Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm getting ready to dive into Paramotoring. There's a club with instructors in McKinney TX that I'm going to check out in the next week or two.

Anyone else tried it? Looks like it's a bit tough to try out without buying equipment but maybe I'll find out differently when I visit the club. I've purchased a copy of the Powered Paraglider Bible and I'm working my way through that. Seems quite a bit different to aircraft piloting but I can't imagine a cooler way to fly through the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
So, the first big confusion I had to work through was Powered Parachute (PPC)vs Powered Paraglider (PPG). Powered Paraglider is also called Paramotor in most parts of the world.

I'll be sticking with Paramotor because it doesn't require a medical and mine is toast this year. Looks like you CAN get a Part 103 Paramotor with a trike frame, but the foot launched harnesses seem more flexible and transportable if you don't have a physical limitation that would make running with the kit difficult.

It looks cool as hell, but it seems like tandem instruction/rides aren't super common. I'll need to ease into this. I've always been comfortable flying but having your legs swinging in open air is a bit different. I'd hate to put money into this and then find out it terrifies me.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

simble posted:

PPCs that aren’t part 103 ultralights are LSAs. If you’re medical lapses (and isn’t revoked) I’m pretty sure your PPL becomes a LSA license. Someone tell me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure I just read this in the PPC flying handbook.

It's getting revoked. Light sport is out for me.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Thank you. However, feeling healthy has been more than enough to offset the impact to my career. And my career isn't wrecked either. It's highly likely I'll be able to serve a support role somewhere and impact to my financials will be minimal. Even if that goes tits-up, it's still worth it. I have disability insurance for just that reason, but it shouldn't come to that.

I'm just ready to stop telling the flight surgeon about every detail of my life. Once you get them looking into you, it gets even more invasive than usual.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sweet. I'll look into it.

There's a place in DFW that I'll probably stick with for PPG just because it's close, so I'll be able to go without taking time off work.

I've heard great things about a school in Austin as well. But, proximity might decide it for me. I'm checking out the DFW place this week.

EDIT:
OH, that's where Princeton is. Maybe I'm thinking of the same guys. They call themselves something different on Facebook, and they say they're in farmersville, but they check in at a different town when they're flying. It's so difficult figuring out who's who, and what's what with this hobby.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 30, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Ah, I see that Princeton TX thing is for powered parachutes. I'm looking into powered paragliders. Funny there's a group for that in the same area. It must be a good spot for that type of flying.

But, that PPC place does intro flights, which aren't common with PPG places. So maybe I'll hit them up for that to get a taste of open air flying.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 30, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Nuggan posted:

I've been looking into paramotors for months now. My training starts next week! I'm thrilled, can't wait. Flying the piper I rent is fun and all, but this is just cruising around super low in a lawn chair, or chilling above the clouds having a morning coffee.

Excited for you. I bought the Paragliding Bible and I've been YouTubing and reading for about a month now. I'm dealing with some job related stuff right now but I really want to start training soon once that settles. Tell me everything after you go up.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

azflyboy posted:

maybe a certificate suspension if the pilot in question did something egregiously stupid.

Or argued about it with Flight Standards.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

e.pilot posted:

My favorite are PA announcements on guard

Even better: bilingual PA announcements. We waited in anticipation at the TRACON for the poo poo show to follow after that pilot unkeyed the mic. Loudest blocked frequency I've ever heard, as probably 100 other crews tried to chime in with their witty jabs.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
GGYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAARRRRRRDDDDDD

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It usually happens because everyone ASSUMES that the legit broadcast on guard is just another accidental transmission (because they aren't actually paying attention, they're just noticing the noise). So everyone gets in a hurry to key up and chastise the erroneous transmitter and let them know they're stupid and on the wrong radio. Except, in this case, it was a legit use of the guard frequency, and in their haste to be the coolest air-sherrif, they have now bitched at somebody who has done nothing wrong.

