Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Needs to be an updated section on BasicMed.

Any volunteers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I've been hearing about this supposed reticence by physicians to sign off on a Basic Med form. Interestingly, I haven't actually heard of anybody being denied, and even if they were it's not reportable so they can find a physician who is comfy with the idea! This anecdotal evidence and hearsay are doing a lot to destroy some hard fought good intentions.

As a gentle reminder, an overarching principle of BasicMed is that you develop a relationship with your physician. I think we're all overreacting to the supposed fear of denial, but we have to remember that a 3rd class medical denial instantly goes to Ok City, while a BasicMed "refusal" means the patient uses some capitalism to find a doctor that is comfortable with the patient.

I've done some research on this:

Here is the medical exam the Department of Transportation requires for truck drivers:
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/MedicalExaminationReportForm_091616_MCSA_5875.pdf

Here is the medical exam the FAA requires for BasicMed:
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/FAA_Form_8700-2.pdf

The DOT has a search feature where you can find a physician that participates in the DOT signoffs:
https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov/NRPublicUI/home.seam

I used Omaha, NE as an example. Doing a search led to 16 pages worth of medical examiners.

I'm going to try and leave as much snark out of this reply as possible because I think it's important for future, current, and past aviators to be able to see through the "comments section" of this new process.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I'm in texas and can fly it wherever tomorrow. ;) I own a 180D. Where are you trying to get it?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So I'm doing an engine overhaul on my Cherokee 180. I've got a lycoming 360. Ask me any questions.

I am so tempted to also install dual Garmin g5s (AI and HSI) and a 430w and be ads-b compliant (fan USA thing).

However, I am also really tempted to just sell it all (after overhaul) and buy my dream airplane, an S or V35 Bonanza.....

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
PhD, actually.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
430w for 6k or an ifd440 for 11. Am I missing something here?

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 1, 2017

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Dream setup?

Avidyne 440 with the IFD 100(iPad) hooked up to dual Garmin G5's (one HSI and one AI)

Then we TruTrak autopilot gets STC'd for pa-28s then I get a 5k autopilot. Too bad as of today the G5 is not autopilot compatible :S :S

I'm not sure what to think on the 430s. There are SO MANY units I just don't think Garmin could stop supporting them tomorrow.

6k (430w) + 5k (combo G5 package) = 11

11k (avidyne 440) + 5k (combo G5 package) = 16

This would be a way easier decision for a 120k bonanza to go for the newer avionics, but I'm talking about a pa-28-180 aka baby's first airplane.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Dalrain posted:

The main thing is that you're going to spend a ton of money on labor to install the thing, and you'll spend it all again when the old equipment retires.

Well, yeah. But isn't the point of avidyne 440 to be a slide in 430w replacement? Besides, I'm not even sure that avidyne is going to exist in 10 years.

I CERTAINLY hope it does, btw. I really like the avidyne product, but installing a 430w now and saving the extra 5k is basically keeeping it in the bank for the next avidyne product anyway.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rolo posted:

Drinking a beer in a longhorn steakhouse by myself.

That's right,it's FlightSafety time!

Which location?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

SeaborneClink posted:

Let's leave Apollo out of this.

Yeah when he said Drone pilot I was like "okay this obviously isn't a reference to me."

But now, hrm.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

e.pilot posted:

It's super easy to get the UAS cert, literally a 40 question test that you can take until you pass and fill out iacra.

Yeah, hilariously easy. I've signed off like 10 applications already.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well folks, this is the GOLDEN WEEK for General Aviation. Every year the Experimental Aviation...

You know, why do I bother typing this poo poo out, does anybody read this thread except certified nerds and pilots?

Anyway, EAA AirVenture 2017 is happening in Oshkosh this week. If you're a general aviation airplane owner, this week is christmas week.

