Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Oh dear...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Controllers/Management at the facility level, unfortunately, can not ensure that any specific incident won't be later pursued by audits from higher up. Analysts at the regional level and higher get automatically notified by the radar software when there's a loss of separation, and if you were given a number it was probably entered into a reporting system for simple tracking purposes, which was later reviewed by someone else higher up even though there was no loss. It could have been caught on a random audit also.

This is why the phone number must be accompanied by the "possible pilot deviation" disclaimer (the Brasher warning), even if they just want to talk. If that language wasn't used, the facility should correct that practice, since it clearly places the pilot at a disadvantage when deciding whether to submit a statement or voluntarily report.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Class C and D airports with Final Approach Fixes outside of the surface area (most of them) are far worse.

Don't need to talk or squawk to hang out on the final at intercept altitude and get in everyone's way.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
One day, a single C-5 from San Antonio was doing practice approaches to Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, and the calls were relentless.

"There are 5 military jets making attack runs on downtown!"

"These airplanes are violating the airspace over my property!"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My instructor had me weave a mechanical pencil between my fingers (so that portions of it were both in front of, and behind, my finger bones) for a few flights. Tensing your hand up will then cause enough discomfort to snap you out of it and encourage you to relax.

For my legs, I just try to remember to wiggle my toes a lot.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Erisian Automata posted:

So, an emergency is an emergency, and bad stuff happens which we try to minimize. But uh. Sorry about the jet fuel we dumped on your kids?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/17-kids-injured-after-delta-jet-dumps-fuel-l-playground-n1115586

I always wondered what happens with all that fuel.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Hindsight is what it is, but I wouldn't normally get excited about a helicopter moving around in those conditions.

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s a helicopter, he can get right over the area and then descend below the clouds at the pace of a light jog, right?

ATC doesn't really have a way to let them do that

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess you can’t run a contact approach to random parking lot?

You can't run a contact approach without being able to see the ground. So if you were in the clouds I don't know how you'd get there.

And yeah, you need to do it to a spot that has an instrument approach anyhow.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

Everytime I check onto my local field (KNSE) IFR, the tower asks me to report canceling IFR. Doesn't matter what the conditions are: flew an RNAV to mins on Friday and was asked to cancel at the final. I considered asking the tower controller to loving look outside. Today, when I responded that I was cleared to land, the tower asked me to "confirm canceling IFR." I ignored them because gently caress that.

I was always under the impression that you can't be asked to cancel IFR from ATC? Are my local controllers idiots? (They are Navy students but they do have a civilian supervisor up there).

Sounds weird and/or predictably military. Call them and ask.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Inland ATC isn't really using ADSB for much of anything right now. Most tower/TRACON controllers leave the display settings for it turned off on the STARS radar settings.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sounds like contract-tower shenanigans. My condolences.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The rule on abbreviating foreign callsigns just got a change/clarification in the US. Used to be, you could (arguably) abbreviate them after initial contact. No longer as of January 30th.

It kinda makes sense, it can be difficult enough working through whatever language barrier may exist.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You can find flight check aircraft on flightaware sometimes. The 3-letter is "FLC." I found FLC51 on there.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
In the ten years we've known each other, I have never known you to be a quiet person.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
He is applying for government jobs and they're a poo poo show too.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sorry you have feelings about your financial security.

:smuggo:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
AERIAL, guys, c'mon.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

CBJSprague24 posted:

I joined the Discord but I'm going to keep going with the thread until the heat death of the Sun or the forums close, whichever comes first, as it's easier to follow.

Depends on if the FAA completes their investigation before or after the civil war.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Idle-power short approaches for the win.

I'm sure I hit 3 degrees at some point.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I figure it'd be better to get them higher up before they left the airport perimeter.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'll just add that D10 (Regional Approach for DFW Dallas Ft Worth) doesn't allow IFR overflights either unless it's a medevac or special case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Phanatic posted:

medical issues

Consider checking out AMAS: https://www.aviationmedicine.com

They can help review your medical history and give you guidance before sending anything further to the FAA.

Kraftwerk posted:

Also I'm not sure the FAA permits you to fly with an active SSRI prescription.

There are avenues to get this approved but it's involved and requires a Special Issuance with routine follow up. It's only for like 6 SSRIs too.