Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Perhaps this could be added to the OP.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474976

I intended it to be just about Ultralights and Homebuilts but it has turned into a catch all for my aviation which is more on the fun side rather than the professional side.

I even updated all the broken tinypic links from my first year of ultralight flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

So I'm doing an engine overhaul on my Cherokee 180. I've got a lycoming 360. Ask me any questions.

What occurred with your engine that pushed you to overhaul it?

Seconding the just get a GTN650 or a new Avidyne.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

So what the gently caress happen to your engine?

You are doing a very lovely AMA

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Hey I was going through my ultralight thread a while back and noticed a comment you had made that went right over my head at the time you made it.

It was about me possibly flying with people you know.

Send me an email helno at rocketmail.com

helno
Jun 19, 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaled_Composites_Proteus

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I used to fly NORDO regularly in my ultralight.

However I kept my head on a swivel and flew at altitudes and in ways to avoid the common routes that everyone else flew.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Something else to consider is that NORDO is the only way that deaf pilots can operate.

It would be kind of a dick move to not allow them to fly in uncontrolled airspace.

There are many situations where someone has a radio and it does not provide any assistance to situational awareness (wrong frequency, turned down, etc.)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Nuggan posted:

I'm thinking of building a radio receiver with a raspberry piece to be able to get in flight weather with Foreflight.

Anyone else done this or have one?

I have built a ton of them. I distribute them on amazon.ca and designed the case that most people use (Get the one listed on Stratux.me the Summitlink case sucks).

Works great and the price is right. The Stratux community is great and If you have any questions people are eager to help.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Even if you don't end up using it in the air you can always load piaware or adsbexchange to feed those networks with the same hardware.

Stratux.me has all the parts listed to DIY one and there are a bunch of people selling them preassembled.

The sales volume is pretty crazy. I 3d printed and sold 60 of those cases in 2016. We got it injection molded in June of 2017 and have sold 6700 of them.

It is likely the most common ADS-B receiver in use, kind of hard to pin down firm numbers when people can make them from parts you have no control over.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Anyone else here headed to Sun n fun?

Heading down Thursday to make some horrible financial decisions regarding avionics.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I don't think you can see the spar caps on a Piper Arrow without installing an access panel or drilling off some rivets and pulling the skin back.

I don't think the rest of the PA28 family is any different but this is what the spar caps look like on a Cherokee. The nuts protrude and have a little cover.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

PT6A posted:

Twin Otters, which actually have to be optimized for performance and price/efficiency.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

There is an open house happening at the local airport tomorrow so I dragged my project plane out and put the wings on today.

First time this has been in one piece in over 10 years.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Well just wrote the check for an extensive panel upgrade (well at least my 50% share of it).

Dual G5's
GTN650
GTX335
GMA340
JPI fuel flow
FS210

All new antenna's , headset jacks, and associated wiring.

The GPS and G5's will be tied in to my Stec-50 for GPSS.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

That is what I have heard.

The G5 HSI costs less than an Stec GPSS converter and an analog CDI so it was a no brainer.

Having the FS really devalued having panel mounted ADS-B IN. You are going to be flying with a tablet anyways so why not just use that to display weather and traffic rather than trying to shoehorn it onto the small screen of the GTN.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I actually preferred the UI of the IFD440 over the GTN650 after playing with both.

However there are paperwork issues with using an IFD with G5's since Canada does not do the whole minor mod thing.

Avidyne also limits you to Jeppesen for databases so it is about $150 year more for the exact same data.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

You can always look for a used ANR headset.

The Bose X can be found for $3-400. Just be sure to pay attention to the listing to be sure it is a dual GA plug headset.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

How superficial am I for wanting to train in the Archer instead of the 172 because the Archer has a proper throttle lever? (And not because it’s :10bux: cheaper)

I own a Cherokee with a "proper" throttle quadrant. It sucks compared to a typical throttle and mixture knob.

Leaning the mixture consists of making a very large movement and then doing your actual leaning in the 1/4" of travel that actually has an effect before hitting idle cutoff. On a normal mixture you would be rotating the knob and making use of the vernier fine tuning, this is not possible on a lever.

Most of the time I hold the throttle by the base of the lever with my hand on the base to avoid inadvertent movement due to turbulence.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

simble posted:

To change the subject - Anyone going to AirVenture in a few weeks? Anyone have any must sees/dos?

I am.

See and do whatever floats your boat. Don't try to plan your day to heavily of you wont make it to half of it or you will miss out on just walking into interesting things.

Get to at least one night airshow and try to get a taste of each area regardless of your interest level. The ultralight area has some very interesting things to see and many people do not take the time to get down to it.

USE THE TRAMS. You will be walking several miles a day regardless.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

A lot of people camp either at the campgrounds or under the wing if they fly in.

Last year and again this year I’m staying at a rented house.

Forget about hotels unless you want to commute from Appleton or Fon du lac and still pay hundreds per night.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Goonmeet?

We should just go to whatever day the /r/flying meetup is and awkwardly ask if anyone has stairs in there house.

I'm flying in.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Lots of news is the portable ADS-B market.

Foreflight released the Sentry http://flywithsentry.com/ Dual Band with AHRS and CO detection for $500. Made by uAvionix and sold via amazon just like the Scout from last summer. Sadly like the Scout and Stratus 2s it will only work with Foreflight because gently caress you that's why.