So far,

1) GFC 500 and GFC 600 autopilots have been introduced. The 500 is for single engine airplanes. Purchase it with a garmin HSI and you get the whole package for 6k. THIS IS HUGE. (GFC 700 is the autopilot coupled with G1000s)
2) TruTrak Autopilots, a huge player in experimental, just got their first STC for 172s and 177s a month or two ago. They are a dead simple autopilot for around 3k installed. Come on pa-28???
3) Garmin G5 - You can buy two of these instruments and have a defecto glass panel and replace your vacuum system. One G5 can be an Attitude indicator, the other can be an HSI
4) Oh yeah, the G5 just got certified to be used with legacy autopilots and the brand new GFC 500.
5) New ADS-B out solutions from Garmin include GDL82 UAT for 1800. No new transponder needed.

And these are all before oshkosh has officially started.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
In other news, I am nearing the closing month of my Lycoming O-360 engine overhaul.

Costs thus far:
4k - Cylinders
5k - Labor and Camshaft and Case
2k - Labor
2k - Bearings and Lifters etc
1k - Exhausts

I never really went into detail, but here is what happened.

My wife and I were flying along and got severe carbon monoxide poisoning. It is incredibly insidious. I was no longer 'pilot in command' I was just basically along for the ride. I 'felt bad' while flying along at 8,000 feet. I was having trouble seeing but not like a total vision loss like you see in video games. I would try to look at the altimeter hand and the long hand would disappear. I thought I just needed to wear my sunglasses and calm down as it had been a busy week. Then I looked down at my iPad and couldn't read the top left corner.

Undeterred, I looked over at my wife. She said she was studying one of her books to study up for her next lecture. She kind of dozed off for a second and I was still trying to figure out why I was having a hard time looking at my instruments. I was only at 8k for the love of god, I was SURELY not hypoxic.

My wife suddenly raised her head and said "Honey, I'm having a really hard time staying awake." It was at that moment that I realized about 30 minutes before hand we had closed off all the air vents in the airplane because we had gotten too cold at altitude. Suddenly I had the validation I needed that it wasn't just me feeling bad, and that something was effecting her too.

I cancelled IFR for a "bathroom break" (reptile brain didn't want to declare an emergency) and made an emergency descent down to the closest airport I could find on my iPad. (Remember I couldn't see the iPad very well but his point). I talked out load the entire landing procedure. Thankfully a Cherokee 180 is an incredibly simple machine to operate.

We got on the landed and parked the airplane. I got out and had the WORST HEADACHE of my life. We were in terrible condition. Both my wife and I and our two dogs felt incredibly bad.

It's really incredible because I never felt bad in the air, it just seemed like something was slightly wrong.

We called my in-laws to come pick us up which was an and hour and a half drive time from our destination.

Anyway, I had my mechanic come up and fly the airplane to his base. It had some very simple cracks in the muffler. Maybe 700 bucks to refurbish both of them.

I told him while we were waiting for mufflers that I wanted to replace a cylinder because the compressions were a little low for my liking at the last annual. He did a compression check and found the compressions to all be below 60. 3 cylinders had broken rings and he estimates weren't making complete power. Truth be told my oil had been black but I thought once I replaced a cylinder I would stop getting oil-blow by through the cylinders.

Anyway, I decided after all of this that I just wanted to start over and overhaul the entire engine. The previous owner about 7 years ago pickled the engine while he went to go fight in Iraq. I think he must not have done it right. He flew it a ton after he got back, but it's odd that all he cylinders decided to go all at once.

