Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

vessbot posted:

I guess since we're doing updates for the list

ATP
Types:
L-39 Albatros
TBM Avenger

Who does one need to know to get to play with toys like these? Also, what's the insurance like for those birds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

vessbot posted:

I remember an Endeavor JFK pilot posting about upgrading to Captain, about a year ago, when I was getting hired. Are you still around? Has Goonflight possibly already happened? ^-- Initials VV.

Haha. Yeah it's happened and I didn't even know it. I think I saw you eating lunch at JFK today.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

vessbot posted:

Haha, nice. If it was near the Five Boroughs around 12:30, I was there. Who are you? Gimme your bid spot for this month or something like that

26 on the CA bid list for August. DA. I'll try to mention something about stairs next time I see you.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Right, but would your dispatchers have drawn up a flight plan right through a hurricane and/or would any of your captains have said anything other than ":lol: no" when they got the paperwork?

Dispatcher: I gave you 1000 lbs extra for deviations and an alternate. It looks like it's starting to die down. I think you'll be fine.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Rolo posted:

NYC Pilots: does your pay reflect the insane cost of living there? I’ve been in the area for a few days and have always loved the idea of moving to New York City.

How unreal would it be for a 2000 total 1500 jet 500 jet PIC pilot to actually be able to live there and not die a poor husk?

It doesn't matter where you live, pay is the same. You'll benefit in increased relative seniority because NYC is not a desirable place for pilots to be based. Many senior pilot choose to be based elsewhere. That means better schedules and quicker upgrades than at other bases.

Regional pay has changed a lot in the past couple years. You'll make 60k+ at Endeavor your first year.

Just do what everyone else does in New York and get a roommate. Live in Brooklyn or Queens. If you're in your 20's or early 30's you'll have a good time. Plus you'll be easily be able to pick up overtime at 150 or 200 percent basically anytime you want.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

overdesigned posted:

congrats I guess

I want to say something mean or cynical or make bad joke about mormons but I won't. I hope they're very happy together in their one bedroom apartment by the airport.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Can we also blame Trump for the bomb cyclone cancelling everything in the northeast tomorrow? Guess I’ll be stuck sitting around in NYC refreshing my schedule all day.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Unfortunately this sounds like pilot error to me. Reminds me of the southwest captain that smashed the landing gear through a wing taking over a landing in LGA. Landing is a bad time to exchange flight controls.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Rolo posted:

Got up at 5am for a flight this morning that went well, time to sit back and relax in the lounge for a couple hours.

Oh no wait NetJets is here, here’s to several hours of loud as poo poo Fox and Friends.

Just wait for them to fall asleep and loudly snore then grab the remote. Or tell them you saw someone walking off with their crew meals.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

xaarman posted:

Good to know! Every other one made sure to tell me how great their life is but I could never get a job and be great like them because no one ever leaves the greatest job... and if I was looking at the airlines, I'm not cut out to be a corporate pilot anyways.

*shrugs*

It is funny to me that the common perception of corporate pilots is that if you ever worked for an airline you can’t fly corporate because of some lack of customer service skills. As if you ever fly a n airliner you lose the ability to load golf bags and get coffee, ice and papers from an underpaid line guy.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

How does anyone live in freaking Honolulu on $36 an hour?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

I have a friend who's currently in the right seat on the MD-88, New York based. He seems happy enough with how things are going, though he's moving his family to Detroit and switching to the 717 this month for better QOL.

Anything's better than the commuting nightmares he told me about at Compass living in Virginia and being Los Angeles based.

Another friend was LAX based on the 717 and just upgraded to the 767 out of SEA though I don't get to hear from him as often.

Moving his family to Detroit, nice. Well at least he can drive to work now. BTW do you know if he was a flow pilot from Compass or did he get hired later OTS?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/03/23/how-cnn-airport-force-feeds-partisan-content-to-unsuspecting-travelers.html

If Fox News is going to complain about CNN at airports then CNN should run an article about Fox News blaring 24/7 at every FBO pilot lounge, especially if there is a NetJets pilot within about 100 yards.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

I'm all for applauding the crew for doing a remarkable job landing that plane safely but can we agree to be at least a little critical of their decision to fly through that poo poo in the first place?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

My enjoyment in this career at this point is often very dependent on the person stuck flying with me.

I’m not saying I’m the life of the party but if you’re cool and have fun interests outside of aviation that we can chat about you are at least not going to make me want to smash my head against the yoke. I just had the 5 day from hell so it’s now particularly important to me who I get as an FO.

It’s super demoralizing when I fly with a sloppy FO who can’t be bothered to actually read a checklist properly making about 3 to 4 time’s as much as I made when I was in his seat a few years ago.

Maybe I’m just burnt out on flying RJs. I’m hopefully going to the widget soon and maybe that will rekindle my love of this job. At least there is enough of a shortage that I can pay my bills now so that part of my career is looking up.

Two Kings fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 22, 2018

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

KodiakRS posted:

So is Boeing going to re-name the 175/190 like they did for what's now the 717? Am I about to be type rated in the 797?