You can't win for losing when transmitting on guard. Extreme example (I'm making up but I'm sure it has happened):

"Mayday mayday mayday, Cessna 12345 over Somewhere, I have an engine fire and need help"

*10 cool kids stepping on each other transmitting at once*

"Geeeeeyaaaaarrrdddd!"

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 17, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone familiar with Flying Cloud airport? Just what the gently caress exactly is that pavement addition on the south side of runway 10R? There are structures on it that I don't recognize, maybe lighting? A weird assed glideslope antenna?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Figured it out. It's an END-FIRE glideslope antenna.

loving weird looking and I don't get why it was necessary there.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm thinking the proximity of the parallel taxiway precludes installing a normal antenna. Funny how it's described as cost-saving, but look at all the extra pavement it took to install that thing.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I understood what you meant, PT6A. It's ok. I'm sure they're ready.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Nuggan posted:

Finished my paramotor training last weekend. It's an amazing and incredibly freeing form of flight. Just knowing I can come home from work on a nice day and go fly without having had to have rented a plane a day in advance is wonderful. I recommend it to everyone to give it a try!

That's so badass, I wanna hear about the places you launch from. I'm imagining taking off from public parks but I can't figure out how to easily determine whether local ordinances prohibit that kind of thing.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Nice. I actually live within a Class B surface area, but I don't have to drive far before I'm outside of it. Then it's just a matter of staying away from congested areas. Parks near lakes seemed ideal.

Oh, I still need to visit the local paramotor school I suppose.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

vessbot posted:

So after 2 years at the airlines I finally realized what CVG stands for: CoVinGton :aaaaa:

Lol noob

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've had a Skylane start to creep up on a 767 on final before. Nothing surprises me anymore.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rickety Cricket posted:

Are you taking a Beech 99 into DCA?

I hear they can fit several of those on the runway at the same time there!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Some people are taught never to quit or give up on anything.

It's a parenting cliche and it's dumb as poo poo.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Wrong surface landings/takeoffs are so common that they're an FAA "Top 5" focus.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rolo posted:

I actually did this a couple weeks ago and the dude SLAMMED on the brakes when we had plenty of room to stop.

Let’s say we’re moving west on A, told to hold short of 01R. As we’re moving closer ground just says something along the lines of “continue A, hold short 01L.” This required us to cross 01R, an active runway, but ground never mentioned that part. Before I could read it back and ask, dude started rolling forward and I just say “Stop” and he stops on a dime. I asked again to let me cross, got better directions for the tape, and we were on our way.

Ground gave me attitude but I will argue all day that I was right to do it :colbert:.

Hundred percent. We pass out pilot deviations to FSDO like candy for crossing runways without a specific clearance. In that case, if there was a mix-up and you had crossed, it would get reported and you'd get to go through all that nonsense.

If ATC was complicit in the error, we'd deviate them also but the voluntary reporting program and subsequent handling of operational errors isn't nearly as cumbersome nor career impacting like a pilot getting attention from flight standards.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

a patagonian cavy posted:

I kinda believe it because I know for a fact that one of my fellow CFIs was on the ILS in a skyhawk at the reported time +/- 20m.

The fact that that holds hundreds of people in 737s for any length of time blows my mind.

The Cessna has to land sometime....

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

Huh, neat. So it is basically the equivalent of our class C after all. Looking at wikipedia it looks like airspace between 10,000 ft. and the class A floor is class E in the US. That's a significant difference.

In most areas, class E starts at 700 or 1200 AGL and goes up to 17,999999999999999999999999999999MSL excepting the airport airspaces like B, C, and D. In super unpopulated, mountainous areas, it can start a little higher, but since it's based of AGL the base altitudes are often sufficient.

Some non-towered airports have Class E airspace to the surface. They are shown with segmented magenta rings on a sectional chart. Part-time towered airports often revert to class E or Class G when the tower is closed, depending on what the chart supplement says.