Frequently Asked Questions:
1) Apollo you are so dumb, why didn't you look at the Orange SPOT Carbon Monoxide detector?
A: Well, remember, I was having a hard time seeing certain objects. There was no way that my orange little dot on the far side of the cockpit was visible enough to me to be "off." As a result I purchased this when I saw somebody on BeechTalk with almost the exact same incident. https://sensorcon.com/collections/carbon-monoxide-meters (code: aircraft2017) It lights up and buzzes and everything.
2) Apollo you are so dumb, why did you buy an airplane with all these problems?
A: My wife loved this airplane from the time she looked at it. I had a friend from the area do a pre-buy for the airplane. I think he really spent more time flirting with the owners daughter than checking compressions or flying the airplane.
3) Apollo you are so dumb, why did you buy an airplane that had black oil?
A: Lesson learned on this one. When I came in to pick up the airplane, we decided I would fly the airplane with the owner on Day 1, then on Day 2 I would fly it back to my house. Well, he let me fly it home on Day 1. I never checked the oil after the first couple of flights and didn't see it turn black indicating Oil Blow-By.
4) Apollo you are so dumb, why didn't you know about carbon monoxide poisoning?
A: Think hard about the last pilot that talked to you first hand about carbon monoxide poisoning. I bet you can't think of anybody. People usually crash in a field because of it and nobody lives to tell the tale.

Anyway this is an info-dump but I think it's a good story.

tl;dr - Apollo got carbon monoxide poisoning. Further revealed he had some cylinder problems. Decided to do an engine overhaul.

edit: Oh yeah, people also asked me why I didn't carry one of those Pulse Oximeters around so I could check my oxygen rate. Okay, well, that's retarded. See, those pulse oximeters just measure how well your red blood cells have been bound. Typically they bind to red blood cells, but guess what binds at double the rate of oxygen? Yeah, it's carbon monoxide. So you could have a pulse oximeter that is in the high 90s and think you're fine, when it just means that you're super loaded up on Carbon monoxide. Blows.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 23, 2017

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Slaughter posted:

Apollo, that sounds terrifying and I'm glad you're alive to tell the tale. What a story. I always thought those dots were stupid, obviously you should get some kind of blinking loud flashing caution warning thingy.

Yeah I did, I love these from SensorCon.

https://sensorcon.com/collections/carbon-monoxide-meters

Also, those spots are retarded because Carbon Monoxide is coming into the airplane overtime you do a run-up or idling on the ground. Thankfully we usually never do it longer than we have to, but that's one of the reasons the carbon monoxide spot cards get dingy so soon, they're saturated with carbon monoxide on the ground. So you look at it on sunup and its kinda go t black spots already, well now you're already ready to disregard any bad information it gives you.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Nerobro posted:

Have you gotten poo poo elsewhere?

Thanks everyone for the well wishes both in IRC and here. I really would have hated for the NTSB report to be posted here and massive thread on Apolloisms get dug up :)

Yeah, CO is an incredible bitch.

To explain what I mean by how insidious it is. Imagine you're flying along in an airplane and you get a wasp sting. There is a very OBVIOUS stimulus and response. You instantly know something is wrong via pain receptors or some 'identifiable' moment in your brain, right? There is a bug, it stung me, now I have pain.

With CO, that OBVIOUS stimulus and response just isn't there. It slowly takes over the brain, and it takes over the part of the brain that freaks out about something being wrong. I know it would seem rather obvious that something was immediately wrong that I couldn't see an altimeter hand, but my brain just couldn't make sense of it. It was almost like I was drunk, but I had never taken a drink.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

dupersaurus posted:

What's there for a pilot to do if they don't want to make a career out of it and can't afford their own plane, other than occasionally renting a 152 and puttering around a bit for fun when it's nice outside? Is volunteer piloting a thing? I really want to get my license, but it's a lot of money to spend just to tick something off the bucket list.

This is all related to money, but I notice a lot of people aren't good at studying and hitting the books when they get into flying. If you're good at studying and are dedicated to chair flying you can save yourself a lot of money. However, the economics are simple. Bare minimum is still probably around 7k. Do not start flying lessons until you have 7k in a bank unencumbered IMHO. So if it's a bucket list item, make sure it's one you're willing to work for.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

foghorn posted:

Almost the exact same thing happened to me in my Cherokee 180, hypoxia at low altitude on a long cross country flight. Same cause, same fix. Story here.

