI ended up costing about $30k. Sadly, I became a commercial pilot right before the recession, so I spent a few years in limbo doing lovely CFI, cargo, charter work in the Caribbean. In 2012 when things got a bit better I ended up at ExpressJet (ASA side flying CRJ's), and from then I moved on to my current job flying Boeing 767. At the moment I am soaking up as much experience as possible flying around the globe and adjusting my mindset to become a 767 captain which will happen in less than a year. Or I can postpone it and wait for the Boeing 747 upgrade which should happen in about two years and change. I have to choose because once you get on the seat you are locked to that seat for three years. After I get some sweet widebody PIC I'll start thinking again about where to move on next.

One of my dreams is to be in a financial situation that will allow me to get back into general aviation to fly for fun, maybe even co-own my own aircraft.

I really, really miss flying Cessnas around just for fun and to eat $100 burgers. Those were the days. I'm jealous of those of you who are flight training or recreational pilots.

Animal fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 31, 2017

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I recovered the 30 pounds of charred remains of a 22 year old pilot from a Cessna 206 wreck a couple days ago. Didn't know the guy super well, but he had been a familiar face in the area this year. VFR into IMC in mountainous terrain. Pretty sobering, fly safe folks.

Where? And only 30lbs? What exactly remained? Not trying to be morbid, but I'm always curious about the state of the people after crashes so I can understand what will happen to me if I gently caress up

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

A few.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

Red-eye Transcons suck.

CPDLC is awesome and makes you incredibly lazy.

New gig?

CPDLC is indeed the poo poo but thats offset by how lame HF is when you have to use it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

Yep. I posted in here about it. Driving an Airbus now.

HF isn't bad when SELCAL is working. I kind of enjoy 30+ minutes of radio silence.

Searched your post history, must have missed it or been drunk, congrats. I see you are spending time in NY, let me know if you wanna meet here since we didn't meet in DTW (though we probably crossed paths dozens of times)

How about a Goon Pilots NYC Meet? I can throw something in my backyard or one of the craft beer places nearby where I live (Clinton Hill, Brooklyn)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You guys need to get together an plan a RSV Hobbit like expedition all the way out to Brooklyn

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Didn't an Allegiant captain get in trouble (or even fired) because he evacuated an airplane after what he determined was a mechanical emergency on the ground?

-edit-
Here it is
http://abcnews.go.com/US/pilot-sues-allegiant-malicious-firing-emergency-evacuation/story?id=35165366

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

vessbot posted:

Complete ignorance of everything going on around you is by choice.

This is a thread about aviation not philosophizing about the American condition

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ausgezeichnet posted:

Very cool, congrats!

This is honestly the most hosed up thing I have heard about regional airlines and I worked for three back in the 90's. Junior manned into the left seat - what a cocked up situation.

It's Kafkaesque and scary as gently caress. If someone doesn't feel ready for the upgrade and says no, will they be disciplined for refusing to take it?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

Updated. I'm up in JFK. Goon meet?

I'm down on the second week of November

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Man, what a flight yesterday. Doing a 10 day long charter for a hockey team in a nice 767 owned by a well known billionaire. Except that its an older model and has some quirks.

2.5hr flight. On take-off we get a R ENG BLEED failure indication, then the automation decides to go HAL9000 and just not do anything we wanted to do. So while I am flying an RNAV departure on raw data, the captain is trying to communicate with ATC and then deal with the EICAS problem. After 20,000ft the automation unscrewed itself after switching modes and autopilots lke crazy. We continue the flight with the right engine bleed valve closed, which means only one PACK. Fine.

One hour into a smooth clear day flight, as we are eating the best catering I've ever had, we hit moderate to near severed mountain wave turbulence just east of BZN. No warning. We were the first aircraft to get it. The autopilot did a great job not disconnecting, but I had to toss my food aside just to get a grip of the controls. Plane was being tossed around so bad that the captain had a hard time adjusting the speed knob. And of course the flight attendants are doing their full service, so they and their food carts go zero G. Supposedly one of them made it all the way up to the ceiling. There was broken glass, food, bags, clothes, etc everywhere. They were lucky they only suffered few sprained ankles and emotional trauma. These were the young, fit flight attendants that they use for charters. I can't imagine how our elderly, overweight FA's that they use for other kinds of PAX flights would have fared.

After handling that we pressed on to our destination, where 35-40kt winds waited for us. Luckily they were only 20 degrees off the runway centerline. Great landing by yours truly. Felt like a 7 hour flight.

I can't imagine how a smaller plane would have gone through that clear air turbulence. In my 10 years of flying professionally I've been through some rough chop but this was nuts, a B767 getting tossed around as if it were a Cessna.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

overdesigned posted:

Hey, go ahead and add "Naval Aviator" to my name on the list, willya? Carrier qualified on the Lincoln yesterday.

Guess I oughta start looking into taking the tests to get my FAA instrument and commercial soon.