:bravo:

As if SJS wasn’t bad enough now all these new RJ FOs are going to start bragging about “flying a Boeing”.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

azflyboy posted:

I believe it went down on a very sparsely populated island in the San Juans, and there's no reports of any injuries on the ground.

Now I'm wondering how much longer I'll have a job, since Horizon was already the unloved stepchild of Alaska, and this could be the excuse to shut us down and outsource all the flying to non- union regionals.

Or maybe they will realize how abused and beaten down employees are there and try to improve things. Could go either way.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

KodiakRS posted:

Luckily MOCHAHAGTDI has stayed in Boston and not spread like SEEYA.

I haven't heard that much since Boston John retired.

Edit: Boston John is the man.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

I wonder if the French put a very large boot on one of the main landing gear.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Nuclear powered aircraft seem like a reasonable idea until one inevitably crashes and renders the surrounding area permanently uninhabitable.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

vessbot posted:

I dunno, everyone always talks about the weirdness and whatnot of landing the 200, but for me it came much easier. It was my first variant and I took to it like a duck to water. After switching to "the heavy," it took me a bunch of months to get consistent.

edit: but only recently it dawned on me that our 900's GPWS doesn't say the heights below 50, whereas the 200s say "thirty, twent, ten..." so that may have something to do with it too.

Nah the 200 lands better than the 9 because of the gear. The 900 seemed liked you always had to fly it the ground to get a good landing. The 200 you could flare like a Cessna.

I couldn’t imagine not having the callouts below 50 ft doing a Cat II landing. The lights are so drat bright it’s really hard to judge how high above the ground you are without the callouts.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Animal posted:

I imagine you’d take a short differences course.

The cockpit is the same, so I imagine you’ll be able to start it and fly it and land it. It may not be pretty. I hear the 757 is even more of a rocket than the already peppy 767.

The 767 handles better but the 757-200 is by far better performer. It wasn’t called the Atari Ferrari for nothing,

The 757-300 performs more similar to the 767.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

What happens if you design a plane and nobody buys it?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Boeing has over 5,000 orders for the Max. It is too big to fail.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

greasyhands posted:

121 Pilots, as a whole, are the most unselfaware demographic I have ever encountered.

It’s an incredibly insular and homogenous profession. What other job do you work for the same employer for almost your whole career and work almost exclusively with 90% white males? It’s a feedback loop.

For better or worse it’s an unusual career in this day and age. Now that I’ve left the regionals and I’m a wide body FO I fly with a lot of senior (old) pilots. I’m not going to change their minds. I just want to have a semi enjoyable trip and get home safely.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Are their flight attendants trying to unionize or are they going after the pilot's union?

Flight attendants. ALPA isn’t going anywhere at Delta.

I doubt that the FA will actually unionize. There is probably rumblings because the pilots are in contract negotiations that will likely include across the board improvements. So the FAs will loudly complain and the company will give in to some of their demands to keep them non union. It’s great for the FAs. They get all the benefits of a union (ALPA) without paying the dues,

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Want percent do you need to score to get a refund?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

Goongrats and good luck!

I use gleim to renew my cfi and Dr. Gleim is the one who signs my 8710 it’s adorable :kimchi:
He even wrote me an email after I left feedback on one of the modules.

Dr. Gleim is a real person? And alive? I figured he was like Mavis Beacon.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

John and Martha King were gunned down by police while being suspected of stealing a Cessna 172 in a tragic case of mistaken identity.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Nice work Comrades! The Soviet Sully.

Also why do birds like flying into Airbus so much?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

You’d think Air Canada almost landing on a taxiway in SFO and potentially killing hundred of people would have motivated the FAA to fix the NOTAM system.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Reserve beard is the greatest beard.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Isn’t his family suing Atlas? Doesn’t seem like they would have a leg to stand on if he lied about his training record.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Rekinom posted:

They're called career widebody bunkie FO's. I'm all about delaying upgrade for QoL, but at some point it gets to be suspect.

Don’t end up as the guy who’s biggest decision as a pilot is which crew meal to choose.

While not always their own fault, wide body FO’s brains seem to turn to oatmeal in the right seat if they remain there for too long.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

When do we get so desperate for pilots that airlines start bankrolling pilots in exchange for indentured servitude like in China?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

The NG is Southwest’s fault.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Compass is dead. Crazy that this thing killed two weakened airlines in a week. I remember just 5 or so years ago that was the best regional to go to. Things change fast. Getting rejected there was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Well that’s not good. Can we all just cancel and go VFR?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Impossible to tell right now. All the major airlines are saying they are expecting to come out of this smaller but we’re also seeing a lot of mandatory retirements coming soon and the potential for buyouts as well before they start putting pilots on the street. There was a pilot shortage before this compete collapse so who knows? My airlines seems to be trying to start a conflict between the pilots (union) and the threat of the employees (non-union) so I don’t have any faith that what they are saying or doing are at all in our interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Much to my surprise, I just got my first IOE trip scheduled for later this week! 7 weeks since the checkride, but I'm just glad they got around to fitting me into the massively reduced schedule. 3 trips this month with a nice mix of west coast and midwest flying.

Great. You can blame your bad landings on the light loads.