You mentioned black oil being an indicator of an imminent engine overhaul. What level are we talking here? My oil gets progressively darker as it goes, but no worse than the Cessna I trained on. Compressions are still 70+, oil consumption is about one quart every 10 hours. Is there anything else I should look for or do? Dangling chicken entrails for signs from the piston ring gods?

Wow. Yeah almost the exact same story. I forgot to mention that I had flown the airplane about 10 hours in the previous two days to the accident, in IFR/IMC and that each time I did an instrument approach I remember feeling confused about what I had done (more than normal).

I am not an A&P but:

1) At the next oil change (and every 25 hours subsequently)- do an oil analysis. These are cheap and super cool because you get an awesome analysis back after a week. You are NOT looking for a smoking gun, but an overall trend.

2) my particular oil turned black extremely quickly after an oil change. This is because my rings on my cylinders were allowing oil to blow by the cylinder rings and contaminate the oil. Like it would turn black within an hour or two.

3) I have and will use Camguard. Always. Lycoming 360s leave the cam out of the oil sump. So if it sits for a month or two rust will develop because the cam isn't still oiled up.

4) fly it for at least an hour every 2 weeks, if at all possible. Just to keep the cam lubed up. Although black oil is really a cylinder thing from either the rings losing compression or from metal occuring from the cylinders.

If your compressions are high(good), I would look at the cylinders making metal. If you need to do a cylinder overhaul, replacing all 4 of mine only cost 4K to get new ones that I could use to qualify for my engine overhaul. Sometimes you can overhaul your own for 600 bucks a cylinder!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
If you were to get your license, by the time you've gotten it you'll have made a ton of new friends and acquaintances and somebody is always going flying sometime. It's a cool social network.

I would bet all of us here in the SA forums are probably connected to each other in the flying world by only 3 degrees of separation or so.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
ONE DEGREE OF SEPARATION.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
gently caress it. Who's creating the linkedin?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Somebody create the slack group. I downloaded the app.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Current engine status.

Reassembly begins next week.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

PT6A posted:

The OP needs updated, I'm now officially a commercial pilot!

Congratulations man. Glad you saw it to the finish!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
How many of you airline pilots have hooked up with a flight attendant?

Slaughter - don't answer nobody wants to know.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
TIL I learned that I am homophobic towards Slaughter one of my IRL friends

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay real question.

My google fu is coming up empty here.

Can anybody help me find out how many students train and get their certificates from Part 61 vs 141? I can't seem to find any numbers on this and I am interested for an article I'm writing.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I called the feds

:siren: :siren:

My guy at the Civil Aerospace Medical Institute (CAMI FAA) told me that they didn't have a database to keep track of any of that data, but that he might have a colleague in another department that might know.

Of all the things the FAA keeps track of, I would have thought checkrides or certificates issued under 61 and 141 would have been one of them.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I created the Slack TeamChat everybody wanted a week or two ago.

https://join.slack.com/t/airgoons/shared_invite/MjM1NjI3Nzg2NDUxLTE1MDQ0ODUzMDktNjY5NThlMDQ5Ng

"AirGoons"
Password "airmet"

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Op update please

Just passed my MEI ride!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Congrats PT6A.

I'm curious, can you give a brief outline of the Oral and Practical? I'd like to see the Canadian version of these rides.

Did you have to have a certain amount of hours before you could take the ride, for example?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Lol Philadelphia

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah sounds like you were logical and are learning and didn’t kill yourself or your friend.

The ones where I felt the worst when I was learning was when I would scare friends out of aviation. Classic example, flying in 10knot winds on takeoff but doing a cross country to another unfamiliar airport with now 35kt winds.

I had 2 friends with me in a 172 and when we landed on the third try, I had to call a taxi for them to drive home because I was afraid of going back up in that weather.

Live and learn, just try not to ruin it for anybody else! (Taking my own advice here)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Nuggan posted:

I, at one point, knew out to get frequencies out of the gps, but it would be good to have a review. My main method is my ipad w/foreflight, and a 40 hour backup battery just in case.

Link to battery

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Good decision!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I heard Mooney’s and Cherokee 180s and CO poisoning.... I am BACK!