PT6A posted:

EDIT: I looked up the US airspace definitions and it looks like our Class C is basically American Class B, but without the requirement to hold at least a PPL or an instructor signoff. You must proceed in accordance with a clearance at all times. American class C (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) seems to have the requirement for a mode C transponder and establishing radio communications, but you don't specifically need a clearance. The equivalent in Canada would be a Class C airspace with a transponder requirement.

So although your Class C requires a specific clearance, it doesn't require a transponder?

Also, in case this wasn't obvious, Class B, C and D airspaces in the U.S. are found only around certain airports. Class A, E, and G are everywhere else.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
In the radar environment, especially once you get within a couple hundred miles of the destination, you can get planes way more tightly spaced with mileage based separation, which requires more finessing of speed assignments.

Time based metering works on a macro level, but once you get closer in, we gotta get you up each other's butts.

Any time-based restriction is going to require a +/- tolerance that would allow too much space between aircraft.

That doesn't mean you AREN'T getting excessively adjusted. Some controllers are better than others. But at the end of the day almost everyone at the primary airport lands between 2.5 and 3nm in trail of the last arrival and it's about as tight as it can get before people stop vacating the runway in time for the next guy.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 17, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Arson Daily posted:

That’s really interesting thanks. What is the time tolerance anyway?

No clue honestly. But variances of even 30 seconds could cause several miles of difference in achieved separation. When you're getting reasonably close and trying to get exactly 10 or exactly 5 miles between arrivals with speeds assigned it just makes more sense to manage the airspeed assignments instead of issuing times.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

So even if they entered the temperature wrong.... what keeps one of the pilots from saying “hey maybe we aren’t making this one” and aborting or firewalling it after lift off so you don’t fly low for two miles? I mean surely the thing had the power for it

Premature Netflix deployment.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

azflyboy posted:

While waiting for our passengers to show up, I heard an airline crew actually ask ATC for a new transponder code today, since the controller gave them 6667 with their clearance, which makes Jesus sad or something.

After a couple of minutes the controller came back with "Squawk 6660" (he said the other codes were all assigned), at which point the FO and I started cracking up enough that the flight attendants could hear us from the back of the plane.

4666 was generated in our facility pretty often and there was always one local pilot that would ask to have it changed.

Frankly I'd accept Satan's blessing and carry on, but it's the south, so I get it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Take a hit, crack a Pepsi and take that poo poo to FL410

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's very common for aircraft to play around just outside of class D airspace so that they don't have to call the tower. It's great when they do this at the final approach fix and at the glide path altitude.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Desi posted:

Yes it was. That crash defines the -200. From a lack of performance whilst being empty, the two douches flying it, everything.

I just have to chime in, though......

It was a Pepsi, not a Coke.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The DFW TRACON building caught fire. If you've seen a ground stop, that's why.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rolo posted:

Is large purple the one with the arrow?

Crap now I can't unsee it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There are control position indicators on the MFDs that move with control input.

Or you make the FO stand outside and watch during the preflight.

God I hate the voice that article is written in. It's like nails on a chalkboard. In my eyeballs.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 8, 2019

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Amazed there were no injuries with that bank angle. Hard to tell what they hit but that just looked like a recipe for tumbling and cartwheeling.

Oh and since everyone lived, Cirrus pilots :rolleyes:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Slaughter posted:

Goon news:
Been away from this thread for too long, but I got hired at Yoonited this week.
I still can’t believe it. Feels like winning the lotto.

That's awesome. Congratulations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Good opportunity to review communicating aircraft equipment issues with ATC. I knew what the situation was from the description and the captions, and I still heard "returning to land" when he said "runaway trim."

Also, ATC may not understand the phrase "runaway trim." Dumbing it down is always best. I know these guys were trying not to die, so not judging of course. But just something to think about in your personal operating practices.

I don't think ATC fully understood how out of control that aircraft really was until well-after the situation had calmed down.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Hold up I need to see this.