Appareo counters with the Stratus 3 with open support for other EFB's and a lower cost. https://twitter.com/Appareo_/status/1017138466218487808

So this seems to mark the end of AFS which was the contract for software, hardware, and marketing between Appareo, Foreflight, and Sportys.

Meanwhile Stratux doesn't give a gently caress and still lets you DIY it for ~$150 http://stratux.me/

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Annual inspection complete.

Got to love spending a day with a mechanic pulling your plane apart.

Fixed my slightly wobbly passenger seat. Spent more time struggling to get it back on the rails than fixing the wobble.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Just dropped my plane off for a panel upgrade.

Quote says 80 hours of labour. Anyone want to place a bet on when it will be ready?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

Woah are you the Stratux dude? If so I loving love that poo poo! Been flying all over the country and having that available is such an amazing tool for such a small price!

I played a small part in it. /u/strangerwithadvice deserves far more credit than I do for Stratux. He wrote most of the code, I just made a nice looking box to hold all the parts.

They are pretty popular (we sold 20k of my cases in the last year) not too shabby for something that started out as a simple GDL90 interpreter for Dump978.

Stratux certainly connected me with an interesting group of people.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Is anyone here using a Stratux while up in the flight levels?

If so send me a PM. Might have some new hardware for you to test.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Not sure if this has come up previously.

What APP or book gets the goon seal of approval for IFR ground school?

Looking for Canadian stuff specifically.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

So this happened. Not pictured fuel flow.

Also this.

So loving bright. And I can leave the strobes on without hearing an annoying whine over the intercom.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I'm actually a bit concerned that it is going to be very difficult to do partial panel flying if they fail them both.

So much information in one place.

The G5 drives the autopilot a lot better than the worn out Stec DG.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

So just to add some more details here is what was done.

Remove

ADF, Loran-C, KX175, all associated antennas, vacuum gyros and vacuum system, remove position lights and strobes.

Install

GTN650
GTX335
GMA345
Dual G5's
FS210
FS-450
Whelen Orion 600 series nav lights
Update Stec-50 to accept GPSS from G5 HSI
Add copilot PTT
New jacks all four seats both lemo 6 pin and dual GA

Not cheap by any means but it moves this plane into the 21st century.

This cost more than the initial purchase price of the aircraft. However the aircraft market has changed a lot. Try to find a Cherokee 180 with a low time engine and autopilot for $30k CAD these days.

Looking back at the last 50 years that this plane has been in service it has typically had a significant investment in the panel every 20 years. Adjusted to 2018 dollars this actually cost less than the Stec-50 and KX-155 install that was done in the late 90's.

helno fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 6, 2018

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Anyone here still involved with Ottawa Aviation Services (OAS)?

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/9w2i82/canada_is_anyone_here_studying_or_working_at/

helno
Jun 19, 2003

So lets talk CO detection.

I bought one of these. https://sensorcon.com/products/portable-carbon-monoxide-detector-meter They have a discount for pilots currently "aircraft2017" is the code.

Pretty shocking to see the levels fluctuate during flight and ground manoeuvring.

In the air it was 4-10 ppm depending on how the vents were configured. On the ground it was 10-36 with the 36 showing up when I turned around at the pumps.

Those paper things really don't seem very useful after this.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Have you had one age out?

The standard life is 2 years and it can be extended with regular calibrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

If you can hear him you are too close.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

===
All pilots who have flown FLOWN flown the GNX 375, give me a PIREP.
===

You and I have basically the same plane.

I did dual G5's and a GTN650 before the GNX375 was released. Also installed a FS210 for flight plan transfer.

Still would have gone for the GTN650 and dual G5's. I still use a portable ADS-B for IN since I really don't care about having it on the tiny screen of a GTN650 when I can have it on a huge ipad screen. Flight plan transfer is far more valuable to me than ADS-B IN on the panel.

I can't remember what you have for a com/nav 2 but I have a KX-155 so it is my GTN gets fried backup system.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

It works well on the yoke of a Cherokee.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

What mount? I have a ram mount when I would keep the iPad on the windshield but with all my upgrades I’ll mount it to the yoke. Any mount you prefer to mention?

The mount in the picture I posted was 3d printed.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2078469/

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

The question is:

WILL ANYBODY INSURE IT?

For liability yes and cheap.

For in motion hull insurance not so much.

Back when I flew a Lazair it cost substantially less to insure than a motorcycle. It was something like $150 a year for liability and not in motion hull coverage.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Not sure how many glider pilots are here but I’ve really been enjoying it this summer.

Started this summer by getting checked out for back seat flying in a 2-33 and then started training for the clubs single gliders. Flying the different two seaters was great for getting a feel for the subtle differences between these aircraft.

Despite a few delays due to weather, work, vacations, and maintenance I was finally able to get the checkout done in the 1-34. This Monday I managed to pull off a 3:04 flight from a 2000 foot aerotow. I delayed my first launch to help get a student pilot finished and the timing was perfect to have a nice long flight. None of the thermals were incredibly strong but they were easy to find and took me up to the cloud bases several times. Just about fell on my face when I got out of the plane at the end. Lesson learned bring a bit of water.

https://i.imgur.com/fozKx1h.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

e.pilot posted:

glider gang :hf:

I haven’t flown gliders in far too long, closest I’ve had in the past…poo poo nearly nearly decade now…is loving around in the sim deadsticking the 74 to land

Make some time for it.

These clubs are getting pretty thin on the ground so young people showing interest can get access to some really neat aircraft.