Sorry I’ve been gone a lot and haven’t argued with anybody lately. I’ve been writing my dissertation. I’m defending it on April 26th and then I’ll be Doctor Apollo :)

I will never rent an airplane ever again. I hated the experience. I want to own my airplane and know when the maintenance is due and never have to worry about whether or not another renter requires it back by 3:45pm on a Thursday afternoon.

Cherokee 180:

This last year I did an engine overhaul - BECAUSE I WANTED TO. I could have just overhauled the cylinders, but I like my airplane and I want the engine to perform. Cost me 17 grand but by the time it was overhauled it seemed like I just made 4 payments of 3.5k. Not that bad really

190 a month for an enclosed t hangar. Cheaper options exist but I’d never let my airplane sit outside. (Also I hate feds and nosy people so I don’t want them looking at my airplane if I’m not there).

450 a year for insurance.......

But honestly none of those expenses matter. I’m a PILOT, but one who is very rooted in GA. I never have cared about airlines or jets or hours or any of that crap. The ultimate thing to me is owning my own airplane and being able to go wherever the hell I want on short notice.

Edit: buying a 210 for a private? Consider yourself the dumbest person on the planet just for insurance and MX purposes. Buy a Cherokee or 172 for private and then once you know what’s going on you can buy a better plane.

Pride of ownership is a real thing. Honestly I look forward to spending money on my airplane.

Just FYI - Before the engine overhaul I was averaging less than 7k a year on hangar, insurance, and 50-100 hours on the plane.

This number would double if I had a Bonanza(gear swing)

Oh also I paid cash for half of my airplane. Purchase price was 37k. I got a loan for 16k “Just in case” and I kept a sizeable cash reserve......which I used for my engine overhaul ... but again the overhaul took so long I basically was able to pay myself back on every installment

All truth here folks

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 8, 2018

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Old republic.

Call Tom Hague with Wings Insurance in MN. Best company ever.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Research suggests that pilots with 4 year degrees in an aviation field perform better in ab initio training in the regional environment (Smith, NewMyer, Bjerke, Niemczyk, & Hamilton, 2010).

The 2010 Pilot Source Study, commissioned to research the success of pilots in initial training for Part 121 operations, analyzed the training performance of 2,156 new-hire pilots in the years 2005-2009.

Six regional airlines provided data that was mined from human resource and pilot training files. Five university researchers independently analyzed the data and integrated their results.

The study expressed success in terms of fewer extra training events and fewer non-completions in regional airline training. Statistically, the best performing pilots were those who had flight instructor certificates, graduated from collegiate accredited flight programs, received advanced (post-Private) pilot training in college, graduated with collegiate aviation degrees (any aviation discipline), and had between 500 and 1,000 preemployment flight hours.

Having a college degree (Associate or Bachelor’s) did not produce a difference in the number of extra training events during initial training with a regional airline; nor did it produce a significant relationship with the number of non-completions in initial training. However, if the college degree was an aviation degree (any aviation discipline), then the relationship changed.

Having an aviation degree produced fewer extra training events and comparatively fewer non-completions in initial training.

More significantly, if pilots earned their college degree in an AABI Accredited Flight Program, they had fewer extra training events and fewer noncompletions in initial training.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Grandseaplanes.com

Also on Facebook. Their location may surprise you.

The owner is also the one of the DPE choices.

Great operation. Usually takes about 6-8 hours to get proficient learning to land on the water.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well dudes.

I defended my dissertation on airplanes on Thursday. For years I had been planning to celebrate this accomplishment by changing my name to Dr. Apollo but apparently that account already exists and has 0 posts.

That's right.

Doctor. Pilot. Mooney. Bonanzas............ Apollo.

Get ready. It's showtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Animal posted:

I have permanent tinnitus.

WHAT

But really though bonanzas have some thick glass and you basically can’t even hear the engine. That’s why all those advertisements back in the day had pilots with no headsets.