Nice. What aircraft?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I forgot to mention, it happened at FL360. I didn't think mountain wave went that high.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I’ll be on a long Vancouver layover. Hoping we make another meet. Pilot meets LOL half of them will call out (unless mainline recruiters will be there)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The ideal scenario is to go to a good school in a small-ish airport that's near large airports. That way you don't spend half your block time taxiing but you get the airspace experience.
I did my training in KISM instead of KORL and it was great, short taxii's, next to P-51's and Spitfires.

Except that I had to endure living in central FL, but that trauma is in the past now.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

vessbot posted:

"Confirm?"
"Nope"
*hits execute anyway*
*plane starts flying toward wrong fix*

“Heading select please, right turn to 160°”
“ROGER”
*flight director starts turning left*

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

vessbot posted:

I don't get it, was it one of those where the specified direction is the long way around?

Yep.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

LOL at regional FO’s making more than a widebody FO in certain airlines who sue their pilot group so they can stall and delay contract negotiations

I had my first “bad” landing in a 767, firm enough that two oxygen masks dropped. It was a complete surprise as speed and flare were on point and I have only had awesome ego boosting landings for the past two years. But going into the NAP airport is a steep approach into a sloping runway, with a heavy jet downward momentum is a bitch. Next time I fly there I’ll add an extra 5kts to VRef and shallow it out before the flare.

Animal fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 24, 2017

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I can attest that NYC is a great city for Tinder.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You can get around paying taxes in NYC as a pilot if you do your due diligence. If you are NYC based, just rent a room as your crashpad. Keep wherever your real home is as your residence, keep that state's drivers license, and try to keep a paper trail. So if its your parents house, pay for their water bill or whatever. In order to be considered a resident of NYC you have to be there for 90 consecutive days, and as a pilot you will not do that. Get an aviation accountant and you are set. Perfectly legal, you just work in NYC but that's not "home". As long as you don't stay there for many years and do something stupid like starting a family there, you will be fine.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AutisticAwl posted:

What you mean “career stop”?

At least for pilots, it means it’s good enough a job that if you get it you don’t have to worry about interviewing for another airline ever again.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rekinom posted:

Signs you're not a good pilot during training:

1. crashed during a routine takeoff

2. flew inverted

3. crashed during a routine ILS

0.5. Did not know how to start the engines

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Spam Musubi posted:

I’m going to do my first solo today. Wish me luck.

Good luck! Let us know if you laughed uncontrollably.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Nuggan posted:

Had my first experience with how fast weather can sneak up on you yesterday.

I rented the plane for a few hours to take a friend up and get some practice in, but when we got to the airport it was raining. I figured we'd just sit around and wait it out, and sure enough after about 30 minutes there was a beautiful clear sky to see the sun hanging low and everything shining gold on the ground. We go up in what is practically perfect weather, not even a breeze, and get about 20 minutes of sightseeing in the local area when I notice some low clouds forming directly over my home airport.

I immediately turn to head back, but by the time I get close there is a thick cover of clouds at ~500 feet over the entire area. I debated waiting a bit to see if they would blow over, but given how fast they came in I decided to immediately divert to the executive airport downtown and land before any other bad weather surprises me. After a quick scramble to look up frequencies and punch it into the gps I made it over there and pulled off one of the smoothest landings I've ever done.

Now I'm just feeling dumb for going up after the rain like that, and am hoping the weather clears up at some point today so that I can get the plane home. :/

Nothing to be ashamed of, you did exactly the right thing. Good job PIC.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You must have a heavy flight bag!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

All my friends who went from regional pilots to United pilots say the same thing: it's just the same poo poo-show as a regional operation except with bigger airplanes and international flights.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

6 years as an airline pilot, never commuted and that may be the reason I've been so happy to do this job. I packed my bags and lived in both DTW and ATL when I worked for a regional and not only it was great living in base and driving 15 minutes to work, but I had a great time living in those places. I'm now working for an ACMI carrier where I choose where I want to live and they buy me plane tickets and hotels to go to work and ironically I choose to live in Brooklyn. Life is good. Commuting is for suckers and people who had children way too early (suckers). Unless you are taking care of your deathbed parents moving to another town is easier than you think, and its actually one of the FEATURES of being a flight crew. If I get to get hired at a legacy airline I'll once again move to the most junior base, which probably means renewing my lease here in NYC.

By the way one of the most annoying ways to be as an airline pilot is be someone who bitches no-stop about your commute. Shut up. You made your bed now lie in it, stop crying about it while the other guy is trying to his/her job. Especially if you are a junior captain commuting to a base where your FO lives in. Just suck it up and shut up because nothing makes you come across as a bigger loser than crying about commuting to a "poo poo-hole" town when your FO makes half what you make and has consciously chosen to live there and has managed to have a great time.

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 6, 2018

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I’ve had the metal one for five years. Heavy as gently caress but it’s a tank. Only problems I’ve had have been the handle mechanism and squeaky wheel, both which I fixed myself with a screwdriver and WD-40. I may send it to get refurbished to extend its life, if it’s significantly cheaper than buying their newer plastic model.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah if you charge me $120 for my dog please don't kill it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ugh can't he just go to job fairs and drop on his knees like the rest of us?